Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone built a house recently?

Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 09:34 PM

I may be looking at building a new house on my land next year. Probably looking at going the metal building route versus the traditional build. Probably going to need a 4 bedroom, 2 or 3 bathroom. Probably one of two bedrooms in a loft upstairs. I know prices will vary greatly with the quality of materials you choose, but just curious for those who have built recently what your total costs have been close to.

Oh, and Bill, your cost to build a house 50 years ago wont help me, lol wink
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 09:45 PM

So your feeling better after the COVID?
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
So your feeling better after the COVID?

popcorn
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 09:53 PM

I built one in 2019.

I know for a stick and brick material cost had gone up 25-30% mid last year but may have come down.

Square foot price is gonna vary greatly depending on features and accessories

Posted By: jetdad

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 10:19 PM

I asked that question of a builder recently. He told me $130/ft for a barndominium with average finish out, foam insulation.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
I asked that question of a builder recently. He told me $130/ft for a barndominium with average finish out, foam insulation.

That’s pretty accurate on the low end. I’m seeing a lot of $145-$150 for mild custom, basically builder grade everything. Barndominiums don’t really save a lot of any over Stick & Brick anymore
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 10:54 PM

We built a barndo and have lived here on our land since Jan 2020

I would say we have just about baseline finish

We paid $110 a foot...9ft ceiling, polished concrete floors, granite counter tops, Fridgedaire appliances, spray foam insulated, wood burning stove (pretty basic)

The builder whom I’ve seen recently says materials have went up like 25 percent

I’d expect $130-$135 for same house 12 mo later
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 10:57 PM

It'll get you in the ballpark.

Nathan, go check the DIY section. I built mine Sept. 2019 to Nov. 2020. I did all the steel work, and hired all the subs. Biggest project I've ever taken on. Saved a ton, but due to FD schedule I was on the job site working two days out of 3.

We borrowed $105 sq/ft. That other $25+ a square foot was me building it. Talked to a very experienced welder, he said he would've charged $100k for the steel work myself and some help did.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 10:59 PM

Steel is high as giraffe azz right now. Lumber too.

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 11:03 PM

We are building a traditional home now on pier and beam, 3500 sqft. Hardwood floors, mid-level counters, sight built cabinets, top tier appliances, R-panel roof, LOTS of covered porch, 3 car detached garage etc. $115 a foot is my target, we'll see. My framing is gonna run almost twice what it would have in 2019.

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by TexFlip
We are building a traditional home now on pier and beam, 3500 sqft. Hardwood floors, mid-level counters, sight built cabinets, top tier appliances, R-panel roof, LOTS of covered porch, 3 car detached garage etc. $115 a foot is my target, we'll see. My framing is gonna run almost twice what it would have in 2019.

I’m curious as to how close you are going to get to that number. Can’t speak on the pier cost but on slab that would cost about $160/ft here average

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by TexFlip

I’m curious as to how close you are going to get to that number. Can’t speak on the pier cost but on slab that would cost about $160/ft here average

Should be close. Roof and framing are my biggest concerns. I built some fluff in elsewhere so we'll see.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/23/21 11:57 PM

150-170 seems pretty common place right now for turn key. Whatever you do, get a quote from more than one builder. Coworker paid for plans to his specifications, then got 3 bids for those plans. There was a $20/ft difference high to low between builders.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 12:43 AM

We built our current house in 2019, $130.00/ft overall is where we ended up. Traditional stick frame with all rock and brick exterior. Engineered slab with 44 piers, 10’ walls, level 2 and 3 granite, all stained trim, hand scraped wood floors, foam plus blow in insulation, tiled showers, fireplace, two covered porches, alarm, and all appliances. We did add some custom wood shutters the month after we moved in, that added another 10k.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 12:44 AM

That’s pretty good

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
We built our current house in 2019, $130.00/ft overall is where we ended up. Traditional stick frame with all rock and brick exterior. Engineered slab with 44 piers, 10’ walls, level 2 and 3 granite, all stained trim, hand scraped wood floors, foam plus blow in insulation, tiled showers, fireplace, two covered porches, alarm, and all appliances. We did add some custom wood shutters the month after we moved in, that added another 10k.

Did that include well/septic and the lot/land?
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra

Did that include well/septic and the lot/land?

Septic yes, conventional system and I believe it was $4500.00. The land I have owned for many years, and the well has been there since 1972.
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig

That’s pretty accurate on the low end. I’m seeing a lot of $145-$150 for mild custom, basically builder grade everything. Barndominiums don’t really save a lot of any over Stick & Brick anymore

what about on the taxes down the road?

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 02:30 PM

Not sure what you mean by taxes down the road. Barndos are taxed just like any other improvement, i.e., based on the value of the improvement. Taxes are levied on the improvement and one acre of land for a homestead with any additional land that has an ag valuation.

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 03:04 PM

wouldnt a 40 x 60 metal building appraise less than a 40 x 60 brick home? where does the value of the improvement figure come from?

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 03:22 PM

Depends on how they are finished out. The CAD sent an appraiser out to measure A/C space and assess a value. We discussed and arrived at a value while he was there. They had slapped an unrealistic value on me since they couldn't gain access without me there. Several factors determine value-cost, market and condition of the property among other factors.
Posted By: B-radder

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 04:41 PM

We are about to start on our house . We have done our numbers with us doing our own dirt work, pulling the electric, hanging all doors and doing all the interior trim
We should be from $85 to $90 a square foot .

I just built my pad with the dozer and waiting on my engineers report for the slab .
Posted By: booskay

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 04:49 PM

I've been told that in the Temple area builders wont give you a final quote ------- they will give you an approx quote, but during the building process when prices go up, they add that to your bill. After construction, the buyers have a set amount they can borrow, and the price is above that amount, and the deal falls thru. The builder has people waiting to take the deal after the price escalates.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 05:22 PM

taxes wont affect me either way, I get a 100% tax exemption for being a disabled veteran. So, if the only difference between a traditional build and a barndo is tax benefit Ill go traditional.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 05:33 PM

Watching. I’m curious about the costs as well. Going to retire in a few years and was thinking of going the barndo route because of the cost advantage. As time goes by it appears the cost advantage is disappearing.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Watching. I’m curious about the costs as well. Going to retire in a few years and was thinking of going the barndo route because of the cost advantage. As time goes by it appears the cost advantage is disappearing.

It’s the maintenance on a barndo

Once it’s done, it’s done

We’ve built 2 Barndo’s over the past few years and I think u can spend as much as u want on either
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 06:52 PM

A client of mine just signed to build 2 homes, 1 is a 3400 square foot 2 story, the other is a 1600 square foot 1 story. They own the land, water and electric is already tapped and ran to sight. Price total for both homes was $730,000. These aren’t over the top customs. Tile floors, level 2-3 granite, site built cabinets, foam insulation, metal roofs, all brick exterior.

That comes out to $146 a foot.

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 07:11 PM

Depends on how they are finished out. The CAD sent an appraiser out to measure A/C space and assess a value. We discussed and arrived at a value while he was there. They had slapped an unrealistic value on me since they couldn't gain access without me there. Several factors determine value-cost, market and condition of the property among other factors.

i didnt know the cad had the authority to see the inside?

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 07:15 PM

sorry to derail. taxes aint an issue it appears. good luck nathan at fork!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by procraft05
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

It’s the maintenance on a barndo

Once it’s done, it’s done

We’ve built 2 Barndo’s over the past few years and I think u can spend as much as u want on either

Nice! Do you have a contractor you prefer?

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/24/21 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Poppa

i didnt know the cad had the authority to see the inside?

They do if you give them permission. They jacked my value up triple. I didn't really have a choice. Didn't bother me. The appraiser was reasonable and listened. we arrived at a fair value.
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Anyone built a house recently? - 01/25/21 01:45 AM

Our home was finished in June of 2020. For the construction, we came in around $220/ft.

I know materials have gone up substantially.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum