Texas Hunting Forum

the pain of buying a car!

Posted By: tlk

the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 10:44 AM

I went yesterday to trade in wife's car and buy her a new one. I have done this many times over my life and dread it everytime.

I knew what my trade in was worth (off of the dealer's website) and what the new car was worth (off of the dealer's website).

THREE HOURS LATER we finally got to drive away in the car. I had all my information ready for them to streamline the process. Instead my salesman piddled around. Asked the old trick question "how much do you want your monthly payment to be." I said ZERO>

So when they finally give me their numbers they are $3K lower on my trade in from what they originally told me and they tried to add on $3500 more to the MSRP on the new car. I asked what was the extra $3500 for? He said for all of the "add ons" - things like "if you lose your key fob we give you a new one" and "if your car gets stolen we give you $2500 off of the next car you buy from them."

What a joke. I said take the "add ons" off and he balked. I said take them off or I walk. He finally agreed.

I do not get why dealers want to make it such a hassle to simply purchase their product. Rant over.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 10:55 AM

They just want your money, your just a number to them.
Posted By: Stub

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 11:08 AM

What dealership and did they end up increasing the value of your trade another $3,000 to what their website valued it at?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 11:46 AM

Thankfully my neighbor across the street is the internet sales manager, I tell what I want and once he gets one he drives it home and I look at it and test drive it.

If I like he it takes it back to office for me to purchase. No BS.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 11:47 AM

There is no such thing as streamlining at car dealership! Time spent on lot is time they wear you down.
Posted By: glens

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 12:15 PM

. Always shop around for prices and buy over the phone and email. Never a problem. Just go in to sign papers. 20 or 30 minutes tops.. It's nice when you buy off the same dealer and salesman. Have bought the last 7 off La Grange Ford. Ricky Dunk.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 12:19 PM

^^^ that’s what I do.
I shop the new car until I make deal with them.
I sell the old car myself, I’ve been selling all my life. I can get a lot more selling it.
Tell them how you’re going to pay and that you want to make it quick when you get there.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
Asked the old trick question "how much do you want your monthly payment to be."

Years and years ago I worked as a car salesman (lasted about six months before I burned out). During sales meetings, the general manager would hound us to sell the customer a PAYMENT, get them to commit to a PAYMENT, then raise the payment and stretch it out as long as possible.

Do dealerships still use the old 'four square' sales sheet to negotiate price?
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 12:34 PM

last one I bought I got from Monte Coon from the THF. super easy.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 12:37 PM

I have been trading my wife's car every 2 pr 3 years in the past 12 years. I am fixing to hit 5 years without trading just because of the BS they are pulling. Luckily, I do not have to have a new vehicle.
Posted By: Chopped54

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
[

A lot do, cause it works....
Hell I had a door to door solar salesman pull out a four square
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chopped54
[

Tell me about this 4 square.

Last vehicle I bought was from Bill Fick in Huntsville, all over the phone/text, and email. Then it was delivered to the house, signed paperwork, and 30 minutes later we were done.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 01:35 PM

[

It only works for the uninformed or folks that don't do their homework.
Posted By: Ox190

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 01:35 PM

I've been dealing with the same salesman at Freeman GMC in Grapevine for 17 years because he doesn't waste my time.

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
[

Last vehicle I bought was from Bill Fick in Huntsville, all over the phone/text, and email. Then it was delivered to the house, signed paperwork, and 30 minutes later we were done.

Basically they use this to feel you out and find out what number you are concerned with. If it is a monthly payment they can jack with all the others to screw the buyer while still making them feel good about the number they are focused on.

[Linked Image]

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 01:38 PM

Got it.

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Dude Abides

Which is a good percentage of buyers.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 01:47 PM

I’d rather go to the dentist than have to go buy a new vehicle.
Posted By: Stub

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Dude Abides

Which is a good percentage of buyers.

Four Square has been around forever and the Dealerships that use them are the Mouse Houses.
Back in 1989 I worked for Lute Riley Honda selling cars, even though the dealership was kicking that azz every month they got greedy and went to the 4 Sq.
I quit the next day,
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
I’d rather go to the dentist than have to go buy a new vehicle.

Right there with ya! The only thing I have to do now is "pick a color".
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 02:08 PM

3 hours sounds about right, unfortunately. I did have an "internet" purchase in 2011 that I was in and out in 1 hr.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 02:16 PM

Car people are the biggest scum on the planet. Lawyers and politicians are the biggest, educated scum on the planet.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 02:20 PM

When buying a vehicle, the trade-in price and the new vehicle price can get purposely fuzzed up by the sales person. To confuse you is in their favor. To avoid this, focus on the price difference between what they are offering on the trade in and what they are asking on the new vehicle. Lose track of that and you might as well walk away and start over later. It’s the difference that matters because that’s what you will ultimately pay.

And, on your trade-in, call around to a few used car lots and try to get a price for a vehicle just like the one you wish to trade in. It’ll be much higher than what they offer you for yours.

Preparation matters to your pocketbook.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 02:53 PM

To all the guys who say they are in and out of dealership quickly, you are probably being screwed over. There is absolutely nothing quick about buying a car even if you are a cash buyer and/or don't have a trade. Even if full terms are completely agreed upon in advance, they will still pull tactics to change terms and add fees to your contract even as you are signing papers. There are inventory fees or add-ons that were never mentioned even after the "final final" price had already been agreed upon.

Or if you have a trade, like 603 said, you absolutely must treat the trade-in value and the new vehicle price as completely independent transactions. I've had to walk out of different dealerships twice because they have tried to lower my agreed upon trade-in value after they realized I qualified for employee pricing on the new vehicle. I even had one dealer try to jack up the price on my new vehicle by about $3000, which I got with employee pricing. Luckily, I had a printout with the VIN and the price that I should receive. Shady AF, but I still went through with the purchase after I got the price I was entitled to. I also told them they lost my trade-in and I wouldn't be trading my vehicle in to them though.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
To all the guys who say they are in and out of dealership quickly, you are probably being screwed over. There is absolutely nothing quick about buying a car even if you are a cash buyer and/or don't have a trade. Even if full terms are completely agreed upon in advance, they will still pull tactics to change terms and add fees to your contract even as you are signing papers. There are inventory fees or add-ons that were never mentioned even after the "final final" price had already been agreed upon.

Or if you have a trade, like 603 said, you absolutely must treat the trade-in value and the new vehicle price as completely independent transactions. I've had to walk out of different dealerships twice because they have tried to lower my agreed upon trade-in value after they realized I qualified for employee pricing on the new vehicle. I even had one dealer try to jack up the price on my new vehicle by about $3000, which I got with employee pricing. Luckily, I had a printout with the VIN and the price that I should receive. Shady AF, but I still went through with the purchase after I got the price I was entitled to. I also told them they lost my trade-in and I wouldn't be trading my vehicle in to them though.

Bought my last 5 trucks under blue book(used <15k miles) via the phone, I’m in and out in under 30 minutes. No add on, no BS. Unfortunately that ship sailed when he retired last year. I’ve done one trade in, the rest where private sales or insurance buy outs roflmao

I really dread buying a new truck this go round. Someone needs to start a service
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 03:07 PM

Dealerships suck, I have a 3 strikes and your out rule. I give them 3 opportunities to give me the best deal or meet my requirements and if they fail to do so I’ll walk out the door and never return. I’m polite when I inform them of this but I stand firm on it. If your in and out within an hour or two I’d be shocked if you weren’t getting shafted somewhere but some people simply don’t care.

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 03:13 PM

Outside of my Teslas and my wife's Grand Cherokee, I have bought the last six vehicles from the same salesman from the same dealership and have never spent more than 30 minutes in the actual dealership. Hell the last two a porter has driven my new truck from Fort Worth to Rockwall and I signed the papers in the parking lot of my work.....
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 03:23 PM

Another thing on trades, my Dad bought a new Lexus in Florida last week. He was going to trade in an old Mercedes sedan. Dealership offered him $400....yes, $400. He obviously declined, but also didn't want to hassle with the riff-raff you get with selling it on Craigslist. He listed it for $2500 on FB Marketplace, almost certainly could have gotten more, but had a buyer with cash at his house less than 2 hours later.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Dealerships suck, I have a 3 strikes and your out rule. I give them 3 opportunities to give me the best deal or meet my requirements and if they fail to do so I’ll walk out the door and never return. I’m polite when I inform them of this but I stand firm on it. If your in and out within an hour or two I’d be shocked if you weren’t getting shafted somewhere but some people simply don’t care.

Why I never will step foot in the sales office of Grapevine Ford again, Absolutely the worst sales team and finance in the industry
Posted By: Greg

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Thankfully my neighbor across the street is the internet sales manager, I tell what I want and once he gets one he drives it home and I look at it and test drive it.

If I like he it takes it back to office for me to purchase. No BS.

Like you and several others have said on here, I think it depends who you work with, and more importantly, if you know them. Last year a new kid joined my sons baseball team and his dad is the head sales manager at Rockwall Ford. Real nice guy. My recent purchase with him was the easiest one has ever been….And things changed too. Ford raised their prices while the truck was being built. When I was able to download the window sticker I noticed and shot him a text. He said not to worry because we had an agreement. Only thing that sucked was waiting for the truck to finally get the chips and get here… but that wasn’t his fault. Seriously the best buying experience I’ve ever had. No BS at all and he did me really right.

I’ll never buy from anyone else.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jgraider
Car people are the biggest scum on the planet. Lawyers and politicians are the biggest, educated scum on the planet.

My neighbhor across the street is internet sales manager, he a down to earth guy and nice

The handful of lawyers I have meet have been good dudes

I don't know any politicians

I didn't know you had to be educated to be a politician.

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 04:33 PM

My neighbhor across the street is internet sales manager, he a down to earth guy and nice

Nope, just a certain age.
Posted By: glens

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 07:00 PM

They really mess with people with a lower credit score. Could be why some have problems. I never have had to wait over 20 or 30 minutes in the last 20 years. Get a drive out price, go in and sign., Drive off. .

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

Nope, just a certain age.

Name one high profile politician without a degree.

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 07:46 PM

Name one high profile politician without a degree.

Since you only wanted one-
Representative David G. Valadao, R-California

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 08:20 PM

OK, of course there are exceptions to every rule, but they are few and far between. Bottom line is politidians, lawyers are scum of the earth, and auto dealers and car salesmen arent' far behind.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 08:22 PM

Thanks Red Ranger - it's funny how many people say that - just painting everything with a broad brush - I get compliments from the other side quite a bit.

Jgraider - If you really feel that way about all lawyers, PM me and I'll send you a response I got a while back from the other side. Maybe it'll change your mind about (some) lawyers.
grin

And sorry this has gotten off topic
Posted By: BigPig

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 08:42 PM

I talked myself out of a new truck last night. I’ve never paid over $42,000 for a truck, never had a truck payment over $500, and have never financed over 60 months. I came to the realization that even with getting $36k for trade in on a paid off truck, I’ll still be financing $45k for 60 months at 2% interest and that’s going to be $788 a month, that turned my stomach. Also the idea of coming out of pocket either enough to get the payment below $500 or just pay it off also turned my stomach.

I’m also not one to haggle. I know what my truck is worth, and if I like your truck I’ll pay the asking price, that’s part of me liking the truck. The truck I’m driving I was in & put in 30 minutes. The deal was done before I arrived, I was getting $29,500 for my trade in and buying theirs at $42,000, no negotiating, no dealer added markups, just a quick agreement of price. They took a wash on my trade in, ended up selling for $21,000.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 09:32 PM

I’m not a good negotiator and know it. I was looking for a new car some time back and went to a local dealership. I told them I wanted one price with no negotiation. I told them that I knew I was a lousy negotiator. Just give me the price you will accept. If I like it, I buy.

The sales guy talked to his manager and they hit me with a price that was awfully close to retail. I told them no way and the guy said let’s negotiate this. I said AMF and walked. He acted shocked.

It took 2 more dealerships before I bought one. And that guy got upset because I pulled out my check book and didn’t finance it.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 09:42 PM

If you don't finance it, they can't do the Full Monty on you in the "Finance Department"!!! taz Get with the program! You owe them 5 different revenue streams 'cause...they're a dealership! And they must be kept in the lifestyle to which they're accustomed, especially the sales manager and owner. bang
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer

Thanks Red Ranger - it's funny how many people say that - just painting everything with a broad brush - I get compliments from the other side quite a bit.

Jgraider - If you really feel that way about all lawyers, PM me and I'll send you a response I got a while back from the other side. Maybe it'll change your mind about (some) lawyers.
grin

And sorry this has gotten off topic

We have had some great lawyers for our family over many years. I've also walked into a couple of real estate/business deals and the attorneys reeked of slime. One I'm pretty certain wanted to take advantage of a slightly mentally slow seller and was pissed we got involved and were buying the property from the seller, who was a neighbor and whom we considered a friend. Said attorney is still a "bigshot" in the hill country title bidness.

Another, who's family has several buildings named after them in San Antonio, suddenly appeared (for a few billable hours, I assume) at the final meeting involving the sale of our company. He was a partner in the firm of our trusted, family business attorney. (I wasn't the ranking family member, so I didn't ask him to get the hell out. The ranking family member wouldn't DARE insult an attorney! He fancied himself as a mover and shaker in his own right, which he, and we, were not. bang)

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 10:53 PM

I am the OP - get this!

So after we drive our car home yesterday I get to looking at the piece of paper they put on all new car windows that shows gas mileage, etc. As I study it I go to the "Options and Prices" - there I see as an option an additional $230 "dealer installed floor liners" - so I go look and guess what? No floor liners!
Then I see $175 option I paid for - it is a Black Bowtie - what the hell is that?

Call my sales guy - he tells me the floor liners are "back ordered" and as soon as they receive them they will let me know - really?? they would remember to call me?

I asked about the Black Bowtie - he tells me that is to have the Chevrolet logo on our front bumper be Black instead of Silver! I said what the hell?

Sorry for the second rant but what a scam car dealerships are! If I had not asked about these two items they would have skimmed an extra $500
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by RLoving1
There is no such thing as streamlining at car dealership! Time spent on lot is time they wear you down.

They are good at this. I learned to walk out. They will keep you there till late in the evening so you buy just because you don't want to go back.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Originally Posted by RLoving1

They are good at this. I learned to walk out. They will keep you there till late in the evening so you buy just because you don't want to go back.

I bought my last 2 trucks while waiting for an oil change. And both times my truck was full of stuff that I had to relocate. Impulse buys, I guess. hammer I don't even walk out on the lot anymore!

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/24/22 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
I am the OP - get this!

So after we drive our car home yesterday I get to looking at the piece of paper they put on all new car windows that shows gas mileage, etc. As I study it I go to the "Options and Prices" - there I see as an option an additional $230 "dealer installed floor liners" - so I go look and guess what? No floor liners!
Then I see $175 option I paid for - it is a Black Bowtie - what the hell is that?

Call my sales guy - he tells me the floor liners are "back ordered" and as soon as they receive them they will let me know - really?? they would remember to call me?

I asked about the Black Bowtie - he tells me that is to have the Chevrolet logo on our front bumper be Black instead of Silver! I said what the hell?

Sorry for the second rant but what a scam car dealerships are! If I had not asked about these two items they would have skimmed an extra $500

You should’ve asked for the “Drive Out Price” rofl I feel confident they would have removed those scammy items on principle alone roflmao

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/25/22 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by tlk
I am the OP - get this!

You should’ve asked for the “Drive Out Price” rofl I feel confident they would have removed those scammy items on principle alone roflmao

Those aren't dealer added "scammy items", they are factory installed options on the build sheet and aren't a negotiable item outside of the final sales price.
And FWIW my Denali floor mats were back ordered and I had to wait a month to receive them.

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/25/22 12:06 AM

Scammy items from Chevrolet aka the big dealership

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/25/22 12:08 AM

Scammy items from Chevrolet aka the big dealership

Yes, the floor mats and blacked out emblems are installed from Chevrolet, not the dealership.

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/25/22 12:18 AM

[quote=Ol Thumper]Scammy items from Chevrolet aka the big dealership

Yes, the floor mats and blacked out emblems are installed from Chevrolet, not the dealership.[/quote

Will not change anything but I will wear them out on social media - this is worse than being scammed online - what a joke

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/25/22 12:20 AM

I’m aware they were from the factory, I was referring to them being scammy in general roflmao

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/25/22 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by tlk

Will not change anything but I will wear them out on social media - this is worse than being scammed online - what a joke

So not looking at manufacturer installed options on the window sticker before signing the deal is worse than being scammed online?

The MSRP on the truck included those items and you negotiated MSRP to a point where I am guessing you were satisfied, no?

I do agree that unless it is a base model, floor mats should be included.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/25/22 12:29 AM

Factory “upgraded” floor mats are garbage fwiw. Weather tech and don’t look back.
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/25/22 12:39 AM

I’ve have a good no b.s. salesman, I just have to watch the “finance manager”.. Financing is where they get ya considering the incentives they receive if you finance with x vs y…they always seem to find a better rate when you pass on the first or second, let’s not mention all the b.s. they try to sell with it
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/25/22 12:39 AM

One of my favorite things to do used to be to screw with the salesmen. I had a guy one time lowballing me on a trade in, really bad after I had negotiated the new car down to where I wanted it. He kept gng on and on and I interrupted him with “ok fine, im not interested in trading in now, can i just buy the new vehicle and be done?”. He was surprised by that and told me that the new car price would have to increase. He also had the gall to tell me that I couldnt afford to not trade in…..”how the F do know what i can afford?” Left the dealership immediately. Got a call from manager 3hrs later, explained to him what went down, they gave me everything I wanted and the look on saleman’s face was priceless bc I demanded someone else finish it out. That was the last time I did any negotiation at the dealership. Now its all over email, text, phone.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/25/22 12:45 AM

I sent an email, the guy followed up with me every few weeks for 6 months. I asked what he had coming in. He told me and I told him to put my name on one and paid a deposit. Handled everything by email and 2 phone calls. Went to dealership, met the sales guy, was there 30 minutes, 25 of which was him showing me features of the new car. Easy as pie.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: the pain of buying a car! - 10/25/22 03:18 AM

Manufacturers are just as much to blame with mark ups and over pricing vehicles. The truck I was looking at had the same items listed numerous times under different packages. Just how many times do I need to pay for power fold mirrors, or body matched painted bumpers?

The jurors were listed under 3 different packages, the cheapest of which was $1295 and most expensive being $4995.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum