Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting citation

Posted By: spacejunkie

Hunting citation - 08/05/22 02:55 PM

anyone ever gotten one? If so want to share the details?

I've only had one and it still sticks in my craw. In 1976 I was coaching in Brinkley Arkansas and was commuting to get there. Every day I had to pass through a section of a public hunting section on the interstate. Almost everyday I saw deer in a certain area in the middle of the area that had no access other than hoofing it for about three mile. I was heavy into bow hunting then and it finally got to me that I had to hunt that area. Two days after football season was over I pulled off the interstate in a secluded spot and hiked in with my tree climbing tree stand. Didn't get one but enjoyed the effort. Got back to my car and had a citation on my windshield.

Called the number on the citation and talked to the local judge and explained the situation to the him. He said to just to come in and he would take care of it. Happens the judge was a big high school football fan and he hated the Brinkley Tigers as we were his team's rivals. He threw the book at me and added a few things that were not on the original ticket. After that I never looked for deer in that stretch of road again.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 03:04 PM

Got one, once.
Hunting sunflowers on opening day, big field, day lease. Shot some birds and needed more ammo, which was back at the truck. I walk back, get the ammo and put the birds on the tailgate. I counted nine birds.

I went back out to shoot six more dove, which I did in short order.

On the way back to the truck the GW stops and asks how many I have. A limit says I. I explained that I had six in my vest and nine at the truck. He counts the birds in my vest and tells me that there's a problem. He had counted seven in the vest. I had missed one bird when I went back for the ammo. I now had 16.

$120 for one extra bird.
Think about that the next time you want to shoot over.

Posted By: Blank

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 03:06 PM

Only one.

Drew a controlled hunt for elk here in Idaho in 1978. Killed my first one ever (a cow) and managed to get half of it to the car, and went to the local store to call a friend to come help get the other half off the mountain. Back then you had to fill in the info on the back of your paper license, sign it, and then notch your tag and attach to animal. Junior G-Man GW came by, and I flagged him down to show off my first elk. Seems I didn't get the notches totally cut out and he gave me a ticket for "improperly tagged" game animal. Judge was bitch who hated hunters, and gave me a $50 fine to teach me a lesson!!!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 03:16 PM

Things must have been slow in both cases. Maybe the warden was bored.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 03:32 PM

I have never "crossed the line"!
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 03:33 PM

I haven't, but one of my hunting buddies had a good one. He shot a nice 8 point a week or so into rifle season. It was the same 8 point I watched all bow season and we all agreed to let him walk to grow. He shot it late in the evening hunt. He found the deer at dark and tagged it up in the dark. When I got back to camp, there was a game warden at our camp. He asked if anyone shot anything, and I said I think "M" shot a buck. "M" comes into camp all excited about his 8 point. I've already cracked a beer and small talking with the GW and everyone. The GW says we have a problem. "M" had tagged his 8 point buck with a Red Drum tag!!! I about fell off the tail gate laughing. "M" was shocked! Back then, the red drum tag was top left on the license and the buck tag was low right. "M" was an older hunter and needed glasses for close in. During tagging the deer at night, he had inverted his license, and used the red drum tag instead of the buck tag. Luckily, he had filled out the back of the license with the buck box checked and dated properly. The GW knew it was an honest mistake, and he made him fix it there on the spot. He only received a citation for an improperly tagged deer. The GW said had he not filled out the back of the license properly, he would have started confiscating items related to the deer, like a rifle and the truck the deer was in. After it was all said and done, we had a good laugh. And we still laugh about it to this day! (My brother also got a citation for no hunters ed that same night, which was dismissed after he took it)
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 03:46 PM

Flowers was an avid fisherman and his partner, Rimmer was not. Flowers went up to Canyon Lake and Rimmer tagged along in his flip flops to drink beer. There were people around and Flowers needed to relieve himself. He asked Rimmer if he would hold his rod until his return Of course Rimmer complied. Just when Flowers disappeared, a GW appeared outta nowhere and asked for Rimmer's fishing license. Rimmer advised the GW that he was not fishing. GW started filling out a citation. Flowers returned and the GW would have nothing of either guys' story, telling Rimmer to tell it to the 82 year old JP who would judge on the "issue".

Rimmer later showed up in Fred Stewart's court whereupon Fred asked him why he was there. Rimmer responded with "Well there I was out at the lake, drinking a beer with a fishing pole in my hand when this GW came up up and gave me a citation.". He began to continue when the ol' JP slammed down the gavel, indicated he had heard enough to make a decision and pronounced Rimmer guilty as charged.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 04:04 PM

One for not having my license and hunters safety card on me. Turns out it was in my other pocket the whole time. Was probably 18 years old and on a busy field I had no permission to be on in the middle of a bunch of guys that did not know me. So I’d call that a win and smart talking.

Removing the wings from ducks before getting home. Was camping on the lake and just breasted them out. Got me.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 04:07 PM

I have only had one, but it was a fishing violation not a hunting one.

Was down at landcut on an over night trip. Caught our 5 fish and threw them in the box. Next morning caught another 5 and headed home.

Got stopped in the intercoastal somewhere north of Baffin, and had to move all our camping gear out to get to the box of fish. Well, some of those 15 1/4" trout from the day before had shrunk to 14 3/4". He confiscated the two trout and gave me a citation.

Asked him since i already got a ticket could i keep the trout, he politely said he couldn't. Well when i get back to the dock I'm loading up and i see him pull up to the dock and give the two trout away to some random stranger, which irked me a bit.

Next thing that irked me, was when i asked him the fine he said it would be about $60/fish, and he was correct. $60/fish to the state, which i thought was fair. But the Kleberg county J.P charged me $300.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 04:14 PM

When I was in high school me and two buddies were shooting 22's up against a railroad embankment. We were shooting cans and bottles. GW comes up and asks what we're hunting. We tell him we are not hunting but just plinking cans and bottles. He asks to see our licenses. One of my friends and I pull out our licenses. The other friend doesn't have one. It's middle of the summer. GW writes him a ticket for hunting without a license. We again tell him "sir we are not hunting." He says tell it to the judge. The friend tells it to the judge and gets fined $150. Judge says it's GW's word against his. Left a really bad taste.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 04:36 PM

I got popped for no fishing license once. once.
Posted By: etsai

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 05:38 PM

First time duck hunted and didn’t realize public permit was not included in super combo. GW wrote me up and told to call Monday to see what the cost. Called Monday and clerk said they haven’t turned it in and call back Friday. This went on for three weeks and clerk finally said don’t worry about it. Never again.

Eugene
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 05:43 PM

One of the guys I hunt with got one last year. He was at his cow pasture working on a tractor and green jeans drove up on him. They BSed for about half an hour and he mentioned that he shot a deer opening weekend. They went to leave and as they got in their truck one said "well, we might as well check you license". It was at that point my buddy realized he had committed a grievous error in telling the game wardens he had shot a deer. On inspection of his license they asked why he had all of his tags of he had shot a deer. Turns out he had let another guy tag the deer he shot and take possession of the carcass. He got cited and had to pay a couple hundred dollars.

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
When I was in high school me and two buddies were shooting 22's up against a railroad embankment. We were shooting cans and bottles. GW comes up and asks what we're hunting. We tell him we are not hunting but just plinking cans and bottles. He asks to see our licenses. One of my friends and I pull out our licenses. The other friend doesn't have one. It's middle of the summer. GW writes him a ticket for hunting without a license. We again tell him "sir we are not hunting." He says tell it to the judge. The friend tells it to the judge and gets fined $150. Judge says it's GW's word against his. Left a really bad taste.

That's the GW that I'm familiar with. The ones they show on Lone Star Law, not so much.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 06:18 PM

I only got one, my first duck hunt in 2003. It was a walk-in spot on Lake X, GW approach me, how many you got he says. I said one. He said what is it? I said a teal, He said no, that is a woodduck hen, he then proceeds to belittle me and lecture me that I need to learn how ID ducks before I pull the trigger. I said how am I suppose to learn how to ID ducks? He told me to start by getting the Lemaster Method Waterfowl ID book.

After checking my license, he says where is your Type 2 Public Hunting permit? I said what is that? roflmao

After writing me a ticket for that, I was being real nice, yes sir no sir...He asked me if I wanted to follow him on his runs and he would show me some more duck hunting spots.

I bought that Lemaster Method Waterfowl ID book the next day, carried it with me on every hunt for years, still have it..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 06:28 PM

Two warnings. One from a federal warden in Oklahoma. Forgot to purchase a federal duck stamp. Had Arkansas and Oklahoma licenses, along with both state duck stamps. The one year I forget something is the year he hikes out in the swamp to check us. Was originally going to ticket me (deservedly so), and changed his mind as we were walking back to his truck.

Got a warning from state park police this year for not having my “Certificate of Number for a Vessel” card on me during a boat safety check. Turns out I did have it, but it was stuck to the back of a different card in my wallet. Didn’t find it until after they left.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 07:21 PM

No Hunters Ed on my first hunt ever in 1994 on a dove hunt. 5 out 6 got the same tickets. He said he wouldn't be back though so keep hunting.

Had one finally stop by our deer camp past couple years. Seems the cops and firefighters don't know how to fill out tags properly. Pretty ironic. Just warnings given.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 07:41 PM

Several run ins, but only 1 warning for fishing without a license on the morning of my 17th birthday.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 08:03 PM

Killed an antelope in Wyoming in 1985. Filled out the tag but had nothing to attach it to the animal. Got stopped at a check point in Medicine Bow before I got to the hotel room to get some tape to attach it. Ticket was $100 I believe for improper tagging.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 08:04 PM

I was hunting dove in south Texas and there was a large group (50+).

My dad shot his limit and walked out of the field. My brother was next. I was walking out and I ran into 2 guys on 2 wheelers. They asked me how I did, I said I shot my limit and they said 'Great' and did not say anything else. No badges or uniforms).

About an hour later, guys asked us why we did not tell them about the GWs. We said we did not see any GWs.

Lots of guys learned that day not to shoot over their limit.

There were also guys who walked out for lunch with only a couple of birds who could not hit their butts with both hands.
Posted By: Ders26

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 08:10 PM

Only one. Duck hunting during split season in Corpus when I was going to college there. We hiked about a mile to a new spot. Me and my buddy were one bird shy of a two man limit. We decided to wait it out since we had never limited out down there. We never really had any luck duck hunting down there until we bought a boat my last year there. GW pulls up about 200 yards from our truck. We decide to go ahead and pack up for the day. Head straight to GW truck grinning from ear to ear on our accomplishments for the morning. GW lets us put all birds on his truck, we go through gun plugs and licenses and everything else having a nice chat. Get done with it and he asks what day it was, we tell him, and he asks why we were hunting during the split. I guess our faces said it all and he got a big smirk on his face. He realized it was an honest mistake (even though it shouldn't of happened). He gave us a ticket for hunting out of season but could have thrown a ton of other citations on us as well as restocking fees.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 08:10 PM

They always let the people off with a warning on that TV show; never some poor old guy in the real world.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 09:15 PM

Got ticketed for being a life jacket short when I took a couple buddies crappy fishing. GW pulled me over for a safety inspection. Was shocked to the core when I opened the dry storage and was missing a number of life vests. Later I asked my brother, who'd borrowed my boat the previous weekend, if he'd seen them. He said "yep" last I saw them they were laying on the floor of the boat when we pulled her out of the water.... mad He never got to borrow my boat again. I'm sure someone found some nice jackets on the side of the highway between the boat dock and my house.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 09:32 PM

My only bad GW experience was about 30 years ago white bass fishing on the Colorado River at Bend. I was wading the river downstream from Sulpher when I got a really bad leg cramp from the cold water. I didn't have much choice, either get out of the water or drown, so I got out. Of course now I was technically trespassing on private property and sure enough the grumpy old GW that used to be in Lampasas county was watching with binoculars. When I got the cramp worked out, I headed back upstream to my truck and he jumped me as soon as I got out of the river. I explained very politely what had happened but he wasn't having any of it. I finally told him to write the ticket, but get ready to see me and my attorney in court. I guess that must have made him realize it wasn't going to be a good look for him to write up someone who was in a survival situation, so he put up the ticket book and left.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 09:39 PM

I got one for duck hunting at Ray Roberts about 12 years ago. Some buddies asked me to join them and I knew the hunting would be marginal at best, so I decided I wasn't going to pay the $48 public lands fee for one lone hunt. Sure enough, warden shows up and tickets me. I didn't even argue it.

I've been around enough situations with wardens to realize that you never divulge any more information than what they are asking for. I've seen numerous hunting partners/lease members get ticketed because they just keep on talking their way into violations. Those guys aren't there to be your friend and like others have said, all that Lone Star Law BS is purely made for TV feel good fiction. The one exception is one time when a buddy of mine hit a buck while driving back to camp and he was certainly intoxicated. They actually let him call camp and get someone to pick him up....now that is one Hell of an exception.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 09:44 PM

I got to pay for one.

I'll explain, I loaned my friend one of my shotguns on a dove hunt and we were splitting a cut section of a dove field. He is about 75 yards away from me and I see the GW pull into the field checking others about 150 yards out. I called him and asked him how many shells can you put in that shotgun? He said 5....I said unscrew it (BPS) break off a sunflower stalk and shove it in there. He didn't know how to take it apart so the GW gave him a 130ish dollar fine. I felt bad for "setting him up" as he put it so I paid the ticket.

What would you have done?

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 09:49 PM

Split it
Posted By: R83steve

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 10:33 PM

I haven’t, but my buddy that I was hunting with got one. We were duck hunting in south Louisiana and camping out for a few nights. I had to go back to work one shift and after I got off, drove back to hunt a couple times. Buddy had hunted that morning and laid the birds on top of the ice chest awaiting me to get back and ask about one of the birds he shot. GW showed up before I got back and wrote him up for shooting a canvasback which was illegal back then. It cost him $300 if I remember correctly. The irony of this was that the GW was known to stop in and visit often, and if my buddy would have put the birds in the ice chest, he probably wouldn’t have even checked
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 10:43 PM

Lots of GW apologist running around here

At least there used to be…

I’ve had 2 petty citations, 1 got dismissed by the judge and I paid the other chicken S one and went on

We literally don’t need Game Wardens or the ATF
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster
They always let the people off with a warning on that TV show; never some poor old guy in the real world.

I've seen them not issue citations dozens of times when they could have.

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by Huntmaster

I've seen them not issue citations dozens of times when they could have.

Not a chance, I’ve saw it too

Those guys have 6-7 months a year to justify their jobs.

They are the least slack LE group in Tx

It’d be about like every local Pd officer writing everybody for 5 over they see

Saw it many times with my own eyes

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 11:08 PM

Hell I know a few of them personally

I like them as men but know what I know

They lookin…HARD

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 11:13 PM

If you keep posting to yourself you will never be a moderator roflmao
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 11:18 PM

Never. Been checked many times but have never received a warning or citation.
Posted By: batman

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 11:19 PM

I got an improperly tagged deer ticket many years ago. Me and my buddy filled out the tags in pencil, never should have listened to my buddy. However, he was doing me a favor and would not have gotten caught if he didn’t come help me. I payed both of our fines ($125 each iirc).This was before cutting out the dates was a requirement.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 11:28 PM

I’ve always checked out good, but my buddy got nailed two years ago dove hunting. He was so excited to get everything that he bought his license online the first week of August and ended up buying the previous years. He pulled up his online receipt with the date and the GW said, “sorry buddy”. I would have thought for sure he would have got a warning and then just be told to go buy the correct one… but nope.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 11:28 PM

I have never received a citation, but I have pissed off a few wardens that were trying to find something.
I have been threatened twice by a warden that I would be ticketed for things that I would never do.

Re: Hunting citation - 08/05/22 11:30 PM

rofl
Posted By: Stub

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 12:11 AM

Never had a citation. Deserved a few for bad decisions in the 70's & 80's!
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 12:52 AM

I’ve only had one. GW wrote me a ticket for an unplugged shotgun I had in the truck. I was hunting with an O/U. I moved to Tennessee a week later and never paid it.

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 01:06 AM

3-4 years ago I was a dam drug mule, hauling heroin, worshipping the devil for saying ANYTHING negative about Texas Game Wardens.

Looks like the tide is turning and guys are speaking out.

I wasn’t lying then or now

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 01:16 AM

Who cares how or when you killed it?

Enforce the bag limits…the end, or just disband and let the County handle it

If I wanna shoot a 170 at 0300 and only shoot 1 deer for the year

Why they worried?

Revenue…..that’s why.

Want to keep it sporty, abandon hooks w barbs, allow only recurves w flint heads, think about it…

Tickets and fines…

Prob my last post til Sunday, ProC out
Posted By: rickym

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 01:28 AM

That sucks.
Never received one, and just like all of us, I don’t plan to.
Never know what the future holds.
Was cited once for fishing without a license when I was young. Didn’t know I needed a license yet at 17.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 01:32 AM

Post count! # Oxner

He is admitting to being a criminal, hauling drugs, and encourages other illegal behavior!
roflmao

Won’t say any names, but I’m a pro and have crafted many topics! roflmao duel

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by rickym
That sucks.
Never received one, and just like all of us, I don’t plan to.
Never know what the future holds.
Was cited once for fishing without a license when I was young. Didn’t know I needed a license yet at 17.

That’s a hellacious crime

All my tickets were prior to 20 years old ,too your prior comment…which is 1, the other the judge kicked out

I’m 41 now, but I’ve saw others harshly punished for minor, minute, don’t make a dam stuff

Call them like I see em

A trusted friend, who is a youth pastor got cited for shooting a dove 1 minute past legal time

The GW said so lol

Tickets….

He flies right, don’t drink or speed or anything really

But I Think you are insulating I am a terrible outdoorsman.

That’d be false Chief

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by rickym

Post count! # Oxner

He is admitting to being a criminal, hauling drugs, and encourages other illegal behavior!
roflmao

Interesting.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 03:11 AM

Never had a warning or citation hunting or fishing. Checked a number of times. Stuff was in order. I was courteous and so was the GW.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 03:18 AM

Never been cited for anything, heck, never even seen a gamewarden while hunting or fishing.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 03:56 AM

Never an issue. They carry nice rifles too.
Posted By: glennwardjr

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 04:29 AM

1983. Louisiana, fishing without a license. Roommate wanted to start bass fishing but had never used a bait caster. Went to boat ramp to show him how, practice plug with no hooks and saw game warden coming. What a d_ _k. Judge was as well. $250 gone.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 05:01 AM

I have never got a ticket from a game warden but one saved my bacon one time. My dad worked for ducks unlimited for 18 years and knew the wardens well. I had recently graduated high school and was headed to a friends house who lived out in the country for a get together and I had a case of beer in the back seat of the truck. I get pulled over by he DPS for speeding. Nothing crazy I think five over or something. Anyway the trooper isaid he was going to give me a warning, and was writing it out when he paused and realized I was a minor. He then proceeded to tell me that he was going to have to take me in, impound my truck,etc. About this time the game warden is driving by and recognizes my truck and he whips in behind us. He convinces the trooper to just dump out my beer and give me a ticket and let me go on my way. Of course as soon as I left he called my Dad.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 05:34 AM

Never

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 07:33 AM

About 6.7 percent of their budget is from fines.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_rp_a0900_0679_12_20.pdf
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 12:33 PM

Not hunting but fishing, got a ticket for snagging carp at a power plant outlet. I thought I was doing the lake a favor, GW didn't agree.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 01:26 PM

I was hunting in Irving at Beltline & 114 at the NW corner, we had hunted for years and had permission from owner. One day Secret Service pulls up on me, I was hunting alone doves and asked me what I am doing, do you have permission, blah, blah, blah. Told me to head home for the day, said Carter was coming up 114 headed to airport, I went home for the day.

Next year we were hunting in the levee near Texas Stadium in Irving, on the Dallas/Irving border, Dallas police comes all up on us, opening doors, getting behind them with guns drawed and order us to drop our weapons, they asked us what we are doing, we said we are hunting, after some talking they said no hunting allowed, we went back home.

I was age 16 to 18 when all this took place, Irving used to be a pretty cool to live, and had tons of doves up near the DFW airport in my hunting spot, the levee's not so much.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 01:48 PM

Been hunting many years. Never even close to a citation. Had many GW come by our camp, check our dove count, etc. They have always been respectful and professional in my dealings with them
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 03:21 PM

Good dove hunting on the DFW airport property before and after it was built.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 03:29 PM

Was checked out a few times, but no tickets.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 04:18 PM

I never got any tickets but my hunting buddy and ran up on a unnamed GW one night during varmint season. He was hunting illegally and didn’t know we were anywhere around. We heard him shoot so we drove up on him. He had just shot a small buck and when we hit him with our spotlights he almost crapped. Needless to say we never had any trouble out of him. Also while fishing PK I had a GW stop and check us 4 times in about 5 hours. I finally asked him if we were the only boat on the lake.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 04:53 PM

Late seventies, NE Kansas. Very cold winter, everything but the river was frozen so all ducks headed there. Thousands upon thousands of Mallards. 3 of us went out, cleared some ice out of a flat and into the current then set the deeks, pre dawn. Dawn came and we were covered up, we shot until we had our limit of 15 drakes down/recovered and stopped. While we’re picking up the deeks, mallards are still coming in….and so did a Federal Warden. Said he watched our entire hunt from the tree line and, while we didn’t break out limit, he had to write us up….said when the last group came in we already had 13 down, meaning one of us had shot 5 already, but we all shot. This was true, we shot until 2 dropped and stopped. Even though it was obvious we were done and picking up to leave he wrote us up for attempting to break he limit…..said one of us had to take it, so we flipped a coin. Somewhere buried in the Federal files is a citation in my name. The 3 of us split the $30 fine evenly.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 07:33 PM

I was fishing one time on Canyon and got stopped by the gamewarden. He checked the licenses and did the normal safety protocol and we parted ways.

when they left, I looked at my license before i put it back in my wallet and realized it had been expired for over a year.

Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Hunting citation - 08/06/22 09:51 PM

Not me but my dad. Was on family land in Oklahoma and nice weather so he sets up tent camp back on a ridge couple miles from house, he was camp boss and not hunting just manning the fire and swigging coffee. The nephew was hunting and all legal and shot a deer. Had it hanging in tree and drove back to house to grab something so it was only dad, camp fire and deer in a tree. Rifle was unloaded and propped up by tent. Pop was enjoying a cigar and cup of coffee when GW comes walking up...mind you where camp was you had to know where it was and couldn't see it from road! Ask dad typical questions and was told the grandson shot a deer hanging there and that he (dad) was just camping, deer was tagged and all is good. GW looks up and notices Texas plates on the Dodge and next thing you know he is citing dad for hunting without license and handing out grief. Pi$$ed the old man off and he packed up, drove to lawyers office, signed a check and told lawyer bury this crap! GW transferred in short order when they told him cross that fence agin and rancher has zero sense of humor. My brother has bit of reputation with locals. Citation dismissed and life goes on.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum