Texas Hunting Forum

Market Loses

Posted By: glens

Market Loses - 06/17/22 11:55 PM

Has your IRA or 401K lost money since January of this year and are you hanging on to this downward Train Wreck? If so are you looking for a Building to jump off of. [Linked Image]
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 12:03 AM

All my Pot Stocks went up in smoke, AKA: Lost my azz.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 12:06 AM

There were plenty of warnings last year that this was coming. I moved almost all my TSP into the G Fund in Dec. Still have (had) about $20K in play but won't ever touch it...hopefully.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 12:15 AM

Typical “ebbs & flows”. Definitely sucked this year under our worthless “leader” but it shall return when that clown is gone.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 12:15 AM

This hurts, especially since financials and earnings have been strong

[Linked Image]
Posted By: freerange

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 12:34 AM

Ive got some in the market but Ive got more out. I cant decide if I want it to go up or down. Ill put more in eventually then Ill be forever rooting for the up. Im not complaining.

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 01:00 AM

. Was in several Mutaual Funds and all going down with an Occasional uptick since first of year. Think more Down to come.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 01:06 AM

We have a while before bottom.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
We have a while before bottom.

I don’t have a crystal ball like you, but I feel the same way. I’m actually gambling on it.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 01:17 AM

Since the first of the year I have been staying 35% to 50% cash adding to etfs on the dips and trimming on the rallies. I'll keep chipping away at it taking little 2% to 5% profits on deployed cash until we hit a crash and I end up buying all the way down. Or until the market recovers some day. I do have a friend who this year gave all his wealth to Fisher to manage. It is sad what they did with his retirement. The biggest holding they put him in was Netflix. I sure hope he don't jump. bang
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 01:26 AM

I made money under Trump

And like magic, I’m losing it under the senile guy
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 01:31 AM

The only common stock I have is WP Carey. It went up today.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 01:50 AM

I got out of the market in late December. I am looking for a spot to start buying back in
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 01:53 AM

Not looking for a building yet, but one investment account is down18% since potato head took over, 16% since 1/22. I required a knee replacement 6/1 so I must refer away earning opportunities. Definitely hold cards close to vest.

On a positive note, only lost $175 today!

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 01:55 AM

I’d wait, I think we have a ways to fall

As in a next election and part of that term

Senile guy, is well..senile

Woke, going green, week A thoughts don’t make money but sounds good to some

Short, fat, purple haired people ideology turns out to not be a real financial making opportunity lol

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 02:00 AM

When the short, fat people with purple hair folks lost, cities burned.

When they won, the stock market crashed.

I’ve said too much.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 03:32 AM

lost $34K.

now i'm all in cash.

two - three years ill make it back
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 03:37 AM

I am heavy in pipeline and oil. This is the only reason I am up this year. I dumped everything NASDQ at the beginning of the year and retail several months ago. Only mistake was not getting out of Tesla sooner. I am down from the high but still up for year.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 04:35 AM

Holding cash on the sidelines.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by angus1956

So you are losing 10% a year.

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sewer rat

A bird in my hand. I'm 66 and time isn't on my side. When right I'll be back in.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 12:10 PM

Better than losing 30-40% like folks are doing right now. I’m all cash too now. I saw the writing on the wall and pulled everything at a high point.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 12:17 PM

Ever heard of a card game called Holdum? confused2
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Better than losing 30-40% like folks are doing right now. I’m all cash too now. I saw the writing on the wall and pulled everything at a high point.

I've heard more than one analyst refer to the depreciation on cash as like the cost of a Put Option. You lose a little to be ready to pounce.

At times like these margin calls force some to sell everything they have with no other option. If they don't sell their brokerage will do it for them. I never have a margin account.

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 01:38 PM

In these time if your making 10% per year you need to share your number with everyone here. Happy for you.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 01:56 PM

My one dividend stock is down, but the dividend has remained unchanged. Got a big chunk in bonds and the only stock I'm buying is Apple. I had a buy order at $135 executed this week. My next buy order is $120. Apple is one of the few stocks I trust to rebound the quickest.

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 07:56 PM

In these time if your making 10% per year you need to share your number with everyone here. Happy for you.

Yeah most would like to jump on board with that 10% . Sold everything Wednesday at close and if I would have stayed in until close yesterday (Friday) would have lost another $15,000 grand from Wednesday in our so called managed/ watched investments. Need to start watching as this is the third time in 20 years We've taken a bath on low risk ETF's/Mutual Funds. Will fire this one and find another Firm next week. flame
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 08:20 PM

Glens, didn't you sell at the low point when COVID hit too? It's only a loss on paper until you lock it in by selling.....

I will also say this....no one will watch your money like you do. Those "money managers" or "advisors" get paid no matter what your account does.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 08:41 PM

What about reit’s? They should be solid but maybe not for long. Self storage units have been boomin as well as rental multi family

Re: Market Loses - 06/18/22 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by glens

Yeah most would like to jump on board with that 10% . Sold everything Wednesday at close and if I would have stayed in until close yesterday (Friday) would have lost another $15,000 grand from Wednesday in our so called managed/ watched investments. Need to start watching as this is the third time in 20 years We've taken a bath on low risk ETF's/Mutual Funds. Will fire this one and find another Firm next week. flame

Wednesday was a good opportunity if you wanted out. It was obvious to me that little rally after the fed meeting would not hold up. I was taking profit on all my trades going into close Wednesday, but I also started buying them back 2% to 5% cheaper going into close on Thursday. nidea

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 12:33 AM

A lot has been written lately about market liquidity. Just call it buyers. When you want to sell something there has to be a buyer. There has always been a buyer for a security you want to sell....right?

Mortgage Backed Securities have always been very very liquid, until one day recently. If and when a cascade of selling starts the same thing could happen with whatever you have to sell.

https://notoriousrob.com/2022/06/finally-no-bid-on-mbs/
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 02:48 AM

Last week I was ready to put some of my cash to work and buy some more DVN. I am glad I didn't. Now I am looking to lock in the profits I have in oil stocks.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 06:48 AM

What are you doing and firing folks for? You expect them to time the market perfectly for you? You will never find that exact match. It's going to go back up you know.
Posted By: don k

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 11:33 AM

If you don't sell you don't loose. The market will come back and then you will wish you had kept.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by don k
If you don't sell you don't loose. The market will come back and then you will wish you had kept.

Exactly. Some guys spend a ton of their life watching this stuff. If it's your passion, well, it's good to have a hobby. I try not to look at our stuff very often. I trust and rely on our financial guy and his firm. He'll call and say "We've got a problem," if there's a problem. I haven't received that call in 20 years.

'Never met anyone that "hit it big" doing their own thing. I remember back in the "day trader" days. Lots of guys stealing time from their employer, messing with that BS. They were all gonna be rich.

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by DocHorton
Glens, didn't you sell at the low point when COVID hit too? It's only a loss on paper until you lock it in by selling.....

I will also say this....no one will watch your money like you do. Those "money managers" or "advisors" get paid no matter what your account does.

No Doc fired Schwab and took a pounding then and I moved to another firm. (US Capital Advisors). My problem is I never even glance at it. Our's is low risk investments with a ("you call me if portfolio drops 10%") agreement and I didn't watch it this time either. Down a ton since January. Moved all to cash (Wednnesday at close) or short term T Bills until this straightens out. When I get back in, will check it often and with another firm.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Poppa
What about reit’s? They should be solid but maybe not for long. Self storage units have been boomin as well as rental multi family

We bought a dump of a house in a nice little east Texas town. Word has spread that we are rehabbing it for a LTR. I’m setting the price now at $1800 a month for a 1300sqft 3/2. People are chomping at the bit and we are hoping to have it up and running by mid September
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 04:53 PM

No Doc fired Schwab and took a pounding then and I moved to another firm. (US Capital Advisors). My problem is I never even glance at it. Our's is low risk investments with a ("you call me if portfolio drops 10%") agreement and I didn't watch it this time either. Down a ton since January. Moved all to cash (Wednnesday at close) or short term T Bills until this straightens out. When I get back in, will check it often and with another firm.

Since you went all cash just now you are gambling the market will drop and you will get back in at the bottom. That is market timing. Good luck.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 05:03 PM

All funds sitting on the side for now. Made the switch about 6 weeks ago. Had talked with a large financial institution about staying in with a lot of diversifications. They gave me their recommendations of which I checked a few days later. All had a loss for that day, nobody watches your funds as much as you do.

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman

Since you went all cash just now you are gambling the market will drop and you will get back in at the bottom. That is market timing. Good luck.

For what has been going on this year I see a bigger picture.
I might be wrong on a point or two in how I present it and I had to look up a couple figures, but my basic understanding before 2022 the Fed had accumulated almost 9 trillion in assets buying 120 billion of the bond market monthly. In December the Fed started tapering those purchases and at some point in 2022 would start reducing those assets as they reach maturity. Which started in March and will accelerate in Sept. Then you also know early in 2022 the Fed is going to start raising interest rates. And they did start. 50 points last month, 75 this month. Then too we have a significant adult population that is experiencing problems from inflation for the first time in their lives. Though the Fed policy is trying to curb or slow it, history has shown it can't stop it and could even make it worse. We also know from past history that oil prices have a direct influence on inflation and our current govt is anti fossil fuel. Not to mention Russia a major producer of same had amassed an army on the border of Ukraine at the time.

At the first of the year, the market had just come off somewhere near it's all time high probably due to a start back to normal from covid. You can't predict a market bottom, but If anyone was paying attention and doing any research on how the above events would impact the market, they could have predicted which direction the market was going to go the first half of 2022. No doubt, no speculation. Even with the obvious I regret due to the can't time the market mentality that is drilled into all of us, I think I only moved 1/3rd into cash after selling and rebalancing in early January, but at least most of what I sold was big tech stuff.
Posted By: Remo

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 09:20 PM

Betting the bottom is lower, been moving the last of a few items into cash over the past few months, but still have a shrinking IRA I need to move to self-directed. Right now it seems like having a kick-[censored] electric generator would be a better investment than a lot of things.
Interesting watching how gold and silver behave in dollar price the past few years. Those prices never do what I would think, making me reticent to move more bigly into metals. They look manipulated on their face, even to a $ moron like me.
I'm very wary 'cause right out of college I had a job in financial service and contacts at Bernard Madoff and man, don't let anyone tell you what they were doing wasn't obvious to anyone paying attention, even the clients.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 10:01 PM

Here is my advice (especially to the younger folks who are a ways from retirement)

I decided years ago that I did not want to spend my retirement counting on having to make 6-10% or more with market exposure so as to not run out of money before wife and I die. So I invested in good mutual funds during my accumulation days but even more important than that is I saved a good percentage of my income over all those years and did not touch it. I religiously saved. Then when I hit my early 60's I had enough that I could provide a good income without being heavy into the market. Currently I am 90% in a fixed 3.5% return account and 10% in conservative mutual funds.

I wanted to be in a position that when I retired I did not have to put my money at risk but rather accept lower returns but have little or no risk. It has worked out pretty well.

(the 3.5% guaranteed fixed return is from my 401K plan and several fixed annuities I bought)
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Market Loses - 06/19/22 11:51 PM

Fear and greed are an interesting irony to observe……just like this thread shows…..people let fear drive them to sell at the worst time and greed sees them buy at the all time highs when they should go to cash……and move to cash when they should be buying……this is why most investors return suck compared to passive index investing……hammer
Posted By: tlk

Re: Market Loses - 06/20/22 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Fear and greed are an interesting irony to observe……just like this thread shows…..people let fear drive them to sell at the worst time and greed sees them buy at the all time highs when they should go to cash……and move to cash when they should be buying……this is why most investors return suck compared to passive index investing……hammer

Yep
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Market Loses - 06/20/22 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by don k

Exactly. Some guys spend a ton of their life watching this stuff. If it's your passion, well, it's good to have a hobby. I try not to look at our stuff very often. I trust and rely on our financial guy and his firm. He'll call and say "We've got a problem," if there's a problem. I haven't received that call in 20 years.

'Never met anyone that "hit it big" doing their own thing. I remember back in the "day trader" days. Lots of guys stealing time from their employer, messing with that BS. They were all gonna be rich.

up

Very well stated.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Market Loses - 06/20/22 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig

We bought a dump of a house in a nice little east Texas town. Word has spread that we are rehabbing it for a LTR. I’m setting the price now at $1800 a month for a 1300sqft 3/2. People are chomping at the bit and we are hoping to have it up and running by mid September

up
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Market Loses - 06/20/22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig

up

right on!

Re: Market Loses - 06/20/22 06:19 PM

This is not a one upper thread.

True on timing/gambling but after looking at portfolio 2 weeks ago (($133,000 down since January 1st.) . I'm retired and drawing off account monthly. Never have but I will watch it in the next Rodeo. Been burnt 2 times since I've been retired (10 years) with no calls. Talk every month or two with Capital but they tell me evrything is moving along nicely.

dead_horse

Re: Market Loses - 06/20/22 10:51 PM

This is not a one upper thread.

True on timing/gambling but after looking at portfolio 2 weeks ago (($133,000 down since January 1st.) . I'm retired and drawing off account monthly. Never have but I will watch it in the next Rodeo. Been burnt 2 times since I've been retired (10 years) with no calls. Talk every month or two with Capital but they tell me evrything is moving along nicely.

dead_horse

Was his nose growing when he told you that?
Posted By: Donpilot

Re: Market Loses - 06/21/22 02:01 AM

Stock market is down just a little since B took office. We have lost16 months of gains.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Market Loses - 06/23/22 06:59 PM

Sure feels like we are in for a dip tomorrow and into next week.

Re: Market Loses - 06/23/22 07:39 PM

Take a look at commodities, that were supposed to be in a super cycle. Maybe they are just taking a breather.

https://www.investing.com/commodities/real-time-futures
Posted By: TLew

Re: Market Loses - 06/23/22 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DannyB
Take a look at commodities, that were supposed to be in a super cycle. Maybe they are just taking a breather.

https://www.investing.com/commodities/real-time-futures

Supply hasn't changed for many of those commodities, so I wonder if it's because they are projecting lower demand with a recession. If that's the case, equities would follow too

Re: Market Loses - 06/23/22 10:41 PM

Not one to jump off a roof, If you're younger Invest in the Market, it will grow in the long hall. If Older and Retired , in the Twilight of your Life ( around 70 and older), drawing off a IRA with your Portfolio,, watch your Azz! It doesn't cost to move to Cash if you have it Invested right. No need to lie awake at night, worry and watch Biden's Bunch destroy the Economy. After The Election in November And Repubs take control of Congress, Hopefully, it will rise.
violin
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Market Loses - 06/23/22 11:08 PM

Good advice from glens, I might add all financial institutions are not the same. Very important to be aware of their expense ratio.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum