Texas Hunting Forum

To-Dos in Boston?

Posted By: ZK-315

To-Dos in Boston? - 12/02/21 08:38 PM

I'm headed to Boston later next week for a short work trip. Flying in to Boston Wednesday for an afternoon meeting then a different meeting all day Thursday. The bride decided she wanted to fly out Friday to meet me since she's never been to Boston and it's never really been a place we've really looked into going to visit for a regular vacation.

It'll be a short lived trip, but we pretty much have Friday afternoon through Sunday mid-day to do whatever.

Any recommendations on good eats in the area or things to go see and do? The primary things I've found online are walking tours, ghost tours, trolley rides, and sunset cruises. Not knocking those, but curious if any of yall have been to Boston and what was worth seeing.
Posted By: My Time to Hunt

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/02/21 08:42 PM

Make sure your life insurance is paid up!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/02/21 08:49 PM

The lobster is great almost anywhere.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/02/21 08:52 PM

My condolences…spent several weeks there for work. Hated it. Good oysters & lobster rolls. Traffic is “wicked, airport sucks & most locals were clowns.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/02/21 08:59 PM

The U.S.S. Constitution and Battle Road if you like military history.

U.S.S. Constitution

Battle Road
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/02/21 09:03 PM

If you are a baseball fan, take a tour of Fenway park. We took one with the wife and kids, and I loved it. Lots of great baseball history there. We stayed in the Hotel Buckminster, an old school hotel, where they say was the meeting place where the players met to throw the 1919 World Series. I was in awe for the entire ball park tour. I think the hotel is closed now, though.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/02/21 09:06 PM

If you like Italian food then the North End is the place to be.
Posted By: WarEagle

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/02/21 09:35 PM

If it’s not too cold walking tour of historic sites , ours ended at a historic tavern . Fenway Park tour
Posted By: nsmike

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/02/21 09:42 PM

You could do the Freedom Trail walking tour or go out to Lexington Common (Lexington Battle Green) and see where the Revolution started. If you go to Lexington visit Buckman Tavern, and dine at the Meeting House, Buckman is now a museum, and the Meeting House is located in the Inn at Hastings Park, The patriots that started this country patronized both places.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/02/21 09:48 PM

Regina Pizza on the north side of Boston, Thacher Street. They are a chain now, but the original one is awesome. Beer by the pitcher. We were there in the summer, so the cold beer was a great way to end the hot day.

We walked the Liberty Trail (self guided). Get an Uber to get to the Bunker Hill monument. Walking that hill sucked.

Posted By: Adchunts

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/02/21 10:06 PM

Faneuil Hall is a good place to poke around with the wife. I like the aquarium as well, followed by lunch/dinner at Legal Seafood next door. Sam Adams brewery is worth a visit in Jamaica Plain.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 12:12 AM

Things to do in Boston, rent a car and gtfo of there asap. The people are a-holes up there.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 12:19 AM

Get a different job so you don't have to partake in short work trips there BUT since we're talking about partaking...

https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/ascend-2
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 12:37 AM

Chad's right with the Fenway tour it's amazing. Our North End favorite restaurant is Giacomo's (Italian) but it's really small and we have waited up to two hours to get in but we think it's worth it. A block away is Mike's Pastries, also normally busy but doesn't take too long. Whale watching boats go out pretty frequently, Quincy Market is a pretty cool really old area you can walk around, Have fun with those Yankees they're not as bad as these codgers say...
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 12:39 AM

Lobster Rolls and strippers were the only things I ever found to my liking but my god were those two things worth the trip flehan

The talk funny and most of the people are rude so I’d stuff my face with lobsters and stay in the hotel room now,
Posted By: PappawRock

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 12:42 AM

The way things are going I'd say tea party...
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 12:45 AM

best thing I did in boston was to catch a plane out of there.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 12:46 AM

Get out as fast as you can.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 02:00 AM

Some good info and is much appreciated. I’ll get to looking into some of these.

Boston is obviously not my first choice of vacation spots but my company is heavily invested in metal 3D printing and the main HQ for that particular company is there.
Posted By: erathar

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 02:02 AM

Great post. We are planning a trip next year.
Posted By: FayetteCo

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 02:22 AM

Visit USS Constitution. Old Ironsides. Oldest US Navy vessel still on active rolls.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by FayetteCo
Visit USS Constitution. Old Ironsides. Oldest US Navy vessel still on active rolls.

USS Cassin Young is nearby. He could see that to.

Lobster was awesome!

Lost my mind over the traffic. I won’t complain about Dallas ever again.

We did a private Segway tour. They asked us what we wanted to see. Saved wear and tear on my sore feet.

FWIW, I won’t need to go back.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 12:46 PM

I enjoyed seeing Boston. If you like American history there's plenty to see and do. The seafood is great. I'd hit the harbor too, always wanted to go to Gloucester and check that out.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 01:30 PM

MIT Science and Technology Museum
Harvard
Boston Tea Party Ship (get the party started again)
Samuel Adams Brewery tour

http://mooorestaurant.com/
http://www.teatroboston.com/

Go Boston Card ("tour card")

Freedom Trail
Fenway Park
Martha's Vineyard
New England Aquarium
Making Way for Ducklings Statues
Statue of Samuel Adams
Posted By: kmon11

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 01:58 PM

Some good ones mentioned, will add Wayside Inn, a little bit out of town but how often do you eat at a place from the 1600s. The company we were there with took us there for dinner.

Food was good and something about the Inn Longfellow wrote of in Tales of the Wayside Inn.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 02:01 PM

Don't forget the baked beans!
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 04:17 PM

I went to college there at Northeastern University and know the town well! Lots of great things to do there.

North End for Italian food, followed by Mike's Pastries for dessert, if that's up your alley. If you like wicked pissa Clam Chowdah, Legal Seafood makes some of the best (served at inaugurations of most Presidents, or at least used to be).

If you want to do some walking/shopping, areas around the Prudential building, Newbury St, Boylston, is a good place for that.

Fenway tour is highly recommended. Best to see a game live there someday - only a couple parks that compare.

Samuel Adams tour is fun. Cheers bar is a fun place for a beer and pic, if you liked the show. Prudential top floor has a restaurant and bar - nice place to grab a bite and a drink and overlook the city.

Museums - MFA is incredible, Gardner is great also - huge art heist years and years ago that you may have heard of https://www.gardnermuseum.org/about/isabella-stewart-gardner

Freedom trail is cool

The Granary Burying Ground in Massachusetts is the city of Boston's third-oldest cemetery, founded in 1660 and located on Tremont Street. It is the final resting place for many notable Revolutionary War-era patriots, including Paul Revere, the five victims of the Boston Massacre, and three signers of the Declaration of Independence: Samuel Adams, John Hancock, and Robert Treat Paine. The cemetery has 2,345 grave-markers, but historians estimate that as many as 5,000 people are buried in it.[1] The cemetery is adjacent to Park Street Church, behind the Boston Athenaeum and immediately across from Suffolk University Law School. It is a site on Boston's Freedom Trail.

Walk through Boston Public Garden/Common (you can do the Cheers thing, graveyard, and Freedom Trail all together since this is all centrally located)

Anthony's Pier 4 Cafe - Used to be one of the finer places to eat. Then it burned down. Not sure of the rebuild is as worthy, but it used to be one of the finer seafood joints in town.

Capital Grille was another favorite of a lot of folks I know. Marios also.

If you are driving around the outside of the city (Lexington as others mentioned) Walden Pond is a cool place to check off your list, if you or the bride liked Thoreau...just down the road from Lexington

Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Don't forget the baked beans!

And the cream pie up
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 06:07 PM

Tons of history. Lots of good ideas on here. There was a restaurant called Skipjack I liked and been to several times.

I’ve found TripAdisor very helpful.
Posted By: Greg

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 06:26 PM

You could always go park your car in Harvard Yard… it’s wicked pissah!
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 06:35 PM

Shocked no one has mentioned to get a (Chowder)CHOWDA Bowl at that famous downtown restaurant. 3 story rickety seafood brownstone.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: To-Dos in Boston? - 12/03/21 06:38 PM

When you're there think the Gloucester Men from the movie, A Perfect Storm but just a bit more rude and you'll be well calibrated, LOL
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum