Texas Hunting Forum

Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver?

Posted By: KRoyal

Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 06:38 PM

I'm in the market for silver mostly, at the moment looking to buy 100+ 1Toz silver bars. Best price I've found was $2067 for 100oz of silver shot. I've also been looking at getting a forge and crucible, so was thinking of melting down the silver shot and pouring my own 1oz bars. Seems like a fun hobby, with that I can also make copper and aluminum ingots as well. Not that they're worth very much but never know when they might come in handy.

I'm not really looking for 5-10oz bars or even kilos. I want them to be smaller denominations so if the stuff ever does hit the fan or our economy ceases to exist, which isn't too far fetched these days, I can use them for payment/barter.

Anyone have a good place to buy them not too far over spot price?

Thanks
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 06:45 PM

Hero bullion has had the best prices I’ve seen lately on silver.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 07:27 PM

Betty Crocker bars will be (should be) suspicious. Minted bars only if you want your barter precious metal to be taken seriously.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 08:03 PM

APMX.

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
Hero bullion has had the best prices I’ve seen lately on silver.

Thanks, HB was where I found the silver shot.

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
Betty Crocker bars will be (should be) suspicious. Minted bars only if you want your barter precious metal to be taken seriously.

Yes, good point and I had already started leaning that direction after posting this.

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
APMX.

Thanks, I'm looking at them now.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 08:27 PM

Buy it in Grams

https://www.herobullion.com/100x-1-gram-silver-bar-valcambi-silver-combibar/

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be

Already looked at that, but that works out to 47 an oz. LOL
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 09:12 PM

Provident has 10 oz, any mint, for $234.

Free shipping
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 09:21 PM

From my local undertaker.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 09:29 PM

Had a bunch that my company gave for prizes instead of cash. I cashed them in and did quite well. This was in early 2000

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Free shipping

Thanks, 5oz is the largest I'd want to buy. Prefer the 1oz bars though. Lowest I've found on them are $22.60/oz shipped.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 09:42 PM

Now is the time to buy. Silver prices are way down ($19.42).
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 09:44 PM

APMX.

Hero Bullion's prices on 1 oz. bars are about $3 cheaper than APMEX.
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal

Free shipping

Thanks, 5oz is the largest I'd want to buy. Prefer the 1oz bars though. Lowest I've found on them are $22.60/oz shipped.

I've used Provident in Dallas for buying, and selling, easy to deal with
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by talkturkey

Free shipping

I've used Provident in Dallas for buying, and selling, easy to deal with

Me too.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 11:06 PM

Apmex has sales every week. Sign up for their emails and you'll get notifications. I got silver buffalo coins last week for $22.70. If you can get close on price to bars I'd suggest coins. Easier to carry and store and they come in rolls.
Posted By: txwildcat

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/27/22 11:40 PM

APMX.

Same here.
Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/28/22 01:15 AM

Monumental metals seems to beat everyone else lately

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/28/22 02:14 AM

Thanks everyone. I put up a WTB in the classifieds if I don’t find any there I’ll buy from one of the above mentioned.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/28/22 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by DocHorton
Apmex has sales every week. Sign up for their emails and you'll get notifications. I got silver buffalo coins last week for $22.70. If you can get close on price to bars I'd suggest coins. Easier to carry and store and they come in rolls.

Yep, in a hard plastic sleve.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/28/22 07:44 PM

https://dillongage.com/
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/29/22 03:43 PM

APMX, SD Bullion, Provident and JM are all good . Shop around.

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/29/22 04:53 PM

Thanks guys, doesn't look like I'm getting much traction in the classifieds section. So I'm probably just going to buy from a bullion dealer, probably safer that way anyway.

Looks like Hero Bullion has the lowest prices I can find. Also just noticed that they are in Princeton TX just east of McKinney. I just contacted them to see if they allow walkins and cash buyers. If so I'll make a trip down this weekend and buy a bunch.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/29/22 05:37 PM

I still have my coin collection from my teenage years. Lots of Whitman folders plus roll of coins from pre 1964.
No plans to do anything with them. I don’t need the coins or the money they would bring.

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/29/22 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I still have my coin collection from my teenage years. Lots of Whitman folders plus roll of coins from pre 1964.
No plans to do anything with them. I don’t need the coins or the money they would bring.

Yes sir, I replied in the classifieds to you. Let me know if you'd like to make a deal.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/29/22 08:38 PM

The best deal you'll find on silver is that tea set in the classifieds. You can melt it down and make your own bars.

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/29/22 08:48 PM

The best deal you'll find on silver is that tea set in the classifieds. You can melt it down and make your own bars.

I've already been eyeballing it lol

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/29/22 09:11 PM

I've already been eyeballing it lol

Yep was gonna buy it but to big for storing for me, I don’t smelt
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/29/22 10:06 PM

Wrapped around Hersey's Nuggets.
Posted By: don k

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/29/22 10:18 PM

Good luck with getting your $20 silver

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/30/22 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by don k
Good luck with getting your $20 silver

It’s $21 silver and the day I posted it I could buy bars from hero bullion for 22, not going to pay a premium on the second hand market when I can purchase directly from a bullion dealer for $1 more. Makes no sense.

It has gone up the past few days sorry I don’t have a silver ticker on my thread to keep my price up to date.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/30/22 01:24 AM

I get mine right Heeruh laugh

[Linked Image]

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/30/22 03:04 AM

Dang should have bought it, he just changed his price.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/30/22 06:02 AM

+1

I've dealt with Apmex for a number of years, both buying and selling. They're honest and reliable.

I would suggest coins over bars as well, as it'll be easier to sell for a higher price when the time comes. Authenticity of silver coins is easier to confirm than for many silver bars.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/30/22 06:08 AM

If you are thinking barter purposes 90% silver is hard to beat. Specifically dimes. They are worth about $1.50 each. There is a lot of counterfeit stuff out there. China is a hole. Dimes have a small enough value and old ones are pretty distinct so I don’t think fakes are a real big issue. There are plenty of fake 1 ounce bars and coins floating around.

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/30/22 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sewer rat
If you are thinking barter purposes 90% silver is hard to beat. Specifically dimes. They are worth about $1.50 each. There is a lot of counterfeit stuff out there. China is a hole. Dimes have a small enough value and old ones are pretty distinct so I don’t think fakes are a real big issue. There are plenty of fake 1 ounce bars and coins floating around.

Thanks bud good advice and makes sense.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/30/22 01:58 PM

I’m not going to sell them. Wife would grab the $ and head to Winstar.

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/30/22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I’m not going to sell them. Wife would grab the $ and head to Winstar.

No problem sir, I wouldn’t sell them either.
Posted By: Donpilot

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/31/22 02:43 PM

When tshtf my money will be in Dinty Moore stew and spam.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/31/22 07:46 PM

9mm, .45 and .308 ammo will be worth it's weight in gold if that time where you think gold would come in handy ever comes.

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/31/22 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gravytrain
9mm, .45 and .308 ammo will be worth it's weight in gold if that time where you think gold would come in handy ever comes.

Yea also been thinking about that as well. Would guns and ammo be a better investment? I think it would be. Myself and family members and community could use those arms if needed. Could barter with them as well. I’m not looking to invest in precious metals for financial growth or security. I’m kind of on a different mind of thinking than gold/silver investors.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/31/22 08:06 PM

Yea also been thinking about that as well. Would guns and ammo be a better investment? I think it would be. Myself and family members and community could use those arms if needed. Could barter with them as well. I’m not looking to invest in precious metals for financial growth or security. I’m kind of on a different mind of thinking than gold/silver investors.

I've been a coin collector since about age 6, and believe firmly in accumulating gold & silver as well. Historically, most countries revalue/replace their currency every so often. England switched from the pound sterling (shillings and florins) to the decimal pound in 1971. Mexico switched from the old peso to the 'peso nuevo' in the 1990's, at an exchange rate of $1,000 old pesos buying N$10 new pesos. I could go on, but the point is that these currency changes almost always result in a massive loss of buying power for the average person WITHOUT any kind of situation where ammo is necessary to use. The US did something similar in 1933 when FDR called in private ownership of gold at a value of approx $21/ounce and then revalued it at $35 per ounce. Americans lost a massive amount of their purchasing power by fiat.

We could have a repeat of 1933 - a peaceful revaluation of the currency that results in massive losses for all of us, without any kind of shooting going on. Gold & silver would be handy to own then, as their intrinsic value would most likely keep pace with the change in currency. Of course, there's no guarantee that the US government wouldn't once again ban private ownership of gold ... but you can't be ready for every single scenario.

Sorry, will get off my soapbox now.
Posted By: VigoPark

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/31/22 11:11 PM

Texas precious metals.

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 07/31/22 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek

I've been a coin collector since about age 6, and believe firmly in accumulating gold & silver as well. Historically, most countries revalue/replace their currency every so often. England switched from the pound sterling (shillings and florins) to the decimal pound in 1971. Mexico switched from the old peso to the 'peso nuevo' in the 1990's, at an exchange rate of $1,000 old pesos buying N$10 new pesos. I could go on, but the point is that these currency changes almost always result in a massive loss of buying power for the average person WITHOUT any kind of situation where ammo is necessary to use. The US did something similar in 1933 when FDR called in private ownership of gold at a value of approx $21/ounce and then revalued it at $35 per ounce. Americans lost a massive amount of their purchasing power by fiat.

We could have a repeat of 1933 - a peaceful revaluation of the currency that results in massive losses for all of us, without any kind of shooting going on. Gold & silver would be handy to own then, as their intrinsic value would most likely keep pace with the change in currency. Of course, there's no guarantee that the US government wouldn't once again ban private ownership of gold ... but you can't be ready for every single scenario.

Sorry, will get off my soapbox now.

Down side with fdr was govt deemed private citizen ownership of gold a criminal act and bought back all surrendered for the 21 and as soon as they felt comfortable the govt had all it was going to get they falsely raised the price to 35 and made it impossible for mere citizens to cash out what they may have kept as it would be reported and charges pursued.
I don’t see people giving it up as easy again, but could happen.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 08/01/22 12:03 AM

I don't
Posted By: Labman

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 10/01/22 05:13 PM

I just stumbled over this thread. Bold Precious Metals out of Austin, TX smokes all the above PM dealers on price.
https://www.boldpreciousmetals.com
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Where to do you guys buy your gold/silver? - 10/01/22 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Labman
I just stumbled over this thread. Bold Precious Metals out of Austin, TX smokes all the above PM dealers on price.
https://www.boldpreciousmetals.com

Only problem is they don’t have much inventory. Not any 1oz Gold Eagles in inventory.
Like others they seem to have no name /generic products.
Physical is drying up everywhere.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum