Texas Hunting Forum

Close Call with a Black Widow

Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 01:49 PM

I just felt a sense that there may be a danger under the latch of an ammo can that I was going to open. So I used gloves and a tool to open it and I was right...

[Linked Image]

I had one bite me earlier this year on my arm and it was very painful.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 01:51 PM

I've only seen one in my life in a park just outside town. It was an impressive sight.

Given the web all over the place, I can imagine why you were nervous to open the can.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 01:56 PM

I grew up on the northeast side of San Antonio, never saw a black widow till i was in my early 20's and my parents bought a property in south texas. We kill them at the ranch all the time.

I moved to the southeast side of San Antonio, about 25 miles from my childhood home. The first year after we built our garage i was cleaning up for my son's birthday party and i killed 8 of them in the garage.... i treat it regularly now and dont put on gloves/welding mask/hat etc. without giving it a look first!
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 02:05 PM

I hate those things. Snakes don't bother me but venomous spiders do.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw

My wife kills several a year.....I usually just move them where they won’t bother anyone

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

My wife kills several a year.....I usually just move them where they won’t bother anyone

That's why you're weird. roflmao
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 03:07 PM

Kill em all. I hate them.

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 03:07 PM

I’ve been called worse.....if I can move something to no longer be a threat I try to go that route.....

Wasps and scorpions around the house don’t get a pass. Can’t relocate wasps and they kill spiders so that’s two strikes against them.

Have had to many bad experiences with scorpions.....
Posted By: fishmorethanhunt

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 03:08 PM

HunterSteve what did you do for treatment?
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 03:11 PM

I thought Buzz was going to be involved with this story.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 03:13 PM

About once per summer we have tiny ants coming in the house looking for water. I go around the foundation with pesticide for the ants. When I do I also spray around the baseboards in the garage under all the junk, etc. I always find dead Black Widows the next day in the garage. That is in addition to all the others we find here and there and kill.

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 03:16 PM

I’ve been called worse.....if I can move something to no longer be a threat I try to go that route.....

Wasps and scorpions around the house don’t get a pass. Can’t relocate wasps and they kill spiders so that’s two strikes against them.

Have had to many bad experiences with scorpions.....

The deal I have with spiders is if they are outside they can live and work there and I won't bother them. However, if due to an amazing lack of judgement they come inside it's game on. Scorpions get wacked no matter where I find them.

I went to the back to make coffee this morning at the office and the floor looked like the centipede version of the Kentucky Derby. Don't know what's up with that.

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

[Linked Image]
stir
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 04:57 PM

Ortho Home Defense has kept them out of my garage.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 05:05 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 05:11 PM

I've been bitten by scorpion - hurts, goes away

brown recluse - hurts, swelling for several weeks, goes away

black widow - hurts, goes away

wasp/hornets - hurts, swelling, crater in skin; goes away

bees - throbbing pain, very unpleasant feeling - this is the one pain that I hate the most of all experiences
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 05:40 PM

I learned a painful lesson from a scorpion and since try to never put my hands where I can't see what is lurking, and/or wear gloves most of the time. Got hit by a hornet a couple of weeks ago, and it only hurt for a bit, but my arm was swollen for a couple of days. While in school I got bitten by a fiddleback - that was NOT a good experience. Very painful, I ran a fever for a while, and my arm became swollen to the point it had to be lanced - deeply. Still have a scar.

If inside my shop or house or a blind, all pests are eradicated.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 07:51 PM

[Linked Image]
stir

That would make a huge mess when smashed.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 09:44 PM

a buddy of mine got bit on the tip of his finger. Said he iced it and took some Tylenol and swelling only went to the first knuckle luckily.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by cabosandinh
I've been bitten by scorpion - hurts, goes away

brown recluse - hurts, swelling for several weeks, goes away

black widow - hurts, goes away

wasp/hornets - hurts, swelling, crater in skin; goes away

bees - throbbing pain, very unpleasant feeling - this is the one pain that I hate the most of all experiences

Dang you have some back luck!!!!
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 09:49 PM

[Linked Image]
stir

No Thank you.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 09:49 PM

I had a deer stand covered inside them once. Multiple nests and black widow spiders everywhere. I killed MANY of them that hunt. I had never seen that many in one spot before. Now I spray the stand a week or so before season starts.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 10:08 PM

I had a pop up blind become a black widow incubator once. Bowhunting, went to get in the blind and there were HUNDREDS of them in there. Probably 20-30 females and hundreds of males. The entire inside of the blind was covered. I truly hate spiders, all spiders, so needless to say I didn't hunt that morning. That was the last time I ever left a pop up blind up long term (it was up/brushed in for a couple of weeks).
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 10:48 PM

I had a pop up blind become a black widow incubator once. Bowhunting, went to get in the blind and there were HUNDREDS of them in there. Probably 20-30 females and hundreds of males. The entire inside of the blind was covered. I truly hate spiders, all spiders, so needless to say I didn't hunt that morning. That was the last time I ever left a pop up blind up long term (it was up/brushed in for a couple of weeks).

Gas, a match and different huntin’ spot
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/14/20 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Greg
[Linked Image]

roflmao
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/15/20 01:45 AM

What's crazy is we had to move some concrete blocks that are 2'x2'x6'. We stacked them, and then had to move them again. I killed 5 brown recluses and didn't kill everyone I saw unfortunately. It's crazy how they magically appear.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Close Call with a Black Widow - 10/15/20 02:02 AM

We got a ton of them at our lease in west Texas
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum