Texas Hunting Forum

New Residential Fence

Posted By: HunterMattW2

New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 01:24 PM

Need to start getting bids on new fence for our home. Probably not so good timing, but hey...gotta get done.

In Mansfield, looking for thoughts, costs, timing for residential fence.
Roughly 200 feet, 85 of which exists as 6 foot so only need extensions there.

8 foot, unsure of board on board or just butted.
Capped at top, 2 gates.

Thanks for any leads and help.

-Matt
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 01:28 PM

Txhnter- alltop construction
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 02:42 PM

I got mine done not to long ago, and it ran me $30 per linear foot, plus $250 per gate. They used post master metal post, three hangers, and 6ft cedar pickets. This should give you a ballpark idea of what to expect.
Posted By: freerange

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 03:02 PM

Ive got a short run of fence that needs redoing but everything is so high right now I decided to wait.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 03:06 PM

Buddy of mine was building grade 1 cedar 8 foot board on board with cap and kick board, metal posts, 2 walk through gates for $65 a foot before prices wood prices went up last year
Posted By: soooo

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

My first thought
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 05:52 PM

Times are tough right now. I would try to hold out a few months, hoping lumber drops.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Times are tough right now. I would try to hold out a few months, hoping lumber drops.

Dream on.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 05:59 PM

[Linked Image]

Just built this 1200 dollar deck.

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 06:04 PM

Winners never cheat and cheaters never win.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Winners never cheat and cheaters never win.

Except during the steroid era of baseball.
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 06:17 PM

Buddy of mine owns this company. Based in Midlothian.

https://fenceandstain.com/
Posted By: dkershen

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by soooo

My first thought

Would be helpful if you actually got his handle correct. OR his business name. hammer

TXSHNTR out of Mansfield. He did a great job on my roof and fence. HunterMatt I'll PM you his business card. [Linked Image]
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 07:06 PM

Glad we had our fencing done last summer. The contractor was just starting to have issues getting 6’ and 8’ cedar fence pickets.
Posted By: Jman

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Buddy of mine was building grade 1 cedar 8 foot board on board with cap and kick board, metal posts, 2 walk through gates for $65 a foot before prices wood prices went up last year

This is where I'd start.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 07:38 PM

Mark Harris--Triple C Fencing
He's in Mansfield and did our house....quite a bit cheaper than other prices quoted in this thread, and he did a great job, built us a custom gate, etc. Ours is 8' board on board, cap, metal posts on 6'. Super nice guy and has lived in Mansfield forever.
PM me if you want his number.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jman

Originally Posted by BigPig

This is where I'd start.

He said he will be over $100 a foot come August 1st. He’s booked solid
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 07:42 PM

It's not just price right now. Inventories are vey low which means quality may suffer.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen
Originally Posted by soooo

My first thought

Would be helpful if you actually got his handle correct. OR his business name. hammer

TXSHNTR out of Mansfield. He did a great job on my roof and fence. HunterMatt I'll PM you his business card. [Linked Image]

Handle you are correct. Company I'm right. smile technically Sr is Roofing, Jr is Construction, but either way you will get a hold of Jr.

OP Dave’s good people. He has done probably close to 250k for myself and family(fences, porches, remodel and add ons) and another 300k in personal referrals.

He is out of Mansfield too.

Posted By: GUTIT

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 10:58 PM

He can't build any fences over 4'0". Vertically challenged.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/14/21 11:26 PM

Man 6’ materials are easier to come by than 8’ materials last time I checked. It’s hit and miss. If you’re comparing today’s prices to anything more than 2 or 3 months ago then there really is no comparison. I did superdutys big deck and wood literally went up $1200 on his job from one week to the next. It’s brutal. Wood futures are a little lower but nothing of significance. Let me figure out a price and I will let you know where I’m at.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/15/21 12:20 AM

Wood fences are easy. Do it yourself.

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/15/21 12:30 AM

Nothing easy about digging holes Grasshopper. I called the man. They hand dug 80+ holes in hard clay/flint rock in 2 days.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/15/21 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Nothing easy about digging holes Grasshopper. I called the man. They hand dug 80+ holes in hard clay/flint rock in 2 days.

He's got 120 foot of new fence, that's 20 holes at most. A stand on mini-skid with auger rents for about $250 a day.

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/15/21 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by TexFlip

He's got 120 foot of new fence, that's 20 holes at most. A stand on mini-skid with auger rents for about $250 a day.

Pass.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/15/21 01:43 AM

I can say this materials alone a year ago would have cost me roughly 1700. I priced it a couple weeks ago and just wood was 4300. That’s no hardware concrete. I need to do about 425-450 feet and that was 6ft. It’s going to wait for awhile.
Posted By: Jman

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/15/21 01:58 AM

Hand digging holes is stupid. Right tool, right job an old buddy used to say.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/15/21 02:02 AM

The guys that dug my holes used a rock bar, water hose, and post hole digger. Low tech crew, and it was 100+° every day. And they were the low bidder.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/15/21 10:50 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/17/21 12:49 PM

I would be at at $75 to $80 a LF for 8’ cedar board on board with metal posts and top cap.

That’s a good number for about a day! Lumber pricing is a moving target
Posted By: HunterMattW2

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/17/21 03:29 PM

Thanks for all the help and information. Holy cow are things expensive! Making me think very hard about timing now.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/17/21 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by HunterMattW2
Thanks for all the help and information. Holy cow are things expensive! Making me think very hard about timing now.

I put it off last year and now I may put it off all together. I`m not paying those prices under no circumstances.

Re: New Residential Fence - 05/18/21 02:29 AM

In addition to material pricing another thing driving up building costs is labor. We are having problems hiring guys to work. Why work for me at $200 a day when you can get almost that much tax free sitting your [censored] at home? They are wanting $250 to $300 a day now due to labor shortage. It’s about as bad for us as restaurants now. It all leads to higher prices for everything. I guess it’s up to you on who to blame for the current situation we are in.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum