Texas Hunting Forum

Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today

Posted By: Smokey Bear

Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 01:52 AM

Today a good friend I work with was driving me to Huntsville. My truck was in the shop having some work done. We were headed west on 190 near Oakhurst. There was a grass fire on the side of the highway right of way that had just started. Maybe 6’x6’ and growing bigger fast. If it gets in the woods it will quickly become a bad fire. The local landowners potentially taking a large financial hit. I don’t have a clue who owned the land along that road but it was about to burn. My buddy whipped over, we unassed the truck, and we’re doing our best to beat it out but we were losing. We needed help. At least 50 cars slowed down almost to a stop. Several stopped and just sat in there cars and watched. I hollered for someone to get out and help. Not a one of them made a move. About the time we were going to have to give it up and move the truck to keep it from burning a young man came screeching to a stop and bailed out and pitched in. We were able to stomp it down with one more person. At least 50 automobiles with sorry son of a guns that were going to just sit there and watch the fire take off. What the hell is wrong with people today?
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 01:53 AM

They would rather post a selfie 🤳
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 01:56 AM

Too many people today want to sit and watch instead of act. No other way to put it.

Good on you and the others to get that contained
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide

50 versions uploaded in those minutes. Disgusting. Progress? You can have it.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 01:58 AM

They were all tagging the local news network on book of faces or insta. It is [censored] shameful and good on that young man for doing the right thing. There are still a few of us out there that are not completely clueless.
Posted By: Catperch

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:24 AM

Smokey, we were talking about stuff like this today. We have created a society of zombies.....

The other day we were at Dairy Queen and a lady was choking. She was embarrassed and hid behind a cardboard sign. When I realized what was happening, I ran over and told a worker to dial 911 and just before I started to do the heimlich, she grabbed her throat and squeezed and took a breath. Turned out, it was a chip turned weird and she squeezed and crushed it in her throat. The crazy part is her grandson was sitting at the table playing a freaking video game and never even looked up. He was probably 12 years old and didn't have earphones in so he had to heard the commotion. He was just so oblivious to the world, he was going to let his grandmother die so he wouldn't have to put he video game down. It's a crazy time!
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:25 AM

Smokey Bear… only you can prevent forest fires roflmao

Sorry man, I had to.

It’s a damn shame the way people are so self centered these days. I carry a fire extinguisher in my truck for that reason amongst others.

Good on y’all and the young man for gettin’er done.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Thundervee

Sorry man, I had to.

It’s a damn shame the way people are so self centered these days. I carry a fire extinguisher in my truck for that reason amongst others.

clap

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Thundervee

Sorry man, I had to.

It all good thunder. By profession I am a forester. The moniker is a play on that.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:29 AM

I figured you were probably a forest ranger or something like that. Good job my man.
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:30 AM

Similar thing happened to me this week. Lightning strike started a grass fire in a residential area. 15 or so people on foot watching it grow closer to a fence. I put it out with a fire bottle.

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:46 AM

Good for you chicken man. I didn’t expect that and was pretty disappointed after the fact.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:49 AM

Worked on a pool equipment pad Wednesday, an hour after had to go back and spent an hour with multiple hoses putting out a lightning struck oak 10’ from the equipment pad! Had to deal with some melted pvc afterwards! bang

Glad y’all were able to keep that one from escalating! Likely a cigarette smoker!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:51 AM

People suck. Get used to it.

When parents don’t raise their children, they go feral, and this is the result. It’s not going to get better anytime soon.
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
People suck. Get used to it.

When parents don’t raise their children, they go feral, and this is the result. It’s not going to get better anytime soon.

Nailed it.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 03:46 AM

Have you checked to see if anybody put a short on YouTube?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide

Guarantee phones were out
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 10:07 AM

I appreciate what you, your friend and the stranger did, and I’m sure the landowner does too.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 10:53 AM

Good job jumping into action and stopping that fire before it got out of hand. cheers

BTW those 50 or so vehicles that passed by or stopped and watched were probably not true Texans but transplants from somewhere else!

Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 11:27 AM

Did the same thing a month or two ago on a busy two lane. I am trying to stomp and shovel and kick sand on a grass fire that started with someone's cigarette. Hundreds of cars drove past and and nobody would stop to help. One truck finally stopped on a driveway headed to a house and tried stomping on some grass over there. Thankfully someone did call the fire dept. and they showed up. I was a little pi**ed off at the time as well.
Posted By: Donpilot

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 12:23 PM

Afraid of being helpful and then getting a call from a lawyer.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 12:31 PM

As I was driving to lease on Thursday morning, I was surprised to see all the burnt up medians on I20. As we continued west, there was a left lane regulator in front of me just taking his sweet time. At one point he rolls down his window, sticks his arm and and flicks his cigarette to the ground. Fortunately the cigarette bounced back towards the middle of the lane and not towards the median.

Someone else said it, people suck. This guy could clearly see all of fire damage, but he didn’t give a rip and would rather throw his butts on the ground than put them in his ashtray.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 12:50 PM

In 2001 my Fire Department made 7500 calls that year. 6 Engines, 1 Truck, 4 Ambulances

I'm 2021 we made 14,500 calls with 6 Engines, 1 Truck, 5 Ambulances.

There's not double the emergency calls, just double the calls. People do not take action to fix minor problems, they expect someone else to do it. I have turned off hundreds of water meters to houses over the years. Because we were dispatched to a "water leak". Roll a fire engine, with four men to go turn a ball valve 90°.

I am not surprised at all no one got out to help stomp out a small grass fire. That's someone else's job according to them.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 12:53 PM

I used to drive I-20 from Marshall to Longview daily and kept a 3 gallon pump up sprayer and a burlap sack in the back of the truck. It is amazing how much fire you can knock out with that little bit of water and a wet tote bag.
If you catch it early enough, a fire was easy to put out. Even a green Pine limb makes a good fire stomper.
Thanks for putting that fire out, I'm sure the adjoining land owners would be proud of y'all for doing that.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:14 PM

I really am surprised no one else stopped to help.
Personally, I’ve always, deep down, yearned to be a hero. Superman, jump in phone booth, and save the day.
Maybe it’s a guilt complex of how my parents generation gave so much in the war.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:20 PM

Don’t expect much from people and you won’t be disappointed.

A while back we talked about people that were ‘fixers’ and that did repairs and such on their own. Well, we fixers are a small and dwindling lot. I may be the last on my side of the family. Everyone else in the family has to call someone else to fix just about everything that breaks or fails.

Edit: I wasn’t finished, but the cat was puking and I had to clean it up. Back to being ‘fixers’…I think fixers, like probably most on the forum, would take time to help folks - grass fire, flat tire, and such as that. That’s the mind set we have. Personally, I’m not one to video somebody else’s disaster and not step in.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:26 PM

When I was 12 I accidentally caught Richland College campus on fire. Not a little fire either, but almost the entire East side. 35 mph winds proved the wrong time to be flying model rockets and what started out as a fire about the size of driveway quickly became the size of several football fields. The grass was cut real low, so it just burned on the perimeter, but the wind spread it very fast. People were running from the tennis courts and everywhere trying to help. I remember my feet getting so hot and the bottom of my shoes melting from dragging them across the flames trying to put it out. The wind was just too strong. 3 fire trucks showed up and got it out right before it hit the neighborhood. Probably the most scarred I’ve ever been.
Posted By: glens

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 02:37 PM

Sounds simular to the Rino's in Washington. Watch,. talk, and sit on their azz's.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 03:39 PM

You sure the ones who did not help were Texans?? We have had a lot of move ins from other places this year
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
As I was driving to lease on Thursday morning, I was surprised to see all the burnt up medians on I20. As we continued west, there was a left lane regulator in front of me just taking his sweet time. At one point he rolls down his window, sticks his arm and and flicks his cigarette to the ground. Fortunately the cigarette bounced back towards the middle of the lane and not towards the median.

Someone else said it, people suck. This guy could clearly see all of fire damage, but he didn’t give a rip and would rather throw his butts on the ground than put them in his ashtray.

You would think people would know better, that’s a no no.
World is full of idiots.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 04:06 PM

Yep

no church
no manners
no brains
no nothing

like already said

most people suck, especially the ones all wrapped up in themselves and social media

lots of mentally ill too

come on GOD and end this thing flame angel
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 04:26 PM

I sat in the ditch west of Wingate for two hours one evening from 5-7pm. Over 200 cars, nobody stopped until a van-load of church campers helped me out. Same spot two years later, guy that passed me 10 miles back is sitting there-I pulled over, his Ecoboost lost a head gasket. He had already called somebody but at least I offered.

I try to stop when I can and would definitely have helped in OP's situation. Bunch of losers. Revoke their Texas membership.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 04:39 PM

Maybe I got a sign from God one day. Dad sent me to a neighboring town to get something, and he wanted it quickly. I was motoring along in his truck, and there was the Methodist Minister with a flat tire. I honked the horn and kept going. On the way back, I had a flat in just about the same place. Here comes the Minister. He honked and kept going.
Posted By: bjh

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 04:50 PM

well down the road a little he stuck out his tongue and peed in his pants! roflmao
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 05:45 PM

they were too busy getting video for YouTube and TikTok. Witnessed two people throwing cig butts out the window yesterday morning along 380 in McKinney. Real pieces of chit...nasty smokers.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 06:47 PM

You can pretty much bet your boots some dumb a$$ threw a cigarette out to start the fire.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 08:10 PM

people...........they're the worst
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 08:55 PM

This is what I don't get about smokers. If it's so nasty you don't want it in your vehicle...why are you putting it in your mouth and body?
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 08:56 PM

It amazes me how many idiots throw cigarettes out the window. I do a lot of driving before sunrise for work and see cigarettes flying out windows almost daily. It’s a wonder they don’t start more fires than they do.
Posted By: R83steve

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 09:43 PM

Good for you and the other folks that got the fire out
Posted By: JCB

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 09:47 PM

I saw something today that made me stop and think about all the grass fires we see along the side of the roads. We always hear about how they were started by someone throwing out a cigarette, someone dragging tow chains, etc. What I saw today was a guy towing a smoker trailer with the firebox still lit. Its pretty common with competition rigs but has to be a accident waiting to happen in times like these.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/13/22 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
I saw something today that made me stop and think about all the grass fires we see along the side of the roads. We always hear about how they were started by someone throwing out a cigarette, someone dragging tow chains, etc. What I saw today was a guy towing a smoker trailer with the firebox still lit. Its pretty common with competition rigs but has to be a accident waiting to happen in times like these.

I’ve seen that also. Put that thing out!

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/14/22 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Donpilot
Afraid of being helpful and then getting a call from a lawyer.

My generation just calls it the “pussification” it is.
Posted By: 10mmillie

Re: Saw some sorry a$$ Texans today - 08/14/22 01:34 AM

I've helped stomp fires out on the side of roads and had people just drive by. I was once a cop and had many fights in public and see people standing around watching. The funny ones called the Chief later to tell him how traumatized they were by watching me take these people into custody. Worthless [censored].
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum