Texas Hunting Forum

Chickens and eggs

Posted By: 603Country

Chickens and eggs - 05/15/22 09:35 PM

The neighbor has acquired 2 chickens and a rooster. Somebody gave them to him, saying that he didn’t want them any more. They rarely get any eggs from those two chickens. So, I’m wondering if some chickens just don’t produce. Seems odd that they don’t get eggs.

We have another neighbor who has 13 chickens, and they produce like crazy. They give us a bunch of eggs regularly - 6 dozen this afternoon.

Maybe neighbor A needs to learn ‘chicken things’ from neighbor B.

Is there a feeding trick or something to get chickens to lay eggs?
Posted By: Guy

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/15/22 09:39 PM

I think the trick is to not watch it, kinda like boiling water.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/15/22 09:39 PM

They could be really old chickens
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/15/22 09:41 PM

It seems like after 5, 6, 7 years or so they really put the breaks on egg making
Posted By: Undercoverdog

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/15/22 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
The neighbor has acquired 2 chickens and a rooster. Somebody gave them to him, saying that he didn’t want them any more. They rarely get any eggs from those two chickens. So, I’m wondering if some chickens just don’t produce. Seems odd that they don’t get eggs.

We have another neighbor who has 13 chickens, and they produce like crazy. They give us a bunch of eggs regularly - 6 dozen this afternoon.

Maybe neighbor A needs to learn ‘chicken things’ from neighbor B.

Is there a feeding trick or something to get chickens to lay eggs?

6 dozen eggs from 13 chickens ? Thems some egg laying dudes.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/15/22 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by procraft05
It seems like after 5, 6, 7 years or so they really put the breaks on egg making

Unless it is stress from moving to a new home or they are molting, they may just be empty. They are born with every egg they will ever lay and when the magazine runs empty, it can't be reloaded. We never got may eggs after they were 4 years old, many 1 or 2 per month.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/15/22 09:51 PM

Coq a vin
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/15/22 10:27 PM

Probably just old chickens. Granny can't pop out babies like a teenager. Raising chickens isn't rocket science. If they have quality scratch, some oyster shell, clean water and a nesting box they'll do their thing.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/15/22 10:35 PM

Don’t look a gift chicken in the mouth.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/15/22 10:36 PM

First off get rid of the rooster, he only has one thing on his mind and we all know what that is. You don't need a rooster for hens to lay eggs, all he does is stress the girls out.

Chicken facts:
Chickens must be 6 months old before beginning to lay.
1 chicken after the first 6 months can lay 260 in it's first year of laying.
Put them on some 16% layer feed and see if it makes a difference. Could have been on poor feed.
See if you can findout how old they are may just be old chickens and ready for the pot.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/15/22 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by angus1956
First off get rid of the rooster, he only has one thing on his mind and we all know what that is. You don't need a rooster for hens to lay eggs, all he does is stress the girls out.

Wait, you mean they don't have to screw to make babies?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/15/22 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

Make babies yes, make eggs no. I have 6 back yard hens that in their adult life have never seen a rooster but right now getting 3 to 5 eggs a day with one molting. These are a little over 2 years old
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/16/22 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Guy

Eggs aren’t babies until they’re fertilized. You know that, right?
Posted By: Papa Stan

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/16/22 12:08 AM

Agree with kmon11. 4 hens no rooster & 3 eggs/day here.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/16/22 12:15 AM

Need rooster to fertilize eggs to make babies.
Hens lay with or without a rooster. Doing this you just have eggs.

Hens have a gland in their eye which determines how much they lay based off the amount of daylight. Cloudy, overcast or stormy days they may not lay.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/16/22 12:52 AM

Waiting on Chickenman popcorn
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/16/22 06:03 AM

I have been raising chickens all my life at one time had over 150 in the roost. A;; the answers have been posted. My guess is that they are past their prime.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/16/22 06:34 AM

Sounds like your neighbor has chicken and dumplings in his future!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/16/22 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Sounds like your neighbor has chicken and dumplings in his future!

That sounds good food
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/16/22 12:09 PM

Which came first. Chicken or egg?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Chickens and eggs - 05/16/22 12:14 PM

Except for Oxner’s comment, I have learned some stuff about chickens from you guys. A few years back, I wanted us to get some chickens (for the eggs), but now that we get more than we can easily use from that other neighbor, we don’t need chickens on this place.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum