Texas Hunting Forum

Down sizing

Posted By: Hudbone

Down sizing - 05/25/21 11:16 AM

For the past 24 years, we have lived in a wonderful four bedroom home with about 3,500 SF of living area. We remodeled it in 2015 (down to the studs) and it is quite lovely. It is on a large, well landscaped & manicured lot which benefits from majestic oaks. Even so, I have been working on Wifeypoo to downsize.

She's found what she wants - a very nice 3,500 SF home with only two bedrooms. Oh my.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 11:24 AM

Hey, if it's available for sale, make sure there's nothing seriously wrong with it, and buy the dam thing. Call it downsizing by getting rid of some stuff when you move.

We got our 41 year old son to take 3 boxes of HIS stuff out of the attic last week. It helped that one box was his baseball cards. banana
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 12:18 PM

That's simply not right.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 12:23 PM

If home one is paid for, I’d stay put for a while.
You invested a lot of money there.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
For the past 24 years, we have lived in a wonderful four bedroom home with about 3,500 SF of living area. We remodeled it in 2015 (down to the studs) and it is quite lovely. It is on a large, well landscaped & manicured lot which benefits from majestic oaks. Even so, I have been working on Wifeypoo to downsize.

She's found what she wants - a very nice 3,500 SF home with only two bedrooms. Oh my.

WIll probably only have about 150 competing bids on it, Real Estate is insane

I hear first time home buyers need to go at least 30k over asking price to even be in the race for a house
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 12:26 PM

Yikes

3,500 sure seems like a lot to me

Glad you pay the tax bill on it and not me. lmao

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger

I hear first time home buyers need to go at least 30k over asking price to even be in the race for a house

That would work on a $100k-$125k house maybe down here.

I've heard a lot are selling for as much as 30% over the asking price and even more. I know of one, 1800sf in a decent area and nothing fancy that had a list price of $350k. My friend's son put in a bid of $450k and there were 38 other bids in 24 hours on it and the sell price was $495k. This was basically a track home on a 1/5 acre lot at most. SMDH
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

I've heard a lot are selling for as much as 30% over the asking price and even more. I know of one, 1800sf in a decent area and nothing fancy that had a list price of $350k. My friend's son put in a bid of $450k and there were 38 other bids in 24 hours on it and the sell price was $495k. This was basically a track home on a 1/5 acre lot at most. SMDH

280K for a 1500 sq ft old house from the early 70's not updated in Plano/Allen/McKinney area is going price, and that still needs updated. Stupid crazy prices
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 12:38 PM

Oh no, I love your house. The market is hot as hell, I bet you will get a small fortune for it...
Posted By: don k

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 12:42 PM

3500 to 3500 is down sizing?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 12:54 PM

I’d down size to Wy and Rockport.

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Go big or go home.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 12:57 PM

280K for a 1500 sq ft old house from the early 70's not updated in Plano/Allen/McKinney area is going price, and that still needs updated. Stupid crazy prices

I really feel for young couples, trying to get established. It shouldn't be this way.

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 01:08 PM

So by the time you remodel it decently you will be in it for somewhere between $225-$250 a square foot. Wow

No doubt it has gotten just out of control..............thank you to all the CA people coming here. barf

I just talked to a guy who is building their retirement home on his wife's home farm that will be under 3k sf living. The slab was $63k and his lumber bill he just paid yesterday was $99k. He has owned a plumbing company for over 40 years so he will do that and we will wire it and do the HVAC systems and there is no doubt he will not get it done for under $650k SMDH Of course the home they built in 1985 for $97k will sell for $350k+ today.
It is hard to believe we built our home 7.5 years ago for well under $100/sf and did it right using the best concrete man, framer, drywaller, cabinet maker, and standing seam metal roofer around. We the electrical, plumbing, HVAC, painting, concrete staining, and a couple other things and subbed the rest. I found out paying cash for certain things can save you about 10-15% on them. up

Folks, this is NOT A GOOD THING that is going on right now in our country!

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 01:08 PM

Tell me about it. My daughter in Georgia can't find a house in her price range.

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Go big or go home.

3500/2=1750

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 01:25 PM

Our house will likely sell for more than this one which is being obtained by treaty (word of mouth) with, egad, no realtor involved. We are getting away from a huge landscape maintenance and cost regimen to a home with no, zero, landscape maintenance required and a ton of privacy, all while being convenient to downtown NB. The view is actually more comprehensive at this one than the current one and Wifeypoo's required remodeling does not include moving any load bearing walls or anything to do with the kitchen. The space is segmented between the 2,500 SF main house and a somewhat detached casita where Mom could end up if need be. There are some issues to resolve, but I am working on them. Frankly, I can't believe this is even being made available.

Our WY and Rockport is 2 hours away -
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 01:32 PM

Congratulations!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 01:44 PM

Hudbone, you gave me grief over buying some expensive steaks, and here you are buying a hilltop mansion. You rascal...

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 01:45 PM

If this goes through, we'll have to have a THF house warming. Been looking for a reason to lure Max down here anyways.

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 01:50 PM

Beautiful place Hudbone!

Just don't sleep walk off that big rock or have a few too many and think you are 15 and can still jump off chit like that! grin

Hope it works out for you guys

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 01:58 PM

Our house will likely sell for more than this one which is being obtained by treaty (word of mouth) with, egad, no realtor involved. We are getting away from a huge landscape maintenance and cost regimen to a home with no, zero, landscape maintenance required and a ton of privacy, all while being convenient to downtown NB. The view is actually more comprehensive at this one than the current one and Wifeypoo's required remodeling does not include moving any load bearing walls or anything to do with the kitchen. The space is segmented between the 2,500 SF main house and a somewhat detached casita where Mom could end up if need be. There are some issues to resolve, but I am working on them. Frankly, I can't believe this is even being made available.

[Linked Image]

That’s a perfect house to practice mountain bow shots 😆.

My advice price it way higher than any comp in the neighborhood.

Last two houses in my neighborhood went for 87k and 100k over asking and where cash offers. Both houses had over 12 offers first day.

Don't underestimate peoples ability to cash up appraisal differences. Money is cheap right now and as inflation rises borrowed money today, gets real cheap later on. Just my thoughts which are just that thoughts
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 02:10 PM

as inflation rises borrowed money today, gets real cheap later on. Just my thoughts which are just that thoughts

Ive been thinking that very same thing myself lately.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 02:11 PM

Congrats Hud, like others have said ask more than you think you can get! and good luck
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Down sizing - 05/25/21 02:25 PM

Beautiful home.
Posted By: Black Horse

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 02:20 AM

Houses on the water here at Cedar Creek Lake...$322 per sq ft. And less than 6 in inventory. This lake has 300 mi of shoreline. Had friends buy and hold one in 2018 for 17 mo. Made 170k, net. This is insane to watch.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 02:54 AM

Wish we could sell. I work on the wife daily to move to Arizona. I’d love to leave this weather and job behind.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Wish we could sell. I work on the wife daily to move to Arizona. I’d love to leave this weather and job behind.

I support that decsion but it would suck.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 05:01 AM

Cool looking place, Hud! Good luck with the sale.

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by DocHorton
Cool looking place, Hud! Good luck with the sale.

Late to bed or early to rise? confused2

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 11:45 AM

Kids are caught off guard. Some pissing & moaning going on.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 11:45 AM

[Linked Image]

Does not look like much is holding this one up. Is it all pier and beam or some concrete slab?

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 11:52 AM

Kids are caught off guard. Some pissing & moaning going on.

Meh
Tell em to suck it up buttercup cuz it's momma and daddy's decision.

grin

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 11:56 AM

The deck sits over where the slope begins to fall towards the Frio. The home is on pier & beam up on higher and more level ground.

[Linked Image]

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 12:02 PM

man that is pretty Hud.
High enough up off the river to not be a concern???

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 12:11 PM

We've only owned this place since December 1 and cannot believe we found it. Built in the early seventies and has not flooded. Much lower across the river with lots of room for waters to spread out. I will take my chances.

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 12:11 PM

man that is pretty Hud.
High enough up off the river to not be a concern???

Yep. I hate floods.
bang
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Black Horse
Houses on the water here at Cedar Creek Lake...$322 per sq ft. And less than 6 in inventory. This lake has 300 mi of shoreline. Had friends buy and hold one in 2018 for 17 mo. Made 170k, net. This is insane to watch.

That is good news. I will be putting my house on Lake Livingston up for sale shortly. I don't think I will be getting those numbers though. up banana
Posted By: soooo

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig

Tell her it's a dry heat.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 12:54 PM

Did you say Frio?

you moving to Leakey?

Re: Down sizing - 05/26/21 01:58 PM

No, someone indicated we should sell our existing residence and buy two 1,750 SF homes - one in Rockport and the other in WY. I indicated our WY and Rockport is two hours away (just outside of Rio Frio). If someone were to happen to own a place just off 83 north of Garven's Store, it would be an easy trip down.

We will likely never move our primary residence away from New Barnflies.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum