Texas Hunting Forum

Hurricane Ida 911 calls

Posted By: 603Country

Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 10:12 PM

So, if a person had been in Grand Isle, with this huge hurricane coming your way, evacuation would have been the thing to do, even if not mandatory. Friends from St Bernard Parish just told my wife that there have been 40 or more 911 calls from Grand Isle, asking for help. Is this a Darwin moment?
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 10:21 PM

I do not watch the news and I knew where it was going to hit.

I guess some people live under rocks.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 10:22 PM

I can understand wanting to stay but a Cat 4 is a game changer.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 10:54 PM

Happens every time. People are told to leave, think they know better, and get in over their heads. Then they call 911 and blame them when the good guys can't go out. Talk about absolutely destroying the lives of the dispatchers because they made a stupid decision.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 10:55 PM

You wouldn't tell me twice.

Pack a bag, honey, we're gone.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 10:57 PM

I would say "I am on way", as I batten the hatches, turn out the lights and declare the party is over until the sunshines again. clap
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 10:59 PM

There has never been a major hurricane where the bodies of at least some of those who refused to evacuate were not later found. Before they hit you always hear someone say something like "We rode out the last one so we'll ride this one out too." Then afterwards, if they're one of the lucky ones, you hear something along the lines "We'll never do that again."
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 11:00 PM

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRkmMoeU/
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 11:02 PM

I wonder how many of those support defunding police.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 11:07 PM

South Texas will be taking Ida refugees and North Texas Afghan refugees
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 11:10 PM

I would bet the highway to Grand Isle does not exist any longer. It was just a thin strip of sand and oyster shells.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide

I see you’re still supporting the CCP. That’s a shame.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/29/21 11:57 PM

I’m in Katy working with some Cajuns that live in Houma. Most stayed here. One of them went home. That kid is a nut, and I’ll bet he rides that storm just fine.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Thundervee

Say NO to Tictok yingyang
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Originally Posted by Thundervee

Say NO to Tictok yingyang

up

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 12:22 AM

Is TikTok any worse than Facebook, Twitter, Google, Apple?
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 12:54 AM

Maybe do some research and answer that question yourself?

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen85

Maybe do some research and answer that question yourself?

Like google research? I would be willing to say there ain’t much worse than Twitter or Facebook.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 02:42 AM

Top executives of it at their headquarters.

[Linked Image]

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 03:01 AM

I get it. It’s owned by Chinese.

Twitter banned the President of the United States and let’s the Taliban tweet. Facebook too.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 04:42 AM

hammer confused2 hammer confused2 hammer confused2 hammer confused2 hammer confused2 hammer confused2

realmad bang realmad bang realmad bang realmad bang realmad bang realmad bang realmad bang realmad bang

hammer confused2 hammer confused2 hammer confused2 hammer confused2 hammer confused2 hammer confused2

realmad bang realmad bang realmad bang realmad bang realmad bang realmad bang realmad bang realmad bang

Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 04:57 AM

Know a cajun before you judge one. 2cents
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 01:54 PM

My rule is, if Jim Cantore ain't there to report it's time to evacuate.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
So, if a person had been in Grand Isle, with this huge hurricane coming your way, evacuation would have been the thing to do, even if not mandatory. Friends from St Bernard Parish just told my wife that there have been 40 or more 911 calls from Grand Isle, asking for help. Is this a Darwin moment?

Just flat out STUPID and whatever happened to them they earned it.

Now, if someone couldn't get out for some reason that is a different story but to stay on their own accord is dumb as hell.
And I don't care if it was a Cat2 the night before......GET THE HELL OUT
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I’m in Katy working with some Cajuns that live in Houma. Most stayed here. One of them went home. That kid is a nut, and I’ll bet he rides that storm just fine.

You don't have one named Beau there by chance do you? My nephew has a machine tool business in Houma and shot me a text of them smoking some ribs where they were staying in Katy.

There are always going to be the knuckleheads that want to ride it out. Katrina fixed that problem, so now you have 40 phone calls for help vs 4000.

Charlie
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie
Happens every time. People are told to leave, think they know better, and get in over their heads. Then they call 911 and blame them when the good guys can't go out. Talk about absolutely destroying the lives of the dispatchers because they made a stupid decision.

This
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 05:37 PM

When the dispatchers start receiving "come and get me calls" before the eye of the hurricane eye has made landfall, that tells me these people are not the sharpest tacks in the box. People make choices in life and some are not too smart, but making the call that early is plain stupid and means you have no consideration for anyone but yourself.

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

You don't have one named Beau there by chance do you? My nephew has a machine tool business in Houma and shot me a text of them smoking some ribs where they were staying in Katy.

There are always going to be the knuckleheads that want to ride it out. Katrina fixed that problem, so now you have 40 phone calls for help vs 4000.

Charlie

Nope. No Beau.
Posted By: GeneralLefty

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 05:42 PM

Not very smart of them to stay...jus sayin'
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 05:53 PM

There was no mandatory evacuation and not everyone has the means to just jump up and leave with less than 24 hours' notice.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 06:32 PM

Use to be U.S. Coast Guard Hurricane Committee when I worked.

Most of their planning was based on wind speed of the tropical disturbance/hurricane. They used wind speed to determine when to shutdown the Houston /Galveston ship movements and shutdown the Inter Coastal Canal barge traffic. I told them where our docks were located, we would be under water before the hurricane got close to us.

When a hurricane forms in the Atlantic and with the tracking probabilities today you have a lot of time to plan and evacuate. When a hurricane forms in the Gulf, it is going ashore in 3 days. That is not enough time to evacuate Galveston County and Harris County.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 07:33 PM

National Hurricane Center flat out nailed this forecast 5-6 days in advance as far as intensity goes. They were dang close with the forecast track as well. Hats off to them. Not their fault if people (citizens and local politicians) don't take them seriously when they're putting out forecasts with dire language (something they don't do regularly).
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 07:56 PM

Guys there are a LOT of folks that are quite prepared/self sufficient/ready to ride out any major storm....and they do, but you never hear about them. The news is always on the dummies that are not actually prepared or in a situation where they are even closely capable..... and then cry for help. They make everyone look bad. Lots of folks ride out major hurricanes with zero need for help. I know many of them. They live in well built/overbuilt homes and have all of their chit together/not in flood danger. Everyone's situation is different. If you are not 100% prepared/capable in every aspect or scared, then you need to evacuate. If you are, then pop a top and enjoy the show.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Guys there are a LOT of folks that are quite prepared/self sufficient/ready to ride out any major storm....and they do, but you never hear about them. The news is always on the dummies that are not actually prepared or in a situation where they are even closely capable..... and then cry for help. They make everyone look bad. Lots of folks ride out major hurricanes with zero need for help. I know many of them. They live in well built/overbuilt homes and have all of their chit together/not in flood danger. Everyone's situation is different. If you are not 100% prepared/capable in every aspect or scared, then you need to evacuate. If you are, then pop a top and enjoy the show.

Yep you spot on Skinner....I too know several that never leave and are just fine. It’s old hat to them. Those are also the same people that don’t seek out anything from anybody. And also they want to be left alone. Some reporter shove a microphone in front of their face and said reporter may be needing some grill work....
That’s just how they roll.
Some fine outstanding people.

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by majekman

Yep you spot on Skinner....I too know several that never leave and are just fine. It’s old hat to them. Those are also the same people that don’t seek out anything from anybody. And also they want to be left alone. Some reporter shove a microphone in front of their face and said reporter may be needing some grill work....
That’s just how they roll.
Some fine outstanding people.

Yes Sir.

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 09:34 PM

I remember the folks that decided to ride out Hurricane Camille in the late 60’s. It was a bad decision. And Gulfport was more land than Grand isle, which is sand at the end of the road. I can’t imagine anyone with half a brain deciding to ride out a Cat 4.75 hurricane there. They could have called 911 before the hurricane got there.

That said, the wife and I decided to ride out a big one (forget which one) that ran right up I-45 when we lived on the north side of Houston. 75 miles of dirt between where we were and the Galveston beach, and we were still scared bad.

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 09:59 PM

I remember the folks that decided to ride out Hurricane Camille in the late 60’s. It was a bad decision. And Gulfport was more land than Grand isle, which is sand at the end of the road. I can’t imagine anyone with half a brain deciding to ride out a Cat 4.75 hurricane there. They could have called 911 before the hurricane got there.

That said, the wife and I decided to ride out a big one (forget which one) that ran right up I-45 when we lived on the north side of Houston. 75 miles of dirt between where we were and the Galveston beach, and we were still scared bad.

I've rode out quite a few storms on land.

I volunteered to ride out a Cat 1 Hurricane on a deep water facility (floater) . All evacuated except for skeleton crew to keep her afloat if got worse and we had to shut in and skin out.

Hit was solid from the East, bobbing around in the Gulf pretty fun. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Some hands puked their guts up clap Only thing that aggravated me was I was trying to post on the THF and Farmers Only.com but my chair kept rolling and bouncing back and forth in my little space, made it difficult and I may have misspelled.

Also aggravating...all staff was evacuated so if hungry, have to fend for yourself. Cool, gonna take care of my people. I worked and cooked on tug boats out of HS, their kitchen set up is different. Their cooking apparatuses are built to handle that. Most big offshore floaters are not. So, just bending over to grab a pot/pan becomes an issue when you lose your balance. Pop your head a couple of times and you'll learn. Trying to make a sauce, good luck.

Should have just served sandwiches but trying to cook in those conditions was fun as hell......until you had to clean up the mess, but whatever.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 10:18 PM

You be the man. cheers
Posted By: Payne

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 10:52 PM

roflmao skinner

My brother sent me pics of him bbqing in his driveway as Rita passed by

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 11:50 PM

We just loaded up two pallets of bottled water for one of the guys that works here and lives in Houma. When he can drive back in there, he’s taking one to a police department that asked him for it and one is for himself. He figures the pallet of water is good for a couple speeding tickets.

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/30/21 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Payne
roflmao skinner

My brother sent me pics of him bbqing in his driveway as Rita passed by

I like his style, Sir.

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/31/21 12:06 AM

He was a gamer, died on my birthday eight years ago.

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/31/21 03:24 AM

He was a gamer, died on my birthday eight years ago.

I am sorry Payne.

You will see him again someday, I believe that.

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/31/21 03:36 AM

Thanks, hurricane parties are epic if you know what you're doing

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/31/21 03:42 AM

We just loaded up two pallets of bottled water for one of the guys that works here and lives in Houma. When he can drive back in there, he’s taking one to a police department that asked him for it and one is for himself. He figures the pallet of water is good for a couple speeding tickets.

Houma and other towns got hit really hard. As usual the news is focused on a major city like New Orleans which fared pretty well this time. They are reaching for storm damage coverage.

Most of the heliports that I frequent are in Houma and Galliano. Pretty sure they are wiped out/in need of help.

Cajun people are strong hard working folks, like many of us here. They are our brothers & sisters. They will get things going again but they could also use some help, if you can.

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/31/21 03:45 AM

Thanks, hurricane parties are epic if you know what you're doing

Yes Sir.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/31/21 03:46 AM

Alicia is the storm that ran up I-45. I drove through it from D/FW to Houston. Hit the eye around Buffalo-Centerville area on I45. It was a Friday. I believe it was ‘83.

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/31/21 04:00 AM

Houma and other towns got hit really hard. As usual the news is focused on a major city like New Orleans which fared pretty well this time. They are reaching for storm damage coverage.

Most of the heliports that I frequent are in Houma and Galliano. Pretty sure they are wiped out/in need of help.

Cajun people are strong hard working folks, like many of us here. They are our brothers & sisters. They will get things going again but they could also use some help, if you can.

Dang right, they are. I enjoy working with those boys.

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/31/21 04:28 AM

In 1970 Hurricane Celia hit my home town of Aransas Pass. It was recorded as a Cat 3 storm, but that storm rating was crap. Celia was a bad biotch. Was most definitely a Cat 4 or more likely a Cat 5. I have a bunch of pictures, a Cat 3 storm doesn't pick up your shrimp boat and throw it over the levee and destroy your house too in Texas.

My Dad was a LEO at that time and volunteered to be on patrol. A 55 gallon drum went through the windshield of his patrol car and then some other debris knocked out the driver's side glass. Wind/rain pouring in. Dad said "Son, when all the glass was knocked out of my car and the rain was hitting me in the face, I figured it was time to turn back. He also said Son, I will never patrol another hurricane again, but there were some people that needed help and that was my job".

Posted By: PappawRock

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/31/21 04:42 AM

For coastal dwellers it seems like there's enough hurricanes for it always to be not if you'll get hit but when...

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/31/21 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by PappawRock
For coastal dwellers it seems like there's enough hurricanes for it always to be not if you'll get hit but when...

Death, taxes, hurricanes......

Life is good though no matter how you look at it.

Inshore/Offshore....we're all dealing with something.

Thank God for kids.
Posted By: PappawRock

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 08/31/21 05:00 AM

Thank God for kids.

Not enough rationale there for me to head that way but that's a superior attitude and deadly accuracy on life there SB...
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 09/03/21 07:47 PM

I'm from Houma and stayed, I don't know what's being reported, we're connected to the world by a thread right now, but Houma is ground zero. To be quite frank, this was the worst storm I've been through. Most of the people I know stayed, the ones that left are back home, the ones that have moved out years ago are back now helping.

It's easy to say get out, but in reality for most of us in this bayou community it's home, it's family, and it's everything we've worked for our entire lives. My wife worked through the storm at the local hospital, no way in hell was I leaving her behind, our kids were evacuated and safe. We're a strong bunch, disasters like this bring us together and make us even stronger. It'll be hell for quite a while, but we'll get past it, and life will return to normal. It's what we do.

One thing a hurricane will do is restore your faith in humanity when sometimes it seems like all is lost.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 09/03/21 08:39 PM

P
Originally Posted by Southtexas36
I'm from Houma and stayed, I don't know what's being reported, we're connected to the world by a thread right now, but Houma is ground zero. To be quite frank, this was the worst storm I've been through. Most of the people I know stayed, the ones that left are back home, the ones that have moved out years ago are back now helping.

It's easy to say get out, but in reality for most of us in this bayou community it's home, it's family, and it's everything we've worked for our entire lives. My wife worked through the storm at the local hospital, no way in hell was I leaving her behind, our kids were evacuated and safe. We're a strong bunch, disasters like this bring us together and make us even stronger. It'll be hell for quite a while, but we'll get past it, and life will return to normal. It's what we do.

One thing a hurricane will do is restore your faith in humanity when sometimes it seems like all is lost.

Great perspective and attitude. Good luck to y’all and stay safe

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 09/03/21 09:29 PM

My wife just showed me before and after pictures of Oak Alley. Terrible.

The BiL that recently lost his wife to the virus is in Mandeville and has no power and, until today, no water. No power for the well, but he has a generator now. He has an RV, but insists on staying in the hot muggy house rather than move to the RV and run the AC off another generator. I don’t believe he’s thinking clearly.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 09/03/21 11:42 PM

I get the Shreveport La. news and saw where 2 Alabama linemen were killed trying to restore power in Adger, Al. We need to be praying for the power crews.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 09/03/21 11:46 PM

Almost 50 dead in the northeast.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/idas-remnants-deluge-york-jersey-flooding-rain-tornadoes/story?id=79780365
Posted By: Stub

Re: Hurricane Ida 911 calls - 09/03/21 11:52 PM

Thank God for kids.

Yep and then there are Tornadoes, Blizzards, Wildfires, Tidal Waves. Lightning pick your flavor.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum