Texas Hunting Forum

Pond weed ID please

Posted By: pop r

Pond weed ID please - 02/20/22 03:00 PM

These weeds have taken over all 5 of my ponds in the last 2 years. They grow in or out of the water. Weed grows to around 3 ft. and has hard stickers everywhere. It has a hard stock and a root system like a young tree that can't be pulled up from the clay. My grandkids can't fish with these weeds grabbing their line. If I can find out the name of the weed maybe I could find a poison that wouldn't hurt the fish. Thanks for any help.[Linked Image]

Attached picture thumbnail (2) pond weed.jpg
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/20/22 03:42 PM

Diquat will kill it. Follow label directions exactly. Don't over spray, several light applications better than one heavy
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/20/22 04:30 PM

Don't smoke it, That's all I got.

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/20/22 05:38 PM

I haven't had any luck identifying this weed on any of the apps or web sites. I'm going to see if A&M could identify it if I dig up one and send it to them. Thanks for everyone's help!
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/20/22 06:21 PM

Your county agent will probably know what it is. Give him/her a call.
Posted By: Sailor

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/20/22 07:04 PM

Google ... "Shore Clear"..
Posted By: tlk

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/20/22 07:14 PM

go to www.pondboss.com and click on the forum - guys there know everything there is about ponds and taking care of them
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/20/22 07:59 PM

dead weed
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/20/22 08:44 PM

I have that weed as well but don’t spay it because I need it for cover for my bait fish.

To get access for fishing I back the shredder through it and open up holes every 20’-25’ or so. I also carefully take the tops off the stuff in the water.

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/21/22 01:44 AM

Tbar I have done the same with my mower. The mower seems to throw the seeds out and causes more to come up. It's kind of like cutting grass burrs. I'm wanting to kill this stuff before it gets in my 3-acre pond. Thanks for everyone's commits.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/21/22 01:57 AM

if your sure you want it dead, I would not use chemicals. You can use fire......Get a good rain and get one of those setups with multi flame propane torches. Ive seen some you attach to something like a four wheeler. Turn that bugger on high and give it a pass.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/21/22 02:09 AM

Well I bet you have a tractor, guys weld up a rake/claw like attachment that fits on the front of the bucket. This extends the rake a good 10’ to 12’ from the front of the bucket. This allows your tractor to be a good distance from the edge of the pond. Let the bucket down and rake out a clear spot.

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/21/22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by pop r
Tbar I have done the same with my mower. The mower seems to throw the seeds out and causes more to come up. It's kind of like cutting grass burrs. I'm wanting to kill this stuff before it gets in my 3-acre pond. Thanks for everyone's commits.

I have kept mine contained to this area for years. It never strays far from shore.

[Linked Image]

Maybe as said above burn off the dead growth with the seed pods then cut holes in the new growth to fish.

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/21/22 02:29 PM

Tbar mine looks like yours on my bank but there is just as much growing in the water. And like your I have coastal grass all behind the weeds. I'm 69 years old and don't think that I could control a grass fire. This is the reason I was wanting to poison it. Do you happen to know the name of this weed?
Posted By: decook

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/21/22 02:33 PM

pop r, do you have any pictures of this in the summer?

Check out this link,
https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/category-emergent-plants/

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/21/22 03:11 PM

Tbar mine looks like yours on my bank but there is just as much growing in the water. And like your I have coastal grass all behind the weeds. I'm 69 years old and don't think that I could control a grass fire. This is the reason I was wanting to poison it. Do you happen to know the name of this weed?

Regret I do not. The reason you don't see it in the water in this picture is because the surface level is way down due to lack of rain. Try looking at decook's link above or jump over to
https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=13&page=1

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/21/22 05:51 PM

Thanks' everyone for your help.

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/21/22 08:09 PM

No sir I don't have any picture with it in bloom. I e-mailed the Freestone County extension agency and asked if I could bring in a sample for identification? They told me to first send them a picture and see if they could identify by that. If not, I will dig one up and carry it to them. Thank you Decook

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/23/22 12:16 AM

It's been 2 days now and my County extension agency said they haven't been able to identify the weed as of yet. This is a tuff one. I know if Cast was still around, he would know what it was.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/23/22 02:22 AM

Close up picture of the stalk with stickers? Does it have stickers that fall off of it, or are you saying it has stalks with thorns? In the spring does it have leaves or is it a grass type plant? The picture currently provided it would be difficult to even guess, but I will try.

My east texas place I hunt has brambles that grow in any wet areas that get sun. Some are ankle high, some are head high. They spread coming up with new shoots and rooting from fallen stalks all over in and out of the water. The stalks are covered with tiny thorns and bristles. In winter they are bare of leaves. If I try to walk through them, they grab my clothing and skin everywhere they touch and trap you. If I fish over them they can really mess up your line. I carry garden prunders in a belt sheath when fishing those areas and just keep cutting them away from my line if I hang up in them. By brambles, they could be any species of wild dewberry or blackberry. There are several in Texas. During winter ones on my hunting lease look just like your picture from a distance. Online pictures only ever show them green with leaves.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/23/22 02:44 AM

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/category-emergent-plants/

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/23/22 09:25 AM

Sniper John I don't remember the stalks having the stickers but its limbs do. It has very little limbs with small leaves. This plant doesn't start out growing in the water. It grows from the bank. When the water level drops, and the plant drop its seed they then start to grow at the water edge. After the rain fills the pond, the plant keeps growing just like it did out of the water. It appears nothing bothers this plant.
Thank you, Sniper John,

Stxranchman thank you but the plant isn't any of these.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/23/22 01:31 PM

popcorn
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/23/22 02:08 PM

You didn't plant those seeds from China? It's interesting to see all the invasive weeds along the railroads spreading out into new territory. I remember a few that have taken over in some places.

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/25/22 02:56 AM

Got the results back from A&M today. With the plant being dead their best guess is it's in the Rush plant family. They aren't familiar with any of the species having stickers. I will send them some pictures this spring when they are growing.
Thanks for every one's help.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/25/22 03:58 AM

Looks to be a sedge of some sort, possibly spike rush

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/25/22 03:46 PM

KWood_TSU you are correct it is spike rush. I've order some shore klear to hopefully get rid of these plants.
Thanks everyone!
Posted By: decook

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/25/22 07:03 PM

Great outcome pop r. KWood_TSU comes through cheers
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Pond weed ID please - 02/26/22 07:31 PM

KWood_TSU you are correct it is spike rush. I've order some shore klear to hopefully get rid of these plants.
Thanks everyone!

Glad we got it figured out. Proper weed ID is half the battle
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum