Texas Hunting Forum

It got down to the wire but I'm still here!

Posted By: RLoving1

It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 11:38 AM

Yesterday I had a incident at work. 10,000 lbs forklift and 1 ton piece of equipment. Was going to relocate it and had to widen the forks, "thought I had it in nuetral" stepped off and was between lift and equipment. Pulled pin and kicked forks wider and had 2 foot gap i was in and fork lift went forward! I was aprox. 75 yards from shop and was pinned there for about 3-4 minutes. Pelvis is bruised and one butt cheek is battered from the ensuing fight. Help showed up from neighboring shop about 150-200 yards away Compressor at our back door made my guys hearing me impossible.I fought long and hard, at first fear and pain, and the thought entered my mind I was going to die this way then anger due to how my son would hear the news since he is a shop foreman where I work. I am a fight and give 100% here at work but realiozed one of many mistakes could have been mentally giving up. The pain eased and I realized things were getting foggy and I had limited strength left. Out of nowhere these 2 guys appeared and only strength I had left was 3 words, reverse, reverse, reverse! Minor injuries and sore as sick dog but dealing with mental aspect of I almost surrendered and how it would have affected others around me. Ready and willing for reprimand and ridicule but still alive to take and enjoy it, maybe the training coming from this will save others down the line. Thanks guys
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 11:42 AM

Glad you're still among us! Bet your guardian angel had a sip of the strong stuff after that. Did you have OSHA paperwork you had to fill out? grin

Thank God for the neighbors!
Posted By: jskin

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 11:52 AM

Geez brother! That’s tough glad it wasn’t your time
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 12:01 PM

Glad you're OK. Get your hips, back and guts checked out if you haven't yet. That's a lot of pressure on the bones and joints.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 12:05 PM

Dang.
Glad you're okay.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 12:07 PM

good lesson, never dismount a running forklift. big no no in our shop.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

ours as well. safety is priority #1
Posted By: Davis300

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 12:17 PM

Dang! Crazy story Brother, glad the end result was good! Was just not your time yet. Hug the family a little tighter today.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 12:18 PM

Wow that would be a tough way to go, stay safer.

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 12:25 PM

I can see our fork lift program being revised which is fine by me! Lower torso is good, I am blessed with genetics of a roach...hard to rub me out! No body at home to notify only my son who would have been the person to hear the news then he could pass it on, just stress of idea of them telling him. It was a terrifying experience while it was happening, it was nightmare coming true. Will step back and do things at different pace in future. Always said with what I have been through only reason I am still here is heaven ain't ready and he!! don't want me back!
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 12:29 PM

Glad you are still here to tell the story, Don't forget to thank the Lord.
Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 12:46 PM

Dang dude. If you need anything let me know. I’m out of town til Friday but I’ll be here. Holler if you need anything
Posted By: Superduty

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 12:58 PM

Whew, glad everything came out ok. Angels were watching, buy those boys a beer.

Get some rest.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 01:04 PM

Wow. Glad you escaped the jaws of death
Posted By: PMK

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 01:22 PM

eeks333 yikes! glad you are okay!!! As I age, the safety aspect has been greatly elevated for me.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
eeks333 yikes! glad you are okay!!! As I age, the safety aspect has been greatly elevated for me.

THIS^^^^^
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 01:33 PM

Damn, that's tough. Sometimes near death experiences can help reset us. Take us out of tunnel vision mode, and appreciate all things around us...... glad you made it out.
Posted By: Texas452

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 01:34 PM

Not good.
A guy I know yesterday was tilling a pasture with his tractor, a swarm of bees attacked him, he jumped off without putting it in neutral, the tractor ran over his hip, he was life flighted.
He didn’t break any bones, the worst part was the bee stings because he’s allergic to them.
He did get to go home last night.
It doesn’t take a second and a life can be changed.
I hope you get better.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 01:35 PM

Wow! Glad you’re all right.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 01:37 PM

Glad you're okay! Can't cast any stones as I recall some of the stupid/dumb crap I've done over the years and got away with being in a hurry or any of the other excuses for shortcutting the right way! Again, glad you made it!
Posted By: Deans

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 02:27 PM

PTL things worked in your favor and you are just sore.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 02:31 PM

Hopefully someone can learn from your accident. I have changed the forks on a lift many, many times with the lift still running, but the emergency break was on, and it was in neutral. We had no Forklift safety policy that said the FL had to be shut off when you get off for whatever reason. Maybe the new safety policy should be to shut off the FL before getting off for any reason whatsoever. Glad you are going to live to tell the story.
Posted By: Judd

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 02:51 PM

Glad you are alright...hope you heal up fast.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 02:57 PM

Glad you're ok, but the bright side is, there has to be some sense of pride knowing the next safety meeting will focus on something you did, and survived.
Posted By: Guy

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 03:00 PM

Wow, glad you made it!

Safety rules are a good thing.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 04:26 PM

Glad you made it - thx for sharing story. Get yourself checked out - better safe than sorry.

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Wow, glad you made it!

we do it at the corporate level. we have 8 major plants and 20+ shops across 5 countries, so safety is huge. that said, it's very dangerous work and accidents will always happen to some degree.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 04:45 PM

Happy you \didn't end up as a workplace fatality. You were close. Thank God and your guardian angel.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/03/23 06:11 PM

You surely had your guardian angel with you. Count your blessing's, glad all is well!.

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/04/23 11:43 AM

Little update, yesterday wasn't bad as I thought moving around shop, news flash was still in shock and body was still going through some changes. By end of day was sore but the swelling in pelvic area was still settling and now I am SORE, which I expected. Swelling is making going to restroom a real joy for awhile. May take company up on talking to someone, having thoughts back to the experience and they are haunting me and not handling it at times. The thoughts are tough if I talk out loud about it I seem to get upset and irritable. I don't share experience much cause I don't want to hear the "I remember when" stories. This is current and it had impact on me,I'm glad other survived their ordeals just I got some physical and mental bruises to deal with. So much for me thinking I'm a tough guy.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/04/23 12:05 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/04/23 12:08 PM

Glad you're okay. Sharing stories like this, especially with your work crew, may just prevent someone else from getting killed. We call them "war stories" and I encourage my guys to share their experiences so others don't have to learn the hard way.

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/04/23 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by RLoving1
Little update, yesterday wasn't bad as I thought moving around shop, news flash was still in shock and body was still going through some changes. By end of day was sore but the swelling in pelvic area was still settling and now I am SORE, which I expected. Swelling is making going to restroom a real joy for awhile. May take company up on talking to someone, having thoughts back to the experience and they are haunting me and not handling it at times. The thoughts are tough if I talk out loud about it I seem to get upset and irritable. I don't share experience much cause I don't want to hear the "I remember when" stories. This is current and it had impact on me,I'm glad other survived their ordeals just I got some physical and mental bruises to deal with. So much for me thinking I'm a tough guy.

nothing wrong at all talking to some one. it's a traumatic experience, glad to see you taking it seriously. Best of luck to you!
Posted By: Tbar

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/04/23 03:58 PM

Do something a 100 times and not think twice about it.

The 101st time it bites you. Glad you are OK.
Posted By: Guy

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/04/23 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Wow, glad you made it!

we do it at the corporate level. we have 8 major plants and 20+ shops across 5 countries, so safety is huge. that said, it's very dangerous work and accidents will always happen to some degree.

Probably should not get out of any vehicle while it is running, isn’t that how Crazy Horse died? He got out of his truck to open a gate, and his truck ran over him? I’m sure we are all guilty of that.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/04/23 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by RLoving1

My side turned black about a week after my 'ordeal' with the bull - but the physical stuff will eventually heal.
FYI, the brain (Limbic system) 'records' traumatic events in 15-min intervals - this 'recording' can continue to affect you long after the 'event' - but it can be greatly 'neutralized' with a quick/simple 1-time technique developed by a neurologist (and it's free too!),
It has nothing to do with being 'tough'. I've been there.
I'll pm you a link and my personal contact info, as it helped me immensely.
Posted By: Espy

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/04/23 05:36 PM

Glad you are still here. For me the 2nd and 3rd day was the most painful when ever I got hurt.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: It got down to the wire but I'm still here! - 05/04/23 05:41 PM

If you have not seen the Dr. it would be a good thing to do so. Give you some piece of mind and be assured your taking care of the body.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum