Texas Hunting Forum

Stock Market

Posted By: Sniper John

Stock Market - 01/10/22 04:07 PM

Ugly Day scared
Unfortunately I think it's going to get a lot worse.

S&P 500 4,594.08 -82.95 (-1.77%)

NASDAQ Composite 14,584.62 -351.27 (-2.35%)
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 04:18 PM

Bad news travels like wildfire.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 04:23 PM

It's been a bad year, Lol.
Posted By: one73maro

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 05:10 PM

My 401K was up 23% last year. So far this year I'm down about 3-4%. The market is crazy and will drop several hundred points and then come right back up on a day or so. Just gotta let it ride!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by DocHorton
It's been a bad year, Lol.

Only if you are retiring, outside of that it's Jan. Always drops some. I always try to have a large cash position just for Jan. Only year my plan backfired a little was trumps election year
Posted By: DukeCigars

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 05:51 PM

Every time Biden speaks, it bleeds. He’s only going to be worse with mid terms coming later this year
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 05:58 PM

Set it and forget it. In for the long haul.

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by one73maro
My 401K was up 23% last year. So far this year I'm down about 3-4%. The market is crazy and will drop several hundred points and then come right back up on a day or so. Just gotta let it ride!

Same here. In fact on the 3rd, my combined portfolio was at an all time high. Rather than ride though I took profits (and some losses) on all my current trades. And since I have been way heavy in big tech since the early days of covid, I also sold much of my big tech/QQQ stuff over the last two weeks to build cash again. More than usual, so for me that hit is not as bad as it could have been today. The new cash is going back into mostly S&P500 VOO and Total Stock Market VTI funds during these dips like today and will ride from there. I don't think I can beat that this year.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 06:23 PM

[Linked Image]

I’m playing the pinks and they’re doing ok today.
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169
[Linked Image]

I’m playing the pinks and they’re doing ok today.

Yeah the little oil company is chugging right along! cheers
Posted By: PigMoney

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 08:11 PM

I'm sitting at 23% for the last 12 months. Ride the waves.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 08:56 PM

Thank you Joe realmad
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 09:02 PM

Nasdaq just finished up
Posted By: Remo

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 09:06 PM

All hail Petroteq. Bunch of my positions sold automatically last week so same story of lessened losses and sheltering in cash. DWAC was up again, lol.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 09:20 PM

The sky is falling! Not, DJIA still 5000 points higher than a year ago.

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 09:29 PM

Wow little oil company up another 15% today! Looking Sweet banana2
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 10:23 PM

😎

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John

Same here. In fact on the 3rd, my combined portfolio was at an all time high. Rather than ride though I took profits (and some losses) on all my current trades. And since I have been way heavy in big tech since the early days of covid, I also sold much of my big tech/QQQ stuff over the last two weeks to build cash again. More than usual, so for me that hit is not as bad as it could have been today. The new cash is going back into mostly S&P500 VOO and Total Stock Market VTI funds during these dips like today and will ride from there. I don't think I can beat that this year.

I have actually had good years for the last 3yrs. Like I stated earlier I was up 23% last year and was up 30% the two previous years. When Covid hit in 2020 I took a big loss (about 70K) in a week or so time period. I left my funds where they were and I made it all back and more. I am not big on the market or keeping up with everything and making moves all the time. I check the funds that my 401K (Prudential) offers and base my selections off the 3yr and 5yr returns for them. I have been doing well so have not made any changes in a while.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Stock Market - 01/10/22 11:09 PM

Growth companies that have yet to show a profit have been overvalued for quite a while IMO.......investors start to pay attention when money becomes more expensive for these types of companies.....dividend paying companies with strong balance sheets and cash flow are having a good year and will continue to IMO.....
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Stock Market - 01/11/22 04:52 AM

For some of us over 65 time isn't on my side, let it ride doesn't work.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Stock Market - 01/11/22 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by angus1956

Watch the movie Too Big To Fail. A lot on this forum are in big cities and bank at one of the five or so biggest banks. The biggest banks have $TRILLIONS$ of exposure in derivatives. Think about it. If you were their derivatives trader that would be like you being at a poker table and you cannot lose, at least anything but your job.

I wouldn't have fifteen cents in anything but a small town highly rated bank. The biggest banks have back room traders trading derivatives. Forget FDIC. The last time I looked they didn't have enough funding to put out a burning match on wet concrete compared to just Chase bank's derivatives risk, much less the next five or so.

Brag all you want about your returns. However, if any of you want to park some cash somewhere besides one of the banks most likely to lose your cash check out Treasury Direct. If they go down then we really are down to beans and bullets. At least there you have the dry powder for a potential deal.

I don't remember how Warren Buffet put it. I'll just paraphrase. When there is blood in the streets mop it up. Your cash earning zip will be ready to mop up some deals.

EDIT: Treasury Direct has about the worst website I've ever used. I cannot believe how bad it is. I guess I'll just chalk it up to being a federal agency. However, that is where you can park cash in Treasury Bills. For myself, forget anything past a 30 day commitment there. Only an idiot would buy a US Treasury Bond in this interest changing environment.

Would you "loan" your money to the liberals for any term over a month?

Re: Stock Market - 01/11/22 10:15 AM

Yes I agree with you on this. If your close to retirement age you definitely want to have it in something more guaranteed. I know nothing is guaranteed (except death & taxes) but something less volatile with market change.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Stock Market - 01/11/22 11:24 AM

Is the panic over? roflmao

Re: Stock Market - 01/11/22 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by DannyB

Watch the movie Too Big To Fail. A lot on this forum are in big cities and bank at one of the five or so biggest banks. The biggest banks have $TRILLIONS$ of exposure in derivatives. Think about it. If you were their derivatives trader that would be like you being at a poker table and you cannot lose, at least anything but your job.

I wouldn't have fifteen cents in anything but a small town highly rated bank. The biggest banks have back room traders trading derivatives. Forget FDIC. The last time I looked they didn't have enough funding to put out a burning match on wet concrete compared to just Chase bank's derivatives risk, much less the next five or so.

Brag all you want about your returns. However, if any of you want to park some cash somewhere besides one of the banks most likely to lose your cash check out Treasury Direct. If they go down then we really are down to beans and bullets. At least there you have the dry powder for a potential deal.

I don't remember how Warren Buffet put it. I'll just paraphrase. When there is blood in the streets mop it up. Your cash earning zip will be ready to mop up some deals.

EDIT: Treasury Direct has about the worst website I've ever used. I cannot believe how bad it is. I guess I'll just chalk it up to being a federal agency. However, that is where you can park cash in Treasury Bills. For myself, forget anything past a 30 day commitment there. Only an idiot would buy a US Treasury Bond in this interest changing environment.

Would you "loan" your money to the liberals for any term over a month?

Inflation bonds are paying 7.12% right now and compound. Not a bad place to store small amounts of cash over time if your wanting to park it someplace safe. The bad is you can only buy $10,000 a year through treasury direct and you can't buy them in a pre tax account. You can sell anytime with only like a three months interest penalty which would be no big deal. My original emergency fund is still in paper I bonds and earning double digit interest since the older I bonds included a fixed interest.

Re: Stock Market - 01/11/22 04:33 PM

Ride it like it is a roller coaster.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 01:38 AM

Yes I agree with you on this. If your close to retirement age you definitely want to have it in something more guaranteed. I know nothing is guaranteed (except death & taxes) but something less volatile with market change.

wrong - there is something guaranteed - an immediate income annuity - pays you a monthly income (or you and your spouse) no matter what the account balance is - if you are looking for a lifelong guaranteed income then research immediate income annuities

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by tlk

wrong - there is something guaranteed - an immediate income annuity - pays you a monthly income (or you and your spouse) no matter what the account balance is - if you are looking for a lifelong guaranteed income then research immediate income annuities

If anyone following this is interested in asset protection you should look into the immediate annuity mentioned here. It's not for everyone. I determined it didn't suit my needs. However, one article I read referred to Texas and Florida as something like "annuity utopia." It is a state specific deal. Doctors flock to Florida and Texas and buy immediate annuities. Malpractice suits---bring it on.

I haven't looked at this for a few years. If nothing has changed, if you are sued that immediate annuity somehow protects you, as in the person suing you cannot get to it.

The drawback is once you commit to this type of annuity you are locked. You cannot get out of it.

If I were to want one it would have to be with one of the top strongest insurance companies in the US. I briefly talked to a Northwestern Mutual Agent and then decided this wasn't for me.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 03:43 AM

I'm not even going to Google it because I like the current crop of adds I'm being served and don't want to see finance ads replace them. However I will say that there are dividend funds that don't have a lot of growth but they do have good income. Look into qyld and a couple others like it.

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gravytrain
I'm not even going to Google it because I like the current crop of adds I'm being served and don't want to see finance ads replace them. However I will say that there are dividend funds that don't have a lot of growth but they do have good income. Look into qyld and a couple others like it.

What? You should have a Northwestern Mutual ad in your face just by reading the post. roflmao
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 04:00 AM

make it stop John !!

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 01:22 PM

Yelp look at the 15 year average divided and performance on NLY

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 01:28 PM

What? You should have a Northwestern Mutual ad in your face just by reading the post. roflmao

My ladies in the airport ads are gone! sad day.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 01:36 PM

Trump mentioned this in his campaign.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 01:38 PM

Best advice I ever got was from the wealthiest man I personally know. "Put your money in the market, go long term and pay no attention to the market", Just look at the DOW over the last 30 years. That's about the same time I got into the market. It takes a hit from time to time but it always comes back and improves, when you constantly buy you take advantage of the hit's.

https://www.macrotrends.net/1319/dow-jones-100-year-historical-chart

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 01:49 PM

My IRA stays about the same after I take out my MDR.
Posted By: Sick Train

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 01:59 PM

Set it and forget it is what I've done for the last 19 years.
Posted By: don k

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
My IRA stays about the same after I take out my MDR.

RMD Bill
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 02:59 PM

Key takeaways from JPM and BR 2022 outlook calls:

+ They expect a good stock market year with high single digits or low double digits return. Still favoring value over growth stocks but more balanced than 2021.

+ They expect higher returns coming from EM, Europe, China and Japan over US stocks in 2022.

+ They expect inflation to be around 3.5% in the next 2-3 months and 2.5% by the end of the year

+ They expect GDP to grow slower than in 2021 (was ~5.5%} to about ~3.5% in 2022
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

+ They expect inflation to be around 3.5% in the next 2-3 months and 2.5% by the end of the year

Lol....riiiight. Gotta be some magic bullet they must know about to solve ALL the problems.

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 03:04 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cochise

Lol....riiiight. Gotta be some magic bullet they must know about to solve ALL the problems.

I guess we will see.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 03:13 PM

Key takeaways from JPM and BR 2022 outlook calls:

+ They expect a good stock market year with high single digits or low double digits return. Still favoring value over growth stocks but more balanced than 2021.

+ They expect higher returns coming from EM, Europe, China and Japan over US stocks in 2022.

+ They expect GDP to grow slower than in 2021 (was ~5.5%} to about ~3.5% in 2022

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Funny that they expect to see a good stock market year when the chart you posted shows midterm years suck
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 03:16 PM

Sold a few losers yesterday. I may increase my position in oil stocks. NVDA also looks attractive right now.

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
Sold a few losers yesterday. I may increase my position in oil stocks. NVDA also looks attractive right now.

The only long swing trades I kept when I was doing my rebalancing recently was in Financial/Bank and Energy ETFs. I was late getting back into the Energy/Oil stuff and playing it fairly safe mostly in RYE which is equal weight fund, but it sure is doing well. I was considering increasing it as well.

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sick Train
Set it and forget it is what I've done for the last 19 years.

I mostly agree with this. Dollar cost averaging into a balanced portfolio in a ratio related to risk tolerance is the way to go.

But I do regret not educating myself on investing and the stock market early in my career. Outside of a balanced portfolio, I wish I had set a portion aside for more risk, but researched, not speculative risk. And taking opportunities when it was obvious.

Re: Stock Market - 01/12/22 06:10 PM

The only long swing trades I kept when I was doing my rebalancing recently was in Financial/Bank and Energy ETFs. I was late getting back into the Energy/Oil stuff and playing it fairly safe mostly in RYE which is equal weight fund, but it sure is doing well. I was considering increasing it as well.

It was probably blind luck but I dumped a lot of oil stocks when Delta hit. Held the proceeds in cash and jumped back in when oil started to go back up.

Re: Stock Market - 01/13/22 02:42 AM

It was probably blind luck but I dumped a lot of oil stocks when Delta hit. Held the proceeds in cash and jumped back in when oil started to go back up.

I thought the Halliburton chart looked good a couple of weeks ago after I noticed the rest of the sector was popping off. Hit my profit target a last week and bailed since it was going so slow, then yesterday the pop I had been waiting for hit. Oh well.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Stock Market - 01/13/22 03:27 AM

I’m 35 and never had anything invested in the stock market before other than my company retirement. We put a considerable sum for us in last week, hope it goes well.

Re: Stock Market - 01/13/22 05:21 AM

only down $18,000 in my portfolio and it SUCKS !!!! violin

Re: Stock Market - 01/13/22 01:06 PM

This year isn't starting off so bad.
2022 YTD Investments
Personal Rate of Return
16.26%
Year To Date

Re: Stock Market - 01/13/22 01:15 PM

As long as you are not using borrowed money to play the market and you have enough in cash to cover yourself for a couple of years at the most everything will work out just fine. If it doesn't the whole country in in deep Do Do.

Re: Stock Market - 01/13/22 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by don k
As long as you are not using borrowed money to play the market and you have enough in cash to cover yourself for a couple of years at the most everything will work out just fine. If it doesn't the whole country in in deep Do Do.

There is more than one way to borrow money to invest, margin debt. It is at an all time high.

I personally think this should have never been allowed in the first place because when a market starts selling off margin calls just cause more selling. It is bad for everybody in the markets, except the short sellers.

https://www.investopedia.com/margin-debt-reaches-new-high-5093761

Re: Stock Market - 01/13/22 06:49 PM

From my Edward Jones rep...

2022 Outlook: Less Is More

Re: Stock Market - 01/13/22 08:38 PM

There is more than one way to borrow money to invest, margin debt. It is at an all time high.

I personally think this should have never been allowed in the first place because when a market starts selling off margin calls just cause more selling. It is bad for everybody in the markets, except the short sellers.

I think a lot of new investors/traders got into the market just after the covid crash. You could have picked stocks throwing a dart at the board and made money and everyone starts to feel like an expert in a bull market. I don't doubt a lot of new traders were trading on margin last couple years and could be playing with fire now. I know I was pulling every bit of cash I could find to put in it, but I called and had margin removed from my accounts so I would not be tempted by it.

Re: Stock Market - 01/13/22 09:25 PM

I think a lot of new investors/traders got into the market just after the covid crash. You could have picked stocks throwing a dart at the board and made money and everyone starts to feel like an expert in a bull market. I don't doubt a lot of new traders were trading on margin last couple years and could be playing with fire now. I know I was pulling every bit of cash I could find to put in it, but I called and had margin removed from my accounts so I would not be tempted by it.

Besides the temptation to trade in excess there is another bit of info flying around. How accurate it is I don't know, but I was told that if you have a margin account that your brokerage can "loan your shares" to a short seller in order for that short seller to be legally in compliance. I know there is a lot of illegal naked short selling going on. However, I still don't want my shares loaned to anybody. If something could go wrong likely it would.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Stock Market - 01/14/22 03:23 PM

If you believe that inflation is going to plague us for a while and rates are going to increase (and they will at some point), what is the best stock to buy as a defensive position?

Re: Stock Market - 01/14/22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
If you believe that inflation is going to plague us for a while and rates are going to increase (and they will at some point), what is the best stock to buy as a defensive position?

Inflation bonds are safest hedge

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by jetdad

Inflation bonds are safest hedge

That 7.12% sounds pretty good.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 12:51 AM

Small caps have been getting absolutely hammered the last 6 months

If I had a pile of cash ready, thats where id go

It takes a stomach for it but thats just what I prefer

Gimme blue chip, high dividend or small cap, not profitable

I cant stand the boring stuff
Posted By: scot

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 01:20 AM

VTI and chill. Allday everyday. No one knows nothing.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by procraft05

I have done great with KO, XOM, APPL, and MSFT

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

Im sure you have, I kick myself daily for not loading the boat on TSLA

Thing is, my gut told me to a few years ago and I didn't

It'll be the one that got away for me
Posted By: Guy

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 01:32 AM

I always sell when the market is high, and buy when the market is low. dead_horse

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Guy
I always sell when the market is high, and buy when the market is low. dead_horse

Are you currently buying or selling roflmao

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 01:39 AM

Been getting killed as of late
Posted By: blanked

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 01:42 AM

[/quote]

So ideally how much of your portfolio do you like to see in tech? 30%?

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Guy

Are you currently buying or selling roflmao

It depends, if the market is up I sell, if it is down I buy. You have to be really smarter than anyone else for the strategy, so not for everyone. smile ani

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by blanked

So ideally how much of your portfolio do you like to see in tech? 30%?
[/quote]

I sent you the long answer via pm. I went 30% to 40% Microsoft/Apple/Google/Amazon and QQQ in April 2020. Amazon was my largest holding early on, but using Guy's trading strategy I flipped it about 5 times since then and did not buy it back last time. As of the beginning of January I am now around 10% only in Microsoft/Apple/Google. I am mostly in VTI and VOO now which does have some Tech in them as well.

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 06:04 AM

Bought 200 shares @ 1800. Split 5 to 1. Sold at 1000. Wish I had bought at 400 like my son told me to.

Re: Stock Market - 01/15/22 04:23 PM

My wife almost died when I told her I bought $500,000.00 of XOM when the market tanked in 2020.
But, it's already more than doubled in market value and has payed dividends 6 times. banana

Re: Stock Market - 01/16/22 03:00 AM

Bought 200 shares @ 1800. Split 5 to 1. Sold at 1000. Wish I had bought at 400 like my son told me to.

I bought small positions in TSLA about three times and took quick profits each time. I just could not stomach the P/E ratio on it thinking it could crash at any time and Elon was coming across as an unpredictable nut. The P/E ratio even now is over 300. Like your son, I also had people close to me telling me to load up on it and hold. I missed that boat too.

Re: Stock Market - 01/16/22 04:10 AM

"got to know when to holdem"
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Stock Market - 01/16/22 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

"and when to foldem"
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Stock Market - 01/17/22 05:55 AM

Is Closed Tomorrow bang
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Stock Market - 01/17/22 07:43 AM

I dumped it all upon retirement. That's no time for risk if you don't have to. I'm glad I did.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Stock Market - 01/17/22 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

"and when to foldem"

'Never could stand that silly song.

Re: Stock Market - 01/18/22 04:59 PM

Are you getting worried yet?
Posted By: freerange

Re: Stock Market - 01/19/22 12:30 AM

Not hardly. Not me anyway.

Re: Stock Market - 01/19/22 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by freerange

The S&P 500 only closed down 17 points from the intraday figure I posted when I started this thread a week ago. I am in buy mode waiting on lower lows, so I be watching the market like.....

[Linked Image]

Re: Stock Market - 01/19/22 11:45 AM

Funny, I'm up 20% already in 2022. Oil is the future.

Re: Stock Market - 01/19/22 12:42 PM

The S&P 500 only closed down 17 points from the intraday figure I posted when I started this thread a week ago. I am in buy mode waiting on lower lows, so I be watching the market like.....

[Linked Image]

And you remember what they did to Brave Heart in the end. It wasn't pretty.

Re: Stock Market - 01/19/22 01:41 PM

[Linked Image]

And you remember what they did to Brave Heart in the end. It wasn't pretty.

Appropriate. When it does crash, it will be the mother of all crashes and people will get disemboweled, drawn and quartered.

Re: Stock Market - 01/19/22 04:50 PM

Well, I do hope I don't end up with my head on a spike above the London bridge. wink

Re: Stock Market - 01/20/22 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by yotehater
Funny, I'm up 20% already in 2022. Oil is the future.

I was late to the game so only up 15%. If like Biden you think Russia is going to invade Ukraine, this would be your best hedge to the market. Oil prices would go to the moon.

Re: Stock Market - 01/21/22 08:57 PM

Ugly Day scared
Unfortunately I think it's going to get a lot worse.

S&P 500 4,594.08 -82.95 (-1.77%)

NASDAQ Composite 14,584.62 -351.27 (-2.35%)

Aaaaand.... It got worse frown
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Stock Market - 01/21/22 09:04 PM

Remember how low it went when COVID was at its worst? Looking at it like being a rubber band that's being pulled back. The future looks good so long as it doesn't snap.

Re: Stock Market - 01/21/22 09:16 PM

Ugly week!!!

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 02:25 PM

Another week
Ugly week!!!

Looks like the start of this week is bringing more ugly. Futures this morning look awful. I am still in almost 1/3 cash from the rebalancing selling I did at the beginning of this month. It's nerve racking deciding on a target point to start buying back in.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 03:21 PM

Turning into a bloodbath this morning. Before retiring at the end of Dec, I moved 75% of my TSP funds from the Lifecycle 2050 into the G fund.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 03:26 PM

I know we aren't all in the same position. For me, I'd rather just see it sink fast, 1,000+ points at a time. I've got 2/3 of my investments in cash/money market just waiting to get back in, and it's easier to timely DCA when it goes down in big chunks.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by TLew
I know we aren't all in the same position. For me, I'd rather just see it sink fast, 1,000+ points at a time. I've got 2/3 of my investments in cash/money market just waiting to get back in, and it's easier to timely DCA when it goes down in big chunks.

I wish my investments were 2/3 cash instead of 1/3. The Dow was over 1000 points down a little while ago. I still think it's too early to start buying yet, but who knows. This Russia thing is going to be an Elephant in a china factory.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 06:19 PM

I wish my investments were 2/3 cash instead of 1/3. The Dow was over 1000 points down a little while ago. I still think it's too early to start buying yet, but who knows. This Russia thing is going to be an Elephant in a china factory.

Only 650 down now. It will be a seesaw week

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 06:31 PM

Only 650 down now. It will be a seesaw week

Yes it will. I looked at Crypto. Bitcoin was down around 20% for the week and Ethereum around 30%. I bet the new Crypto investors who held are freaking out.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 07:26 PM

now only -420...

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 08:32 PM

360 now. My guess is it will either slide quickly downhill over the next hour, or close relatively even with a drop tomorrow. Seems like the quants are driving a bunch of this

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 08:53 PM

What a ride.
I just turned positive for the day overall.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 08:59 PM

Comical. 1200 point swing so far from low to high

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 09:05 PM

You will live a lot longer if you do not watch it every day.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
You will live a lot longer if you do not watch it every day.

What he said.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 09:24 PM

Amazing...down all day then everything closes in the green!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 09:37 PM

Been saying it since the recovery from the Great Recession - erratic is the new norm.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 09:57 PM

I loaded up on CRLB @ 5.50 today it ended UP to a green day I think I hit it close to the bottom..

They say never put all your eggs in one basket, I hope I don't trip... Now Lets Go Brandon and get SAFE Passed.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67

Been saying it since the recovery from the Great Recession - erratic is the new norm.

They always over sell and over buy, two panic stages and then it settles down.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

"and when to foldem"

'Never could stand that silly song.

Love it or hate it there's no truer words spoken.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 10:35 PM

The Plunge Protection Team (Feds) pulled this dog out of the hole today.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 11:07 PM

Crazy day. Won’t be the last in the near future, I think.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 11:31 PM

Don't over play your hand.

Re: Stock Market - 01/24/22 11:41 PM

I had a lot of oil stocks, HAD... crying
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Stock Market - 01/25/22 06:56 PM

bolt

Re: Stock Market - 01/25/22 08:40 PM

know when to walk away and know when to fold

Re: Stock Market - 01/26/22 12:59 PM

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Stock Market - 01/26/22 02:16 PM

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Re: Stock Market - 01/26/22 02:16 PM

Don't wear white after labor day.

Re: Stock Market - 01/26/22 02:20 PM

Stop and smell the roses.

Re: Stock Market - 01/26/22 02:29 PM

If it don't stink don't stir it.

Re: Stock Market - 01/26/22 02:30 PM

Wish in one hand a sh*t in the other. See which gets full the fastest.

Re: Stock Market - 01/26/22 02:31 PM

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Re: Stock Market - 01/26/22 02:33 PM

"Don't tell me what you value, show me your budget, and I'll tell you what you value." — Joe Biden.
Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 12:58 AM

You can pick your friends and ya can pick your nose but ya can’t pick your friends noses

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 01:25 AM

I lost 10% of my account last week, my XOM options made up for a little, so I'm only down 5% total. Ouchy!

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Erathkid
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Originally Posted by Erathkid
Don't wear white after labor day.

That's probably enough whisky EK. roflmao

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 01:49 AM

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't lead a horticulture.

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 03:08 AM

As long as you don't sell you haven't lost anything.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 03:28 AM

you can tune a piano but can't tuna fish
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 12:05 PM

You can take a horse to water and water to a horse.

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 01:05 PM

Here I sit broken hearted. Came to sh*t and only farted.

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 01:10 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 01:17 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 01:25 PM

Back a few years ago one of the pilots on the plane I worked on wanted to become a day trader. He had tried it on his own and had lost his rear. He got in touch with one in Chicago who for $5000 who work with him for a couple of days letting him observe. He did it and then proceeded to lost the rest of his A**. Never heard much about him and stock markets after that.

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 05:00 PM

two more years of this chit

Re: Stock Market - 01/27/22 09:42 PM

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't lead a horticulture.

scratch roflmao

Re: Stock Market - 02/02/22 07:14 AM

Well it looks like Ol Chuck is gonna let SAFE Banking go on it's own it's about to get interesting in this sector.. Keep an eye on these Lil green stocks and watch them start to grow.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/mar...ng-committee-action-on-large-scale-bill/

Re: Stock Market - 02/02/22 12:42 PM

So illegal weed sales are ok, not illegal gun sales. up

Re: Stock Market - 02/02/22 11:41 PM

FB is down $74 after hours

Re: Stock Market - 02/02/22 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be

they can crash and burn for all i care.

Re: Stock Market - 02/02/22 11:54 PM

they can crash and burn for all i care.

Yeppers!
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Stock Market - 02/03/22 12:02 AM

Get you some Alphabet, they announced a 20 for 1 split today along with outstanding quarterly results. Split doesn’t make it more valuable, just more accessible/active, along with good results means goodness.

Charlie
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Stock Market - 02/03/22 12:03 AM

Sometimes a person should rely on their own sense of right and wrong and not let their crooked government do it for them.

Re: Stock Market - 02/03/22 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

Sometimes a person should rely on their own sense of right and wrong and not let their crooked government do it for them.

Does anyone's sense of right or wrong see anything right or wrong with the Federal Reserve increasing US Dollars five fold in two years?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Stock Market - 02/03/22 12:18 AM

Yes, I see something wrong. Seems to me that Fred is f$&@#%*.

Re: Stock Market - 02/03/22 12:42 AM

Does anyone's sense of right or wrong see anything right or wrong with the Federal Reserve increasing US Dollars five fold in two years?

[Linked Image]

This is a redneck forum, you should probably explain yourself more.

Re: Stock Market - 02/03/22 01:27 AM

Yes, I see something wrong. Seems to me that Fred is FUBAR

There you go.

Re: Stock Market - 02/11/22 06:05 PM

Completely baseless opinion, but I expect to see the floor drop out of the market before close today

Re: Stock Market - 02/11/22 06:31 PM

Completely baseless opinion, but I expect to see the floor drop out of the market before close today

I forgot when the last Fed unscheduled meeting was. I remember one where a rate adjustment happened and the market didn't do well that day.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/why-fed-holding-expedited-closed-board-meeting-monday
Posted By: 3kcattle

Re: Stock Market - 02/11/22 06:39 PM

Oil running hard!

Re: Stock Market - 02/11/22 06:45 PM

Well that didn't take long. I posted my comment when we were down 80. 30 minutes later and we are down 410 and dropping

Re: Stock Market - 02/11/22 06:49 PM

Up one day and down the next...typical

Re: Stock Market - 02/11/22 07:14 PM

Roller coaster.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Stock Market - 02/11/22 07:17 PM

Are we rich yet?

Re: Stock Market - 02/11/22 08:01 PM

A couple hours ago PBS reported on chatter out of Russia indicating a Ukraine invasion was likely and could happen at any time. This is what triggered the market dip. The whole thing may just be saber rattling and psychological warfare or could be the real deal. I am surprised the market has not reacted worse. I'm still sitting on cash in six figures leftover from the Nasdaq related stuff I sold beginning of January waiting for that bigger market correction to put the rest of it back in. I know they say you can't time the market, but I will have prevented at least a 15% loss on a third of my investments and likely much more if we get a black swan from this Ukraine stuff.

Re: Stock Market - 02/11/22 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Paluxy
Are we rich yet?

I’m still way better off than I was 10 years ago.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Stock Market - 02/11/22 11:09 PM

DOW going to 70k..............you cant fight inflation.

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by fadetoblack64

Series I bonds.

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 12:40 AM

You can't time the market. Thinking you can says more about your ego than just about anything else.

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 03:08 AM

You can't time the market. Thinking you can says more about your ego than just about anything else.

Ego? Ouch. Why the hate? Let me explain. My Nasdaq related investments well more than doubled during Covid. I was extremely overweight in that sector. With the Feds raising rates and easing back on bond buying, research and past history and everything else going on indicated Big Tech was not going to do well in the short term. So I sold to rebalance during an all time high rally and immediately after. Set limit orders to start buying at market correction territory as my target. A month and 2500 point drop in the Nasdaq later, those first buy limit orders started filling. The rest of the limit buy orders will dollar cost average on further drops until I am all in again. Or on the way back up to where I sold if need be, but I doubt I will have to do that. No ego involved. Just DD. I have been day and swing trading since I retired and saw it as a no brainer since I am watching the market every day and needed to rebalance my long hold investments anyway.

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Series I bonds.

I have been buying some myself. That guaranteed 7.12% return is not a bad deal right now.
up

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 03:27 AM

Just received my TSP yearly statement and I made 8.45 last year. I'll take it.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

mine made 12.79 we could have made a lot more if it was all in stocks

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 06:59 PM

My little oil company was up 281% since October when I started selling. Need to find another one like it!! cheers

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 08:33 PM

Chit is killin part of my portfolio. Down over $15,000 bang
Posted By: EmergencyDoc

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by fredeboy
My little oil company was up 281% since October when I started selling. Need to find another one like it!! cheers

CGXEF

Guyana play- just hit hydrocarbons on an offshore drill. Should have results this next week if commercial grade or not. If so, expect them to get a JV with a big name to aid in farming out the additional 30+ wells planned. Plus they are building the only deep water port for the area. Money to be made short term but likely tons of runway for the long term as that area is the new place to be for oil companies.

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 08:49 PM

youre daughter cost you that Buzz.......not the DOW

rofl

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Poppa
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

mine made 12.79 we could have made a lot more if it was all in stocks

Yea, I had already moved most into the G fund anticipating a big drop and then my eoy retirement.

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 10:32 PM

rofl

Cut that cord!

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 10:42 PM

rofl

Cut that cord!

OH GOD !!!

I'm down $100K

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

[Linked Image]

This is a redneck forum, you should probably explain yourself more.

For the rednecks, money printing is bad. More dollars = dollars worth less. Inflation IS the increase in money supply. More money chasing the same goods means prices go up.

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 10:55 PM

Not open today.

Re: Stock Market - 02/12/22 11:00 PM

there are no rules..............takewhat you can, steal the rest. our leaders have no honor. giddyup

Re: Stock Market - 02/14/22 03:11 PM

Today could be a wild day.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/aboutthefed/boardmeetings/20220214closed.htm

Re: Stock Market - 02/14/22 09:20 PM

barf

Re: Stock Market - 02/14/22 09:53 PM

😳

Re: Stock Market - 02/23/22 09:33 PM

eek2 I don't recommend looking at your 401ks today.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Stock Market - 02/23/22 09:57 PM

For fun I have a very tiny small 4 stock spec portfolio on the cash app. $150 total invested. Got up to $250 and down to $108 now. And one is Tesla that is still up 18%. Got some real winners in there...One is down 79%. smirk

Re: Stock Market - 02/23/22 10:04 PM

I moved most of my TSP account into the G fund mid-December anticipating a new year crash.

Re: Stock Market - 02/23/22 10:05 PM

eek2 I don't recommend looking at your 401ks today.

Yep, going to be a chit show for a while.

Re: Stock Market - 02/23/22 10:15 PM

If the Dow will get back down to 30k then my next DCA will kick in

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 12:52 AM

Don’t tell Buzz, he may have a stroke.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 01:56 AM

I thought he told his broker to go all cash last year

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Txduckman

I thought he told his broker to go all cash last year

[Linked Image]

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 02:36 AM

rofl

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 02:46 AM

I have 3 brokerage accounts. I dumped all my Home Depot yesterday. I might take gains in Microsoft and UPS tomorrow.
Posted By: Curly

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 03:16 AM

Ugly 2022

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 03:50 AM

Margin selling in the morning:

[Linked Image]

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 03:59 AM

There will be 2 bloodbaths tomorrow morning.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 04:31 AM

I finally decided I was ready to play this past weekend…. just as everything is crashing lol. Any of you guys trade options?

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 06:09 AM

Futures at midnight. Bad as expected, but I expected much worse with the start of a full scale invasion on Ukraine. Lots of time to get worse between now and morning though.

DOW 32,450.90 -680.9 -2.06%

S&P500 4,139.30 -86.2 -2.04%
Posted By: tlk

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 12:46 PM

Welcome to the Bear market - been here many times before - sit tight and do not panic -

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 12:49 PM

Oil is energy. Play there.

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 01:59 PM

Took the $100 I had left and cashed out

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
Welcome to the Bear market - been here many times before - sit tight and do not panic -

The smart folks are picking up some bargains.

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 02:25 PM

Took the $100 I had left and cashed out

Your gonna need that for a tank of fuel for the Vette!

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 02:32 PM

I bet the Dow drops to 31000 today...and that wont even be the bottom. It's going to be a rough ride.

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 02:34 PM

I bet the Dow drops to 31000 today...and that wont even be the bottom. It's going to be a rough ride.

If it gets into the 30's then I'm putting 10% of what's sidelined back in

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 03:14 PM

If it gets into the 30's then I'm putting 10% of what's sidelined back in

That will be a great buying opportunity if it happens but I would bet against it…..

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

It's really not that bad for what is going on. At least not that bad yet. I was buying off my watch list as fast as I could this morning but it started recovering from the opening faster than I could get all my orders in. I had cancelled my limit orders last night in case there was a big extended free fall.

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 04:19 PM

Wait until someone claims that saw it coming and sold.

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 04:39 PM

"Buy on the sound of cannons, sell on the sound of trumpets" Kind of has a literal meaning today.

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 04:43 PM

Wait until someone claims that saw it coming and sold.

Most of the financial analysts forecasted a big downturn this year but not due to reasons of war.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 08:42 PM

Dow just went green....Hope nobody sold this morning.

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Old Shakie
Dow just went green....Hope nobody sold this morning.

All three indices closed green. I knew this morning was a good buying opportunity and would recover, but did not expect it to move this fast. I had been wanting to start a new long holding of Lithium/Battery/Rare Earth investments and grabbed that opportunity this morning at open. I'm well into the green on those.

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 09:13 PM

From a stocks perspective, today was an amazing day to watch unfold. What was it, like an 800-900 point swing on the Dow and 600-700 on the Nasdaq? Why such a huge swing, so late today?

Charlie

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 09:18 PM

The wild ride isn't over. Oil/gas came back down which shifted the market, also I believe that people were watching others take refuge in treasuries which helps adjust interest rate implications (potentially). I expect to see red this week in the markets and green in the commodities

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
From a stocks perspective, today was an amazing day to watch unfold. What was it, like an 800-900 point swing on the Dow and 600-700 on the Nasdaq? Why such a huge swing, so late today?

Charlie

It was fun to watch. I think the big turn back was when it became obvious there was not going to be the full mother of all sanctions originally promised. Specifically Russia not being removed from SWIFT. No sanctions on Russian oil or gas. Also, investors perhaps started thinking the Feds will be more dovish on rates and policy due to current events. And I agree, the wild ride isn't over.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 09:26 PM

Joe B. also fully committed to no US troops in Ukraine fighting Russia at his 2:00pm presser, markets turned sharply right after that..

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 10:28 PM

Feds will be more dovish on rates and policy due to current events.

I think there's alot to this statement.

Charlie

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 11:15 PM

Pleasantly surprised at the end of the day.

Re: Stock Market - 02/24/22 11:21 PM

I am just wondering if the reason the market rebounded is because nobody knows where else to put money. After so long the market being the only place to actually make any folks don't know what else to do? Some are in for a rude awakening.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Stock Market - 02/25/22 02:43 PM

Interesting stats from my financial guy

[Linked Image]

Re: Stock Market - 02/25/22 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Paluxy
Interesting stats from my financial guy

[Linked Image]

Not surprising at all.

Corona fall made a few millions

Re: Stock Market - 02/25/22 06:49 PM

On a roll today. cheers
Posted By: freerange

Re: Stock Market - 02/25/22 08:40 PM

So how many of yalls crystal balls predicted today?

Re: Stock Market - 02/25/22 09:20 PM

Just like I said. Where else are people going to put their money and maybe it will grow? Sure as hell aren't CD's. All of a sudden a few folks buy some stocks. Then a few more. It turns into a feeding frenzy. What happens next week when they wonder what did I do Friday?

Re: Stock Market - 03/08/22 05:23 PM

Love how the market is rebounding when we say we are cutting off Russian oil, WTI is going to $130+, and we are going to get more supply from Venezuela and Iran. Speculation is laughable at the moment, no way earnings stay high on most companies with cost of transport alone not to mention components

Re: Stock Market - 03/08/22 05:28 PM

JMO - The potato should have threatened cutting off the oil when they started amassing on the border and cut it immediately when they crossed over. I'm thinking this would have kept gas below $4... here at least.

Re: Stock Market - 03/08/22 05:31 PM

this high oil priceabout guarantees no interest rate hike from the fed

Re: Stock Market - 03/08/22 05:32 PM

Disagree

Re: Stock Market - 03/08/22 06:12 PM

Disagree

X2
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Stock Market - 03/08/22 06:17 PM

Disagree

X2

x3

Re: Stock Market - 03/08/22 06:19 PM

We were warned.

Trump warned Germany that dependence on Russian oil was going to be a disaster. They laughed at him. We had energy independence, Biden ended that. The election was stolen, not because of Trump's personality, but because he was spoiling the DS's plans. Americans had better get ready for a fight.

Re: Stock Market - 03/09/22 11:54 PM

Amazon announces 20-for-1 stock split

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/amazon-announces-20-1-stock-215510121.html

2,785.58 +65.29 (+2.40%)
At close: 04:00PM EST

2,977.10 +191.52 (+6.88%)
After hours: 6:53PM EST

Re: Stock Market - 03/10/22 02:38 AM

Amazon announces 20-for-1 stock split

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/amazon-announces-20-1-stock-215510121.html

2,785.58 +65.29 (+2.40%)
At close: 04:00PM EST

2,977.10 +191.52 (+6.88%)
After hours: 6:53PM EST

Well crap. I had a limit order yesterday for some Amazon shares that got within $7 of hitting and so did not fill. bang

Re: Stock Market - 03/10/22 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

We were warned.

Trump warned Germany that dependence on Russian oil was going to be a disaster. They laughed at him. We had energy independence, Biden ended that. The election was stolen, not because of Trump's personality, but because he was spoiling the DS's plans. Americans had better get ready for a fight.

We might just be fighting domestically and overseas.

Re: Stock Market - 03/10/22 06:25 PM

They will raise until the recession starts…… which will be here sooner than later IMO…..
Posted By: Remo

Re: Stock Market - 04/06/22 08:37 PM

Petroteq Tender offer to buy shares:
https://www.marketscreener.com/quot...el-per-day-Oil-Sands-Extractio-39970525/

Re: Stock Market - 04/06/22 09:03 PM

Holding.

Re: Stock Market - 04/06/22 09:16 PM

Holding.

Your holding Petroteq Energy stock? confused2

Re: Stock Market - 04/06/22 09:52 PM

Holding.

Well yes I am! banana2 Hoping for the tender to go thru on April 14

Re: Stock Market - 04/06/22 11:14 PM

Holding.

Well, good luck to you and Bill. I hope y'all make a bunch of money on it.

Re: Stock Market - 04/07/22 01:10 AM

Holding.

Well, good luck to you and Bill. I hope y'all make a bunch of money on it.

Sniper I all ready made a bunch. I had been tracking it for a number of years and had purchased 150 k shares at 0.11. When the price got to .41 I sold most of my shares. Kept 30k to let it ride and see if the buy out goes thru.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum