Texas Hunting Forum

Tarantulas

Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Tarantulas - 06/11/22 12:16 AM

We average one or two a month. Outside I let them live, but inside or my garage nope. Anyone else get them?
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 12:17 AM

Haven't see one in a very long time but we do have black widows.

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Haven't see one in a very long time but we do have black widows.

I'd rather have the tarantulas.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 12:33 AM

I've seen one in the 8 years we've had this place.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 12:36 AM

Took this photos a few days ago. The first one I have seen in 2 yrs. around here.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 12:47 AM

Haven't seen one in 50 years! When I was a kid had one crawl out from under the console tv while I was laying in the floor of the living room. I'll never forget that moment...scared me!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 12:51 AM

Have not seen one in forever, it would get a pass from me even if it was in the house!
Posted By: nak

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 01:16 AM

My daughter, on the West side of Ft Worth, is complaining about them this year. Their back yard has a bunch of terracing :eeks333 and she was seeing them evening and morning.

I told her I had several types of bug killers that might work, and she was free to give them a try.... but I clearly pointed out the bottle she would definitely be in violation of several laws in using.

She says the big a55 spiders are gone. I'm not sure what she used.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 01:23 AM

We have them out at the ranch.
Posted By: CoyoteHill

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 01:25 AM

I see them all the time here in Odessa on the oil rig location and while walking the lease road every morning. Tarantulas, jack rabbits, doves, even been seeing horny toads....
Posted By: Sailor

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Stub
Have not seen one in forever, it would get a pass from me even if it was in the house!

Yep..They all get a pass. They are basically very gentle. It's the young ones, that cop a "tude"
The older, gray haired one's are pretty laid back.
I've been handling them, all my life. And I have never been bitten.
But, you do gotta have some respect..
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 01:34 AM

I see them often at my ranch. I’ve seen as many as 5 in one day near my metal barn.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 01:49 AM

I remember when I was in the Permian and there would be a quick summer flash flood those things would come crawling out of the ground like in a movie. Pretty cool to witness
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 01:56 AM

They make great bass baits. They dance around on top of the water.

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
They make great bass baits. They dance around on top of the water.

Your ROI sucks... 2cents
Posted By: JCB

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 02:18 AM

I have only seen a few in my life. Its about the only spider I wont kill. I cant even imagine the mess stomping one of those suckers would make. LOL
Posted By: bagster

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 02:21 AM

Clint Eastwood sure knew how to kill them.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 02:22 AM

I saw literally thousands of them migrating and going across a road up at Eisenhower State Park. I was a kid camping up there and it looked like something out of a scary movie.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 02:37 AM

Haven’t seen one where I live, only saw them at grandpas place. We get black widows, got hit by one years ago under a pool skimmer lid. Was within 5 minutes if a hospital, got treated, and 2 weeks later you wouldn’t know anything happened on my hand. I believe it only hit with one fang though. My finger looked like a ballon for a couple days with lots of puss.
Most spiders get a pass from me, but I kill every BW anytime I see one! I even kill the false ones cause I ain’t takin a chance again.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 02:44 AM

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 02:47 AM

I'll do a "Mexican Hat Dance" on a BW or Brown Recluse... slinger
I got bit by a BR. It took nearly three years to heal..
It bit me right on the face. Between my ear lobe, and chin...
It literally, rotted the side of my face off.
I lost my job. My car. Had to sell my house. Moved in with my parents for two years.
Until I could go out in public, without scaring the crap outta little kids...
Even looking at a pic of one.. Makes me sick, to my stomach.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 02:52 AM

All spiders should die
Posted By: Greg

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 02:57 AM

Damn Sailor, that’s horrible
Posted By: rickym

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sailor
I'll do a "Mexican Hat Dance" on a BW or Brown Recluse... slinger
I got bit by a BR. It took nearly three years to heal..
It bit me right on the face. Between my ear lobe, and chin...
It literally, rotted the side of my face off.
I lost my job. My car. Had to sell my house. Moved in with my parents for two years.
Until I could go out in public, without scaring the crap outta little kids...
Even looking at a pic of one.. Makes me sick, to my stomach.

That sounds awful. I was very fortunate to be where I was when I got hit by a BW. Had I been further or hit by both fangs I’d have likely lost a finger!
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 03:07 AM

Little boogers get a pass but that’s only cuz they don’t sound good when you squish em lol
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 03:17 AM

flame

I'd rather see a rattlesnake than a spider or scorpion

I HATE BUGS
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 03:21 AM

I have seen a few here. I let them go as they eat other bugs.

If my wife saw one in the house we would have to move.

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Greg

You just can't imagine the damage, they can do...
I literally, went around with a dish towel, duct taped to the side of my head, for a year.
Every time, I took even a mildly warm shower, loose tissue would just slide off.
And to make things worse. I couldn't even come close to shaving. I hate to be gross.
But Imagine what I looked like???
But, if you ever see a BR in your house. What ever it cost. Have it nuked... (Twice)
It left a terrible scar, for about two years...
Years later, when I was working for CBS. I knew my face had finally healed...
When I walked through the studio one day, Phillis Diller. (yep, that Phillis Diller).. I know, she ain't known
for being a beauty queen. But, she was sweet to me... ( I wept, at her passing).
She walked up to me, and took my face in her hands. And said, "Your the most beautiful, man I've ever seen"
True story...I swear..
She had no idea, how that made me feel. Nor what I looked like, three years earlier.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack..
But this subject, is very sensitive to me...
Posted By: nak

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 04:36 AM

Tarantula almost killed me back in 2002

I was walking along the edge of a loading doc. Tarantula scampered out from behind a crate. It stopped right in my path and stared at me...I did the natural thing. I kicked at it. Mr Spider jumped up and stuck to my pants leg, just below the knee.

I has some kind of screaming girlie fit and fell off the loading dock, hitting my head on the fender of car parked below me.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 04:50 AM

If it has 8 legs, it dies.

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 06:36 AM

nak, that's funny right there
Yep, when their pissed, they raise up on their hind legs.and can jump..
Time to leave him alone....... banana
But, in all honesty.. he was just defending himself....
And apparently, quite well....LOL.....

copperhead, I do so wish, you would educate yourself a bit more on spiders..
We do truly need them...
No body has more of a reason to hate spiders, than me..
But, my hatred is purely selective...

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sailor
Originally Posted by Greg

You just can't imagine the damage, they can do...
I literally, went around with a dish towel, duct taped to the side of my head, for a year.
Every time, I took even a mildly warm shower, loose tissue would just slide off.
And to make things worse. I couldn't even come close to shaving. I hate to be gross.
But Imagine what I looked like???
But, if you ever see a BR in your house. What ever it cost. Have it nuked... (Twice)
It left a terrible scar, for about two years...
Years later, when I was working for CBS. I knew my face had finally healed...
When I walked through the studio one day, Phillis Diller. (yep, that Phillis Diller).. I know, she ain't known
for being a beauty queen. But, she was sweet to me... ( I wept, at her passing).
She walked up to me, and took my face in her hands. And said, "Your the most beautiful, man I've ever seen"
True story...I swear..
She had no idea, how that made me feel. Nor what I looked like, three years earlier.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack..
But this subject, is very sensitive to me...

I worked with someone who got bit on her leg. It was pretty horrible so I completely understand.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 12:48 PM

Little baby spiders. bang
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 01:05 PM

I missed "why we need them"? enlighten me
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 01:36 PM

Creepy looking critters
Posted By: cm250

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 02:08 PM

Just went out to the barn to feed. Heading back to the house, had one in the yard. First I have seen in the yard for a while…….
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 04:42 PM

My son has a fear of 8 legged things so when I find one of these I like to pick them up and relocate them...he freaks out! They are testy for a bit but they calm down.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 05:13 PM

I have them here on the Rio.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 09:22 PM

They make a big mess when squashed.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Tarantulas - 06/11/22 09:26 PM

There are a ton in Oklahoma. Wife and I went camping near Antlers and saw 3 in the State Park.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Tarantulas - 06/13/22 04:38 PM

Have a Little fun with them. Place one hand behind them and use your other hand to slowly back'um up into your waiting hand. There actually cool critters, even though showing my wife, she disagrees! And yes, I turn them loose when done playing...
Posted By: Kodyjoe2016

Re: Tarantulas - 06/13/22 05:05 PM

See them all the time in front and back yard. Cemetery down the road is full of them I guess. Always run over in the road
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Tarantulas - 06/13/22 05:34 PM

I woke up one morning in my tent after a big rain at Texoma. There was one taking cover on the door under the rain fly. My wife's cousin showed up the next day and he killed it. I was ready to throw him in the lake. I never kill good spiders or good snakes.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Tarantulas - 06/21/22 10:00 AM

My fear of spiders is a phobia, can't help it. On the other hand, snakes do not bother me at all like it does some people.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Tarantulas - 06/21/22 10:38 AM

I see them around the house. This time of year when I’m jogging before dark they get pretty active crossing roads etc. cool critters
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tarantulas - 06/21/22 12:49 PM

We have tarantulas and black widows. I take the kids out to see the tarantulas whenever i see one and let them be. The black widows I spray for in the garage/shop. First birthday party for my son we cleaned out shop and put tables and chairs up, I killed 8 black widows that day.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum