Texas Hunting Forum

Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out

Posted By: fredeboy

Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 04:43 PM

Goldee's is #1 Will not stand in that line for awhile! LOL
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 04:46 PM

I wanted to try Goldee's for about a year now, but haven't committed to driving out there and standing in line yet. I suppose it will only get worse, but I need to try it.

Surprised that Heim and Pecan Lodge are not on the Top 50. Pecan Lodge especially- they're brisket is among the best I've ever had.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 04:50 PM

Will one of you post up at least the top ten?

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
I wanted to try Goldee's for about a year now, but haven't committed to driving out there and standing in line yet. I suppose it will only get worse, but I need to try it.

Surprised that Heim and Pecan Lodge are not on the Top 50. Pecan Lodge especially- they're brisket is among the best I've ever had.

The one missing that really surprises me is 407
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 04:58 PM

https://www.texasmonthly.com/interactive/top-50-bbq-2021/
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by fredeboy

Truth! Wouldn’t be surprised if the mask-optional policy had something to do with that.

I’ve eaten there a bunch, and the food hasn’t missed the mark a single time.
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 05:02 PM

BBQ is highly subjective topic. Ask 10 people who has the best BBQ, and you'll most likely get 10 different answers.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by MBradford
BBQ is highly subjective topic. Ask 10 people who has the best BBQ, and you'll most likely get 10 different answers.

absolutely.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 05:12 PM

Several were closed.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 05:47 PM

Pecan lodge has best brisket. All around I will take Terry Blacks. Heim, in Dallas sucks in my opinion.

As stated above, BBQ is very subjective.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 05:55 PM

Seguin having a restaurant in anyone's Top Ten is a huge caught me off guard here.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Seguin having a restaurant in anyone's Top Ten is a huge caught me off guard here.

Arnesto also just really recently opened that location, he has been doing a food truck for a long time. I follow him on Instagram and his Sunday specials look amazing.
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 05:58 PM

I frequent Truth (#3) quite frequently. It is divine. Pinkerton's is also very good, never even heard of Goldee's though.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 06:04 PM

too many try to get too "cute" with their BBQ

if I want Korean ribs, I'll go to a Korean rib/wing joint
Posted By: DeRico

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 06:07 PM

Lmao most of the "best" rated are in Austin, go figure. rolleyes
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 06:07 PM

Subjective it may be, but 407 definitely had the best BBQ and sides I’ve had. Over the years when I lived in Houston, I really liked the Luling City Mkt BBQ joint on Richmond at the 610 west loop. And I really liked the BBQ place on Sawdust Road at the Woodland, just west of I-45. The name escapes me.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 06:08 PM

Even my favorite places can be hit or miss and I agree it’s very subjective.

My favorite places:

Louie Mueller
Blacks
Smitty’s
Smoke Sessions
Hutchins

Going to try Snows, Goldee’s and Panther City soon.
Posted By: GunsUp18

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 06:51 PM

Overall solid list. Interstellar in the Top 10 threw me off though. Not because it's bad as I've never had it, but not many folks talk about it.

DFW was well represented with 13 joints overall and 3 in the top 10.

I personally think Dayne's should have made top 10 and I think 407 should have made Top 50.

For those interested in this type of discussion I have a BBQ YouTube channel that is starting to really take off. Fun little side hustle that will hopefully leads to an earlier retirement. I would appreciate anyone interested in subscribing. I film cooks in my backyard and showcase BBQ Joints. Out of the 10 Top 10 I have video reviews of 7 of them. I created a playlist of joints I've filmed reviews on from the Top 50 as well.

Bowers Barbecue
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 06:54 PM

Leaving 407 off the list is a travesty.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565

My favorite places:

Louie Mueller
Blacks
Smitty’s
Smoke Sessions
Hutchins

If you haven't tried it Dayne's is worth putting on your list. I put them and Goldee's at one and two! cheers

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen

Yep. He sent me a care package. Every disk just kept getting better. Most Texas joints never even try on pulled pork.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 07:14 PM

Lulling, City Market has great BBQ.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 07:21 PM

The Fort Worth BBQ scene is great these days. Lot's of excellent choices.
Posted By: Derek

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 07:23 PM

I went to Goldees 3-4 weeks ago. Wait was about 30 minutes. Small dining area adds to the wait. But now that they made #1 I probably wouldn't attempt to go again with what the line will be now.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by DeRico
Lmao most of the "best" rated are in Austin, go figure. rolleyes

While it is more than any other city, 7 of the top 50 isn't exactly "most" of the list. But for a city that takes barbecue as seriously as it does, that doesn't seem too overrepresented.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 07:32 PM

My agency has a office in Wolfforth, so i frequent #8 Evie Mays quite a bit. It is legit, never disappoints.

Stanleys in Tyler is decent as well, but IDK about top 50 worthy.

Those are the only two i have ever been to, have not even heard of most of them.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 07:53 PM

My BBQ blows any of these jokers out of the water. Let me know if you want some $40 a pound brisket to verify.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 08:36 PM

^^ It is crazy that quality brisket is close to $30 per pound these days. As a guy who smokes meat and appreciates good quality and understands the length of time to cook good barbecue, it's still hard to fathom that one of the toughest cuts of meat can cost as much as some steaks.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 09:37 PM

I sold truckloads of 119 briskets for $0.75 a lb.

but this was back when our money had some value to it
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 10:25 PM

ill pass on the the cali Q
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 10:55 PM

It isn’t a list without 407…
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 11:31 PM

Agree. I tried it a couple of months ago and some of the best brisket I've had. Very friendly people as well.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/18/21 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Big Fitz

Agree. I tried it a couple of months ago and some of the best brisket I've had. Very friendly people as well.

The ribs are legit!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 12:07 AM

^^ It is crazy that quality brisket is close to $30 per pound these days. As a guy who smokes meat and appreciates good quality and understands the length of time to cook good barbecue, it's still hard to fathom that one of the toughest cuts of meat can cost as much as some steaks.

It’s become trendy, and every other dude is a brisket smoking expert. Supply and demand.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 12:42 AM

I find it interesting, scrolling down thru the list, not a single pellet oven to be found... roflmao

Sorry couldn't help it...
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 12:43 AM

My favorite places:

Louie Mueller
Blacks
Smitty’s
Smoke Sessions
Hutchins

Panther city is pretty good stuff. The smoked mac and cheese is legit.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Over the years when I lived in Houston, I really liked the Luling City Mkt BBQ joint on Richmond at the 610 west loop.

The few times I had gone there I always wondered how that place was still open.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by MBradford

Only thing you’ve ever said here that is correct. Congrats
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 01:05 AM

I would hate to be on the bbq list between the b itchin and flawed polls

It’s depends on the audience. Some places cater to hipsters and some cater to olds.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 01:09 AM

I have serious concerns about this “review”. Bretts was on the list in Katy. I go by it every day. I think they closed when the pandemic started. Looked on my way home tonight ain’t NOBODY there. Must have been some leftover frozen brisket cuz there ain’t no smoke either.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Longhunter
I find it interesting, scrolling down thru the list, not a single pellet oven to be found... roflmao

I’ll admit, I have a pellet grill and it has its place, BUT, it absolutely cannot match a brisket or ribs off a stick burner.

I have a smokehouse for my sausage and I’ll do brisket or ribs in it, and it beats the chit out of the pellet grill.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Walkabout
I have serious concerns about this “review”. Bretts was on the list in Katy. I go by it every day. I think they closed when the pandemic started. Looked on my way home tonight ain’t NOBODY there. Must have been some leftover frozen brisket cuz there ain’t no smoke either.

Not gonna see smoke rolling when they are closed Monday and Tuesday.
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by 603Country
Over the years when I lived in Houston, I really liked the Luling City Mkt BBQ joint on Richmond at the 610 west loop.

The few times I had gone there I always wondered how that place was still open.

True, If you cant Q then you pay and brag about how good it was…. Even if it sucked. Get a smoker and learn how to Q. Your friends will love you🍺

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Thundervee

I’ll admit, I have a pellet grill and it has its place, BUT, it absolutely cannot match a brisket or ribs off a stick burner.

I have a smokehouse for my sausage and I’ll do brisket or ribs in it, and it beats the chit out of the pellet grill.

That would be something to see a bbq place open with only using them; seeing like 30 pellet smokers all lined up. Be one hell of an electric bill.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 01:26 PM

Intersteller is top notch, they deserve their spot. My surprise was that Leroy and Lewis wasn't higher on the list.

BBQ has changed, it takes more than just the basic trinity and 3 sides these days. With that said some of the old school places that paved the way being left off is a whole other story.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 01:40 PM

"BBQ has changed, it takes more than just the basic trinity and 3 sides these days. With that said some of the old school places that paved the way being left off is a whole other story."

Yep.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 02:02 PM

"BBQ has changed, it takes more than just the basic trinity and 3 sides these days. With that said some of the old school places that paved the way being left off is a whole other story."

Yep.

The thing I always didn't ever get at the old school places was their sides. For me they were usually pretty bland and nothing was wow I really want some. This newer places have finally figured it out, once you master the meat you need to focus on the sides. What will set us from the others, having a unique side dish that isn't offered at others. I also like how some of them have specials with offerings of preparing the meat in different ways.
Posted By: GunsUp18

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 02:08 PM

Yep.

The thing I always didn't ever get at the old school places was their sides. For me they were usually pretty bland and nothing was wow I really want some. This newer places have finally figured it out, once you master the meat you need to focus on the sides. What will set us from the others, having a unique side dish that isn't offered at others. I also like how some of them have specials with offerings of preparing the meat in different ways.

This is it right here. Aaron Franklin laid the blue print with his Youtube videos and before long EVERYONE had great brisket and ribs. The ones who stand out today have a great menu from top to bottom. There is not a single item on Burnt Bean's menu that wasn't well thought out an executed perfectly. Evie Mae's in Lubbock is another example. I could not get a single slice of meat (no way that would actually happen though) and still have an incredible meal.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 02:36 PM

Yep.

Kreuz's Market was never better when they sold meat, avocados, cheese, onions, maters and gave away either crackers or bread. You would wash it down with root beer, Big Red or sweet tea. No potato salad, no cole slaw, no beans, no sauce and certainly no forks. It was all about the meatfest put on butcher paper and carried to the table within your own two hands. Luling always had a good sauce, but few if any ever purchased sides. Why oh why in the whole wide world would anyone want to fill up with taters & beans when the meat was what it was about?

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 09:21 PM

I agree completely. The sides at the old school institutions have always been unimaginative and pretty subpar. Bland potato salad, hard beans, runny cole slaw, with some Mrs. Baird's bread does nothing for me. The meat is the star of the show, but the sides shouldn't be a complete give up either.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 10:12 PM

I agree completely. The sides at the old school institutions have always been unimaginative and pretty subpar. Bland potato salad, hard beans, runny cole slaw, with some Mrs. Baird's bread does nothing for me. The meat is the star of the show, but the sides shouldn't be a complete give up either.

the food has changed to cater to the non Texans and their "fruity" sweet tooth. The land of fruits and nuts and invaded like a swarm of locust. The food has changed rofl
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 11:06 PM

My favorite places:

Louie Mueller
Blacks
Smitty’s
Smoke Sessions
Hutchins

blacks and smoke sessions, no bueno. over cooked and over seasoned to me

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/19/21 11:16 PM

Then there's the hickory stick, off the bone, cousins, Rufus bar and grill...all worthy.
Posted By: bjh

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/20/21 02:14 AM

Well i think Goldee's is in the building that Kenneth Middleton opened yrs. ago if so, they better have damned good bbq cause Kenneth had the best i ever ate. He also had the best Chilli you ever ate. We used to fish together. up When he quit making BBQ. I quit eating BBQ, cause none i tried tasted close to his!!!!
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/20/21 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Thundervee

My Traeger does a mighty fine job. The brisket never fails to slice like butter. Heat is heat and smoke is smoke. It’s probably way more economical to use wood smokers.
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/20/21 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Walkabout

His brisket is really good. I just hardly ever get it unless I want brisket right now because I figured out how to make it better than his.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/20/21 04:37 AM

Yep.

When I'm serious about eating BBQ, I just want meat & jalapenos.

I love some good sides, but wen I sit down to eat I want a plate full of meat....and some good mustard potato salad & a big glass of water.

No beans, coleslaw, bread.....just meat/jalapenos/onions/ mustard tater salad & water.

Posted By: txwildcat

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/20/21 11:19 AM

Had heard interstellar was good. Since it is #2 and just down the street, we'll have to give it a try. Usually, don't eat out for BBQ since I've been smoking.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/20/21 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by txwildcat
Had heard interstellar was good. Since it is #2 and just down the street, we'll have to give it a try. Usually, don't eat out for BBQ since I've been smoking.

you wont be disappointed, be sure to get the smoked scalloped potato's

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/20/21 02:43 PM

Texas lite is more pervasive than I imagined.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/23/21 01:12 PM

Goldees was in the news this morning. Line was insane yesterday and they sold out in one hour.

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/23/21 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Derek
Goldees was in the news this morning. Line was insane yesterday and they sold out in one hour.

Yep all those top places now will be busy like that for the next few months.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/23/21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by fredeboy

407 received honorable mention

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/23/21 04:14 PM

At Zavala’s. Free lone star beer for us line waiters
[Linked Image]

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/23/21 04:27 PM

Free burnt end samples while you wait and they are damn good
[Linked Image]

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/23/21 05:58 PM

Some on that list have been closed.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ is out - 10/23/21 06:03 PM

Lets see I could wait in line for an hour drinking free beer and eating burnt ends, when I get to the door I am full and buzzed, no need to go inside now grin

At Zavala’s. Free lone star beer for us line waiters
[Linked Image]

Free burnt end samples while you wait and they are damn good
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum