Texas Hunting Forum

Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips

Posted By: txtrophy85

Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 02:48 AM

Watching Amazon prime after a long day of burning brush. Saw one called Missing 411: The hunted.

Story culminates with a hunting party in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California who has some crazy encounters in the early to mid 1970’s….got some recordings of the sounds that supposedly passed the sniff test by the university of Wyoming as being non-human.

Have to say listening to it, it’s pretty creepy.

Anyone have any spooky/creepy tales of hunting camp?
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 03:09 AM

Little girl ghosts. That’s what scares me. I’m Ok with all other ghosts.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 03:17 AM

Only real scary stuff is the lovely encounters with rattlesnakes when I least expect it. Did have a young man hop the fence and walk up on me as I was setting up camp late one night. He almost got some lead when he surprised me. Car had gotten stuck in a ditch and he heard our voices from a few hundred yards out. Helped him out but not before a lecture on announcing yourself in the dark on someone else’s land.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 03:29 AM

Ive hunted a remote area of Oklahoma for about 16 years straight

It was remote until the meth cooks moved in about 4-5 years ago, I don't know that they cook meth but imagine what a meth cookers place would look like and they're my neighbors..

Last year, I hear this Cesna coming from over my shoulder..to the west

Its swoops down over my deer blind, to a height I could have hit it w a sling shot...IDK that has never happened prior the plane was 75 foot off the ground

About a hour later, I can hear what sounds like a screaming woman walking up and down the Red River...it was moving back and forth

To walk the river where I am at isn't easy, this aint a scenic, beautiful beach, its full of thorns, brush, falls etc, it would take serious effort to walk up and down

At dark 30, 13 doe come out single file from the river scared..13 is a lot I've never saw 13 single file it all on the trot

IDK WTF was going on that day
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 04:14 AM

A covey of quail will make you crap your pants.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 04:40 AM

When hunting deer at my old lease, I Saw a UFO in the middle of one, bright, stary, night while peeing near San Saba.

There is always that feeling when waiting to be picked up from your stand at dark when the coyotes sound like they are right next to you.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Little girl ghosts. That’s what scares me. I’m Ok with all other ghosts.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 05:02 AM

Many years ago I was coon hunting with my wife's uncle near a gas pipeline pumping station. You could hear a very distinct knocking sound coming from the ground near the station, obviously originating from something inside the station. Not sure why the thought hit me, but I told my wife's uncle it sounded like a bunch of folks in a cemetery knocking on their caskets. We didn't stay there very long after I said that.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 05:32 AM

Yeah, I’ve been spooked before. When I was probably 9 or 10 my much older cousin and his friends thought it would be funny to take me snipe hunting. And I fell for it hard. After they all talked it up around the campfire, I was literally begging them to go. They dropped me off way deep in those woods, and after 30-45 minutes my mind started to get the best of me. It was dark and real quiet. That’s when what must have been 2 or 3 families of armadillo’s decided they wanted to be where I was. In my mind, wolves had me surrounded and were closing in on me. You better believe I was spooked. grin jerks!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 07:38 AM

I used to hunt with a bunch of friends in East Texas. Ever since a vagabond walked out of the woods into our camp and confronted us, those guys were never the same. So I took it upon myself to continue to creep them out.

One year I filled a blow up doll with helium dressed it in a black sheet and tied it to a tree about 50 yards past a buddies stand in the heavy woods. When I got back to camp he was taking a nap, said he didn’t see anything and called it quits early. He didn’t hunt that stand the rest of the year.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Many years ago I was coon hunting with my wife's uncle near a gas pipeline pumping station. You could hear a very distinct knocking sound coming from the ground near the station, obviously originating from something inside the station. Not sure why the thought hit me, but I told my wife's uncle it sounded like a bunch of folks in a cemetery knocking on their caskets. We didn't stay there very long after I said that.

I had a very old game call that used a cassette tape. It started acting up and making some crazy creepy screeching sounds followed back a scream. One night we were all around the campfire drinking and I had setup the caller in the woods. I played it off as having bubble guts and took off to the woods to find a place to poop. Few minutes later I hit play and took off running for camp. The guys at camp took off running into the motor home. roflmao
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
I used to hunt with a bunch of friends in East Texas.

You could have stopped right there. Plenty scary by itself.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Watching Amazon prime after a long day of burning brush. Saw one called Missing 411: The hunted.

Story culminates with a hunting party in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California who has some crazy encounters in the early to mid 1970’s….got some recordings of the sounds that supposedly passed the sniff test by the university of Wyoming as being non-human.

Have to say listening to it, it’s pretty creepy.

Anyone have any spooky/creepy tales of hunting camp?

Sierra Nevada mountains is a hot bed for Bigfoot sightings

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 02:00 PM

I was out Predator hunting one night, in our open pasture that is bordered by woods all the way around. Had our late dog ,Killer with me, sizeable dog. All of the sudden he starts whimpering and whining, walking in circles, finally tucked his tail and went running to the house while occasionally looking towards the woods., about 45 yards away.
Never saw or heard anything from that area though.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Superduty

You aren’t kidding!
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 02:20 PM

Two links to past THF spooky threads:

Link

Link 2
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 02:42 PM

If I had to hunt with a flag burning loser like TrashcanDan I'd go fishing more often.
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

roflmao
Posted By: DustyArmadillo

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 03:06 PM

You know that feeling you get when you're in a large room, then you turn around and see someone staring at you... Sometimes you just know something is watching you. That's the feeling I got at our old lease in San Saba. Things would fall off the shelf randomly too, hearing footsteps in the breezeway at night, weird stuff. The house was ancient and there's evidence of an old native american campsite (corn grinding holes, arrowheads, etc). The only time I stayed overnight by myself, I slept with all the lights on. Not kidding. A different time I woke up in the middle of the night and could've sworn I heard very old timey music playing outside. Still go down there as a guest sometimes, needless to say I've been spooked a couple times.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 03:11 PM

around the campfire drinking

who would have guessed?

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

[Linked Image]

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
When hunting deer at my old lease, I Saw a UFO in the middle of one, bright, stary, night while peeing near San Saba.

There is always that feeling when waiting to be picked up from your stand at dark when the coyotes sound like they are right next to you.

When I was 8 years old I was with my uncle at his place the day after a big rain. We took the Jeep to the front gate to check the rain gauge and got the Jeep stuck about halfway there ( only about 400 yards from camp but when your 8 it felt like 5 miles ) and he left me there to walk back and get the tractor.

He was gonna about 5 min and a pack of coyotes sound off in the brush from what sounded like 10 yards away. I about came unglued.

Pretty frightening event for a 8 year old city kid
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 03:53 PM

Yep, was one step up on a home made ladder stand when a covey busted out from under the stand. Talk about something that will get your blood pumping in the dark.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 04:02 PM

All quiet one night hog hunting and something scraped its claws on straps holding my blind down. Just about peed - figured out later (yep - another night when I just about had the pee scared out of me) it was a feral cat.

Another night I was hunting in a 8' high blind (had just put it up that day). No one had come up the stairs when, all of a sudden, someone was banging on the door trying to get in. Just about shot through the door. Turned out to be an owl who continued to bang on the windows of my blind for a hour or two before leaving.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 04:12 PM

I was on a lease west of Ballinger in 2006. I had to walk along a fence for about 400 yards on the way to my blind. The first time I walked to my blind in the morning I thought someone was standing against the fence with a hat on. Turned out to be a huge post used in the fence and it literally looked like someone standing there with a hat on with just enough moonlight. Scared the F_ _ _ out of me. Even after that I still didn`t like having to walk that way in the dark.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 04:56 PM

Early to mid 70's on some property the folks owned in Wood county I am a young teen and I swear I hear wolves....NOT yotes,...NOT dogs. I'm out there at night with my grandmother's 20ga shotgun on a pitch-dark night and they are close, ~150-200yrds and on the move. I am wondering if I can get back to the cabin before we cross paths.

I was way scared.....
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

You aren’t kidding!

While in college my brother and I went quail hunting on a friend's property and I came down with a severe case of the Wades (squirts). I found the frame of an old cafeteria chair and decided it made for a great toilet. While doing my business, my brother flushed a covey of quail that flew right passed me which induced a second round of the Wades. My brother still reminds me of that scenario every year around hunting season. roflmao
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar
Early to mid 70's on some property the folks owned in Wood county I am a young teen and I swear I hear wolves....NOT yotes,...NOT dogs. I'm out there at night with my grandmother's 20ga shotgun on a pitch-dark night and they are close, ~150-200yrds and on the move. I am wondering if I can get back to the cabin before we cross paths.

I was way scared.....

My grandpa swears he had a wolf that visited the edge of his garden up into the 80s in upshur county. East of New Diana.
My uncle said the last one he saw in upshur county was in early 80s north of Diana near Ore City.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar

I was way scared.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 10:22 PM

Back in the 70s, we were still teenagers. We decided to camp out at Grapevine Lake, it wasn't far from where we all lived. Me and two buddies took our gear out there along with some beer and other sundry items.

We bedded down, probably around 1 or 2. Fire was burning out. We were drifting off.

All of a sudden, across the lake, we hear a woman scream real loud three times. Then a gun goes off twice. Creeped us out. We threw our stuff in the truck and drove home.

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Back in the 70s, we were still teenagers. We decided to camp out at Grapevine Lake, it wasn't far from where we all lived. Me and two buddies took our gear out there along with some beer and other sundry items.

We bedded down, probably around 1 or 2. Fire was burning out. We were drifting off.

All of a sudden, across the lake, we hear a woman scream real loud three times. Then a gun goes off twice. Creeped us out. We threw our stuff in the truck and drove home.

That is creepy.

How far away was the shooting?

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 11:36 PM

Sounded like the other side of the lake. Not sure, 1/2 mile across the water.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 11:47 PM

Coons were getting in the sweet corn so my dad and I went out one night to kill some. He went to the place half a mile down the road and I sat on the hog house in the back lot.

As I scanned over the corn field I see one stalk acting funny so go to check it out. Sure enough there’s a mama coon and three babies.

I started off with my single shot 410. Wounded one of the little ones.

Did you know coons scream like a little girl? Yup. They do.

That wounded one went screaming down the row of corn. Luckily not at me.

Unluckily mama coon did. She jumped up three feet and headed my direction. Got close enough I kicked at it.

I then proceeded to unload my 22 rifle at anything that moved.

Dad said it sounded like WWIII.

Yeah, I was spooked. roflmao
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/21/22 11:52 PM

I had a couple coons get into it right outside my bedroom window, one night, with the window open. There was no sleeping after that. The racket they can make is something else.

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 12:19 AM

I hunt on public. Mostly around lakes in Oklahoma. Was making a loop a few weeks before rifle seasons looking for rut sign. As I’m following the lake bed back to the highway I see a boat on the bank in front of me. I am moving along wanted to go around the area but pretty thick so I walk on past. There is a guy up there with a 3 forked hoe ( garden tool don’t know what it’s called) had a short handle on it. He had 2 healers with him. He warned me of the temperament of one. I did not want to talk but was cordial. He was wearing overalls and sandals. Toe nails looked as if they’d not been clipped in years. Pretty large rough looking guy.

So I’m standing there. Friendly dog wanting a back rub. Mean dog keeping a close eye on me. He’s talking asking me what I was doing etc. I would take a step back and he would take a step towards me. Conversation was cordial but I did not want to be in the swing radius of that garden tool. Every time I’d move the dog would growl he would step. I figured he was looking for arrow heads and asked him if he was finding any. He told me he wasn’t liking for arrow heads. Maybe he said that because it’s not legal. Finally got away from him. But the whole deal was strange. I figure he had some plants up there on the bank or something…..
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 02:37 AM

My oldest daughter and I liked to pig hunt on fool moons. Near Devine one night we sat in a ground blind as the moon was getting higher. It was really cool and clear, and we could see general shapes without a scope. At about 10:00pm all hell broke loose. The coyotes were close and started howling and barking, they were right on us. Then some pigs came in squealing and running all over, we could see their silhouettes as they ran across the sendero in front of us. Some came up next the blind grunting and squealing. We saw pigs crossing constantly. I do not know if the coyotes were chasing them or not, but some squealing was an eerie dying squealing sound (FoxPro caller sounds). This went on for about ten minutes, really intense.
Then a pig stopped in the road and my daughter shot it. Then things got worse, dead silence. It was like all the animals stopped right where they were and didn't move. We waited a bit before we got the truck and fetched our pig.
A night we still talk about.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 07:18 AM

I was varmint calling on a cold night wearing a poof ball beanie. My head suddenly got cold and my beanie was gone. I saw movement out in front of me but in the night sky that ended up on a tree limb. A great horned owl plucked that thing right off me and I never heard a thing. It messed with it for a couple of minutes and dropped it as he flew off. I can’t imagine how bad it would have hurt if it had missed a little lower than the poof ball.
Posted By: nak

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 01:59 PM

I've posted this here before....
I was in a tree stand on the high river bank, at a point where pigs were routinely crossed the river....maybe 12:30 in the morning on overcast night night. Been there about 3 hours when suddenly the wind died down and stopped completely. Every other sound in the woods stopped. No frogs, no yotes calling, not a leaf rustling, Dog's about a mile away on the other side of the river that seem to bark all night went silent. The only two sounds were the water in the river flowing the ringing in my ears. It went on long enough it seriously freaked me out.

I finally crawled down out of the tree stand and head back to the cabin. 5.8 SPC AR with a full mag, .40 carry pistol, thermal scope, NV helmet & illuminator...and I am to the point of being scared out of my skin. If an armadillo had rustled the leaves, I would probably had done a mag dump.

I got about a half mile before suddenly the wind came back, then over the next few minutes, all the normal night sounds returned.

That has been 5+ years and thinking about it still freaks me out.

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by nak
I've posted this here before....
I was in a tree stand on the high river bank, at a point where pigs were routinely crossed the river....maybe 12:30 in the morning on overcast night night. Been there about 3 hours when suddenly the wind died down and stopped completely. Every other sound in the woods stopped. No frogs, no yotes calling, not a leaf rustling, Dog's about a mile away on the other side of the river that seem to bark all night went silent. The only two sounds were the water in the river flowing the ringing in my ears. It went on long enough it seriously freaked me out.

I finally crawled down out of the tree stand and head back to the cabin. 5.8 SPC AR with a full mag, .40 carry pistol, thermal scope, NV helmet & illuminator...and I am to the point of being scared out of my skin. If an armadillo had rustled the leaves, I would probably had done a mag dump.

I got about a half mile before suddenly the wind came back, then over the next few minutes, all the normal night sounds returned.

That has been 5+ years and thinking about it still freaks me out.

That does cause an eerie feeling when everything goes quiet like that.....
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I was varmint calling on a cold night wearing a poof ball beanie. My head suddenly got cold and my beanie was gone. I saw movement out in front of me but in the night sky that ended up on a tree limb. A great horned owl plucked that thing right off me and I never heard a thing. It messed with it for a couple of minutes and dropped it as he flew off. I can’t imagine how bad it would have hurt if it had missed a little lower than the poof ball.

That happened to me in the 70's. After that, I learned to move the speaker away from me as far as the cord would allow. Often wonder what damage the claws would have done. Friend with me commented he could see the owl flying off with me as I was kicking and screaming and uttering profanity.

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 02:30 PM

I remember reading a story in a hunting magazine about a guy getting hit in the face by an owl. This was 20 years ago, after reading the story I remember looking down sitting in my tree stand in those east Texas pines as not to get face punched.

Here’s a more recent story.
https://www.newson6.com/story/5e363...nter-attacked-by-owl-while-in-tree-stand
Posted By: hetman

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 03:20 PM

The Woods Go Silent - Sasquatch Smells You- Trust Your Gut-Run like a little Girly man bolt

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
I remember reading a story in a hunting magazine about a guy getting hit in the face by an owl. This was 20 years ago, after reading the story I remember looking down sitting in my tree stand in those east Texas pines as not to get face punched.

Here’s a more recent story.
https://www.newson6.com/story/5e363...nter-attacked-by-owl-while-in-tree-stand

Owls like deer stands for roosts. Always ease that door open....
Posted By: Greg

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

I know my neck always shrinks into my shoulders when they start dive bombing us. We usually hit them with the light right when they get close.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

You aren’t kidding!

I've almost forgotten what that was like. I sure miss the quail.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 06:16 PM

I’m just going to say if you get in a pop up ground blind in a very dense river bottom thicket at 2am knowing you have bears and mountain lions in the area while trying to sleep until daylight comes so you don’t bump the deer your after and a Bobcat kills a fawn 25 yards right behind the blind in complete darkness it will scare the ever loving crap out of you. The sounds I heard that morning still make me jittery thinking about it. I’m 100% comfortable in the darkness and it’s one of my favorite times to be in the woods listening to things you can’t see move around but I’d like a redo on that morning and not be there. Bobcat screams and the moans of a deer dying are pretty scary, the couple hours until daylight came were the longest hours of my life.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips - 11/22/22 06:27 PM

I have 2 lessors who are scared of the dark. They carry their rifle and a pistol on their hip for protection and the brightest flashlight they can find. .They are convinced there are man eating hogs in the woods.

I heard this banging noise one morning when waiting for daylight. There would be a crash and then stop, a bit later it was again. When daylight came I saw a hog trap my trapper had put out during the week and there was a hog in it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum