Texas Hunting Forum

Should I be worried about washer supply and drain

Posted By: jskin

Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/18/21 10:59 PM

Have not ran the washer for several days now. Concerned it could have frozen as it’s on exterior wall. What should I do before starting a load to check?
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/18/21 11:02 PM

If it’s frozen it won’t work. If it’s a broken pipe you will know pretty fast when it thaws.
Posted By: B-radder

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/18/21 11:05 PM

I would be worried about every pipe in my house, but that's just me
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/18/21 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by jskin
Have not ran the washer for several days now. Concerned it could have frozen as it’s on exterior wall. What should I do before starting a load to check?

We are waiting a couple days after it thaws. Had a neighbor try to run their washer yesterday, not knowing drain was frozen and it backed up into the laundry room about 1/2 way through the 1st load.
Posted By: janie

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/18/21 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by NDN98

We are waiting a couple days after it thaws.

Same here. Probably wait a week. Learned the same lesson your neighbor's did 3 years ago. Quarter's in hand. Laundromat tomorrow.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/18/21 11:19 PM

Ask Sinnerback.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 12:20 AM

Turn it off. Disconnect the hose from the solenoid and stick in in the drain hole. Open valve and see if it runs. If so, leave them both on trickle
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 12:22 AM

only had two freeze on me and north side washer line was one. sunny side bathroom pipe thawed yesterday and poured into house. At least washer is on first floor - I guess we will find out once a plumber finally comes out and we fix the other pipe and turn the water on.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 12:25 AM

Yes my drain froze at the pea trap. They are vented. It made a mess. But is all good now, technically it self de-thawed in the process
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 12:38 AM

My cold supply froze a few days ago, I was able to use hot but it froze up too. Both are working fine now.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 12:43 AM

Are you talking about the drain? If not, then you are already past anything you can do to prevent a problem. It is under pressure and just waiting on a thaw to do whatever it is going to do. If you are worried about a split pipe then you probably need to turn off the whole house and wait until you are confident that it is thawed.

To know ASAP if there is a leak you could watch the meter. Assuming all the rest of the lines in the house are full, as in use now, then when you turn the water back on at the meter just watch it. They are highly sensitive. It will move a little just to pressure up, but should stop. If it keeps moving shut if off. Houston you have a problem.

If you are concerned about a P trap in the washer drain then just pull the washer out and pour some water in the drain from something like a 2-litre bottle and listen for it to fill up.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 12:47 AM

We’ve been using ours.
Posted By: jskin

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 12:56 AM

Should I turn the valves off till after it gets above freezing, will that do anything at this point. Should I have cut them off before would that have helped? How do you prep the washer line beforehand?
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Turn it off. Disconnect the hose from the solenoid and stick in in the drain hole. Open valve and see if it runs. If so, leave them both on trickle

This
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 12:58 AM

Our washing machine drain was clogged yesterday.

Wife ran a load and the laundry room started pouring water out.

I moved the drain to the sink in the room and finished the load.

I started pouring HOT water down the drain. I broke through and it started working. We ran 3 loads last night and 5 or 6 today.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 01:09 AM

i disconnect the hoses and draped them in the washer tub. i check them periodically. once tub fills I run a rinse/drain cycle. then repeat.

also dryer vent is near supply lines. run the dryer for short periods.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 01:30 AM

My washer drains to our side hay field - it froze up outside at the output end!
So far our only plumbing/freeze issue.
Posted By: WT_Foxtrot

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 01:33 AM

I ran mine just to keep water flow just like I keep other water outlets dripping. Luckily all good. Will continue to do so until temps get back up.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 02:34 AM

I turned mine on for a minute. No problems on either line but my washer is on south side of house. In normal winters I do not even cover outside faucet on south side.
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Should I be worried about washer supply and drain - 02/19/21 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by WT_Foxtrot
I ran mine just to keep water flow just like I keep other water outlets dripping. Luckily all good. Will continue to do so until temps get back up.

^^^^^ this. I hate to even guess how much laundry I’ve over the past few days load after load even washed the same load several times my washer / dryer is in the garage even pulled the dryers exhaust vent off put a funnel of screen over the end and draped it behind the washer probably excessive but it worked no frozen hoses or pipes
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum