Texas Hunting Forum

Texas High School Football

Posted By: Josey Wales

Texas High School Football - 03/09/21 02:56 PM

I know it's the wrong time of year to be talking HS football, but our town took a blow last week.

Weatherford's Head Football Coach and AD went to neighboring town of Brock. The move does and doesn't make sense to me.

Weatherford has come miles since Coach Mathis came on board going from 0-10 his first season to back to back playoff appearances the last 2 years.

So who's next for WHS Football?

My pick is Art Briles.

Anyone care to discuss?
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Texas High School Football - 03/09/21 03:57 PM

Indeed a big blow. My wife teaches in WISD and everyone was shocked. Great score for Brock but a huge loss for the Roos. I don’t think Weatherford will ever be a powerhouse in any sport with Aledo, Brock and Peaster picking up a good chunk of the star athletes. Will be interested to see who the next coach up is.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Texas High School Football - 03/10/21 12:53 AM

I love HS Football !!
Posted By: erathar

Re: Texas High School Football - 03/10/21 01:12 AM

I can't believe Brock couldn't do better than that.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Texas High School Football - 03/10/21 02:33 AM

My daughters participate in football games and their school has been in the playoffs for many consecutive years. My point is, I am at a football game every Friday of the season.

Here is how you win football games

Payoff the UIL

Payoff the officials

Recruit your players

Hire a AD/head coach that’s a great politician

Find new ways to cheat

Want to see some great examples..... go look at the teams with multiple titles in the last couple years/decades
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Texas High School Football - 03/10/21 02:39 AM

Katy Tigers GOAT.
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Texas High School Football - 03/10/21 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Katy Tigers GOAT.

Aledo fans would argue with you...and have a tough case. I grew up in Midland when Permian was a powerhouse, followed by Lee and their 3 year awesome run with Cedric Benson. Recruiting and payoffs are 100% accurate and will always likely go on.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Texas High School Football - 03/10/21 05:58 AM

I saw that move and have pretty good insight. It’s my understanding he wants to coach more and manage less.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Texas High School Football - 03/10/21 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Josey Wales
I know it's the wrong time of year to be talking HS football, but our town took a blow last week.

Weatherford's Head Football Coach and AD went to neighboring town of Brock. The move does and doesn't make sense to me.

Weatherford has come miles since Coach Mathis came on board going from 0-10 his first season to back to back playoff appearances the last 2 years.

So who's next for WHS Football?

My pick is Art Briles.

Anyone care to discuss?

Mathis seized a great opportunity after his star QB graduated. Brock athletics have been a powerhouse for years in small school UIL. Just like Aledo was and now is. With the growth happening in Parker County Brock will only get better.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Texas High School Football - 03/11/21 03:46 AM

Katy Tigers GOAT.

Highland Park gets more success with less talent than any school in Tx. They do have a few blue chippers from time to time but there is not a "system" school in Tx and maybe the country that can match what they do. And I do not pull for them btw. As a parent of 4 kids who played at Mesquite Poteet we had to play HP regularly. I always got a big chuckle how a team with all white boys( and I do mean 100% WHITE) can line up against a team full of college recruits and minority dominate players ......and whoop'em.m

COACHING
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Texas High School Football - 03/11/21 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
Katy Tigers GOAT.

Highland Park gets more success with less talent than any school in Tx. They do have a few blue chippers from time to time but there is not a "system" school in Tx and maybe the country that can match what they do. And I do not pull for them btw. As a parent of 4 kids who played at Mesquite Poteet we had to play HP regularly. I always got a big chuckle how a team with all white boys( and I do mean 100% WHITE) can line up against a team full of college recruits and minority dominate players ......and whoop'em.m

COACHING

This and personal player discipline and buying in and playing as one cohesive unit help too. Southlake Carroll and Austin Westlake have a similar footprint as well..
Posted By: PMK

Re: Texas High School Football - 03/11/21 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Originally Posted by BDB
Katy Tigers GOAT.

COACHING

This and personal player discipline and buying in and playing as one cohesive unit help too. Southlake Carroll and Austin Westlake have a similar footprint as well..

toss in Lake Travis and Cedar Park in that mix ...
Posted By: leswad

Re: Texas High School Football - 03/11/21 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
Katy Tigers GOAT.

COACHING

Truth! I would add since the parents are successful, they do pass their positive work ethics to their children.

[Linked Image]

On a side note, HP has the most wins in the state (GOAT) bolt

[Linked Image]

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum