Texas Hunting Forum

Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow

Posted By: DustyArmadillo

Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/02/23 10:52 PM

Had an acquaintance ask if he could borrow my chainsaw a few weeks ago.

Mumbled something back to him like “yeah sure no problem”

Then basically ignored him as I was leaving the lease.

Been burned with stuff like that in the past.

Wishing I would’ve just told him straight up, “I don’t loan out anything with a motor on it.”

Curious if anyone else has a policy about loaning stuff out.

If so, how do you explain it to them so they don’t get butt hurt triggered?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/02/23 10:54 PM

Neither a borrower nor lender be. Hamlet, Act I, Scene 3.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/02/23 11:09 PM

Sure, my brother may have it. Or I will come help you.

If they are close enough accept the offer to help, they need the help. If they wont accept the help, they don't need to borrowing my tools.

If I loan a hand tool, I take a picture of it, explaining...After i forget I loaned this out, the pic will keep from looking for it for two hours before I remember it's on loan.

Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/02/23 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Neither a borrower nor lender be. Hamlet, Act I, Scene 3.

Wise man!
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 12:06 AM

Women, guns, chainsaws and tractors they never come back the same.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 12:10 AM

I’m e had numerous people ask to borrow my RZR, everything from just a day to a week out of state. I don’t have an issue with it but they never leave the $35,000 deposit confused2
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 12:21 AM

Wade, an RZR ain't a chainsaw! It really does depend on who and what. The few people that I call my friends - yes easily because I know how it will look when it comes back.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 12:27 AM

Heck,
I’ve had sledgehammer and pick axe come back with broken handles, and the pick was bent. circular saw with a cord that had a different half of the cord due to sawing through the cord. Not interested in loaning out anything more mechanical than that.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 12:30 AM

Anything with an electric motor, gasoline engine or a barrel. The only time I let someone (co-worker) borrow a firearm their son sold it for drugs.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 01:05 AM

Anyone I'd let borrow anything will bring it back as good or better than when they got it. Anyone who wouldn't, I'm not friends with.
Posted By: WalkSoftly

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 01:16 AM

So far this year, I’ve let various people borrow my tractor, vehicle, tools and chainsaw. It’s all been returned in the same or better condition it left in thankfully. But regardless, they are all just material possessions and replaceable.

Borrowed my dads splitting maul last fall and broke the handle. He got it returned with a brand new handle later that week and a word was never said between us about it. That is just the expectation when borrowing or lending things in my mind.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 01:23 AM

Lawn equipment
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 01:38 AM

I used to be young and dumb and loaned my tractor to a friend. He left the key on and ran the battery down. Not that bad of a thing, but he tried to jump it off and hooked the cabled up backwards and exploded the battery. He did clean it up and replaced the battery. He was luck not to loose his vision as he was covered in battery acid.
Well, I thought he had learned so I loaned it to him again. He was brush hogging behind his house knowing full well there were some tall stumps. He was going way to fast and hit one just right and broke a front axle into.
After that, I just went and mowed it for him. Way easier and cheaper.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 01:59 AM

There’s a very very short list of folks I’d loan anything to. But, loaning to me is workable. Years ago my wife wanted some tilling done, and she said she had a lady friend with a walk behind tiller. So I went to get it. It hadn’t been run in 15 or 20 years. I put new tires on it, took the engine apart and cleaned up the valves and scraped out the old oil. New spark plug and pull rope. Rebuilt the carb. The old thing still had compression and fired up. I used it, took it back, told her what I had done and that it ran now. I wasn’t looking for money for what I did, but a thank you would have been appreciated.

These days I don’t borrow stuff and rarely loan stuff, but I will loan to the neighbor. He’ll bring it back better than he got it.

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:00 AM

'Hate that look from a supposed friend, right after he breaks something of yours and you realize YOU'RE gonna pay to replace it. Some folks go through their whole life like that. "Help me, I'm poor." bang I can't tolerate the clueless.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Anyone I'd let borrow anything will bring it back as good or better than when they got it. Anyone who wouldn't, I'm not friends with.

On the money Sir
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:05 AM

Had a friend years ago ask if he could “ borrow” my girlfriend for night. Aaaah No!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:06 AM

I guess at this point it depends what friend and what it is. At this point I think the only hard no I have is my wife.

I’ve lent my truck, I’ve lent my boat, I’ve lent them both at the same time, lent guns they all always found their way home fine. I’ve borrowed too, but never anyone’s wife.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:13 AM

Short list of people I’d lend my stuff to but I’d lend them almost anything that doesn’t have sentimental value. Everyone on the list would pay in full to replace or repair anything I give them and the same goes for me and their stuff.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:17 AM

I never loan anything that I’m not willing to give away, including money.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:28 AM

Old man buddy of mine used to say back when I was fishing all the time…two things you don’t loan out, your boat and your wife…because a rod could be thrown in both of them rofl

Substitute anything with a motor for boat.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
I’m e had numerous people ask to borrow my RZR, everything from just a day to a week out of state. I don’t have an issue with it but they never leave the $35,000 deposit confused2

roflmao Name them so we can publicly shame them. I know I have never asked
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:31 AM

I haven't seen my trailer in two weeks. interesting thread

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Judd
Old man buddy of mine used to say back when I was fishing all the time…two things you don’t loan out, your boat and your wife…because a rod could be thrown in both of them rofl

Substitute anything with a motor for boat.

Airplane too... 3 Fs rule Sir.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I haven't seen my trailer in two weeks. interesting thread

rofl
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:51 AM

I'm a D_ck and don't loan anything I own. Not worth it. I won't ask to borrow anything either.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 02:57 AM

I’ll loan anything I have to good friends besides money. Money makes ppl act funny. I’ve done it a few times against my better judgment and they’ve all turned out the same except for one time.

Never again to family or friends.

But you want to barrow my chainsaw I could give a [censored] less.

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I'm a D_ck and don't loan anything I own. Not worth it. I won't ask to borrow anything either.

We just buy your [censored] when you get tired of it roflmao
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 03:29 AM

Depends on the friend and how they take responsibility
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 03:50 AM

I hate loaning out my chainsaw, and won't lend it but to a select few. I will, however, loan anything to my neighbor at the ranch. He's just really good people and has been a big help to my MIL through the years.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
'Hate that look from a supposed friend, right after he breaks something of yours and you realize YOU'RE gonna pay to replace it. Some folks go through their whole life like that. "Help me, I'm poor." bang I can't tolerate the clueless.

Yup, lost some tools to some friends. Never to be seen again. That power paint roller, I'm still pizzed about that. soap
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 10:25 AM

I don't have a friend that I wouldn't loan anything I own. Without fail they all (8) do the right thing under any circumstance.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I don't have a friend that I wouldn't loan anything I own. Without fail they all (8) do the right thing under any circumstance.

how I roll.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 01:39 PM

Some of you guys must have some crappy friends, I’ll loan anything I own to a friend besides by wife. I know with 100% certainty if they mess it up I’ll get it back in better shape or more than likely I’ll get a brand new one back in its place.

Posted By: Superduty

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 03:10 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 03:39 PM

I've got brothers that are welcome to anything I have, except my wife.

"We" own some expensive things.

Not on my place: scissor lift, Skid Pro shredder. I have borrowed those.

On my place: 32' tandem dual trailer, 16' dump bed trailer, 16' flat bed trailer, several skid steer implements. I have loaned out those.

All three trailers have come back with one or more new tires on them. And I tried to pay them back for those. No dice, they ain't havin it.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 03:56 PM

I let a neighbor borrow a ladder. Four or five months later, I had to go retrieve it from him.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 04:59 PM

I lend out dang near everything and tell them: I don't mind lending it out but I want to know when are you bringing it back and if you break it or lose it, your paying me for another one.
What I hate is to have to ask someone for my stuff back when it is passed the return date, same thing with money.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 05:19 PM

I have some good friend that have borrowed tractor trailers trucks and tools. I know if they damage them they will take care of it. I have a 20 foot gooseneck and needed to haul some pipe. Got my buddies 30 footer told me to keep it over here so his brother can’t borrow it. roflmao
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 05:47 PM

I surround myself with good folks so no real reservations on loaning just about anything. 9 times out of 10 I get it back better than it left. No problem asking for it back quickly if I had to but that is not very often.
Posted By: R83steve

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 07:08 PM

I don’t like to loan anything out. If folks ask to borrow my stuff, I generally tell them that I will come over and help them take care of the job. And I operate my tools and that way if I break it, it’s on me.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
I lend out dang near everything and tell them: I don't mind lending it out but I want to know when are you bringing it back and if you break it or lose it, your paying me for another one.
What I hate is to have to ask someone for my stuff back when it is passed the return date, same thing with money.

The lending part of this saga is at the bottom of this epic saga grin

My Toro self propelled lawnmower which runs great except the drive belt for the self propelled keeps falling off bang
Was having drinks with my neighbor's about a month ago and told them I was probably going to buy a new one for it is hell mowing the creek bank with a bum knee.
My neighbor replied since we have yard service do ours now you can have our Toro lawnmower. (side note; I found that mower for them cheap on a website, then went and picked it up for them in my truck)

We have some nice fairly new neighbors right next door to me that has spent a ton of money on landscaping their front yard. Their grass was way over grown and I had not seen them in a while so I did a well fare check on them. Turns out he was having issues with his latest group of yard guys so he punted them and not sure if he wants to do it himself or find someone else?
So I told him he could use my lawnmower and once I took possession of my neighbors he could have mine.

He knocked on my door about 15 minutes ago wanting to use it, so I just gave it to him and walked over to my neighbors and got theirs.
I also let him borrow my new Echo weed eater and electric edger. He brought the weed eater and edger back promptly and bestowed this to me.

What goes around comes around . up

[Linked Image]
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Espy
I have some good friend that have borrowed tractor trailers trucks and tools. I know if they damage them they will take care of it. I have a 20 foot gooseneck and needed to haul some pipe. Got my buddies 30 footer told me to keep it over here so his brother can’t borrow it. roflmao

I had a scissor lift for 8 months. I called and said I can bring back any day he wants it. He said "you've got more room for it than me, can you keep it in your shop?" Absolutely!

Re: Things you don’t let your friends/neighbor borrow - 06/03/23 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Espy

I've moved more than a couple things so my brother wouldn't see it and ask to borrow it (and he was my boss and made a helluva lot more money than me). May he rest in peace.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum