Texas Hunting Forum

Conserving fuel

Posted By: reeltexan

Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 12:52 PM

Money is not an issue but we resent how these high fuel prices were forced on us by Biden.

We have begun limiting trips in our vehicles, consolidating where possible and using the car more, which gets much better MPG than the truck.

Traffic seems lighter lately.

Same at the grocery store. If the price is ridiculous, leave it on the shelf.

As Cruz said, this entire situation is self-inflicted.
Americans should take a stand.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 01:02 PM

Traffic is better because school is out.

Other than that I’m a tight square head your doing what I e done my whole life.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Money is not an issue but we resent how these high fuel prices were forced on us by Biden.

We have begun limiting trips in our vehicles, consolidating where possible and using the car more, which gets much better MPG than the truck.

I think anyone with any sense is doing the same thing. I have told my wife several times that there is less traffic on the road than normal. Got back from Cloud Croft 3 weeks ago and fewer RV`s on the road by far. I`ve even notice that there are fewer boats headed to the lakes to.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Traffic is better because school is out.

Yep, the usual summer traffic around here.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 01:18 PM

Traffic in town (Glen Rose) dropped way off. IMO it's a combo of fuel prices, heat and the river stopped running. So far the fuel prices haven't slowed down the barrel racers and ropers.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 03:28 PM

I've started driving the wife's Honda when running errands vs my truck. Drops the "per trip" fuel cost by 2/3rds. Crazy that gas prices are high enough that I even have to think about that.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 03:42 PM

I stop and fill up more often than I ever have, 8.5mpg I start looking for gas at 3/4's of a tank I can't see myself putting $100 in it so putting it in a little at a time makes me feel better.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 03:50 PM

Money is absolutely a thing here. This is killing us. The only bright side is I have 3 truck payments and 6 house payments left. My wife drives a Chevy spark. No way we all fit in it.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Money is absolutely a thing here. This is killing us. The only bright side is I have 3 truck payments and 6 house payments left. My wife drives a Chevy spark. No way we all fit in it.

That’s fantastic, 6 house payments !
Posted By: Phlash

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 07:39 PM

I wish the city would let us drive golf carts and atv's on the back streets. I might get out more often in our little town.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 07:47 PM

I’m fishing close to the house these days, not making trips to Fork like I normally like to do.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 08:00 PM

Very happy I get my new to me truck that gets way better than my old one and about the same as my car except on the highway the car does a bit better
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Phlash
I wish the city would let us drive golf carts and atv's on the back streets. I might get out more often in our little town.

I was told if you register it with the state and stay on roads that are posted 35 mph or less its legal
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 08:11 PM

Gotta put the tailgate down. 😂
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by TPACK
Originally Posted by reeltexan

I think anyone with any sense is doing the same thing. I have told my wife several times that there is less traffic on the road than normal. Got back from Cloud Croft 3 weeks ago and fewer RV`s on the road by far. I`ve even notice that there are fewer boats headed to the lakes to.

Drive to Idaho last week, lots of cars on the road and Moab was jam packed full. North of Moab tons of 3/4 ton trucks pulling big wakeboard boats outside of Salt Lake.

Here locally Canyon is Jam packed full of boaters every weekend.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 08:41 PM

We drive the wife jeep a lot more than we drive my truck now.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by rickym

Don’t Jeep’s get pretty cruddy mileage as it is? I’ll never understand why so many people buy them that use them as commuters.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 09:15 PM

Driving 60-65 on hiways, launching at nearest ramp (1 mile), and fishing within 2-3 mi. of the ramp. Trying to keep trips into town or to the gun club at 1-2 per week.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/24/22 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by P_102
Driving 60-65 on hiways, launching at nearest ramp (1 mile), and fishing within 2-3 mi. of the ramp. Trying to keep trips into town or to the gun club at 1-2 per week.

sounds like we might be brothers from another mother
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/25/22 06:21 AM

Those 2 acre ranchette dealers are offering $100 gas cards for a tour now.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/25/22 10:17 AM

My wife thinks about it more than I do. She thinks about everything more than I do. It has to be exhausting. She always says we need to take her car instead of my truck then proceeds to tell me things I can’t do in her car. We take the truck.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/25/22 10:32 AM

Only change for us if only putting 1/2 tank of gas in the truck unless going on a road trip, we drive the wifes car a lot more for the better gas mileage.
Groceries no change here both freezers jammed with all kinds of meats, chicken and fish with most bought on sale.

Speaking of groceries, this coming Wednesday 28th should be some great deals (weekly ad) on a lot of things for the 4th of July weekend up
Posted By: rickym

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/25/22 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by rickym

Don’t Jeep’s get pretty cruddy mileage as it is? I’ll never understand why so many people buy them that use them as commuters.

Hers has the 4cylinder and doesn’t have big tires on it. Cheaper than a 5.7 hemi with 35s
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/25/22 02:47 PM

Battery power.
Posted By: nak

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/25/22 03:08 PM

We are consolidating trips and driving the wife's car more. Less eating out. Adjusting purchases...yet keeping the pantry full.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/25/22 04:21 PM

I only drive the diesel when I need to, been driving the Jeep a lot more now

But id rather drive the Jeep anyway personally
Posted By: Chopped54

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/25/22 08:56 PM

Dont put much thought into it till I have to put diesel in the truck.We typically drove the Tesla majority of the time anyway....
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Conserving fuel - 06/25/22 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
I’m fishing close to the house these days, not making trips to Fork like I normally like to do.

I have not fished Fork simply because the lake is down 6'. I try to limit my trips to Rockwall as much as possible. Sometimes it is tough since I am retired and have some time on my hands. I put 60 gallons of gas in the boat in February. First time it has ever had a full 95 gallons in it. It will last me through summer and fall. I have thought about fishing Hubbard more but hate the docks at the ramps I use. I have a gouge in my rub rail from the last trip to Hubbard. Tawakoni is only another 2 gallons of gas from the house and my preferred lake.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum