Texas Hunting Forum

Non natives in Texas

Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 04:42 PM

Where did you come from and how long have you been here?

Moved from Oklahoma to Fort Worth in may of 1983. So many changes since then.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 04:49 PM

I came here from Oklahoma when I was two. That was 56 years ago. However, I do have ancestors who fought for Texas Independence so my people have been here a long time.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw
I came here from Oklahoma when I was two. That was 56 years ago. However, I do have ancestors who fought for Texas Independence so my people have been here a long time.

all my mom's side, as well as my mom and one sister are native.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 04:56 PM

Born on an Air Force Base in Newfoundland, came back to Ft Worth around the age of 2. Both parents were from Ft Worth. I'm a Texan.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 05:00 PM

Ohio ---> Germany ---> Texas (1993)...almost 30 years
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 05:06 PM

Born on a military base in Colorado. Lived in Cheyenne for a brief stint. Been here since.

I really don’t know my family history very well on either side.

Best I know the Walkers (my name sake) have been in and around Daingerfield Texas a long time.
Dads moms family is from the hill country.
Moms dads family around the Jacksonville Texas area for 2 generations prior to me Louisiana before that. (Think they still own a nice place down on the lake there with an old dairy)
Moms moms family migrant farm workers. Dallas and Ellis county mainly. My mamaw picked cotton all up and down what is now oak cliff/ southern Dallas county. She talked about all 15 of them loading up in an old truck and going to the next one. (Think that’s referred to as white privilege)
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 05:26 PM

Born here, lived in Okla and CO.

Thinking about Wyoming for retirement
Posted By: lost again

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 05:39 PM

Born in Graham Texas in 1956. Lived in that are until I was 12 then we moved to Fort Worth been here ever since except for the time I spent in the Marine Corps.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 05:40 PM

We are originally from Siberia, came over about 15k - 20k years ago and have been in Texas a long, long time. People from my mom's side came through Canada (Dog Rib) into Texas (Apache, Comanche, Caddo). People on my dad's side came through Canada (Algonquian) to Texas (Apache) and Arizona (Navajo, Apache). We were Americans before there was a Tejas but the story goes My dad's people hugged the Guadalupe River and Mom's people were on the Brazos River until the 60's when they moved to Houston.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 05:47 PM

Dad migrated us from Kentucky in March 1982. I think the only state that could get me out of Texas would be Kansas.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 05:50 PM

I'm from the Other "T" State moved here after I got out of the NAVY in 92.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 05:56 PM

Born at Ft. Rucker while daddy was at chopper school thee. I lived in Alabamy all of 6 weeks.

When the locals realized I was born in Alabama, the square heads told me I was a yankee.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Born at Ft. Rucker while daddy was at chopper school thee. I lived in Alabamy all of 6 weeks.

When the locals realized I was born in Alabama, the square heads told me I was a yankee.

Being that I was born on a military base out of state my brother got to call me a yankee. When that came out we were sure to get a belt whooping because something in the house got broke.
Posted By: texfork

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 06:39 PM

I was born in Minneapolis in 1956, my mom was from there and married my dad - a native Texan after the war but moved us back to Texas in 1960 .
So, I know i don't rate native, but I think I can call myself a Texan. ..
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 06:45 PM

I came to Kingsville, Texas back in 1970 when I was in the Navy. Left in early '73 and came back to be in the Border Patrol back in January of 1980. Been here ever since.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 07:10 PM

Followed the paycheck from New Orleans to Houston in 1976. Never been sorry. Moved to the country in 2009.

Was born in Ferriday, Louisiana, home of Mickey Gilley, jerry Lee Lewis, and Jimmy Swaggert .
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 07:11 PM

Born in Odessa in 1984.

Ft Stockton until 1993

Brady, TX until I graduated in 2003

Lubbock until 2009

Abilene/Clyde to present
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 07:26 PM

Born in Laredo in 70 and have lived only in TX, same as parents and grandparents on mother's side. Father's mother moved to TX from KY as a child and father to TX from NY as a child.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 07:46 PM

Crossed into Texas on a ferry on the Red River in 1959 when I was 3, moving out of Northeastern Oklahoma. Dad followed the company he worked for when they decided to relocate the shop nearer the East Texas Oil Fields.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 08:25 PM

Moved here in 1998 on a full athletic scholarship and never left!
Posted By: PMK

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 09:21 PM

6th generation on my mom's side ... my dad's family came to central Texas in a covered wagon 1925 after a series of storms (tornadoes, hail, flooding, etc.) wiped them out of farming/ranching.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 09:22 PM

Came to Texas from Arkansas in 1982 to be a part of coaching Texas HS football and the pay increase that came with it. Both were a lot better that what I had.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 09:48 PM

Hmmm post got lost

Short version- mom's side from england 1830's + -
Dad's side forever plus 2 days. On the continent
back before America by way of georgia alabama
mississippi kentucky tennessee arkansas and Texas

Long long time, back before newcomers started
****ing things up
Posted By: Tom Tucker

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 11:06 PM

I've been here since 2022. I came across the Rio Grande and now they're wanting to take me to Washington DC to live in Joe's house. Who's Joe?!
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Tucker
I've been here since 2022. I came across the Rio Grande and now they're wanting to take me to Washington DC to live in Joe's house. Who's Joe?!

Epic... up
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 11:15 PM

Came here in 2014 after I retired from active duty. I decided to teach NJROTC for my next career and TX has a lot of schools with the program. I couldn't return to my native CO because while I was in the USN CO turned into CA and I refuse to live in CA or any place like it. My family got to what became CO before the Civil War but nearly all have left the state now due to CA transplants.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 11:16 PM

Born in Huntsville Alabama to Texans, dad was in Army during Vietnam. Mom born in Crockett Texas and Dad born in Dallas. Grandparents born in Weches Texas and Austinio Texas. Lived here my entire life, except college.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Originally Posted by Tom Tucker

Epic... up

That is funny!!!!
Posted By: Couzin

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 11:44 PM

Came to Texas in 1990 from Maryland and Southern Illinois. This is my home. Love Texas and folks here. Already have my burial plot and headstone. grin Strangely enough, Stephen F. Austin and I share a common ancestor in Richard Austin II (1598-1638).
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/13/22 11:59 PM

Dad is from OK. Mom from KS. I was born in Little Rock, but I usually don't admit that. Moved to Texas when I was less than 6 mos old. I may not have a Texas birth certificate, but I'm as much a Texan as anyone else born here.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/14/22 12:30 AM

Came from AR in the 99 been here ever since and don’t plan on leaving unless Texas turns blue and BETO gets elected might migrate north to OK.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Non natives in Texas - 10/14/22 05:42 AM

I moved to Sweetwater in 1992 from Roswell NM. I was actually born in Colorado but moved to NM when I was 2. I moved to Lubbock in 1995 to go to Tech and have never left.

My parents are dead and I have no siblings. The only reason I am in Lubbock is my wife is from here and has a ton of family in the area and wants to be close to them. With my job I could live pretty much anywhere within say 6 hours of here. If it were up to me I darn sure wouldn’t be in Lubbock. It’s a decent town with friendly people and anything you could need but I hate having to drive over an hour to hunt or fish for that matter.

My dream place would be living on land that I could hunt, decent fishing within 30 miles or so, and close enough to civilization to keep the wife happy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum