Texas Hunting Forum

Armadillo Blues

Posted By: HuntingTexas

Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 04:38 PM

One of these has tunnelled under my house and all of the sudden there’s probably a large wheelbarrow of dirt by the entrance to the hole. I read cayenne pepper may deter them. Wondering what those of you with experience did?
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 05:28 PM

Gasoline flame
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Gasoline flame

Not under the house
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 06:04 PM

Put a surveillance camera out there, bluetoothed to the phone.
When he shows up give him some bird shot.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Put a surveillance camera out there, bluetoothed to the phone.
When he shows up give him some bird shot.

Now who is wired? confused2
Posted By: ratdog

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 06:31 PM

$15.00 motion detector from Harbor Freight. Tonight when the detector goes off handle it as you see fit. smile
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ratdog
$15.00 motion detector from Harbor Freight. Tonight when the detector goes off handle it as you see fit. smile

Good idea

Lights don’t typically bother them

A 22 is not nearly as loud
Posted By: Gary Olson

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 06:37 PM

I've been dumping used kitty litter in holes around the property. The camera shows every critter about comes up, takes a sniff, and never comes back. The possum looked disappointed. The armadillo didn't stay around long.
Posted By: Texican

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 07:35 PM

Motion detector light. Then sneak behind and grab by tail. Relocate.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 08:02 PM

Fill the hole with castor oil
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Texican
Relocate.

By smashing hard against a tree. That's what my grandfather did. (He bought and sold horses and mules for the US Army in WWI.) Every old man I ever met that grew up on a horse hated armadillos with a purple passion.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 11:00 PM

.22 works wonders.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/28/21 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Olson
I've been dumping used kitty litter in holes around the property. The camera shows every critter about comes up, takes a sniff, and never comes back. The possum looked disappointed. The armadillo didn't stay around long.

That's exactly what I did. They left that night and never came back.

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by yotehater
Originally Posted by Gary Olson

That's exactly what I did. They left that night and never came back.

Well crap, now I’ve got to buy a cat to get rid of the armadillos.

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 12:37 AM

I did take about 2 cups of Orthene and put it about a foot into the hole earlier hoping when it comes out it won’t come back. That is some horrible smelling stuff. Like a paper mill in a container.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 02:09 AM

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 02:46 AM

That’s exactly why I don’t have cats. I’d rather have armadillos than smell that
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
That’s exactly why I don’t have cats. I’d rather have armadillos than smell that

No kidding. I can’t believe that grown men on this forum just admitted to having filthy cats in their home, along with their little turd boxes.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 02:54 AM

What kind of dog you got?
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
Originally Posted by ratdog

Good idea

Lights don’t typically bother them

A 22 is not nearly as loud

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 02:58 AM

Truth here.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

No kidding. I can’t believe that grown men on this forum just admitted to having filthy cats in their home, along with their little turd boxes.

^^^^This^^^^
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 04:23 AM

They’re not that hard to trap. Just get one of the rectangular live traps from tractor supply. Set it against the foundation of you house, stake a 2x6 on the opposite end of the door of the trap from the house slab, angle it away from the slab some, and when he comes walking around the house he walks along the board and into the trap. Seen it done many times. Like this:

[Linked Image]

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 05:34 AM

Y’all ever seen an armadillo jump? Now THAT is impressive roflmao

Now Now, I ain’t gonna go that far as to bash their manhood over a kitty cat, I’m just sayin I can’t do it. My ex wife rescued her old azz cat from my strangle hold after he had an “accident” on our bed once. We never got along anyway. Me and the cat too. roflmao I just have a thing about pets and having to deal with their waste. I won’t do it. I refuse to do it and I don’t give a dam who’s asking me TO do it. It’s beneath me and it ain’t happening. That’s what yards and lawnmowers are for. Dogs. No cats.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 06:00 AM

Some of these ideas have been painful to read. Water hose, fill the hole with water, kill it when it comes up for air. Done it hundreds of times.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/29/21 06:05 AM

Have you tried throwing a couple handfuls of moth balls down in the hole? Worked with skunks when they burrowed under my grandfathers house when I was a kid.
Posted By: Gary Olson

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/30/21 05:36 PM

Now that is some big assumptions you are posting about my lifestyle. scratch
The kittens are not in the house; and neither is their stink box. That is the wife's project in the outbuilding. wife
I just direct her to all the places on the property which need some wildlife repellent. Does wonders for the grass though.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Armadillo Blues - 08/30/21 05:46 PM

Slap Ya Mama seasoning. I put it around the perimeter of my camper. It keeps everything away.
Posted By: Learnin to fish

Re: Armadillo Blues - 09/04/21 09:24 PM

I bought one of these traps. Make sure and get the scented version. I set it up Thursday night for the first time. Caught one Thursday night and one last night. It’s expensive but beats “hunting” all night. Awesome trap!

https://www.thearmadillotrap.com

Re: Armadillo Blues - 09/04/21 09:33 PM

Plan to try one.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Armadillo Blues - 09/04/21 09:36 PM

Fixed income. Not in your budget.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Armadillo Blues - 09/04/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Some of these ideas have been painful to read. Water hose, fill the hole with water, kill it when it comes up for air. Done it hundreds of times.

Worked for skunk under my patio, but it was touch and go when it came out.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Armadillo Blues - 09/04/21 10:56 PM

To be fair, he just said used kitty litter. He didn't say who has to use it.

Texican's post reminded me of an armadillo incident in my much younger days. I had one digging up my yard and we finally saw it when we came home one night. I had my wife pull the car in front of the porch so I could use the headlights and I chased it and got it pinned against the fence. I grabbed it by the tail and it started thrashing around and damn near dislocated my shoulder. I could hear my wife in the car yelling out the window "get him honey!". I lost my grip on his tail and he got away. I was cussing and I could hear my wife laughing her head off in the car. Great memory.
Posted By: Grit

Re: Armadillo Blues - 09/05/21 06:43 PM

They're almost a necessity in the country. I have four inside and three that live full-time outside. They are great mousers and I have no issues with rodents anywhere. I don't need or want them in my truck or equipment. My wife does the boxes for the inside cats cause she knows I don't like it. You keep the boxes clean and there's zero smell. And I wouldn't call them filthy, my three dogs are the ones that smell! But I love them all.

As far as the little armour coats, I had some digging tunnels under my house by way of under the deck. There was no way to get to them so I let loose a few rounds of 12 gauge off the deck and haven't seen them since.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Armadillo Blues - 09/05/21 11:57 PM

I have never been a cat fan - I'm dog fan of Retrievers and German Shepherds that I have had all of my life. My wife brought home an orphaned stray cat. I love my wife so I tolerated the cat because he hung out with her and stayed pretty well clear of me. Then he darn near tripped me in the dark - pouncing on a scorpion about two feet ahead of my bare feet. He whacked it over and over until he gad it flattened out and quite dead. After making sure that I saw it, he left.

That cat must be able to hear scorpions, because he comes ripping into a room and gets any scorpion that gets inside. That cat takes out scorpions and other bugs long before we know that they are around. He has a litter box in the basement that I never smell because my wife deals with it.

I like this cat. My dogs like this cat.
Posted By: macec3(TX)

Re: Armadillo Blues - 09/06/21 11:29 AM

Had one here under the garage. I ran a water hose in the hole and turned on the water. Didn't take long. He came out and got lead poison. Problem solved.

Re: Armadillo Blues - 09/07/21 03:09 PM

Mine simply made new dens under my house. : bang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum