Texas Hunting Forum

El Tovar Hotel @ Grand Canyon

Posted By: 603Country

El Tovar Hotel @ Grand Canyon - 04/20/21 01:42 AM

Back in the day this place was probably pretty special. But not now. We are here. Tiny room. No AC this time of year. Couldn’t get in the dining room tonight. Had to get a salad to go and eat it on a table upstairs. This is costing us about $1000 for two nights, and I ate an Ok salad with a plastic fork. It is right on the edge of the Grand Canyon, so there is that. When Hell freezes over, maybe I’ll stay here again.

Maybe somewhere in this place they have suites or at least better grade rooms. This isn’t one of them. I had a room in the Menger in San Antonio once that was worse than this, but that’s the only one in memory.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: El Tovar Hotel @ Grand Canyon - 04/20/21 01:46 AM

We stayed at some condos at 7 mile beach.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: texasag93

Re: El Tovar Hotel @ Grand Canyon - 04/20/21 01:54 AM

My family stayed there the night before we rode the mules down into the canyon to the Phantom Ranch.

My parents reserved the suite overlooking the Grand Canyon...... we got bumped by the honeymooning Billy Joel and Christi Brinkley. Not kidding.

When dining at the El Tovar, my favorite part was when I dropped my salad fork. The waiter brought my replacement on a silver tray. I grabbed the silver tray and not just the salad fork. It was a quick tug of war that the waiter won. I would do it again today to see if I could win.

Sorry 603. At least you did not lose a tug of war for your plastic fork.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: El Tovar Hotel @ Grand Canyon - 04/20/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
We stayed at some condos at 7 mile beach.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bill is enjoying a tasty martini tonight.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: El Tovar Hotel @ Grand Canyon - 04/20/21 02:04 AM

It was rum punch down there.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: El Tovar Hotel @ Grand Canyon - 04/20/21 02:15 AM

Dang. The one time I've been to the Grand Canyon in 2017 I stayed at the Bright Angel lodge I think for less than $90. It wasn't fancy or big but I was pleased with it for the price and being right on the rim. Glad I didn't try to stay at the fancy lodge

Re: El Tovar Hotel @ Grand Canyon - 04/20/21 03:24 AM

It’s hard to get a room in this place or a meal in its restaurant. Maybe it’s the draw of a historic hotel. We have lunch booked tomorrow, so we’ll see if the food is a big deal.

If you saw our room here, you would not be impressed, and it’s $350 a night.

But, the wife is happy to be on vacation at the Grand Canyon, so I’ll quit griping....mostly.
Posted By: freerange

Re: El Tovar Hotel @ Grand Canyon - 04/20/21 02:40 PM

Ive never understood what it is about women and hotel rooms(mine anyway.) We stayed in one this weekend. She thought it was awesome(nothing fancy at all.) Something about a plug for a hair dryer being close to a mirror.

Re: El Tovar Hotel @ Grand Canyon - 04/20/21 04:07 PM

Tried for bkfast this morning. An hour wait. Not doing it, so we went outside the park to McDonalds.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: El Tovar Hotel @ Grand Canyon - 04/20/21 04:27 PM

Guy who worked for me went to the Grand Canyon and when he came back to work I asked how was it?

He said it was a waste of his time. Asked him why and he said his brain could not understand stand what his eyes were seeing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum