Texas Hunting Forum

Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers)

Posted By: lds

Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/19/20 02:07 AM

I have a pretty good group of weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers located in Edgewood. They have been worked. I was wondering if anyone had a connection with a direct buyer. I have had a few problems with the local auction and am hoping to cut that middle man out. This particular group totals 27 but we run about 300 head so we always have groups. Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/19/20 03:07 AM

Check out Cattlerange.com
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/19/20 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by lds
I have a pretty good group of weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers located in Edgewood. They have been worked. I was wondering if anyone had a connection with a direct buyer. I have had a few problems with the local auction and am hoping to cut that middle man out. This particular group totals 27 but we run about 300 head so we always have groups. Any help is appreciated.

Maybe Capital Land and Cattle in Schwertner, Texas. Used to could bring cattle to them and save commission fee.
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/19/20 01:35 PM

I hear the sale barn in OKC is bringing good money. I have no personal experience though.

On edit...I just sold a handful of calves 2 weeks ago in that weight range in Graham, they brought $1.25/lb.
Posted By: outnumbered

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/19/20 01:48 PM

Superior livestock auction has done us good but it really helps to sell in uniform weight groups, you can google them and find a rep for your area
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/19/20 02:35 PM

here ya go

https://www.fortworthmeatpackers.com/
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/19/20 02:51 PM

Marketing them yourself on cattle range can / might lead to finding a buyer you want to deal with.

Private treaty sales is something you don't want to just jump into & trust someone you don't have much if any experience with.

Over the years I've had enough problems with direct buyers / private sales that I take them to auctions I've had good luck with, those change frequently, only takes one bad apple kinda thing.
The auction house 'middleman' is also a safety buffer between the seller and the less than reputable people looking for shady deal easy mark.

Some of those same order buyers at the auctions also buy private treaty, considering your area probably be able to find someone with a good reputation in Sulphur Springs or Athens.
Probably worth it to try a few head at a couple different auctions in the area, don't just drop them off, go talk to the owner/manager before. If they can't answer your questions & have something to say in response to your concerns, move on.

Superior is a reputable well run outfit, doubt you'll get more per cwt than at a decent local auction.

---> Superior representives
Type in Edgewood, then Tx, then 100 mile radius.
Posted By: lds

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/19/20 06:35 PM

Thanks everyone, this is all good advise.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/20/20 12:47 AM

Call Henry Wilson in Gilmer. He pays fair prices. He groups his cattle into like groups and sells by the semi load.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/20/20 02:20 AM

Look into the NETBIO sale in Sulphur Springs. I've got clients that sell there periodically and they've been happy with results. You will have to work with your vet though as it requires a vet signature that they received the needed vaccines.

Got a couple clients that haul to OKC.

If you can put together truck load lots, Superior might be a good option.

IMO, selling calves one at a time at the local barn is the worst way to sell them. There are always exceptions but that my general opinion.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/20/20 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Cow_doc.308
Look into the NETBIO sale in Sulphur Springs. I've got clients that sell there periodically and they've been happy with results. You will have to work with your vet though as it requires a vet signature that they received the needed vaccines.

Got a couple clients that haul to OKC.

If you can put together truck load lots, Superior might be a good option.

IMO, selling calves one at a time at the local barn is the worst way to sell them. There are always exceptions but that my general opinion.

Mr Wilson does something similar, he may even use netbio. He buys individual and small groups and makes large similar groups and puts them on a semi.
Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/20/20 03:45 AM

Has anyone used Rutherford Land and Cattle out of Fairfield for sales or purchases?
Posted By: Tru_texan36

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/20/20 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Daddybigbuck
Has anyone used Rutherford Land and Cattle out of Fairfield for sales or purchases?

I've watched his videos and advertisements on Facebook/YouTube. Seems like a pretty solid operation. Curious to see if anyone else has had any dealings with them.
Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Re: Any cattle buyers out there? ( weaned 400-600 lbs steers and heifers) - 10/20/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tru_texan36
Originally Posted by Daddybigbuck

I've watched his videos and advertisements on Facebook/YouTube. Seems like a pretty solid operation. Curious to see if anyone else has had any dealings with them.

This is my only experience with Rutherford as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum