Texas Hunting Forum

Lawyer - Non Compete?

Posted By: jeepercreeper

Lawyer - Non Compete? - 12/08/20 01:25 AM

Any lawyers here or anyone that pretends to be one on the weekend? I have a question on Non Compete language.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Lawyer - Non Compete? - 12/08/20 01:32 AM

Trying to weasel your way out of a contract??
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Lawyer - Non Compete? - 12/08/20 01:39 AM

I slept in a seedy hotel does that count popcorn
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Lawyer - Non Compete? - 12/08/20 02:23 AM

There have been no compete questions here in the last month. Either search them or ask what you need to ask. There will be good answers
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Lawyer - Non Compete? - 12/08/20 02:28 AM

Every time my wife takes a new job, the current employer makes her sign a non-compete contract. Her new employer always says not to worry, we have ways of dealing with that.

One thing I’ve learned, contracts are made to be broken.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Lawyer - Non Compete? - 12/08/20 02:37 AM

Texas is a right to work state. I had an Arizona company I worked for years ago try that BS...I laughed and told them they're #1. Never heard from them again.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Lawyer - Non Compete? - 12/08/20 02:49 AM

I know an AZ company I still wanna stick it to. Just gimme the chance. Hold my beer, watch this
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Lawyer - Non Compete? - 12/08/20 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
There have been no compete questions here in the last month. Either search them or ask what you need to ask. There will be good answers

Found the big thread, thanks!
Posted By: nak

Re: Lawyer - Non Compete? - 12/08/20 04:16 AM

PM headed your way with the info on lawyer I used about 3 months ago to have a Do Not Complete reviewed and to get advice on how to proceed.

I cannot over emphasize how much I learned from the one hour call; It was worth 10X what they charge.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Lawyer - Non Compete? - 12/08/20 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Texas is a right to work state. I had an Arizona company I worked for years ago try that BS...I laughed and told them they're #1. Never heard from them again.

FWIW, Right to work has nothing to do with non-compete. R2W is mainly about notice and pay around notice.

Texas changed a few laws a few years back that made it much more business/employer friendly then employee.
Posted By: Zipster

Re: Lawyer - Non Compete? - 12/08/20 02:40 PM

I have a non-compete and had a lawyer review it a few years back when I left my previous company. Laws might have changed but I was told that in Texas, because it is a right to work state that Non-competes are hard to enforce. However, non-solicitation is easily enforced. There is a difference. Typically your old company will send a letter to you and your current employer demanding a cease and desist. The company can choose to represent you or leave it up to you. Some companies will even release you because they don't want to be involved in a law suit. It really depends on how much of an ahole your previous employer wants to be.
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: Lawyer - Non Compete? - 12/08/20 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Zipster
I have a non-compete and had a lawyer review it a few years back when I left my previous company. Laws might have changed but I was told that in Texas, because it is a right to work state that Non-competes are hard to enforce. However, non-solicitation is easily enforced. There is a difference. Typically your old company will send a letter to you and your current employer demanding a cease and desist. The company can choose to represent you or leave it up to you. Some companies will even release you because they don't want to be involved in a law suit. It really depends on how much of an ahole your previous employer wants to be.

I had a non-solicitation from my previous company and did get the cease and desist letter. Scared the crap out of me but my company just help me find other stuff to do for the remaining 3 months when it expired.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum