Texas Hunting Forum

Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area?

Posted By: Guy

Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 09:10 PM

Thx.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 09:30 PM

Always heard your eyes would be the first to go.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 10:26 PM

Got the Crappie arm?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
Got the Crappie arm?

Probably got the selfie arm
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
Got the Crappie arm?

Probably got the selfie arm

roflmao

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 10:47 PM

Tweeked it early teal season tossing decoys out. I had this issue about 4 years ago, did home therapy and it got better. This last injury therapy has not worked, it has gotten worse...I get an MRI in the morning. I'll see what my primary Dr says, but my next step after that is to see a shoulder surgeon.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 10:57 PM

both of mine are bad.

man up.

the fix may not work anyway.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

both of mine are bad.

man up.

Hope your "man up" comment is meant as a joke, albeit a bad one.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Thx.

Is Plano Parkway & Tollway too far? Plano Orthopedic. Dr. Barrington. He's done most of the shoulders, knees and hips where I live in Frisco Lakes
Posted By: toddjohnson

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 11:29 PM

Dr Anil Koganti. He’s the best I have been to,

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Originally Posted by Guy
Thx.

Is Plano Parkway & Tollway too far? Plano Orthopedic. Dr. Barrington. He's done most of the shoulders, knees and hips where I live in Frisco Lakes

Thx Buzz, no all the way to Allen is good.

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Originally Posted by reeltexan

both of mine are bad.

man up.

Hope your "man up" comment is meant as a joke, albeit a bad one.

If he didn't mean it to be a joke, it still is a joke.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/30/20 11:57 PM

I had a painful shoulder issue as well, could even wake me up or keep me from going to sleep. (3) cortisone shots in the socket/joint, over the course of 9-12 months did the trick and that was 10+ years ago. Uncomfortable, but not painful. I’d ask if that’s an option before doing surgery.

Charlie
Posted By: Greg

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 12:18 AM

Guy, I used to work at Biomet as a med device sales rep in sports medicine here in North Texas. I was probably in close to 200 shoulder cases alone, not to mention all of the acl, ankles, & elbow cases where they used our products. Being right on top of the action you get to see it all. Most of the doctors I worked with were pretty good when things went well, but you could really tell the great ones on the rare occasion when something went wrong.

In my opinion, the best shoulder doc in North Texas (possibly the State) is Dr. Daniel Worrel. He works out of the Carrell Clinic which is one of the top surgery centers in the nation. He is the head doc for the Mavericks and he and Dr. Cooper work on the Cowboys players there as well. He was also the doctor for SMU sports teams. The guy is a genius and the one I would choose if it were me or my family. He also loves to hunt, has some incredible guns, and is an all around good guy. up

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
I had a painful shoulder issue as well, could even wake me up or keep me from going to sleep. (3) cortisone shots in the socket/joint, over the course of 9-12 months did the trick and that was 10+ years ago. Uncomfortable, but not painful. I’d ask if that’s an option before doing surgery.

Charlie

That is an option. The MRI i'm getting tomorrow may say that is not the best option. I'm gonna get the MRI in the morning, see what my primary physician and shoulder surgeons say, and most likely go with their recommendation. I would guess if there is tear in rotator cuff, cortisone shot will not repair tear, just remove the pain and kick the can down the road.

My FIL said (his Dr said) had he had the surgery long time ago his issue could have been fixed, but now it is so bad it cannot be repaired, his arm is pretty much useless now.
Posted By: 9x19

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 12:56 AM

Had mine worked on by Dr. Richard Jelsma in Sherman. No complications and fixed my issues.

(He also worked on both knees)
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 01:16 AM

Had mine done at the Landry Center For Sports Medicine about 17 years ago. I don’t remember the surgeons name.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 01:26 AM

I have a torn rotator cuff. Went to Dr. Scott Paschal on Greenville Ave., close to Presbyterian Hospital on Walnut Hill. He did not jump on me having surgery which I appreciated. Turned out my pain was coming from tendon impingement syndrome that was caused by my muscles compensating for the tear. I went to therapy and it didn't help. I then went to a gal that specialized in active release technique. She got rid of my pain. Amazing lady. I could barely lift my arm and the pain was quite intense at night. I've had no pain at all since. Glad he was not cut happy like some are. He came highly recommended by a friend that sells artificial knees and hip appliances.

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Greg
Guy, I used to work at Biomet as a med device sales rep in sports medicine here in North Texas. I was probably in close to 200 shoulder cases alone, not to mention all of the acl, ankles, & elbow cases where they used our products. Being right on top of the action you get to see it all. Most of the doctors I worked with were pretty good when things went well, but you could really tell the great ones on the rare occasion when something went wrong.

In my opinion, the best shoulder doc in North Texas (possibly the State) is Dr. Daniel Worrel. He works out of the Carrell Clinic which is one of the top surgery centers in the nation. He is the head doc for the Mavericks and he and Dr. Cooper work on the Cowboys players there as well. He was also the doctor for SMU sports teams. The guy is a genius and the one I would choose if it were me or my family. He also loves to hunt, has some incredible guns, and is an all around good guy. up

Thx Greg. cheers

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 02:30 AM

Greg sounds like he should know.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 12:50 PM

Guy this might be the best first route to take?

Originally Posted by jetdad
I have a torn rotator cuff. Went to Dr. Scott Paschal on Greenville Ave., close to Presbyterian Hospital on Walnut Hill. He did not jump on me having surgery which I appreciated. Turned out my pain was coming from tendon impingement syndrome that was caused by my muscles compensating for the tear. I went to therapy and it didn't help. I then went to a gal that specialized in active release technique. She got rid of my pain. Amazing lady. I could barely lift my arm and the pain was quite intense at night. I've had no pain at all since. Glad he was not cut happy like some are. He came highly recommended by a friend that sells artificial knees and hip appliances.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 01:31 PM

Ortho Texas Mitchell F. Fagelman,

https://www.orthotexas.com/drfagelman/

He did a total shoulder replacement on my right shoulder & will be doing my left

he also just finished fixing my wifes shoulder tear due to a fall in july at work

he is a awesome doc. plus has everything needed in one location
Posted By: BigLou

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 05:20 PM

Carrell Clinic has the best docs in Texas. Dr. Todd Moen did my shoulder last year...

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou
Carrell Clinic has the best docs in Texas. Dr. Todd Moen did my shoulder last year...

Yeah, looks like a lot of brain cells in that clinic!
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by BigLou

Yeah, looks like a lot of brain cells in that clinic!

But what you have is like a cavity, no need to over think this or post ski pics.

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 12/31/20 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by ndhunter
But what you have is like a cavity, no need to over think this or post ski pics.

I got a spreadsheet going, crunching some numbers based on 1) Dr google review score and 2) THF member credibility score. Right now Greg is winning in both categories, thus he has best overall score. I'll probably do a power point presentation if anyone wants a copy.

2020 year end bonus pic..Australia 1985 Perisher Valley..

[Linked Image]

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 01/01/21 01:17 AM

LOL
I knew that pic was coming

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 01/01/21 01:33 AM

LOL

That is a new exclusive pic, never seen before.

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 01/02/21 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Guy
LOL

That is a new exclusive pic, never seen before.

I have seen them all...a couple of times.

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 01/13/21 10:57 PM

Saw Dr Worrel today, just got back, good news I think, he said I have "Frozen Shoulder", surgery not needed. Gave me cortisone shot, scheduled therapy for me, said see you in 3 months for follow up. He said they do not know what causes it, it just comes and then goes. Which is what happen to me about 4 years ago, I had the same issue, my Primary Physician gave me home therapy and it just went away. I just did a google search on Frozen Shoulder, link below, and yeah seems like what I have. I did get an MRI, and the report showed many "partial tears", but he just glossed over that. I asked him if he thought my bird hunting was the issue and the recoil of the gun, it was funny I could tell he was kinda rushing and ready to move on to the next patient, but when I said that, he slowed down, sat down, and wanted to talk for fun, he told me that recoil of the gun is not the problem, but a 20ga is more challenging. roflmao

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/what-is-a-frozen-shoulder#1

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 01/14/21 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

Saw Dr Worrel today, just got back, good news I think, he said I have "Frozen Shoulder", surgery not needed. Gave me cortisone shot, scheduled therapy for me, said see you in 3 months for follow up. He said they do not know what causes it, it just comes and then goes. Which is what happen to me about 4 years ago, I had the same issue, my Primary Physician gave me home therapy and it just went away. I just did a google search on Frozen Shoulder, link below, and yeah seems like what I have. I did get an MRI, and the report showed many "partial tears", but he just glossed over that. I asked him if he thought my bird hunting was the issue and the recoil of the gun, it was funny I could tell he was kinda rushing and ready to move on to the next patient, but when I said that, he slowed down, sat down, and wanted to talk for fun, he told me that recoil of the gun is not the problem, but a 20ga is more challenging. roflmao

Wow, the way you were fussing I thought you would need surgery.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 01/14/21 04:09 PM

What I got out of that is your a kitty. rofl

Seriously Guy...that's great news and I hope you get to feeling better soon. I had a shoulder issue back in my fishing days that drove me insane...I ended up getting a cortisone shot and 6-8 weeks of no fishing (which KILLED me) and I haven't had any problems since (knocking on wood). Good luck!

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 01/14/21 05:38 PM

Trust me, the pain is incredible when I tweek it, the pain only lasts like 30 seconds or so, but it will double you over and bring you to your knees for that 30 seconds, and then the pain just goes away fast. I have never had anything as painful as this. But there is no damage to my shoulder, Doc said I can shoot my gun anytime I can bear the pain. And I can ski too, but if I crash skiing, I know the pain will kill me. The harder I tweek it, the greater the pain. They know very little about this condition, they do not know what causes it or a cure, it is just a contraction of the joint. And it just goes away on its own, they say between 6 months to 2 years. I had the same thing about 4 years ago I know now, and it only lasted about 4 months or so, can't really remember. It started late September, but I shot my gun through October no problem, then it got worse. No way I could shoot a gun right now. But I do plan on going skiing, probably twice. I just gotta make damn sure I don't crash. I could probably fish.

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 01/14/21 06:21 PM

Guy take a vacation and go to the Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 01/14/21 07:10 PM

Good do hear up

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 01/14/21 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Trust me, the pain is incredible when I tweek it, the pain only lasts like 30 seconds or so, but it will double you over and bring you to your knees for that 30 seconds, and then the pain just goes away fast. I have never had anything as painful as this. But there is no damage to my shoulder, Doc said I can shoot my gun anytime I can bear the pain. And I can ski too, but if I crash skiing, I know the pain will kill me. The harder I tweek it, the greater the pain. They know very little about this condition, they do not know what causes it or a cure, it is just a contraction of the joint. And it just goes away on its own, they say between 6 months to 2 years. I had the same thing about 4 years ago I know now, and it only lasted about 4 months or so, can't really remember. It started late September, but I shot my gun through October no problem, then it got worse. No way I could shoot a gun right now. But I do plan on going skiing, probably twice. I just gotta make damn sure I don't crash. I could probably fish.

More common to women 60 or older, sounds like no big deal, treat with Advil. Shouldn't affect your skiing but who will take the pictures of you in mid air?
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Any Shoulder Surgeons recommendations..in North Dallas area? - 01/14/21 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Guy

I think being a hunter is a prerequisite to work at the Carrell Clinic. I have seen Dr. Cooper in the past and Dr. Frederick (best hand guy in TX) did a surgery and rehab back in high school. I think my Dad saw Dr. Worrel last week...you can't go wrong with anyone over there IMO.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum