Texas Hunting Forum

Chem Applicator's License?

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Chem Applicator's License? - 04/25/22 03:04 PM

I've applied with the state and paid the $, but I'm very unclear what the next step is. Usually these things come with a barrage of emails but I got a simple letter back from the state and nothing else. I just want to be able to purchase and apply certain ag products on my own property. It looks like I need to get test materials and take a certain test, but which one?

Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/25/22 04:05 PM

I'm assuming you are getting a private applicators license?

Here's the step by step guide for that. https://www.texasagriculture.gov/Po...ator%20convenience%20testing%20flyer.pdf

Basically though you will receive a letter in the mail from TDA with your account number on it. You use that account number to register for your exams through PSI. You go take the exams, if you pass you will get your license in the mail from TDA. Then you just need to keep up with your records and obtain CEU's as needed.

For the exams there are alot of categories that you can take. If I remember right you must take the general and the laws and regs exams and then the other categories are optional and taken if they fit the way you will be using your license. This was for a non-commercial license though so the private could be a bit different.

You can purchase study materials from Texas A&M with this form. https://agrilife.org/aes/files/2015/10/TDA-order-form-10-1-15-revision.pdf
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/25/22 04:24 PM

You don't need a license to apply to your own property. I'll see if I still have an email confirming this - with some detail - from the state when I inquired with them a few years ago. I was asked to renovate a field owned by a church. Not doing it for profit. Basically, if it's commercial you need a license. Otherwise not. Now, purchasing products may be another story.

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/25/22 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by z71dustin
I'm assuming you are getting a private applicators license?

Here's the step by step guide for that. https://www.texasagriculture.gov/Po...ator%20convenience%20testing%20flyer.pdf

Basically though you will receive a letter in the mail from TDA with your account number on it. You use that account number to register for your exams through PSI. You go take the exams, if you pass you will get your license in the mail from TDA. Then you just need to keep up with your records and obtain CEU's as needed.

For the exams there are alot of categories that you can take. If I remember right you must take the general and the laws and regs exams and then the other categories are optional and taken if they fit the way you will be using your license. This was for a non-commercial license though so the private could be a bit different.

You can purchase study materials from Texas A&M with this form. https://agrilife.org/aes/files/2015/10/TDA-order-form-10-1-15-revision.pdf

Thank you! Exactly the answer I was seeking.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/25/22 05:03 PM

Reach out to you county extension agent. Where I live (Denton County) they send out an email every spring on clinics they run on this topic and they cover everything you need to know plus getting you the proper certification.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/25/22 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
You don't need a license to apply to your own property. I'll see if I still have an email confirming this - with some detail - from the state when I inquired with them a few years ago. I was asked to renovate a field owned by a church. Not doing it for profit. Basically, if it's commercial you need a license. Otherwise not. Now, purchasing products may be another story.

You need a permit to apply on your own property along with the records of when do did so and what you applied..
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/25/22 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose

Yes you do. It’s called a private applicators license unless you want to spray chemicals that don’t require a license to buy. Just had an employee take the commercial test for my land management division the different types were explained to me before I sent him. Pre test and studying wasn’t a cake walk.

Just my experience. OP can listen to whoever he wants.
Posted By: glens

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/25/22 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen
Reach out to you county extension agent. Where I live (Denton County) they send out an email every spring on clinics they run on this topic and they cover everything you need to know plus getting you the proper certification.

This. He'll tell you where the next class is. Got mine 12 years ago and just helps buying the nasty stuff to apply that really works. Renew every few years and have to keep up with Continuing Credit to hold it. You can use and help other Folks with Application if it's not a paid venture. I helped a couple Rancher Buddies with mine over in Fayette county.
Posted By: Derek

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/25/22 07:11 PM

For what QuitShootin is wanting to do I would get the Private App license. Which will allow him access to purchase RUP(Restricted Use Products) specifically if he's growing hay, grazing cattle, leasing it and so own. Even if he's not using his land for any commodity and just want's a pretty pasture to look at he would still need to get the Private App to purchase RUPs. Access to RUP's and not general purpose pesticides is what it sounds like he is looking for.

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/25/22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Derek
For what QuitShootin is wanting to do I would get the Private App license. Which will allow him access to purchase RUP(Restricted Use Products) specifically if he's growing hay, grazing cattle, leasing it and so own. Even if he's not using his land for any commodity and just want's a pretty pasture to look at he would still need to get the Private App to purchase RUPs. Access to RUP's and not general purpose pesticides is what it sounds like he is looking for.

Yes, it's mainly for the purchasing power. Being able to get RUPs and apply them. I've talked to two extension agents who were less than helpful; I'll try again here in Lubbock soon.

Edit, checked their local calendar. Is this what I'm after? Should I attend this and then test, or vice-versa?

MAY 2022

3 8-12pm Private Applicator Training, 916 Main Street, Suite 401, Lubbock TX CALL the day prior to register 806-775-1740.

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/25/22 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

Yes, it's mainly for the purchasing power. Being able to get RUPs and apply them. I've talked to two extension agents who were less than helpful; I'll try again here in Lubbock soon.

Edit, checked their local calendar. Is this what I'm after? Should I attend this and then test, or vice-versa?

MAY 2022

3 8-12pm Private Applicator Training, 916 Main Street, Suite 401, Lubbock TX CALL the day prior to register 806-775-1740.

That's probably what you want. They will tell what you need for the day, a calculator, If there still is a Test,, There is math involed in the test or was years ago. Easy Math. Years ago there were 100 questions after the hours long instruction and if you missed 25 of the questions you failed. You can come back for another session but You loose your moola that cost to take the Course.. They were several that failed it. Don't know how ,,, as you would have to be a slow Turnip to fail. .
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/26/22 01:41 PM

MAY 2022

You need to take the class before you take the test. I took it back in 20...11ish? It was part of one of my college classes...It definitely wasn't hard, but someone unfamiliar with calibrating sprayers or basic stuff as it relates to pest or herbicide application definitely won't pass. Hence they make you take the class first.

You also have to take 15 CEU over 5 years if you want to get a license renewal.

FYI you can buy several (2,4-d) products in QT size without a license. The purchase isn't restricted at that volume. However a QT is about $20 bucks vs about $40 for 2.5 gal of the same product.

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/27/22 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cochise

MAY 2022

You need to take the class before you take the test. I took it back in 20...11ish? It was part of one of my college classes...It definitely wasn't hard, but someone unfamiliar with calibrating sprayers or basic stuff as it relates to pest or herbicide application definitely won't pass. Hence they make you take the class first.

You also have to take 15 CEU over 5 years if you want to get a license renewal.

FYI you can buy several (2,4-d) products in QT size without a license. The purchase isn't restricted at that volume. However a QT is about $20 bucks vs about $40 for 2.5 gal of the same product.

There are some of the Pesticide's you will have to have a License for. Even miniscule quanities.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Chem Applicator's License? - 04/27/22 01:56 AM

Tag. I’ve been wondering about this as well so I am watching.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum