Texas Hunting Forum

Philadelphia area

Posted By: SapperTitan

Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 07:10 PM

I’m in Exton, PA about 40 min from Philly for training for two weeks. Just wanted to say besides cheesesteaks the food up here sucks.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 07:15 PM

Any Mescan food?
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 07:16 PM

Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia is pretty cool. Some good bakery’s, sandwiches. Etc
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 07:16 PM

Luke lobster house.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 07:18 PM

Pizza
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 07:18 PM

The sandwiches and Italian food are great up there.

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 07:23 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 08:16 PM

Cream cheese perhaps?
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 08:33 PM

Ville de Roma south of city center. Cash only old school Italian joint. Bar on one side, restaurant on the other. Worth a trip. Nothing touches dalessandro’s for cheesesteaks. Onions and whiz with hot peppers. Didn’t think I would be a fan of the whiz but it works.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
[Linked Image]

That looks good

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by topwater13
Ville de Roma south of city center. Cash only old school Italian joint. Bar on one side, restaurant on the other. Worth a trip. Nothing touches dalessandro’s for cheesesteaks. Onions and whiz with hot peppers. Didn’t think I would be a fan of the whiz but it works.

As in Cheese Whiz?!

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

As in Cheese Whiz?!

Indeed. Awesome.

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 08:57 PM

My air force Buddy says tony Luke's.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 09:34 PM

Info is from 1974, find some German food places. Went to Germantown, north of downtown. I had a guide, an Army buddy, he now lives in Florida, so he is no help today. .

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

As in Cheese Whiz?!

Indeed. Awesome.

I’d have to try it, I guess.

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

As in Cheese Whiz?!

Indeed. Awesome.

I’d have to try it, I guess.

You either love or hate it.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 09:59 PM

Philadelphia is an armpit. Our corporate headquarters is there..hate going to that dump.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
[Linked Image]

That looks good

Walk across the intersection to Pat's. It is much better.
Just say "whiz/with," that will add cheese whiz and onions to your Philly cheese steak. Live like the locals.

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/28/21 10:48 PM

I went to both Genos and Pats. Pretty much tasted the sane to me.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/29/21 12:17 AM

Philly sucks, period. Everything about it.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/29/21 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by freerange
Any Mescan food?

Sapper... DO NOT go here. There are places in Philly that claim to serve Mexican food. They Lie. You can end up with a palette scarred for life... trust me on this. Just tough it out and then head straight to a good TexMex place once you land back in the Lone Star state.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/29/21 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by dkershen
Any Mescan food?

Sapper... DO NOT go here. There are places in Philly that claim to serve Mexican food. They Lie. You can end up with a palette scarred for life... trust me on this. Just tough it out and then head straight to a good TexMex place once you land back in the Lone Star state.

Tex-Mex is truly a Texas thing I guess. You can’t even get good Mexican food or Tex-Amex in Arkansas. It was so bad we laughed through our meal in Hot Springs last year.

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/29/21 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by wp75169
Originally Posted by dkershen
Any Mescan food?

Tex-Mex is truly a Texas thing I guess. You can’t even get good Mexican food or Tex-Amex in Arkansas. It was so bad we laughed through our meal in Hot Springs last year.

Its better now in Oklahoma, but it was a struggle.

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/29/21 01:16 AM

Good Mexican food can be found up there. There’s even some real Mexicans. It just takes a lot of trial and error to figure out what’s what, since the locals don’t know. If you’re there for a week or two, it’s not worth the research. Long term, a little leg work can pay off.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/29/21 02:27 PM

Download a phone app called History Here it's free and will identify things close to you of historical interest.
Be careful on the Mexican Food. They think Taco Bell is Mexican Food. roflmao
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/29/21 03:11 PM

Been to Pittsburgh. It's not bad for a big city on the East coast.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/29/21 03:40 PM

I’ve never been to the NorthEast. Everything I’ve seen looks like a lot of people jammed into a small urban area. I do like a good Philly cheesesteak though.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/29/21 03:56 PM

I wasn't impressed with the Geno's sandwich, but we went there because we wanted to see what all the rage was. Then after talking with the locals going to pretty much any bar in Philly will be a better representation of a philly cheesesteak sandwich. But if you are there looking for something to do, try it and do it during the day.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/29/21 04:40 PM

You walk in any food privately owned establishment from Alabama to Texas south of the Mason Dixon line and you're liable to get the best food of your life. And them joints are plentiful. This goes double for south Louisiana.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/29/21 07:07 PM

One interesting thing up here is that there are a lot of major cities within a short distance. Less than 2 hours from Philly to New York and DC. Where I live in Texas it 2.5 hours to Dallas or San Antonio depending on which part of the city. Things are so much more spread out in Texas and I like it that way.
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: Philadelphia area - 03/29/21 07:15 PM

Yeah, when I would travel there for work, the best food I would find would be just from walking around and walking into some hole in the wall place. I cant think of a time where I left disappointed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum