Texas Hunting Forum

Ancestry and meeting new family

Posted By: CoyoteHill

Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/19/22 08:43 PM

Cool story to relay to ya'll. As are many of us, I'm also on several other forums (No! not TFF). On a Marlin forum, I have my last name on there and the other day I get a message from this guy going by Shark Bait. He asked if I had any ancestors that were in Kentucky a long time ago. Luckily, I have done a lot of ancestral research so I was able to answer back yes, I did. He then asked about a specific ancestor in his line back then and turns out it's the same one in mine! My 5th Great Grandfather is his 6th Great grand father which (after googling it....) he is my 6th cousin once removed. He had seen my last name on that forum from my post a few times and thought the only place he had seen it before was while he was doing his ancestral line. We've been talking back and forth and seems we have a lot more in common. Both of us are avid firearms enthusiast, we both have public service/first responder background, and we were born in the same month of the same year. I was raised in Edgewood, TX and he lives about 8 miles from Edgewood, New Mexico. Just crazy some of the similarities. Anyway, we are talking about meeting up at some point and doing some range time, I'm hoping at the NRA center in Raton, NM.
I thought I'd just share that.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/19/22 08:45 PM

Cool when you make those connections.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/19/22 09:23 PM

Catfishing.....
Posted By: CoyoteHill

Re: Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/19/22 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Catfishing.....

Man, I am so glad there are guys like you out there looking after my best interest! I would have never thought of that unless you had not pointed it out to me. I guess all that checking up on him through ancestry.com, through the other forum, asking people who know him was all just coincidence on my end.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/20/22 01:00 AM

Hope it’s genuine and y’all have a great time together once you meet up.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/20/22 08:12 AM

Y’all were born in the same month of the same year, but y’all are different generations? Somebody either robbed the cradle or some blue hairs were bumping uglies
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/20/22 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Y’all were born in the same month of the same year, but y’all are different generations? Somebody either robbed the cradle or some blue hairs were bumping uglies

I have some second cousins with the same scenario. Their parents thought they were done having kids, then 15-20 years later - surprise!
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/20/22 12:20 PM

Yep, my grandfather born in 1897 had some first cousins half his age.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/20/22 12:22 PM

That's pretty darn cool up Please be sure and do a follow up on here after y'all meet.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/20/22 12:23 PM

Don't loan any money.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/20/22 01:08 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/20/22 01:41 PM

👍
Posted By: nak

Re: Ancestry and meeting new family - 01/20/22 02:03 PM

That is a cool story.

20 years ago...a plant manager for one of my customers shared the same last name. We talked on the phone fairly often, but had never met. He had asked where I was from, and when I told him, he was sure we were related. I was sure we were not, because my sister has done a lot of ancestry research. We finally met after a few years. As I walked into the room, the lightbulb in my head came on before we ever shook hands or spoke. WE talked for a couple of hours, and I learned about a part a darker of my family history...a part that I had never heard discussed before.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum