Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting accident , hog hunting

Posted By: booskay

Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 04:35 PM

3 or 4 days ago,,, 3 kids ( 28---30 yr olds) ------- hog hunting at night,thermal scope, at 150 yrds one shoots the other with AR-10--------- kid is in S&W hospital in Temple with a hole the size of your fist in his liver. I' ve never looked thru a thermal scope before, but I guess the image is not totally clear.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 04:49 PM

Mine are but I spent the money for quality thermal.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 05:10 PM

There is very little that looks similar between a human and a hog in a thermal scope. The only similarities are a heat signature. This can not at all he blamed on the scope or the fact they were night hunting, this “accident” was derelict hunters...nothing more nothing less.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 05:18 PM

If this was a free kindle book from Book Bub it might not be an accident. Just sayin'
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
There is very little that looks similar between a human and a hog in a thermal scope. The only similarities are a heat signature. This can not at all he blamed on the scope or the fact they were night hunting, this “accident” was derelict hunters...nothing more nothing less.

I'm just guessing since they didn't say how it happened but I suspect they were set up like many of the youtube videos and lined up facing the hogs. Hog runs parallel and crossed across the line with one of the hunters following it in the scope.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

I'm just guessing since they didn't say how it happened but I suspect they were set up like many of the youtube videos and lined up facing the hogs. Hog runs parallel and crossed across the line with one of the hunters following it in the scope.

I’ve often wondered when this type of thing was going to happen, hope he recovers ok..
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 05:31 PM

Terrible...
My brother has a lower end thermal scope, even at 150 you should be able to tell a Hog from a Human.

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 05:41 PM

I hunt at night a lot. I would never hunt the same property at night with other folks and be 150 yards from each other. We would either hunt together or I would leave.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 06:04 PM

Never heard of 28 and 30 year old kids. Sorry for what happened. Get well soon.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 06:28 PM

Terrible news!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 07:29 PM

bang
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 07:32 PM

Not the way to hunt hogs at night...

https://kdhnews.com/news/local/man-...d8ec508-b42c-11eb-9a0c-bf4b31ac7c23.html

They said they were hog hunting together and decided to separate, and the 25-year-old man who was shot walked along the creek.

All individuals lost contact with each other and there was a misunderstanding where each were, the release said.

One of the relatives spotted hogs running toward the creek and fired, striking the man, officials said.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 07:42 PM

Dang, I hate to hear stories of injured hunters. Guys out having a good time, and then suddenly, tragedy worse than is imaginable.
Prayers for the injured hunter.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 08:09 PM

Them ain’t kids & that weren’t an accident

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 08:28 PM

This is why I won’t hunt with anyone that has a gun around me without knowing for a certainty their not a dumb [censored] and this is a very short list!!!! This wasn’t an accident, it was a full case of DA Syndrome resulting in somebody getting blasted..

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
This is why I won’t hunt with anyone that has a gun around me without knowing for a certainty their not a dumb [censored] and this is a very short list!!!! This wasn’t an accident, it was a full case of DA Syndrome resulting in somebody getting blasted..

Great plan.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 09:29 PM

up
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/15/21 11:30 PM

Morons...hope the bullet recepient survives.
Posted By: ghostlight

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 01:51 AM

what the hell are they doing being seperated while hog hunting
Posted By: Wool E. Booger

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Never heard of 28 and 30 year old kids. Sorry for what happened. Get well soon.

^^^. What he said ^^^
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 01:59 AM

These weren’t kids and I suspect we will find out that a female is somehow involved in this story.

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by pegasaurus
These weren’t kids and I suspect we will find out that a female is somehow involved in this story.

Funny you mention that, I lost a good friend in a hunting scenario similar to this. He died and the other guy went to jail.

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 03:59 AM

I doubt there was some conspiracy. Likely just inexperienced folks who don't know how to safely hunt at night.
Posted By: StephenB

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 04:17 AM

Something along the lines of the guy who was shot having a good life insurance policy and his wife was cheating on him with his hunting buddy?

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by StephenB

Something along the lines of the guy who was shot having a good life insurance policy and his wife was cheating on him with his hunting buddy?

It's being discussed on the internet so there has to be a conspiracy theory. They were all relatives of each other. SMDH.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I doubt there was some conspiracy. Likely just inexperienced folks who don't know how to safely hunt at night.

Right. Accidents happen. They shouldn’t, but that doesn’t mean there was foul play.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by booskay
I' ve never looked thru a thermal scope before, but I guess the image is not totally clear.

Depends on the thermal scope that you are using and the hunting conditions, sort of like with using daylight scopes. Even with low end thermal scopes, distinguishing between a hog and a human in open terrain should not be a problem. Shooting at an image in a broken up view through the woods is about like doing the same with a daylight scope, which is how people sometimes get mistaken for other animals.

We don't know if the victim was standing, seated, or possibly on all fours for some reason. So we don't know the image that might have been presented to the shooter. That can certainly mess with one's ability to be able to make a proper identification.

We also don't know if this was an aimed shot based on improper identification in trying to hit what turned out to be the victim or a swing through shot (think Dick Cheney) or spray and pray where the victim was not the intended target.

As for the conspiracy theory, somebody in law enforcement will work that out. Based on what is typical in these situations, attempted murder is unlikely.

Given that a thermal scope was being used, there is a possibility that there is video from the shot. Now wouldn't that be interesting?

I get what you are saying. "Accident" is a euphemism people like to say to mean unintentional, while glossing over the negligence aspect. If you talk to an insurance adjuster, s/he will tell you that there is virtually no such thing as an automotive accident. Unintentional crashes occur as a result of negligence in driving and or maintenance.

The same discussion goes on about accidental discharges and negligent discharges. Guns almost never discharge accidentally. There is almost always a direct human factor involved at some level. So while the discharge may not be intentional, it is not without negligence.

There are tragic hunting 'accidents' that result in people going to jail, unless you are Dick Cheney.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 02:20 PM

Not to mention the personal and possible criminal accountability that goes with it, the financial liability that one incurs with shooting accidents like this must be enormous. Medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering. Not sure what type of insurance, if any, would cover it. It would be a mistake that would likely force the average person into bankruptcy.

I was told through internal TPWD channels the shooter who created the carnage in the photo below later faced a civil lawsuit over his mistake.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 02:41 PM

It's being discussed on the internet so there has to be a conspiracy theory. They were all relatives of each other. SMDH.

You are probably right. There have never been any cases where relatives have ever caused intentional harm to another relative. SMDH
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 03:05 PM

That sucks! Fortunately the liver is one of only two organs in the body that can regenerate/regrow itself.

All the best to the injured.

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar
That sucks! Fortunately the liver is one of only two organs in the body that can regenerate/regrow itself.

All the best to the injured.

X2
Posted By: soooo

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/16/21 05:43 PM

I have no legal responsibility in this case.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/17/21 03:21 PM

I've never looked through a thermal. I'm sure a person standing and walking looks way different than a hog, but how about a person crouched down kneeling etc?

28-30 aint not kids either.

Last time i went night hunting was at a buddies place he spottlighted some eyes and said its a coyote bust him. I couldn't tell what it was through the scope and even though my buddy was all but threatening me to pull the trigger something didn't seem right. We got closer and it turned out to be a black cow...
Posted By: tigger

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/17/21 04:59 PM

I have two accidental discharges of a rifle in my 69 years of hunting. Both were stupid decisions on my part.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/17/21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by tigger
I have two accidental discharges of a rifle in my 69 years of hunting. Both were stupid decisions on my part.

You have guns?
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/17/21 05:08 PM

You are probably right. There have never been any cases where relatives have ever caused intentional harm to another relative. SMDH

Maybe you should quit reading tabloids and start a three word game. laugh
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/17/21 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
I've never looked through a thermal. I'm sure a person standing and walking looks way different than a hog, but how about a person crouched down kneeling etc?

28-30 aint not kids either.

Last time i went night hunting was at a buddies place he spottlighted some eyes and said its a coyote bust him. I couldn't tell what it was through the scope and even though my buddy was all but threatening me to pull the trigger something didn't seem right. We got closer and it turned out to be a black cow...

wow
do you still hunt with this cat?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/17/21 05:23 PM

Prayers up for the shot hunter. angel
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/17/21 05:24 PM

Prayers up for the shot hunter. angel
Posted By: TexShooter101

Re: Hunting accident , hog hunting - 05/24/21 04:09 PM

Prayers sent for speedy recovery.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum