Texas Hunting Forum

What was your first computer?

Posted By: reeltexan

What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:14 AM

I had a Timex Sinclair 1000. Smaller than an iPad.
You wrote your own programs in Basic and saved them on a cassette tape.

Then came Compuserve and the IBM PC Jr. - it had color text. Wow.

What was your first PC?
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:14 AM

Commodore 64. Great little computer.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:21 AM

I guess I never have owned a computer.

I do remember shooting the hell out of buffaloes on some ancient computers in grade school. I think I was supposed to buy a bunch of flour and beans and [censored] with my money. Nah. I just need some more bullets and enough oxen to get me to them good buffalo hunting spots.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:22 AM

A 8080 chip and a breadboard. First after that was a Commodore 64
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:23 AM

PC Jr was the first my family owned. Dual floppy and the extra sidecar's of RAM. I used a TRS-80 and then an Osbourne in HS.
Posted By: RSTX

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:24 AM

My mom gave me a Commodore 64 back in 84 (or 85-86, sometime around there). I remember writing the "if-then" instructions and a few others.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:29 AM

Tandy 1000ex
Posted By: SRPI89

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:31 AM

My parents bought us a Tandy at the Sher-Den (not to be confused with Midway) mall in Sherman, TX in 1988
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:32 AM

Hewlett Packard
Posted By: angus1956

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:36 AM

NEC rebranded for the company I worked for at the time. Had the big boy 20 Meg hard drive and I did the $100.00 upgrade for the 1.44 floppy drive. Had enough power to go to the moon in those days.

Too funny now takes more than 20 Meg to boot up a machine now. I paid $2600.00 for that bad boy eek2
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:37 AM

Apple IIe. Dual diskette drives, I was ballin’.

Charlie

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:40 AM

Ah, the 5.25 floppy

A wonderful upgrade.
I had some 3.25s until a few years ago.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:44 AM

Univac 1050-2
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:44 AM

Big arse apple. Command line to play pong
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

I do remember shooting the hell out of buffaloes on some ancient computers in grade school. I think I was supposed to buy a bunch of flour and beans and [censored] with my money. Nah. I just need some more bullets and enough oxen to get me to them good buffalo hunting spots.

Yup, been there done that roflmao I think mine was a Gateway back in like 97' when I was in 7th grade.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:54 AM

Ti4a
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:55 AM

I don’t know but I remember to play a game I had to do some ms-dos crap
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by HoneyBeez

Yup, been there done that roflmao I think mine was a Gateway back in like 97' when I was in 7th grade.

Oregon Trail, used to go play that in the neighborhood library back when that was the only place in town that had a computer. Think that was like 96-98ish

Loved that game, ahhh the much simpler times.
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 02:00 AM

Kapro
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 02:00 AM

Apple ][ plus, back in 1982.
Just a broke high-school kid then, traded a good working dual-trace Heathkit Oscillioscope and some cash for a broken Apple2+ (couldn't afford a working one) - but got it working a month later!

Stored programs on mom's cassette recorder.
Took another year before I could buy 2 143k floppy drives, a 300 baud Volksmodem, and a 9-pin dot-matrix printer!

Best deal of my life - led to me becomming a career computer-wiz.
Posted By: rickym

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 02:02 AM

Can’t remember what it was. The screen was black with green characters, early/mid 90s.
Played a lot of asteroids games on it!
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 02:04 AM

Amiga 2000.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 02:11 AM

An Atari. Wrote if then.. or nor... who cares and saved on a cassette. I wrote a program that would plot the ballistic ark of a 30.06 bullet. Teacher was not impressed.

Then the famous Commodore 64. Then nothing for years. Then had an HP with Windows 95. All more my software was on 5 1/ 4 floppys, so I exit Windows to go to DOS.

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by oldoak2000
Apple ][ plus, back in 1982.
Just a broke high-school kid then, traded a good working dual-trace Heathkit Oscillioscope and some cash for a broken Apple2+ (couldn't afford a working one) - but got it working a month later!

Stored programs on mom's cassette recorder.
Took another year before I could buy 2 143k floppy drives, a 300 baud Volksmodem, and a 9-pin dot-matrix printer!

Best deal of my life - led to me becomming a career computer-wiz.

Brothers / different mothers

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gravytrain
Amiga 2000.

I wanted one of those bad.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 02:21 AM

No idea and really no interest. I remember some of the computers at school had a “turbo” button I always pushed it cheers

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 02:24 AM

First one I programmed on was an IBM 360 in FORTRAN using punch cards.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lazyjack
An Atari. Wrote if then.. or nor... who cares and saved on a cassette. I wrote a program that would plot the ballistic ark of a 30.06 bullet. Teacher was not impressed.

Then the famous Commodore 64. Then nothing for years. Then had an HP with Windows 95. All more my software was on 5 1/ 4 floppys, so I exit Windows to go to DOS.

Oh yeah, I remember the cassettes
I had an Atari400 then moved up to the 800.
Next was the TRS-80 man we thought those things were amazing.
Posted By: Phlash

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 04:01 AM

I started off on a DEC 10 that translated to paper tape that was loaded into an IBM 360. I also did the same with an IBM 1130 and an Interdata Model 70. These machines could be programmed in Fortran, Cobol or machine code. All the machines had magnetic tape storage and true core storage. Those were the days!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 04:09 AM

Mid 90’s Apple with a DOS compatible card so you could also run Windows. Got it through wife’s school.
Posted By: Payne

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 04:29 AM

IBM PC 5150
Posted By: nak

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 04:43 AM

TRaSh-80 Model I
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 04:52 AM

Our elementary school got apple computers in '81 if I remember correctly. We didn't have our own computer until I was in Jr High. It was an IBM I believe.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 08:41 AM

Y’all must have gone to rich schools. I never used or had access to a computer until I started my career.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by nak
TRaSh-80 Model I

Same here....
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Y’all must have gone to rich schools. I never used or had access to a computer until I started my career.

I was an E3 when i bought mine, probably skipped a few car insurance payments to buy it like a moron. That was my signature move at the time.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 12:18 PM

Atari 400. Programmed in Basic & saved to cassette.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by HoneyBeez

Ours was a Gateway to. Bought it in 97 if I remember correctly. I think we paid between 2-3 thousand for it back then.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 12:31 PM

TRaSh-80
Posted By: fishmorethanhunt

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 12:41 PM

I think it was an Apple 2c that mom bought to teach her 6th grade students computer literacy.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 12:49 PM

In college (1966) I had to go to the computer lab to run programs (punchcards) on the one big IBM. Then got a job with an oil company (1970) and ran programs (punchcards) on a big IBM. All in Fortran IV. Next was a Radio Shack 100 that I bought (1980ish) and wrote programs on in Basic. Those were my first gasoline blending programs, which I sold (with the computer) and used the money to get bigger computers. The Radio Shack stuff had to be in the early 80’s. Pretty primitive, but useful. I don’t remember what years we got the first desktop PCs. Had to be after 1985, when I had a job that didn’t require computer use. Left that job in 1990 and the next job had desktops being issued to all engineers.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 12:57 PM

My first computer was an IBM PC clone from Northgate I still have the glass coffee cup they gave me.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Did they even have computers back then?
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by el Rojo
Kapro

I also had a Texas Instrument computer. I don't remember which one I had first.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by nak
TRaSh-80 Model I

Same here. TRS-80 by Tandy Electronics and DOS programming language.

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:38 PM

Extra nerd credit if you used these.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Charlie
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:48 PM

My hearing is shot from years of manning the consoles of USAF mainframe computers and the accompanying punch card readers and printers. I could read a punch card in my sleep.

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 01:58 PM

I have a 90's era water cooled mainframe processor here somewhere. It's a large die, about 7" or so square with 4 water input/output sockets. One of my customers wanted it for a show/tell thing, TSA in Houston almost took it away from me. They thought it was explosive or part of something that could be.

Charlie
Posted By: Cochise

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 02:08 PM

I have no earthly idea what brand the first one we had was - something my Mom was given from work that was black screen with green letters - somehow discovered there was some extremely basic DOS bass fishing game on it that I played the heck out of...had to be around 1992-1993.

The first actual one I remember well is an Acer - I want to say that thing was expensive as hell sometime around 1996-1997.

I remember the school had Macs - first the old school ones - then the year they came out the ones that were different colors on top and shaped weird.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 02:47 PM

Ordered a kit from Radio Shack and built it myself. That was somewhere around 1981 - 1982.
Posted By: Phlash

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 03:23 PM

I still have the same template and several others for programming. I can't count the number of cards and paper tape I have punched.
Posted By: Guy

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 03:37 PM

I remember my first job, 1989 EDS, I did lease vs purchase analysis on computes. I had an 8086, had a model in lotus 1-2-3, you would put your numbers in, hit calc, and it would run for 15 minutes to calculate. When they came out with the 286, I was the first to get it in our organization, same spreadsheet would calculate instantly.

When they came out with the 386, of course I wanted it, when I finally got one is when I created model that took 4 days to calculate on the 286.

When I was getting my undergrad at SMU in the late 80's, we would got to the computer room, and do spreadsheets that ran on mini-computers, that were huge.
Posted By: P_102

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 05:25 PM

Trash 80.

Anyone remember this….."There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home." Ken Olsen, Digital Equipment Corp. CEO, 1977. From there, and several failed attempts at catching up with the internet market, DEC closed it’s doors in the late 80’s or early 90’s.
Posted By: DukeCigars

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 05:34 PM

I’m on the younger side of folks here, but I remember my family saving up to buy my grandpa’s old computer. He was significantly fiscally stronger than we were. It was a Windows 3.1. Grandpa had asked my folks how we planned on paying for internet if we had to save up for the computer. I remember my mom saying “AOL trials come in the mail at least every week” and we lived on those. Sometimes we would save to buy some discs with hours on them

My personal first computer would have been when I was 14 or 15. I was working on construction sites with my pops. Wasn’t taxed at that age so I was really banking up with overtime!! Saved up and bought a nice computer for myself. Can’t remember, I think that’s when windows XP was first coming out. Maybe I had windows 98 on that one
Posted By: 603Country

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 06:01 PM

When desktop computers became common in offices, and I’m guessing it was about 1990, though my recall is fuzzy and the exact year doesn’t really matter, things moved fast. If you had a computer, it quickly became a much used tool to do just about everything in the office. If you didn’t have a job in that short window of computer knowledge acceleration, you were hardly hireable. Seems like that window was about 3 years, going from no computer use to all computer use. I had a buddy that got let go in that exact time frame. He missed all of the huge knowledge gathering - email, spreadsheets, and such. It took him a long time to get rehired in the oil industry, and he was so far behind in computer knowledge, he got let go again, from the new job. He went home and ate his shotgun barrel.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
When desktop computers became common in offices, and I’m guessing it was about 1990, though my recall is fuzzy and the exact year doesn’t really matter, things moved fast. If you had a computer, it quickly became a much used tool to do just about everything in the office. If you didn’t have a job in that short window of computer knowledge acceleration, you were hardly hireable. Seems like that window was about 3 years, going from no computer use to all computer use. I had a buddy that got let go in that exact time frame. He missed all of the huge knowledge gathering - email, spreadsheets, and such. It took him a long time to get rehired in the oil industry, and he was so far behind in computer knowledge, he got let go again, from the new job. He went home and ate his shotgun barrel.

Man, sorry to hear that.
Yep, things moved fast from about 1987 onwards. I was in the 'biz' and could hardly keep up - sold computers as fast as we could put them together - 8mhz turbo xt compatible with 640k and 20meg hd and ega screen, all for $995, with people standing in line with cash in hand to get one.
I also gave away many 'trade in' computers, as 'starter computers' to family and friends. Everyone I gave one to, it changed their lives - and they're all making 6-digits now...
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/18/22 08:57 PM

PC Jr. Adding 128kb memory expansion was the size of a book.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/20/22 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
First one I programmed on was an IBM 360 in FORTRAN using punch cards.

X 2. In college

They sure got upset if you screwed up the programming and got it in a loop that printed off a bunch of gibberish on that green bar paper.
Posted By: 71Rcode

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/20/22 07:31 PM

Packard Bell 486SX-33 ... $1200 in 1993?
Posted By: glens

Re: What was your first computer? - 08/20/22 11:18 PM

1980. Radio Shack (TRS-80) when I was Shop Foreman for a Company out in West Texas Also Made Payroll checks for 35 hands on the puppy with one of their Dot Matrix Printer's. Slower than molasses..I didn't know it then.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum