Texas Hunting Forum

Batteries For Diesel Truck

Posted By: skinnerback

Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 09:25 PM

I drive a 2015 F-350 with the 6.7 with a little over 100k on it. The lead acid batteries that it came with were garbage, but ran them until they died. Then replaced them with a set of AGM batteries from O'Reiley's (no choice, was stuck in Houston). Now they are dead.

So looked hard at Interstate and Optima (I'm an Interstate fan), and just ordered the Interstate AGM's. The Optima's were only $30 more per battery, but my gut said Interstate.
That's 2 sets of batteries in 6 years. I know I've been told that diesel's will chew up batteries, especially cheap batteries, but dadgum.

Question for you diesel owners: How much life are you getting out of your batteries, and what brands have been the best for you? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 09:31 PM

Have an AGM in my mini me diesel first one went 6 years. Replaced it with another AGM from walmart, an everstart, it has a 4 year free replacement warranty, but was $180 out the door. It is a big honking battery through.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 09:35 PM

Skinner there's only a few facilities that actually make batteries in the USA. They make multiple brands. Interstate and Optima if you want name brands. For those, in my opinion it's like picking between two same sized ice cubes about which one is better.

Otherwise just get the best version Walmart batteries and keep the receipt in the truck. Same for O'Reileys.

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 09:36 PM

Right now the Interstate AGM's are $220/each.

The Optima Red Top's are $250/each.

I've heard that Optima used to be #1, then deteriorated, but now supposedly back on top again. I don't sell batteries anymore and have been out of the loop, so no idea.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 09:36 PM

When I had my 2014 Duramax I had the original factory batteries in it for almost 5 yrs before they went bad. I thought that was pretty good battery life. The factory battery in my 2020 F-250 gas truck only lasted 18 months and I replaced it last month. Optima brand are good batteries but even with them you can get a bad one. One ranch I managed we put them in all the Mules, Jeeps, Mini-trucks, etc and had one brand new go bad in less than a month. It was replaced for free though. I did have good luck on a replacement battery for diesel tractor on a Duralast battery I bought from Autozone.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 09:37 PM

I got about 4.5 years and 90K miles on my chevy factory batteries. I am now on my second set on my 2015 diesel.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

I've heard that Optima used to be #1, then deteriorated, but now supposedly back on top again. I don't sell batteries anymore and have been out of the loop, so no idea.

You generally won't go wrong with either. It's a dice roll which one will last longer. Too many variables.
Posted By: Couzin

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 09:45 PM

Three years on batteries in a diesel is bout right. The yellow top Optima will likely give you a few more deep cycle uses but really does not out perform the regular AGM batteries. On a diesel get the highest cold amps you can find (800 and above). What will flat kill an AGM or Optima (also AGM just different) is overcharging so check your alternator and system to make sure the charging system is throwing a spec charge.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 09:47 PM

I’ve never gotten more than 3 years from the batteries in my Ford diesels. Used to be just 2 years until the 2014, it got 3 years. The ‘19 is still on the original batteries, but will probably change them this winter. I have always just replaced with the Ford batteries, but was also thinking about AGM this time. Tired of the acid leaking and corroding the terminals and hold down bracket.

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Couzin
Three years on batteries in a diesel is bout right. The yellow top Optima will likely give you a few more deep cycle uses but really does not out perform the regular AGM batteries. On a diesel get the highest cold amps you can find (800 and above). What will flat kill an AGM or Optima (also AGM just different) is overcharging so check your alternator and system to make sure the charging system is throwing a spec charge.

Yes Sir, first thing I did when my truck wouldn't start was put a meter on it before & after starting. Would not start at 12.36V, did a bunch of reading and 12.36V is about 75% fully charged. Put a charger on it and fired her up. Checked the voltage again to make sure it wasn't the alternator. While running I'm getting 14.2V, which is exactly what I'm supposed to be getting if the alternator is good. They just won't hold a charge overnight anymore. 12.36V will start a gasser, but not this diesel. It is the far superior 6.7 L Power Stroke, so I guess it takes fully charged batteries to crank the Mike Tyson of diesel engines. grin

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Tired of the acid leaking and corroding the terminals and hold down bracket.

Exactly why I went with AGM's. up No more issues.
Posted By: MRR

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 10:04 PM

Not on a diesel but I had an interstate battery last for 13 years before it died, never seen any other battery last more than 4 years
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 10:05 PM

Skinner, same truck and in the same exact boat.

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by MRR
Not on a diesel but I had an interstate battery last for 13 years before it died, never seen any other battery last more than 4 years

Not surprised at all. I gave up on the Neverstarts from Wal-Mart decades ago because they never lasted, and went with Interstates. They are great batteries and have done me well.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 10:07 PM

I drive a 2015 F-350 with the 6.7 with a little over 100k on it. The lead acid batteries that it came with were garbage, but ran them until they died. Then replaced them with a set of AGM batteries from O'Reiley's (no choice, was stuck in Houston). Now they are dead.

So looked hard at Interstate and Optima (I'm an Interstate fan), and just ordered the Interstate AGM's. The Optima's were only $30 more per battery, but my gut said Interstate.
That's 2 sets of batteries in 6 years. I know I've been told that diesel's will chew up batteries, especially cheap batteries, but dadgum.

Question for you diesel owners: How much life are you getting out of your batteries, and what brands have been the best for you? Thanks in advance.

I’m running the interstate AGM. Think I’m on year 5. FYI in normal temps You can start and run your truck off one incase you get stuck and half to hike a half a mile to a tractor with a dead battery. I was curious if it would start and run with one.

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Skinner, same truck and in the same exact boat.

Aw heck. Hopefully didn't leave you stranded somewhere.

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I’m running the interstate AGM. Think I’m on year 5. FYI in normal temps You can start and run your truck off one incase you get stuck and half to hike a half a mile to a tractor with a dead battery. I was curious if it would start and run with one.

LOL, that's good to know.

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 10:24 PM

Where do y’all buy the Interstate AGM batteries?

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 10:26 PM

From my local Discount Auto Parts here in Rockport, Mom & Pop's. They don't keep them in stock, but can order them.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/22/21 11:59 PM

I’ve got 7 years and 170,000 miles on a refurbished set of Northstar AGM’s.

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/23/21 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig

eek2
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/23/21 12:56 AM

eek2

I paid $200 for $700 worth of batteries. It’s going to hurt when these need replacing

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/23/21 01:23 AM

eek2

I paid $200 for $700 worth of batteries. It’s going to hurt when these need replacing

I looked hard at Northstar Lithium refurbs for my electric hunting buggy, but didn't pull the trigger. I want to buy new lithium batteries for it and be done, but $6k is too rich for my blood.

My electric buggy is still sitting in my garage waiting on me.

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/23/21 02:31 AM

Interstate
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/23/21 03:12 AM

Interstate still makes a good battery, but they don’t stand out like they used to. Johnson Controls is the mothership that builds them. I still have one shop running Interstates, and on Ford 6.7’s we get 3-4 years on them. We are very hard on batteries, and also buy a lot of group 31’s for the big engines. I have found over the years that Deka is somewhat longer lasting for us overall in the group 65’s (Ford 6.7) and also the group 31’s. The premium NAPA batteries come off the Deka line, and I keep an inventory of them in all my other shops, run them in my personal equipment and pay as well. All manufacturers produce batteries with different labels, but they are not all created equal. I’m not sure where the pickups end up with the replacement batteries, as we usually sell them with their second set of batteries in them at 4 years and 200,000-225,000 miles.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/23/21 04:17 PM

A timely post for me. The factory set lasted, I think, about four years. The second set is about done. My truck is a 2011 with just over 100k miles.

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/23/21 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
Interstate still makes a good battery, but they don’t stand out like they used to. Johnson Controls is the mothership that builds them. I still have one shop running Interstates, and on Ford 6.7’s we get 3-4 years on them. We are very hard on batteries, and also buy a lot of group 31’s for the big engines. I have found over the years that Deka is somewhat longer lasting for us overall in the group 65’s (Ford 6.7) and also the group 31’s. The premium NAPA batteries come off the Deka line, and I keep an inventory of them in all my other shops, run them in my personal equipment and pay as well. All manufacturers produce batteries with different labels, but they are not all created equal. I’m not sure where the pickups end up with the replacement batteries, as we usually sell them with their second set of batteries in them at 4 years and 200,000-225,000 miles.

What’s the difference between group 65 and group 31? Are you using the NAPA AGM?
Posted By: Couzin

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/26/21 04:24 PM

Group 31 is similar in size but taller than a group 65. The 31 uses 3/8 posts instead of the standard post on the 65. Might have to do some engineering to make them fit. The 31s will deep cycle a little better IMHO.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/26/21 04:29 PM

This is going to sound a bit crazy but I've had very good luck with all my vehicles, tractor, UTV, mowers, etc with batteries from Wal-Mart. Cheaper than all the others and last just as long.
Just put a set in my 05' duramax last year for about $225 and they come with 3 year free replacement which is as good a warranty as you can find nowadays

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/26/21 06:06 PM

MTZ-65 comes with 4 year warranty, technically you pay for it though

Re: Batteries For Diesel Truck - 10/26/21 06:26 PM

I went with the Interstate AGM’s, picking up today.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum