Texas Hunting Forum

Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze

Posted By: BradyBuck

Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/21/21 02:18 AM

I put additive in the tank but was late to the party and it wouldn't start to cycle it through.

I left it alone until today and it still would not start.

Battery seems good it just won't crank over. Might try to jump it tomorrow.

2008 6.7 deleted

Does it just need to thaw longer?
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/21/21 02:25 AM

Mine wouldn't stay running after starting 2017 6.7. Changed fuel filter and it seems fine but is throwing a code now. My reader says it isn't throwing a code but the light is on. confused2
Posted By: KHH

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/21/21 02:39 AM

May check water fuel separator, could have had water in the bottom to freeze and crack it enough to let air in
but no fuel out.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/21/21 04:14 AM

"it just won't crank over."

So you've cranked on it a bunch the other day (never started), and again today?
That battery is prolly depleted, or close to - I would put a charger on it and maybe even slow charge it overnight to bring it back to full health.

Try again tomorrow with a full charge.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/21/21 04:27 AM

I saw a duramax fail in the middle of the road during the cold
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/21/21 05:10 AM

Find Diesel 911, pull the fuel filter and fill it 1/2 and1/2. Put the remaining correct amount in the tank.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/21/21 05:14 AM

Sell it and buy a Prius.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/21/21 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Sell it and buy a Prius.

Best advice given. Ever.
peep
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/21/21 06:11 AM

If you sucked gelled fuel into the filter, you have to change it. You should have two fuel filters on most all diesel trucks now. Change both. Fill the primary with anti-gel treatment or warmed fuel. Try to warm the tank if possible or wait for nature to give you a little extra help. The wax you develop in the tank won't go back to a liquid state without heat and agitation. I have put gelled filters into a 75 degree shop and they stay a solid mass of wax. What you southern folks are going through now is a real mess. I deal with gelled fuel on customers equipment on an almost daily basis during the winters up here. In an tough situation, add gasoline to your diesel tank on a one percent basis. This will cut the wax down and absorb it. If really desperate, add it up to a five percent mix, but don't drive it hard and add good diesel as soon as you can.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/21/21 09:23 PM

Jumped it off today and running fine.

Need to change fuel filter anyway so I'll be doing that this week anyway.
Posted By: godsdozer

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/21/21 11:47 PM

My 2001 3500 truck just sits under a carport all year long, we don't use it. It fired right up today. My 2012 deleted was used throughout the cold snap. ran good.
Posted By: cm250

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/22/21 12:24 AM

Cranked up all 3 of ours today. All three the old 7.3’s! Fired right up and ready for work!
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/22/21 02:00 AM

My 2020 6.7 wouldn't start one morning when the temp was in the single digits. I waited until afternoon and it started very reluctantly. I bought some Diesel 911 and ran some errands which should have got it mixed in good. The next morning same deal...no start. I put a battery charger on it and plugged in the block heater and waited 4-5 hours. It fired off.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/22/21 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Sell it and buy a Prius.

Best advice given. Ever.
peep

up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/22/21 06:06 PM

I put Howes in mine before the freeze, no issues starting at all during the bad weather, did take it forever and a day to warm up though lol

I went out to the truck this morning set my coffee in the cup holder and noticed an oil smell the rest of that damn bottle of additive leaked a little under my back seat, cant be much the bottle isnt down much but that carp stinks.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/22/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
...noticed an oil smell the rest of that damn bottle of additive leaked... that carp stinks.

Same. Fortunately it leaked on my all-weather floor mat.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/22/21 09:06 PM

I left my diesel sitting all last week and didn't try to start it until this morning. Started right up and no problems as far as I can tell.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/23/21 03:55 AM

I put Howes in mine before the freeze, no issues starting at all during the bad weather, did take it forever and a day to warm up though lol

I went out to the truck this morning set my coffee in the cup holder and noticed an oil smell the rest of that damn bottle of additive leaked a little under my back seat, cant be much the bottle isnt down much but that carp stinks.

Howes did me a solid! Put it in the Friday before this crap started and again on Wednesday when I filled up. Never had an issue even down to -1, also never plugged the truck in and she started just fine. God bless Cummins smile ani
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/23/21 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig

Howes did me a solid! Put it in the Friday before this crap started and again on Wednesday when I filled up. Never had an issue even down to -1, also never plugged the truck in and she started just fine. God bless Cummins smile ani

Howe's didn't do me solid. I did same, put in Friday at bucees in Fort Worth then drove 30 miles. Took two days to get it started. Had to hook up jumper cables and lay the fire to the ingition off and on for 10 min

I've never plug mine in either, doesn't have a plug. I've had no issues with this truck in panhadle and have been as cold. I do normally run stanadayne though
Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/23/21 04:19 AM

Didn't treat mine let it sit during all the cold
Fired right up today
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/23/21 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Howe's didn't do me solid. I did same, put in Friday at bucees in Fort Worth then drove 30 miles. Took two days to get it started. Had to hook up jumper cables and lay the fire to the ingition off and on for 10 min

I've never plug mine in either, doesn't have a plug. I've had no issues with this truck in panhadle and have been as cold. I do normally run stanadayne though

You probably followed the instructions. 1 bottle treats 365 gallons, I put a 1/4 bottle per tank
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/23/21 05:58 AM

I will admit I was heavy handed with the Howes I misread the bottle and put enough for 40 gallons in my 26 gallon tank. I had one cold start not plugged in that was fine but try to plug in when I’m home.

Had a friend and a cousin neither treated their fuel in a 2011 6.7 and a 2013 6.7 (Ford 6.7’s) and they wouldn’t start. FIL has a 2021 3.0 duramax started untreated and not plugged in just fine. So far that little pickup impresses me I like it more than my ram.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Diesel Truck Won't Start After Freeze - 02/23/21 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

You probably followed the instructions. 1 bottle treats 365 gallons, I put a 1/4 bottle per tank

Instructions lol. Like you and I read instructions.

Think I only had a half bottle left, I put a big splash. I only have a 26gal tank. Day it wouldn't start I think I put what was half of what was left
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum