Texas Hunting Forum

AC opinion.

Posted By: Roll-Tide

AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:09 AM

I know it was 102 today. Couldn’t really get my home cooler than 79.

Thoughts on how to lower temp? I probably need to clean the condenser. Wash it out real good.

Anything else.
Posted By: HoneyBeez

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:11 AM

I have good windows but a few doors still suck. House was blacked out today it is was not struggling keeping it at 72 and the kids have a portable AC unit in their room and they are a solid 72 at all times.
Posted By: DukeCigars

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:12 AM

Check the coil and clear it out too
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:16 AM

What's going on in your attic? Is it well insulated?
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:19 AM

I added solar screens to the windows on the south and west side of the house, they sure helped.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

This. My attic is spray foamed - I had to go up there today around 3 and it was probably around 78 up there. House was 73 and my unit didn’t struggle too much.

But I think you have other problems too.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:22 AM

It’s the same insulation that was put in the house 20 years ago when we built it.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide

It’s the same insulation that was put in the house 20 years ago when we built it.

I think we found your problem! We had extra insulation blown in ours some years ago and it made a huge difference.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
I added solar screens to the windows on the south and west side of the house, they sure helped.

My home was built in 2001, we added insulation but, the solar screens made a huge difference

Like you said, cleaner the condenser coils should help
Posted By: Poppa

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:38 AM

clean/rinse the condenser, clean blower wheel, replace air filter and ventilate attic. mite be time for new system put yur spurs on cus its gonna be pricey if even available

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:42 AM

I just went and looked at the condenser. It looks pretty dirty. I will try to clean it tomorrow.

Hopefully I will be outta this house in a couple years. So don’t want to put to much into it.
Posted By: GNTX

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 03:17 AM

I just went and looked at the condenser. It looks pretty dirty. I will try to clean it tomorrow.

Hopefully I will be outta this house in a couple years. So don’t want to put to much into it.

The inside coil is the evaporator coil. Outside coil is the condenser. Need to clean both of them. There is a coil cleaning spray you can buy at the big box stores. Roughly 35 degrees below ambient temp is typical AC performance.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 04:00 AM

Also, make certain you have at least 3 feet of clear space on 3 sides of outside condenser. Also, could just be low on refrigerant. We kept ours at 72 today, but replaced the outside and inside units in August 2020.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 04:02 AM

Do you have a fireplace? Have you closed the damper? May also check the weatherstripping around the doors. Oh, and yet to keep the interior doors open. Found it was a lot harder to cool the lake house if the bedroom doors and hallway doors were shut.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 04:39 AM

Let me preface, I don’t know much about AC units. But was just looking around, this sounded like a good deal. All the reviews were 5 stars. 10 year warranty and free shipping. I would just have to pay someone to install it.

I don’t think I need a new unit. But if I did, this would be worth looking into.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 11:41 AM

Let me preface, I don’t know much about AC units. But was just looking around, this sounded like a good deal. All the reviews were 5 stars. 10 year warranty and free shipping. I would just have to pay someone to install it.

I don’t think I need a new unit. But if I did, this would be worth looking into.

[Linked Image]

Not familiar with this brand but we replaced both our upstairs and downstairs 5-6 years ago with Tranes from Lennox, originals with house (15+) years and couldnt' be happier with the Tranes. Think ours are both 4 ton capacities, 14/16 Seer. Remember what they often say, "Nothing can stop a Trane".....
Posted By: pertnear

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 12:27 PM

[Linked Image]

I'm not an A/C expert but 14 SEER is the bottom of efficiency standards. I think that is the minimum SEER standard for MFG's now.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 12:33 PM

I just had two 18 seer, dc drive, variable speed, split zoned American Standard(Trane) put in at the Farm house. Whisper quiet, very efficient and I can cool the areas of the house we are using while isolating the areas we are not using.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 12:36 PM

As a first step, I’d have more insulation blown into the attic. I was having problems keeping my barn workshop/apartment cool a few summers ago. Even new window units didn’t fix the problem, so finally I had the insulation blown in the attic. The original insulation had settled, and there were gaps that had almost no insulation. That solved the problem.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 01:03 PM

SEER. Standard Established Energy Required.
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:28 PM

Thoughts on how to lower temp? I probably need to clean the condenser. Wash it out real good.

Anything else.

I'm not a AC guy but from what I've been told, if your AC is the proper size, it will not cool your house more than 20 degrees less than the outside temp.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:53 PM

I headed to Lowe’s this morning. Got some cleaner and sprayed it. Waited 10 minutes and washed it thoroughly.

Big unit is done. About to do smaller unit.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 02:55 PM

Embarrassing to post this.
My regular AC guy fell off a ladder a couple years ago. Looks pretty bad. I vacuumed out and trimmed bushes a little. Will trim more.

[Linked Image]

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 03:09 PM

Besides being dirty, that thing may be close to its last legs. For sure need to trim up that bush in addition to cleaning. Bush is blocking some of your airflow and hazard to put some branches into it or at least leaves.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Besides being dirty, that thing may be close to its last legs. For sure need to trim up that bush in addition to cleaning. Bush is blocking some of your airflow and hazard to put some branches into it or at least leaves.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 03:29 PM

I hope to only be in this house 3 more years max. Then it can by some Californians problem.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
SEER. Standard Established Energy Required.

Nope

Seasonal efficiency Energy Ratio
Posted By: pdr55

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 04:33 PM

You know that the outside unit needs to be sprayed from the inside right?
Of course this is after you trim the jungle out of the way.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 04:47 PM

Yes. I sprayed the cleaning foam on inside and pushed all dirt out with a hose.

I will continue jungle removal after the ground dries a little.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 04:59 PM

It’s not the dirtiest I have seen by a long shot but is dirty. The next time you can use a pump up sprayer with some dawn liquid soap in it mixed 2 to 1 with water.

On the bushes don’t worry to much about the branches hanging over the condenser unless one looks like it is going to fall on the unit. What you are most concerned about is getting air flow through the condenser.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sidebuster

Anything else.

I'm not a AC guy but from what I've been told, if your AC is the proper size, it will not cool your house more than 20 degrees less than the outside temp.

I always call bs on this......if this was the case....everyone's homes would be 80+ degrees in texas today. Not the case by far.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Not familiar with this brand but we replaced both our upstairs and downstairs 5-6 years ago with Tranes from Lennox, originals with house (15+) years and couldnt' be happier with the Tranes. Think ours are both 4 ton capacities, 14/16 Seer. Remember what they often say, "Nothing can stop a Trane".....

And made right here in Texas (Tyler). Mine were made the month before I had them installed.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 06:09 PM

Embarrassing to post this.
My regular AC guy fell off a ladder a couple years ago. Looks pretty bad. I vacuumed out and trimmed bushes a little. Will trim more.
[Linked Image]

well no wonder - that certainly would have reduced capacity! What does the inside filter look like?
Posted By: nak

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 06:17 PM

With a good thermometer (not a contactless IR one) measure the air temp going into you return air filter. Then measure the air temp coming out the the grill closest to the inside unit (shortest duct) and the temp at the furthest room from the unit.

If the temp diff between the return air filter and the closest grill is more than 15 degrees, the unit is doing fair. If its 18 - 20 degrees, you are doing good. Over 20 degrees and you do not have enough airflow through the system.

IF there is frost on the big line at the outside compressor, call the AC guy, you need refrigerant

Looking at the temp at the closest and distant grills, if the temp difference is more than a degree or two, you are loosing cooling in the attic, by a) too high attic temp b) lack of insulation on the ducts.

Go up in the attic and just feel around the unit and duct works for cold air. Over time, its amazing how poor tape jobs and little holes turn into major leads of cold air. Visually look and listen around the suction side, to make sure hot attic air is not being sucked in

An bad days that reallllly suck with high temp...If the outside humidly is not crazy high, mist the condenser coil . (Do not do this very often, you can build up hard water deposits on the coils.)

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 06:22 PM

Anything else.

Think that applies to RV's.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 06:31 PM

Looks a little better. Not so jungly. I took out middle cleyera shrub. Which are pretty hood bushes.

[Linked Image]

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 06:31 PM

I’m gonna cover with some decomposed granite.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 06:59 PM

Question is.. does it work better now? Can it keep up?

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 07:41 PM

Not really. it’s 79 in here. Feels cooler than yesterday.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by topwater13

Anything else.

I always call bs on this......if this was the case....everyone's homes would be 80+ degrees in texas today. Not the case by far.

I think this is just rhetoric that home warranty companies use to get out of AC service requests.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 07:53 PM

You got some things mixed up - there should be about a 20° differential between the intake grille temp and output grille temp , on the INSIDE of the house, if everything is functioning to spec. (not the outside temp)

However, the performance capacity/btu's of the system can become insufficient (caused by dirty/blocked condenser coil, low freon, clogged inside filter or coil) or cooling capacity exceeded ( duct leaks, open windows/leaks, severe weather extremes ) and especially by combination of the two issues, causing inside temps to rise or not able to keep up.

Also, higher-SEER systems usually have larger outdoor condenser-coils and at temperature extremes can maintain capacity much better than builder-grade/minimum seer or ancient systems.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 08:47 PM

I did get my azz in the attic. Had a large duct not connected. Just cooling the attic.

See if that helps.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 08:59 PM

can't hurt
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 09:03 PM

I did get my azz in the attic. Had a large duct not connected. Just cooling the attic.

See if that helps.

Dude….
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 09:23 PM

See if that helps.

Sounds like you found the smokin gun.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

See if that helps.

Dude….

It does happen.
Let the cooling begin!

Re: AC opinion. - 06/13/22 10:07 PM

See if that helps.

This and the needed cleaning should get you into a better place.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/14/22 01:39 AM

See if that helps.

This and the needed cleaning should get you into a better place.

While in attic did you happen to see if any of your ducts besides the one not connected were having airflow or intensity of airflow diverted from certain rooms to others? This can make a difference as well on certain rooms cooling better than others.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/14/22 02:59 AM

See if that helps.

Glad you found that - yep, that will make a world of difference, and you should be golden now with clean coil too!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: AC opinion. - 06/14/22 03:23 AM

See if that helps.

Well, at least it wasn’t sweltering while you were up there. eek2

Re: AC opinion. - 06/14/22 05:47 PM

On that 20 degree thing. After much YouTube. A guy explained. 20 degrees should be from the intake inside your home to vents coming out. So if your house inside is 82, the air coming out could be no more than 62.

As a rule of thumb. He said it is usually around 15 degrees.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: AC opinion. - 06/14/22 05:56 PM

On that 20 degree thing. After much YouTube. A guy explained. 20 degrees should be from the intake inside your home to vents coming out. So if your house inside is 82, the air coming out could be no more than 62.

So your unit is cooling now that you found the open duct?

Re: AC opinion. - 06/14/22 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

So your unit is cooling now that you found the open duct?

Upstairs is much better. Got into 60s last night.
Air is coming out at 64 degrees upstairs.

Downstairs it’s coming out at 70. I think that’s the problem. Need to get some r22, possibly.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: AC opinion. - 06/14/22 07:13 PM

Knocking on wood and probably jinxing myself but My Lennox which came with my house (11 years old) is still getting it done. I have never had it serviced re; hose off, add refringent, etc. I'm afraid to now. I just know if I have someone come check it, for sure it will quit that night.

All I do is change the filter every month.

How do you know what size AC Unit you need? My next one, I want the Biggest possible then get the next one bigger. I like to hang meat in my house.

In this HOT weather, I keep thermostat on 68* it gets up to 72*-74* near my northwest facing windows in the afternoon. Sun hits them. I need solar screens added.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: AC opinion. - 06/14/22 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Knocking on wood and probably jinxing myself but My Lennox which came with my house (11 years old) is still getting it done. I have never had it serviced re; hose off, add refringent, etc. I'm afraid to now. I just know if I have someone come check it, for sure it will quit that night.

All I do is change the filter every month.

How do you know what size AC Unit you need? My next one, I want the Biggest possible then get the next one bigger. I like to hang meat in my house.

In this HOT weather, I keep thermostat on 68* it gets up to 72*-74* near my northwest facing windows in the afternoon. Sun hits them. I need solar screens added.

Be careful going too oversized. I have one 3.5 ton unit that serves just the master bed and bath. No clue why that was installed. It can definitely cool things down in a hurry, but because it doesn't run for long, it doesn't have a chance to really get the humidity out of the room. We run a dedicated de-humidifier in there constantly to keep it comfortable.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/14/22 07:18 PM

I don’t know how much the size matters. My father in law insisted on a 5 ton unit for his small house. The AC guy warned against it. It kicks on for 2 minutes, then is off for 5. lol

After all you YouTube, seems insulation is very important, windows too.

Saw several that drill 4 inch circles in drywall and fill in with blow in insulation.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/14/22 08:16 PM

The tonage that is required is determined by the square footage, windows, and insulation. Generally a manual J is done to determine if hat is needed when a building is built. However this can change over time if more insulation or window are changed. Going over in tonage is not good and generally will be worst for the area that it is cooling.

Once a unit is installed and charged it should not need refrigerant as the refrigerant is not a commodity like gas in your vehicle that is used and needs to be replaced. However like everything things happen and leaks are made due to rubbing, vibration, or brazes failing.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: AC opinion. - 06/14/22 11:42 PM

Echoing Lahota with a true story.
Guy insisted he wanted move up in size. I suggested solar screens, and some modifications to existing duct work. He refused to listen, you cant stick a 5 ton system on 3.5 duct sytem, etc.

2 years later, he ask me about cleaning mold from supply grills and finding solar screens because his bills were so high
Posted By: Donpilot

Re: AC opinion. - 06/15/22 12:28 AM

If it looks dirty, it is filthy. Pull the disconnect by the unit, and back flush with a garden hose.
Posted By: 20bore

Re: AC opinion. - 06/15/22 07:19 PM

So what are some good solar screens?
Posted By: Gary Olson

Re: AC opinion. - 06/15/22 08:53 PM

Radiant shield was the first thing I installed in the attic of the Texas house. Instant 20 degree temp drop in the temperature of the attic door, ceilings and walls upstairs. The AC finally shut off. Home Depot/Lowes has small sheets for sale; get the sheets which roll out.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 12:23 AM

The man came today. Needed 9 pounds of Freon, between 2 units. 90/pound. 800 bucks.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 12:40 AM

The man came today. Needed 9 pounds of Freon, between 2 units. 90/pound. 800 bucks.

Did he have a reason for the freon loss?

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 12:52 AM

I think he said evaporator coil.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 01:00 AM

Damn when I had to get Freon back in May it was $45/lb.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 01:03 AM

I think he said evaporator coil.

Leak?

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

Do you have R22? I saw it for 60/pound on Craigslist

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 03:10 AM

Closed systems should not require freon, must have a leak in system. Could be matter of time before system fails..

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 03:58 AM

Do you have R22? I saw it for 60/pound on Craigslist

The price of refrigerant will vary from the type of refrigerant and from company to company. The price can be influenced from how the company bought the refrigerant by the pallet or by the drum, wether the company is small or large, how much they used on a job, or just what they want to charge.

The last I checked we are charging $60 lb for R22 and $35 lb for 410A.

The 9 lbs is a good amount used and I wold bet that the leaks are in the evaporator coils as well. The leaks will not get any better and will only get larger as time goes on. If you are planning to be out of the house in three years if you don’t replace them by then plan to give some money to the buyers to replace the units.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 05:28 AM

He did tell me 11k for replacement of the 5 ton. He said that the entire unit needed replacement. I said the gas heat in the attic was fine, he said it wouldn’t work with a non r22 AC unit They had to be compatible. And they don’t make R22 units anymore.

If I was gonna stay here, it would be a no brainer to get a quality system.

I will keep my eyes open for a good deal.

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 11:28 AM

He did tell me 11k for replacement of the 5 ton. He said that the entire unit needed replacement. I said the gas heat in the attic was fine, he said it wouldn’t work with a non r22 AC unit They had to be compatible. And they don’t make R22 units anymore.

If I was gonna stay here, it would be a no brainer to get a quality system.

I will keep my eyes open for a good deal.

Yeah, went down a similar path maybe 10 years ago, refilled coolant 1-2 times and within 3 years or so the system was inoperable. You'll buy a couple of years refilling but likely about all.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 12:28 PM

I don’t know how much the size matters. My father in law insisted on a 5 ton unit for his small house. The AC guy warned against it. It kicks on for 2 minutes, then is off for 5. lol

Saw several that drill 4 inch circles in drywall and fill in with blow in insulation.

I read the recommended run time to remove humidity is 15-20 minutes.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan

I read the recommended run time to remove humidity is 15-20 minutes.

Not that simple. It also depends upon the specific target humidity and many other factors. But yes, a good amount of run time is required for latent extraction.

Marc
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: AC opinion. - 06/16/22 01:01 PM

SEER. Standard energy efficiency rating. Pay they now or pay them later.
Posted By: Chopped54

Re: AC opinion. - 06/17/22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by topwater13

Anything else.

Exactly! My house cooled at 70* yesterday and compressor speed never went above 85% so there was more in it.[Linked Image]
© 2022 Texas Hunting Forum