Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/18/20 09:59 PM

Truth.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/18/20 10:07 PM

Truth

Great post Sir
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/18/20 10:14 PM

I can only speak for the local high school tennis kids. They are just like we were, though more informed. It’s all about the proms and being a cheerleader and whatever. Nothing has changed. Of course the tennis kids are usually in the top 10% of their class, and I haven’t met the stupid ones. If I did, that might change my opinion.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/18/20 10:41 PM

We were also able to get away with a lot more shenanigans that they can today.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/18/20 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbass357
Truth

Great post Sir
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/18/20 11:14 PM

Exactly, it's not like we have a mass Lord of the Flies thing going on. Somebody raised these little darlings.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/18/20 11:20 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sailor

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/18/20 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Paluxy
Exactly, it's not like we have a mass Lord of the Flies thing going on. Somebody raised these little darlings.

Yep..... too many parents...…. wanna be friends..... instead of parents...……..
Posted By: reed35

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by bucksnbass357
Truth

Great post Sir

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 01:08 AM

Kids are now the focal point in their parents lives instead of an accessory.

That’s the biggest change.

I know a bunch of parents who wouldn’t know what to do with themselves if their kids weren’t in organized sports
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 01:38 AM

Less leather to skin contact.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by TCM3
Less leather to skin contact.

up You’re gonna be alright.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 02:05 AM

So much truth in this thread.

Too many parents are scared/embarrassed f their kids failure, so they either do their best to prevent the failure or do their best to fix the failure for the kids....many kids these days don’t know how to deal
With failure because they have never had to....not a good thing.
Posted By: 8th1

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 02:08 AM

My street used to be full of kids riding bikes and playing ball in the street. Now, most of the kids stay indoors, on the phones, pads, computers etc.. I think that has changed them.

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 11:32 AM

I'm glad mine is now out and on her own.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 01:22 PM

I'm glad I can't have anymore.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 01:40 PM

yep agree
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 01:48 PM

Wonder how much of my Social Security they would take for Child Support?
Posted By: Papa Stan

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 02:59 PM

Agree with everything. But it doesn't help when the Administrators (Principals & Asst Principals) don't have the backbone to enforce consequences on these little darlings for continual bad behavior at the high school level. The teachers wind up spending most of their time in class dealing with behavior issues instead of teaching. Boils down to the Admins afraid to stand up to the parents.
If I got in trouble at school in the '60's & '70's I knew it was going to be a lot worse at home from my dad with the belt. Sure we had a few knuckleheads, but from my experience today there seems to be a large % of them in the classroom.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by mikei
[Linked Image]

Spot on I would say. There is a 17 year old HS Junior kid in my house that would agree.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by mikei
pic= "You know....

So true - problem is, they grow up, and then they vote and throw tantrums (riots) in the streets when they don't 'win'.
Very soon, their votes will outnumber the last of us that are sane - then we all are really screwed.

We saw this coming 26 years ago - pulled our kiddos out of 'the system' and raised them right.
In their 20's now, they are at least 10+ years ahead of their 'peers' and even they are astonished at all the mindless drones around them.

Ol' Saul Alinsky's ways infiltrated our schools decades ago and the 'toll' is about to come due - and there's nowhere left to run away to.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Wonder how much of my Social Security they would take for Child Support?

Depends. They can take half (actually more than that) of your check. Right now I am unemployed and my ex wife gets more of my unemployment check than I do. She just bought a new Tahoe and a new RV, she’s not complaining.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 06:22 PM

Good post and I agree parents are the issue. Too many mamby pamby window lickers that expect the school to raise their kids instead of jerking a knot in their tail when the kids need it. Schools now have to have a signed permission slip from the parents for corporal punishment. The kids who are taught to deal with discipline at home, aren’t often the trouble makers at school either.
I recently saw a prime example in my rural community. The school still has a respectable dress code and enforces it. New 2nd grade boy showed up wearing ear rings. Was told they did not comply with district dress code and he could not wear them at school. Momma and daddy threw a walleyed fit. Administration told them if putting earrings on their second grade boy was that important to them, they could home school. They pulled him out for two weeks. He came back last week, minus the jewelry in his ears. SMDH.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 06:31 PM

Kids will be kids, but their enviornments are changed. We played outside and our parents didn't care. Kids play inside and lose common sense in front of a TV. I do think the world has gotten more evil, though, and so I will admit to keeping a closer eye on my kids versus the way I grew up (locked out of the house until meal time with a garden hose for water).
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 06:37 PM

I screwed up. Our kids were allowed to play games on a phone/tablet pretty early on. If i could go back i would re-think that one real long and hard!
Posted By: JRSUSMC94

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
We were also able to get away with a lot more shenanigans that they can today.

True. To be fair, lots of things that my parents did that would be considered character building are considered felonies today.
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Papa Stan
Agree with everything. But it doesn't help when the Administrators (Principals & Asst Principals) don't have the backbone to enforce consequences on these little darlings for continual bad behavior at the high school level. The teachers wind up spending most of their time in class dealing with behavior issues instead of teaching. Boils down to the Admins afraid to stand up to the parents.
If I got in trouble at school in the '60's & '70's I knew it was going to be a lot worse at home from my dad with the belt. Sure we had a few knuckleheads, but from my experience today there seems to be a large % of them in the classroom.

This is number one issue in schools today. PC is rule one. That’s parent correctness.
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Good post and I agree parents are the issue. Too many mamby pamby window lickers that expect the school to raise their kids instead of jerking a knot in their tail when the kids need it. Schools now have to have a signed permission slip from the parents for corporal punishment. The kids who are taught to deal with discipline at home, aren’t often the trouble makers at school either.
I recently saw a prime example in my rural community. The school still has a respectable dress code and enforces it. New 2nd grade boy showed up wearing ear rings. Was told they did not comply with district dress code and he could not wear them at school. Momma and daddy threw a walleyed fit. Administration told them if putting earrings on their second grade boy was that important to them, they could home school. They pulled him out for two weeks. He came back last week, minus the jewelry in his ears. SMDH.

If you can find this district and have young kids you should move there. An administration that would enforce earrings and challenge the parents are one in a million. Guarantee you that this district turns out a decent product.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 07:35 PM

My son took cupcakes to his preschool class last week for his birthday (we ok'ed it with the teacher first). Teacher told my son he could hand out the cupcakes when it was time. One little boy in the class refuses to sit down when the teacher tells him to. My son gave all the other kids their cupcake and then told the little boy that wouldn't listen that he didn't get his till he sat down! LOL i about died laughing when he told me on the way home and we got the same story from his teacher as the wife and her chat with each other. She said she wanted to cheer my son on but restrained herself.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Papa Stan

That problem has been mostly mandated by the experts in the Legislature in Austin and the clowns in the Department of Education in Washington.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 07:55 PM

When I was a teenager some 35+ years ago, kids drank, did drugs and had sex. However, one thing I think has changed is the complete loss of self awareness around nude pictures/videos and sending nude pictures/videos. Many of the kids I've seen today in middle/high school have no issues asking someone to send them some nudes. What's worse is that the kids have no issues sending them. And if you think this is just a teenage boy thing, you haven't kept up lately. The girls are just as bad. Add in the global presence of social media and you have kids in Texas sending/receiving nudes with other kids all over the US and the world.

The other thing I have been seeing is the growing number of 19 year old seniors. Back in the day, the trend was for parents to push to get their kid into Kindergarten a year early so they could start first grade a year early. That trend flipped and suddenly parents wanted to keep their kid out of K until they turned 6 or hold them back in K so they would have an extra year to "develop." That trend has now led to a large number of 18 year old juniors and 19 year old seniors.

Along with the last one, the other thing I know has changed is that the kids are bigger and are developing earlier. When I was an 8th grader, there weren't many 6' boys in my class. I doubt I could have counted the number of kids in my son's 8th grade class last year that were close to 6' or taller than 6'.

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 08:41 PM

Getting them back to school should help. Found this.

More than 80,000 Houston ISD students return to campus for a 'year of flexibility'
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 08:59 PM

Umm, I'm currently a high school teacher, been in the industry for years, and I can tell you for a fact, that "kids are different," and much of it is because of what adults tolerate now.

Carl is somewhat correct, much to Vern's dismay.

...------

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 10:41 PM

We are not the best teachers. Friends seldom look up from their cell phones to say good morning on my morning walks.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Indianation65
Umm, I'm currently a high school teacher, been in the industry for years, and I can tell you for a fact, that "kids are different," and much of it is because of what adults tolerate now.

Carl is somewhat correct, much to Vern's dismay.

...------

And they might be in power...next...month.
Originally Posted by bill oxner
We are not the best teachers. Friends seldom look up from their cell phones the say good morning on my morning walks.

Pro tip - They're not your friends.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 11:11 PM

I think kids are different. They aren’t as mentally mature as they should be at pre teen years. I think that’s because of the hovering mothers and video games. I think the games mess with their brain. I’m speaking from personal experience. My boys are young and I limit their time to 30 minutes a day on video games after chores and homework. When they go to their grandparents for a weekend they are unmonitored on games. I can tell a difference. Discipline is not a problem at either house. I don’t put up with any bullsht and I know my old man doesn’t.

I also disagree with the post that it’s because of no spankings in school. I had spankings in school rarely and had some coaches that could hit pretty good but nothing like my old man. I wasn’t scared of a whipping, I acted good because that’s how I was supposed to act. None of them could compare to the 6’5” 250lb man that raised me. The only thing I ever got in trouble for at school was fighting and I never got a punishment for that at home.

I also think the school system is emasculating young men these days. Boys aren’t made to sit in a desk for hours, be monitored at lunch and then get a few minutes to run around with masks on and social distance after they get through eating every day. My youngest got involved in a fight last week because three kids spit in his smaller friends face and started pushing him around. My son was sticking up for his buddy and had to miss lunch and get another days lunch detention.

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
I think kids are different. They aren’t as mentally mature as they should be at pre teen years. I think that’s because of the hovering mothers and video games. I think the games mess with their brain. I’m speaking from personal experience. My boys are young and I limit their time to 30 minutes a day on video games after chores and homework. When they go to their grandparents for a weekend they are unmonitored on games. I can tell a difference. Discipline is not a problem at either house. I don’t put up with any bullsht and I know my old man doesn’t.

I also disagree with the post that it’s because of no spankings in school. I had spankings in school rarely and had some coaches that could hit pretty good but nothing like my old man. I wasn’t scared of a whipping, I acted good because that’s how I was supposed to act. None of them could compare to the 6’5” 250lb man that raised me. The only thing I ever got in trouble for at school was fighting and I never got a punishment for that at home.

I also think the school system is emasculating young men these days. Boys aren’t made to sit in a desk for hours, be monitored at lunch and then get a few minutes to run around with masks on and social distance after they get through eating every day. My youngest got involved in a fight last week because three kids spit in his smaller friends face and started pushing him around. My son was sticking up for his buddy and had to miss lunch and get another days lunch detention.

You're son did a good thing. Define "miss lunch", 'cause if they said your son couldn't eat, I'm comin' up there.

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

You're son did a good thing. Define "miss lunch", 'cause if they said your son couldn't eat, I'm comin' up there.

No grub for GW that day, but I don’t think the teachers knew because he didn’t say anything. That pissed me off but it did t seem to bother him too much. I let it go this time. The instigators got in much worse trouble. I know him and he’ll start a fight with his older brother for little reason at all with no chance of winning. He can handle himself and said he wanted to let it go. I’m just glad he was in the right.

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/19/20 11:37 PM

'Don't know you from Adam, but if half the stuff you post on here is true, I'd say that apple didn't fall from the tree. up
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/20/20 12:18 AM

Kids are changing because parents are changing. Parents are changing because the society is changing.

All by design of the evil one.

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/20/20 12:37 AM

'Don't know you from Adam, but if half the stuff you post on here is true, I'd say that apple didn't fall from the tree. up

My best friend has a ranch in west Tx. His son just graduated. His son and his buddies have grown up deer hunting with us. We started letting them drink cold beer around the fire with us last year. We have stories for days. They do too. I know we influenced a lot of stupid sht they did, but all turned out OK and some are playing college football. One thing they taught us is you don’t have to go to bars anymore for women. All you need is a Snapchat account. Wherever they go they can hook up on Snapchat. They’ve even tried to drag up Snapchat chics to the ranch but we don’t go for that.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/20/20 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Kids are changing because parents are changing. Parents are changing because the society is changing.

All by design of the evil one.

It's all going to happen sooner or later.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/20/20 04:04 AM

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Parenting and children have always been changing.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/20/20 11:56 AM

No grub for GW that day, but I don’t think the teachers knew because he didn’t say anything. That pissed me off but it did t seem to bother him too much. I let it go this time. The instigators got in much worse trouble. I know him and he’ll start a fight with his older brother for little reason at all with no chance of winning. He can handle himself and said he wanted to let it go. I’m just glad he was in the right.

Sometimes there is a price to pay for doing the right thing. Character right there. up
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/20/20 12:43 PM

Maybe parents should spend less time on social media and THF and more time with their kids. If you have Twitter and FB and are constantly updating the world on your activities (oh, you are having steak for dinner, good for you) not only is that a waste of time but it's just sad.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Are kids really changing? - 10/20/20 03:37 PM

We live in an ever changing world, parents and kids change with it.

When I was a kid, it was hard knocks compared to my kids life. My parents said the same thing to me when I was a kid, how easy I had it compared to them. My kids have less responsibilities then I had when I was a kid, but they also get into a lot less trouble than I use to get into. My son has always been an x-box kid, but you know what, he has never given me a lick of trouble, not once in his life has he ever got into trouble. Not once, it is amazing really.

Maybe if I had x-box as a kid I would not have been on the street making trouble. I just want my kids to stay out of trouble, and do good in school. I tell them that all the time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum