Texas Hunting Forum

$500,000

Posted By: 603Country

$500,000 - 05/25/22 08:13 PM

I just found out from my youngest daughter, who has taken over the finances of her idiot MiL. That the woman’s student loan debt is $500,000. I was stunned. She’s 70 years old and won’t be paying the loan back, unless the powers that be force her to, but they haven’t done so yet.

Apparently she has been able to defer payment, which causes interest to be applied and thereby raising the total. I am not at all knowledgeable about how it works, so am saying what I think I heard from the daughter.

Makes us wonder what the total amount owed nationally could be. Has the media ever shown what the total is? I’m thinking they’d never let that number out.

Let’s just print more money.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 08:19 PM

eek2
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 08:25 PM

Student Loan Debt

Pretty easy to find the information.
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 08:29 PM

Yeesh! I had a professor once who was pursuing another doctorate in his late 60's. He had adopted his grandchildren due to some unfortunate circumstances and had it all planned out that between his loans, that could be deferred while pursuing a degree and then deferred again when his dependents were old enough to be pursuing degrees, he had it planned that he could just defer them until he died. He claimed, which I think is true, that that debt ended with the death of the debtor. Not sure if his was an ethical plan but it was a good one!
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 08:29 PM

I'm not familiar with student loan, but if she passes does that debt pass on to children like other debt or is it wiped clean?
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 08:34 PM

Worth a watch: Borrowed Future
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
I'm not familiar with student loan, but if she passes does that debt pass on to children like other debt or is it wiped clean?

What debts pass from a parent to a child?

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

Doesn't real estate pass from parent to child if a house isn't paid off when the parent passes?

I don't really know as I've never gone through any of this and I don't have anyone in my family that would leave me anything besides debt anyway besides my mom LOL. Even with her it'll probably be a clean slate, no assets to pass on.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 08:51 PM

Yes secured debt passes to the person/estate inheriting it. I.E. the mortgage on a home. The loan on a car. Unsecured debit is what it is.. unsecured.

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 08:58 PM

Doesn't real estate pass from parent to child if a house isn't paid off when the parent passes?

I don't really know as I've never gone through any of this and I don't have anyone in my family that would leave me anything besides debt anyway besides my mom LOL. Even with her it'll probably be a clean slate, no assets to pass on.

Never mind…. What Kershen said.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 08:58 PM

Wow, I feel like an idiot for paying my way through 6 years of under grad and post grad, then getting married and paying down 6 years of under grad and post grad my wife racked up at private universities. Sounds like I could have just deferred and I'd be sitting in a paid off house right now.

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen
Yes secured debt passes to the person/estate inheriting it. I.E. the mortgage on a home. The loan on a car. Unsecured debit is what it is.. unsecured.

Thanks for the clarification up
Posted By: cbump

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by jeepercreeper
Wow, I feel like an idiot for paying my way through 6 years of under grad and post grad, then getting married and paying down 6 years of under grad and post grad my wife racked up at private universities. Sounds like I could have just deferred and I'd be sitting in a paid off house right now.

Yeah you screwed that up. Lol
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 09:37 PM

I paid all of mine back too, on time and with interest. If all of the current student loan debt gets "forgiven" I ain't gonna be a happy camper.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 10:08 PM

If you signed for it you should pay it back. Pretty simple...it's about personal responsibility. Nobody is owed a college education.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 10:26 PM

There is no such thing as "forgiveness" like the Potato wants us to think. It doesn't magically just go away. It unfairly passed that debt on to the taxpayers, many of which could NOT afford to go to college themselves or paid their debt back.

How the F is this even being considered?!?!
Posted By: angus1956

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 10:32 PM

Smart people aren't so smart, let the chips fall.
Sorry your daughter is in the middle of this.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 10:39 PM

Who spends a half mil in a degree? confused2
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

That includes the compounding interest included.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 10:58 PM

Big Bob.. my cousin did at OSU! Got not 1 but 2 useless liberal arts doctorates. Finally left the university a couple years ago and got her first "real" job working for a non-profit and makes less than $40K a year. Those loans will never be paid off.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 11:20 PM

if she is disabled they can have the debt erased, has to be officially declared by the feds ie. social security etc.

You can have your student loans forgiven if you're totally and permanently disabled, meaning unable to earn an income because of a medical or mental impairment that has lasted for at least five years or is expected to result in death.May 3, 2022

https://www.aarp.org/money/credit-loans-debt/info-2022/student-loan-forgiveness-disabilities.html#:~:text=You%20can%20have%20your%20student,expected%20to%20result%20in%20death.

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 11:20 PM

https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/disability-discharge

A total and permanent disability (TPD) discharge relieves you from having to repay a William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program loan, a Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loan, and/or a Federal Perkins Loan or to complete a TEACH Grant service obligation.

In most cases, to qualify for a TPD discharge, you must complete and submit a TPD discharge application, along with documentation showing that you meet our requirements for being considered totally and permanently disabled, to Nelnet, the servicer that assists ED with the TPD discharge process.

Note: Throughout this page, the words "we," "our," and "us" refer to the U.S. Department of Education.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 11:25 PM

Great question

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law

Great question

imo, unless she cosigned the loan it will just go away. it can be willed to the daughter or left as part of the estate but I doubt it is automatic.

they can lien the estate if they find out about her passing.

uncle zeek would be the one to ask.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: $500,000 - 05/25/22 11:36 PM

😳
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 12:18 AM

I’ll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 12:20 AM

That idiot woman isn’t disabled in any way, though you could make the case that she’s mentally dim. I’ve told my daughter that I never again want to be in the room with that idiot - ever.

I could go on and on about that woman, but I’ll spare you. That whole family is a few bricks shy of a load.
Posted By: glens

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 01:05 AM

rofl Idiot's!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 01:15 AM

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 01:35 AM

Big Bob.. my cousin did at OSU! Got not 1 but 2 useless liberal arts doctorates. Finally left the university a couple years ago and got her first "real" job working for a non-profit and makes less than $40K a year. Those loans will never be paid off.

LOL, sounds like my ex wife. 10 yrs of college and racked up $135,000 of tuition that she couldn't pay for a liberal arts degree, then took a job for a non-profit making $40,000/year. I paid off $35,000 of her college debt before she wiped me out. roflmao

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

LOL, sounds like my ex wife. 10 yrs of college and racked up $135,000 of tuition that she couldn't pay for a liberal arts degree, then took a job for a non-profit making $40,000/year. I paid off $35,000 of her college debt before she wiped me out. roflmao

Damn son, how many ex wives do you have?

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 01:41 AM

Damn son, how many ex wives do you have?

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 01:47 AM

Oh lol seems like I’ve heard many many stories about your exes.

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 02:06 AM

Yeh, drunk nights. grin Sorry about that.

Trying to do better. laugh
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 02:10 AM

Sad, its a great school for a real degree.

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 02:14 AM

Na, keep them coming Spencer, just shows how good of a man you are. up cheers

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 03:11 AM

Na, keep them coming Spencer, just shows how good of a man you are. up cheers

Thanks Kyle, but I ain't [censored].

I only care about what my kids think. This sums it up for me.

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 03:22 AM

That’s a good song bud, I feel the same.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by glens

rofl Idiot's!

I will agree with that. If a person doesn't have DDS or MD after their name and spent that much they made a really, really bad decision.

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by DocHorton

rofl Idiot's!

I will agree with that. If a person doesn't have DDS or MD after their name and spent that much they made a really, really bad decision.

Truth

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 03:35 AM

rofl Idiot's!

Truth

Yep DocHorton is my hero rofl

Can I drive your Godzilla?

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 03:45 AM

Lol. I sold it a couple years ago and got something a little different....see the exhaust thread. whistle laugh

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 03:47 AM

Blasphemy!!!
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 03:48 AM

Somewhere out there is a good, fun woman out there for you. My second and I are doing well and having fun. But sometimes I wonder if she didn’t have an undisclosed salvage title. smile ani

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 03:50 AM

Blasphemy!!!

I know, but I put 90k miles on that Nissan...it may have been the highest mileage GT-R in the country, Lol.

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 03:52 AM

Lol. I sold it a couple years ago and got something a little different....see the exhaust thread. whistle laugh

Holy [censored] thought you were just posting a video on the thread. Didn’t know it was yours.

Like I said you’re my hero lol.
Posted By: cbump

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 03:57 AM

Same brother.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by cbump

Same brother.

MFers we do not judge around here...
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by 2Beez
Originally Posted by cbump

Same brother.

MFers we do not judge around here...

Amen

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

Somewhere out there is a good, fun woman out there for you. My second and I are doing well and having fun. But sometimes I wonder if she didn’t have an undisclosed salvage title. smile ani

I have a good/fun Senorita right now, but she has recently started with the nonstop bitching about everything. It's waring me out.

I told her, if you keep bitching about everything I'm going back to Costa Rica. peep grin
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 04:52 AM

You boys leave cousin Skinner alone, we wont be tolerating any negative tongue talk about my kinfolk trout

Only family can do that roflmao

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
You boys leave cousin Skinner alone, we wont be tolerating any negative tongue talk about my kinfolk trout

Only family can do that roflmao

Thanks Uncle Thumper. grin
Posted By: Stub

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

I have a good/fun Senorita right now, but she has recently started with the nonstop bitching about everything. It's waring me out.

I told her, if you keep bitching about everything I'm going back to Costa Rica. peep grin

And trade her in for a newer model with a better exhaust system laugh
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: $500,000 - 05/26/22 12:07 PM

I promise that I will not pay for her. bang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum