Texas Hunting Forum

Sleep aid

Posted By: Biscuit

Sleep aid - 12/15/20 02:36 AM

Do you take one ? If so, how often and what do you take ?
Posted By: Ohdangit

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 02:46 AM

Wife takes half of a melatonin pill every night and sleeps like a log
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 02:54 AM

Yes Ambien for years every night.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 02:54 AM

Take one of those kids melatonin gummies every night
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 03:02 AM

Couple of shots and I'm good.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 03:17 AM

Melatonin in winter.
Posted By: lil_red_ryder

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 03:18 AM

Vodka
Posted By: TKM

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 03:29 AM

Been taking Zolpidem and Melatonin for about 18 years, every night. If i don't take it i don't sleep.
Posted By: East

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 03:35 AM

I have the worst insomnia you can imagine. my mind never shuts off.

They have tried everything, trazadone, ambien, etc. you name it. most does not work unless I double dose, then if I do, i feel like a zombie till noon the next day so I quit taking them.

Now I usually get around 8 hrs of sleep for every 48 hrs. stay up all one night, sleep good the next.

I just cant shut my mind off, I will take little one hour naps here and there, to try to help, but in reality, i just lay there wondering about what headaches i will face tomorrow.

it sucks, but I know the meds that work, but they wont prescribe them to me, cause i admitted a drink beer and they think I will get addicted. so I guess running 48 hrs, 8 sleep, 48 up, 8 sleep, is healthier than me being addicted to a generic drug
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 04:05 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TLew

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 04:17 AM

Normal can point you to one
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by TLew

on behalf of Norml:

cool2 muyloco i cut the cord
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 05:07 AM

Nope. Thankfully, with rare exception, I'm usually asleep within 5 minutes of putting head to pillow. It wasn't always the case, however...a lot of prayer and becoming content with my life for me there. Now, if I'm physical pain, or make the mistake of drinking tea with supper, that does take a bit longer to fall asleep...
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 10:55 AM

Out in 5 minutes. Early to bed, early to rise. Haven’t had any trouble since I worries about monsters under the bed. Well, that one divorce.

She takes melatonin. May or may not sleep. Say she can’t turn her mind off. Always stress/anxiety.

East you need Xanax.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3
Originally Posted by TLew

on behalf of Norml:

cool2 muyloco i cut the cord
Posted By: don k

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 12:26 PM

Once in a while a PM advil. Works great.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 12:41 PM

Do not take anything, usually in bed asleep by 10 and up around 4:15 - 4:45 every morning. Average about 6.30 of good sleep every night.

Thought about doing a Melatonin before bed on a Saturday night to try and sleep in on a Sunday morning and see what it feels like to get 8 full hours of sleep confused2
but decided not to for I do not like taking any kind of pills except for vitamins.
Posted By: Kobeer

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 01:07 PM

1000mg CBD gummy.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 01:36 PM

I also am one of the lucky ones, less than 5 minutes after hitting the pillow or recliner. I also sleep like a baby on an airline flight. My wife and I can't lay down at the same time as she wants to talk and says I go to sleep mid sentence. She takes Seroquel (prescription) to help her get to sleep, it works well for her.

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Do not take anything, usually in bed asleep by 10 and up around 4:15 - 4:45 every morning. Average about 6.30 of good sleep every night.

Thought about doing a Melatonin before bed on a Saturday night to try and sleep in on a Sunday morning and see what it feels like to get 8 full hours of sleep confused2
but decided not to for I do not like taking any kind of pills except for vitamins.

Don't study about it. "Early to bed. Early to rise." I'm not sure if it will make you wealthy and wise.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by East

They have tried everything, trazadone, ambien, etc. you name it. most does not work unless I double dose, then if I do, i feel like a zombie till noon the next day so I quit taking them.

Now I usually get around 8 hrs of sleep for every 48 hrs. stay up all one night, sleep good the next.

I just cant shut my mind off, I will take little one hour naps here and there, to try to help, but in reality, i just lay there wondering about what headaches i will face tomorrow.

it sucks, but I know the meds that work, but they wont prescribe them to me, cause i admitted a drink beer and they think I will get addicted. so I guess running 48 hrs, 8 sleep, 48 up, 8 sleep, is healthier than me being addicted to a generic drug

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 02:05 PM

If a person is having trouble sleeping it's best to see what's causing the problem instead of jumping on the bus and taking something to mask it, most of the time it's what you're doing that causes the problem. Alcohol and insomnia go hand in hand, many people that drink develop insomnia and then turn to something else to relieve the insomnia. It's the rare person who openly admits to their alcohol consumption/volume when discussing the problem with their doctor. This creates a problem for the doctor who may prescribe a medication that they never would have had the known the truth. Meds like Ambien, Xanax, Valium and several others are meant for short time relief due to their addictive nature, yet there's people out there who have taken them for years. Withdrawal from some of the drugs is just as risky as alcohol due to the mental and physical addictions we tend to develop. Then we start looking for something to mask the withdrawal symptoms, we end up treating symptoms from what was supposed to be the cure for the problem. The number of people going into rehabs with dual addictions is rising, usually involving alcohol and benzo's. These aren't street people, they're professionals in their own fields. What's interesting is how fast they start to recover once you start taking it one step at time, starting with that first step.

Just a simple suggestion from an old recovered alcoholic! If you're having trouble sleeping give yourself a 30 day break from alcohol and see if it doesn't improve. If you can't make it 30 days without alcohol then you may have found the real problem and address that with your doctor but be 100% honest with him or her. Most of the time the doctor already knows simply by looking at you and a few basic tests but not talking about it unless you do. As i said it's the rare person who will be completely honest about their drinking.

I tell my guys there's 3 levels of addiction.

1. Mental addiction.

2. Social addiction.

3. Physical addiction.

I went through all phases and ended up in physical addiction, it damn near killed me. Put me in ICU for 5 days and in Origin Recovery Center for 35.

If my preaching on this ticks people off I don't care, if it helps somebody in need it's worth it. I've seen far to many people die from addiction, both drugs and alcohol, they just didn't know where to turn before it was to late.
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 02:09 PM

melatonin for me
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 02:10 PM

I fall asleep easily, but joint pain keeps me from getting a full nights rest. Tylenol PM for me on Friday and Saturday nights.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 02:24 PM

Worked shift work my entire adult life. I can sleep anywhere at any time.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 02:49 PM

Use to have trouble falling asleep on friday nights after making the drive to the ranch.... i have two small children and spend half the way down praying i dont fall asleep lol. Now im like flip and can sleep anywhere anytime like i have a switch.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 02:58 PM

Always whining
Posted By: decook

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN

I went through all phases and ended up in physical addiction, it damn near killed me. Put me in ICU for 5 days and in Origin Recovery Center for 35.

I remember wnen you were going through that HWY_MAN. Bless you sir, you beat it.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 03:06 PM

Sex has always worked well for me. I used to sleep great every night. Not sure if it is me getting older or that I have been married for almost 30 years but seems like I am not getting as much sleep as I used to. confused2
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 03:13 PM

Tylenol PM. It's just Tylenol with melatonin added to it.

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by MikeC

Easts liver dang sure doesn't need Tylenol.....
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 03:27 PM

Lunesta. I take it once or twice a week as needed. Non-addictive and works great for me. Tried Ambien one time and made my skin crawl. Never touching that drug again. loco_too
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 03:36 PM

Tried melatonin and other OTC, sleep aids but nothing helped. Ambien for years then it stopped working, now on Lunesta. With my current knee pain from surgery, nothing is working. Nights have been miserable for a week now. Need to adjust my pain meds accordingly.
Posted By: INRUT

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 03:59 PM

3 Advil pm's
4 gabapentins
every night
Posted By: HogBranch

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 07:12 PM

I spent much of my life not being able to sleep. Couldn't get my mind to slow down. Really started to effect me in my late 40's. Now I sleep about 7 hours a night. Here is what I found out about me.

1. Nothing can touch me, not even me. Any skin on skin contact will keep me awake. To solve this I wear long sleeve cotton t-shirt tucked into long cotton pajama pants with socks that I tuck the pajama pants into so that they do not shorten up over night and expose my calf's.

2. Keep the room at the right temp for you. Mine is 72.

3. Make sure the HVAC vent doesn't blow on you in bed. Each time the HVAC would come on the air moving would wake me up. I have mine adjusted to minimize the air that hits the bed but I also have to run the ceiling fan backwards at a low speed to breakup the air from the HVAC.

4. Use a noise machine or just a fan. If a mouse farted I was awake, having a constant sound of some type drowns out the ambient noise. If using a sound machine make sure to get one that is non-repeating. My ADHD would pickup on the repeat spot and I would lay there waiting for it to repeat. Having something constant to focus on helps me getting to sleep.

5. I take one Nyquil Cold and Flu tablet each night. Two if I am a little wound up. About 20-30 minutes after it will make me drowsy and I have a window of opportunity to get to sleep. I had to learn how to let the sleep happen, it took awhile. I would find myself just about asleep when my ADHD would notice and tell me "Hey good job your almost asleep". Then I would be awake....

6. No caffine or sugar after 1PM.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 07:21 PM

Read a book. I can't make it 5 pages before falling asleep

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by East

you are way worse than me - sorry man. Good luck

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 07:35 PM

Good stuff - I'm not the only one who cant sleep I see. I do not drink alcohol or do drugs. Mostly it's worrying about work that keeps me up and occasionally a nice buck thats on camera but I never see him in person.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 07:56 PM

I used to have some issues getting to sleep, but have managed to get where I now fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. The biggest things for me were:

Cut out caffeine after noon. This was huge for me. I used to drink coffee all day because I wasn't getting enough sleep, the wouldn't sleep because I drank too much caffeine.

Beds are for sleeping and sex. Nothing else. Don't read in bed, watch tv, play on your phone, etc. You get in and sleep.

Don't go to bed until you are tired. Just because you wish you could sleep at 8:30, doesn't make lying down then a good idea. Wait until you are tired, the go to bed and sleep. Over time, I was able to adjust my body clock to when I wanted to sleep.
Posted By: MO

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 08:08 PM

Actually it is Tylenol with diphenhydramine ( Benadryl ) added, smile I know nothing about making knives , but I know a little about
drugs,

MO RPh
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Sleep aid - 12/15/20 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by MO

Actually it is Tylenol with diphenhydramine ( Benadryl ) added, smile I know nothing about making knives , but I know a little about
drugs,

MO RPh

Oh boy can you get me some of the good stuff?? roflmao I kid I Kid flag
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 01:29 AM

Looks like I am not the only one having trouble sleeping. Melatonin for the past year but that doesn't work real well. Advil PM sometimes along with the melatonin and that works a bit better. Like East, my mind is working most of the night. Average about 5 to 6 hrs. a night. Usually about 30 mins. a day in the recliner helps out. As we get older our bodies just don't need as much sleep. I am 72.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 01:40 AM

Work harder
Posted By: East

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by wp75169
Out in 5 minutes. Early to bed, early to rise. Haven’t had any trouble since I worries about monsters under the bed. Well, that one divorce.

She takes melatonin. May or may not sleep. Say she can’t turn her mind off. Always stress/anxiety.

East you need Xanax.

controlled substance, have to do a bunch of test, which is fine, but at the moment dont have insurance and didn't wanna foot the bill

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 01:53 AM

Where am I? What am I doing here? I just fell asleep watching TV. I'd love to dream her back.
Posted By: booskay

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 02:02 AM

I take a shot of Vicks Severe cough syrup ------------- takes about 20 minutes to work, keeps me asleep for about 6 hrs.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 02:27 AM

Another good thing for me is to watch the blackhead removal videos. Yeah, a little weird, but it's kinda cathartic watching those things....Dr Pimple Popper has some great ones.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by LoneStarSon
Another good thing for me is to watch the blackhead removal videos. Yeah, a little weird, but it's kinda cathartic watching those things....Dr Pimple Popper has some great ones.

Absolutely NOT!!! I can’t do that nasty stuff. Give me “How it’s Made” and I’m out in 10
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 03:35 AM

Sex.

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

Only 4 for me.

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

Only 4 for me.

I haven't owned a book in years
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 12:28 PM

I average about 4 hours and a nap during the day. I’m retired so, unless I’m busy, a nap happens.

It started on February 17, 1964. I was sleeping peacefully and some [censored] tossed a chair down the row of cots and started yelling obscenities. My first thought was who is this guy. Second thought was if he knew who he messing with. I found out the answer to both questions. His name was Sergeant and he knew exactly who he was messing with.

On the second morning of basic training and thereafter all of us awakened when the barracks door opened.

I still wake up before daylight every morning regardless of what time my head hits the pillow.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by lil_red_ryder
Vodka

And a hard workout at the gym first thing in the morning.

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 12:55 PM

A sleeping bag at the camp house.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by SapperTitan
Take one of those kids melatonin gummies every night

Same for me
Posted By: PMK

Re: Sleep aid - 12/16/20 05:56 PM

guess I am lucky, I only require about 6-7 hours of sleep but can get by on much less. I can usually fall asleep within 5 minutes of my head hitting the pillow but on rare occasion, children's liquid Benadryl does the trick.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum