Texas Hunting Forum

Gold and Silver on a tear

Posted By: fredeboy

Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/23/23 06:30 PM

Any thoughts how high they can go
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/23/23 07:17 PM

Probably not too much. Way too heavily manipulated. If it goes up, it is because someone wants it to.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/23/23 07:58 PM

I didn't go overboard on gold and silver as much as I did on can food. Have a few oddball bars of silver but I always like Mercury Dimes and Standing Liberty Bare Breast Quarters bought a bag of each back in the 80's so with all my can tuna and change I should be good for SHTF.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/23/23 11:44 PM

I have quite a bit of silver. I’m 80 yoa and started collecting coins as a teenager. When the clad coins started being produced I started going to the bank and getting rolls of dimes and quarters. When opened, it’s easy to spot the difference in clad and silver. I pulled the silver and hauled the clads back to the bank for more rolls. At one
point, the silver was mostly taken out of circulation so I quit messing with it.

They’re in my gun safe. Don’t really have any interest in them but also don’t need the money. But, out of habit, I still look at my change.
Posted By: 9x19

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/24/23 12:07 AM

I bought bulk packs of .22 instead of silver in the 90s, and have lots of rice and beans too... so I'm READY clap

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/24/23 01:03 AM

Check silver prices at coinflation.com
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/24/23 01:49 AM

What gives precious metals their value?
Posted By: coachwhite34

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/24/23 02:27 AM

My dad invested heavily in precious metals and did extremely well. I just recently invested very heavily in them. Best thing I ever did. Things are gonna get bad and gold, silver, platinum are pretty much recession proof. Plus you don't pay all the taxes on them.

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/24/23 02:36 PM

Bradybuck, good question. Lookup history of money

At one time, governments handed out tokens and scrip backed by gold, silver, etc. Actually shiny rocks interested our ancestors and traded for it. Then paper scrip was printed for convenience to carry around but was backed by the full faith and credit of whatever government was in charge. In theory the cash was convertible to precious stones held by the government. Worked for awhile. Then governments started printing more paper than they had rocks and dust on hand. Thus, we have inflation and the money the government extracted from our paychecks for “Social Security” isn’t worth as much as it was when it was legally and lawfully extracted from our paychecks. It was done for “own good” because the guv knew better than us. And, it spent that money but remember the BS about full faith and credit.

BTW, Fort Knox was supposed to have enough gold to back the money.

But, like a bunch of damn fools, the governments were not held accountable by the people. This problem/situation is world wide.

There are industrial uses for precious metals.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/24/23 08:05 PM

I don't look at gold or other precious metals as an investment that I think will grow. I treat it more as an insurance policy in case of a major collapse.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/24/23 08:22 PM

Silver hit $48 in 2011.
Wake me up when it gets to $45.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/24/23 08:52 PM

Side note.

I will never forget this. But one summer when I was about 12 a buddy showed me his dad silver collection. He had a pallet in his garage with big/heavy silver bars. The bars probably weighed 50-80 pounds. The pallet had about 40-50 bars.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/24/23 08:58 PM

Don't be fooled by all the misleading and deceptive advertising on Fox News. Gold and silver are really only decent investments when the markets are down. Both have historically performed poorly in bull markets. I just did a quick glance at the price of silver in March 2013. It was $37 then and it is now $23. Down 38%- that's a terrible investment. Meanwhile, the S&P 500 was 1560 10 years ago is now 3971. That a return of 154%, even after a brutal 2022.

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/24/23 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Don't be fooled by all the misleading and deceptive advertising on Fox News. Gold and silver are really only decent investments when the markets are down. Both have historically performed poorly in bull markets. I just did a quick glance at the price of silver in March 2013. It was $37 then and it is now $23. Down 38%- that's a terrible investment. Meanwhile, the S&P 500 was 1560 10 years ago is now 3971. That a return of 154%, even after a brutal 2022.

Gotta have some of lots of different things.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/24/23 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
I don't look at gold or other precious metals as an investment that I think will grow. I treat it more as an insurance policy in case of a major collapse.

Same, in a TEOTWAWKI situation precious metals, food, and bullets will be the currency. I try to stockpile a lot of all three items.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/26/23 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by BradyBuck

“Gold is money, everything else is credit.”

JP Morgan
Posted By: majekman

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/26/23 07:17 PM

I’ve been collecting mostly gold since late 60s... a great uncle was fascinated with gold and was always buying and trading it. He gave me the

bug and before he passed he left me a nice little stash. And said as long as you have gold....Your pockets will be happy
Yes there are intangibles but overall...It has served me very well and continues too
No complaints
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/27/23 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

This is exactly how I look at it as well.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/27/23 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by leswad

JP Morgan

I just find it interesting that a shiny rock somehow ended up being what the whole world valued and traded for….
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/27/23 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by leswad

JP Morgan

I just find it interesting that a shiny rock somehow ended up being what the whole world valued and traded for….

Because it has so many qualities that are useful for a thing to be money: Durability, Utility, Divisibility, Portability, Uniformity, Scarcity.

It's especially nice that gold retains value even if a particular nation's money supply completely collapses or is replaced - think about what happened in Mexico when they lopped three zeros off the peso, or in Zimbabwe when they were printing trillion dollar banknotes. Even after those events, gold still retained more or less the same value as it did before.

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/29/23 12:20 AM

Theres a Greek term used by Economists . Ceterus Parabus. It means All things considered equal. And yet, due to inflation, nothing is really equal. And, inflation is now soaring.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/29/23 07:10 AM

I am investing in CD's

5% guaranteed.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/29/23 08:10 AM

I treat gold as a short term investment. It’s all about having the liquid to buy in when the time is right. Kilo buys where they house it until the sale is the way to go. Ounces if you’re going to keep it physically is the best long term way.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/29/23 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Silver hit $48 in 2011.
Wake me up when it gets to $45.

I remember the Hunt brothers dealing in silver and when it crashed. My boss at the time was dealing coins. I still have some that I bought from him. We had plants all over the country and traveled to them often. I was training a guy in Indiana and my boss talked him into carrying a briefcase full of coins up there. We were going to South Bend through O'Hare. He put the briefcase through the xray and the TSA lady shouted out holy s#^* look at all those coins. I told my coworker to grab the briefcase and we are out of here. Of all the airports I have been to I would consider O'Hare the least safe.
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/29/23 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
I am investing in CD's

5% guaranteed.

What term?
Posted By: blkt2

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/29/23 01:19 PM

I have been buying metals since my early teens and still have bags of junk silver that I bought with paper route money from Ruff Co. Bought a bunch of gold in the later 90s when it was close to the bottom from the Japanese banks dumping their reserves but haven’t bought any since. Haven't ever sold any but was tempted to sell some silver when it hit the high 40s some years ago.

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/29/23 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by talkturkey
Originally Posted by RedRanger
I am investing in CD's

5% guaranteed.

What term?

11 months, done all one from Capital One, easy peasy.

You can have all the money go back to your original bank at end of 11 month if you want or extend another 12 months.

Re: Gold and Silver on a tear - 03/29/23 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by blkt2
I have been buying metals since my early teens and still have bags of junk silver that I bought with paper route money from Ruff Co. Bought a bunch of gold in the later 90s when it was close to the bottom from the Japanese banks dumping their reserves but haven’t bought any since. Haven't ever sold any but was tempted to sell some silver when it hit the high 40s some years ago.

Your sitting a bank if you bought it back then
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum