Texas Hunting Forum

The blizzard of 21

Posted By: 7mag

The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 04:19 AM

I keep calling it this and to me it is like a blizzard. I have heard of people talking about the 'winter storm of 1983" and how this compares. Not in my books. First I have been in West Texas almost 55 yrs.

Grew up in the Trans Pecos then the last 36 yrs in the Permian Basin. I have never seen a winter storm of this magnitude, never. The temps, snow, ice etc have never been like this. Maybe the storm of 83 was in North Texas it sure as heck wasn't in my neck of the woods.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 04:22 AM

I heard someone talk about it today as well my response was that I was 1 yr old and don’t remember it.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 04:23 AM

I was born in ‘83, and I’ve always heard about it, but I can’t compare, obviously. I do get the impression that I won’t hear so much about it after this.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 04:35 AM

In my opinion 1983 was worse in Abilene, we were first covered with a 1" sheet of ice and then the snow. Snow was not as bad, but the cold was a lot colder, with some temps below zero. But we had no rolling blackouts or loss of water. Water mains busted all over town, water department men worked 24 hours a day. We had about 25,000 less people in town. People stayed at home, I got out to see a Doctor on Monday and there was more traffic than on a normal summer day.
Posted By: cbump

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 04:37 AM

Yeah. It’s cold out there.
Posted By: majekman

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 04:47 AM

Seems 83 was worse to me. It was like over 2 weeks temp never reached freezing for the highs. We were hunting some huge oat patches outside of Sabinal next to the old Coyote ranch. After 5-6 days the deer were coming for miles I guess to those patches. One afternoon I was on one side of a 40ac oat patch and bud on other side...I counted 171 deer....his count was 168 so it was pretty accurate I reckon
It was unbelievable.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 05:26 AM

I was a freshman in high school in 83 and for some reason don’t really remember that December storm. However, I do remember the ice storm that we had the end of December 78 to January of 79 which is odd since I was younger. This has been a couple of bad days and I’m sure that when we hit above freezing on Saturday and Sunday is going to be real bad around here.
Posted By: freerange

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 05:01 PM

Its interesting I dont remember 83 at all I dont guess. I would of been in Dallas and running 30 full service restaurants and I assume with that kind of weather we would of been closed a bunch. Closing those stores is a big deal and the worry of all those employees getting to work. I would of been primarily the one making the calls of when to open or not. I dont remember, but that mostly speaks to my memory and not the severity of the event.....
I cant imagine 83 being as bad as this.
Posted By: Guy

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 05:10 PM

I keep going out side thinking all the snow will be melting, but roads still covered like 3 days ago.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 05:35 PM

I had graduated HS in May. I remember it well. That one didn’t seem as bad but I was 18 and out playing in it. For this one we prepared the house and haven’t left it in five days now.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 05:47 PM

The one in the 80s was a foot of snow.

This time we got 5 inches, today we got another 2 inches so far, and its still coming.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 06:53 PM

I only remember cold weather from the December ‘83 storm, few months after I moved to Central Texas. The ‘85 winter was more memorable, it snowed 3 times that winter. 14” total. ‘89 December was brutally cold, so was ‘91. 2011 rivaled this one with cold, I was in San Saba in a 5th wheel. 9° lows.
Storm I lived through in April ‘83 in Ruidoso, NM dumped 30” the week before Easter. That was interesting.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 06:58 PM

I think this one was the mother of all blizzards.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
I only remember cold weather from the December ‘83 storm, few months after I moved here. The ‘85 winter was more memorable, it snowed 3 times that winter. 14” total. ‘89 December was brutally cold, so was ‘91. 2011 rivaled this one with cold, I was in San Saba in a 5th wheel. 9° lows.
Storm I lived through in April ‘83 in Ruidoso, NM dumped 30” the week before Easter. That was interesting.

I forgot about 89.... that year both power plants in S.A. went down because the fish swam into the intakes to stay warm.
Posted By: swampthang

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 08:11 PM

The ice storm that hit DFW in 2013 was pretty bad. In 1983 I was too young,dumb and full of c....something, to pay any attention to the weather.

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Bill, this is not a blizzard, it is a cold spell, not a blizzard.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Originally Posted by bill oxner

Bill, this is not a blizzard, it is a cold spell, not a blizzard.

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 11:01 PM

Where do yall find that little "degree" symbol on a key board. Hate to ask stuff like that, but Im old school, low tech, and its the only way to learn is to ask.

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
Where do yall find that little "degree" symbol on a key board. Hate to ask stuff like that, but Im old school, low tech, and its the only way to learn is to ask.

It does not work for me on my laptop. Go to numbers. Click onto the zero, push up. A little biddy degree symbol will appear. Release. Sometimes it take my slow fingers several tries. 36°

iPad for me.
Posted By: cringe

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 11:33 PM

The technique : You keep the Alt key pressed, then you successively type the numbers 2 4 8 , then you finally release the Alt key, which will bring up the " degree " symbol: °

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 11:33 PM

https://www.36degreesnorth.co/how-to
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 11:37 PM

I was there. This is worse.
83 lasted longer but this was much colder.
The record snow here in 2010 was a mess. Tore up a LOT of trees. That was bad. I think it was 18” of snow.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 11:45 PM

I was in the air force in 83. Our biggest issue was keeping demineralized water warm. Talk about boring.

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
I was in the air force in 83. Our biggest issue was keeping demineralized water warm. Talk about boring.

flag
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by swampthang
The ice storm that hit DFW in 2013 was pretty bad. In 1983 I was too young,dumb and full of c....something, to pay any attention to the weather.

More Ice in 83
More snow in 21 and lower temp
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/18/21 11:56 PM

83 was worse, they bays froze in 83. We never lost power and no rolling blackouts..
Posted By: dkershen

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/19/21 12:01 AM

'83 was longer and much more snow, but not the Arctic temps. I was working overnights for a IT company in Amarillo and got snowed into the building. Worked 3 straight days/nights all by myself before a co-worker in a 4x4 could come get me. Lived on vending machine candy and coffee, but our computer systems never went offline. up This was the event in my life that I discovered ladies bathrooms had couches. That was a life saving discovery and allowed me to take the naps I needed to power through. wink

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/19/21 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by cringe

The technique : You keep the Alt key pressed, then you successively type the numbers 2 4 8 , then you finally release the Alt key, which will bring up the " degree " symbol: °

cringe, this was your first post on here. Were you waiting for this perfect opportunity? I hope you chime in on other topics. Welcome.
Now back to the degree symbol...were you kidding? I couldnt get it to work and neither did Bills idea. Ill live without knowing.....
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/19/21 12:06 AM

In 83 i lived in a old farm house across from the Dell Diamond, we had a well and i left the water running in the kitchen sink( just like old places the drain ran in yard with a couple of pipes) didnt check on it for a couples of days cause i was staying with my brother. The water FROZE from the drain pipes up to the sink and had ice from the sink to the faucet. To me that was worse than this and I was LOT younger.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/19/21 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lakhota
I was a freshman in high school in 83 and for some reason don’t really remember that December storm. However, I do remember the ice storm that we had the end of December 78 to January of 79 which is odd since I was younger. This has been a couple of bad days and I’m sure that when we hit above freezing on Saturday and Sunday is going to be real bad around here.

I was a sophomore in HS. But again I was back in FS and possibly no where close to where the 83 storm hit so hard.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: The blizzard of 21 - 02/19/21 01:56 AM

Gonna be a bunch of babies come November.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum