Texas Hunting Forum

FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good

Posted By: booskay

FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 05:47 PM

The majority of people do not realize that tires over 7 yrs old are no good. This happens most often on trailers , that have low miles, great looking tires and taking them on the highway is a formula for disaster. Most vehicles we drive, we wear out the tires before 7 yrs. , which is probably why few people know about the 7 yr rule.
Local driving at 40 mph on an old tire will probably work ---- dont go on the highway with it.
Just a hopefully helpful hint.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 05:49 PM

What if you’re not pulling the trailer? Let’s say....an illegal Russian is towing it. That okay?
Posted By: Cast

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 05:50 PM

Discount Tire says 10 years. I’ve never worn out a set of trailer tires.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Discount Tire says 10 years. I’ve never worn out a set of trailer tires.

I have.
Posted By: JCB

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 06:17 PM

Firestone told me they wouldn’t fix my Firestone truck tire that had a nail in it because it was almost 5 years old. I laughed at them and told them I would never buy another Firestone tire in my life and I fixed it myself.
Posted By: don k

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 07:39 PM

Goodyear wrangler tires are no good no matter what the age. POS tires
Posted By: redchevy

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 08:08 PM

Had a set of tires on our trailer that were 5 years old. Loaded just a hair under their max weight rating and were aired up per the side wall. Less than 80 miles down the road we had used both spares and blew our third tire.

Tires on our little trailer now are over 8 years old and made a 75 mph 400 mile trip last weekend.... nobody tell don k.... but they are goodyears... and they are on borrowed time.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 08:12 PM

5 yrs is the typical life expectancy.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 08:45 PM

My truck just turned 7 years old. Tires are fine.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 08:47 PM

I heard The Car Guys discussing this years ago when they were giving tire buying advice. They said (this was several years ago) 4 years is about the lifespan of the glue that bonds the tread to the tire core, so 4 years was the max age of a tire whether it's ever been on the road or not. I think I remember there being a 4-digit code inside a little oval on every tire that gives the week of the year it was made. 0417 is the 4th week of 2017. So even if you buy a brand new tire, if the code is 0405, that tire is over 15 years old.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 08:49 PM

The tires on one of my cars never last more than four years before cracking and deteriorating. I put less than several hundred miles a year on the car and the tires cost around $500 each.

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 09:02 PM

I don't even know the brand of mine. Here are my rear tires. They have never been rotated. The truck just passed inspection.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PMK

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
5 yrs is the typical life expectancy.

that is my time line too ...
Posted By: jetdad

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 09:32 PM

Many of the trailer manufacturers put cheap tires on to save money. They are usually total carp and degrade quickly. Mine started to come apart after 3 years.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 09:41 PM

OP, You throw away groceries ON the date listed, without inspecting? I don’t.

There are always visible signs before tires go. Look closely, see super small cracks? That’s a problem. See uneven wear? Problem. I could go on but if it’s a 7yo tire, if I really inspect them and they pass, I bet you they perform as they were designed to.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by don k
Goodyear wrangler tires are no good no matter what the age. POS tires

Millions would disagree
Posted By: angus1956

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 10:38 PM

Put new ones on my stock trailer last year they were from 1983 roflmao
Got my money's worth out of them.

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 11:22 PM

Milage matters. A normal set of tires should last you 60,000 to 80,000 miles.

Back in the good old days it was 6,000 to 8,000 miles.
Posted By: glens

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 11:46 PM

Change mine out on everything , car , pick up truck, trailers and camper every 5 years . Hurts when the camper runs around $5000 bucks on the cheaper ones for (8) 12R 22.5's. bang
Posted By: AMF

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 11:46 PM

I just (today!) had a full set of Cooper Discoverers put on my '09 Silverado 2500. Rated for 60,000 under 'normal' usage.

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/06/20 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by glens
Change mine out on everything , car , pick up truck, trailers and camper every 5 years . Hurts when the camper runs around $5000 bucks on the cheaper ones for (8) 12R 22.5's. bang

Wow. Just wow.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
OP, You throw away groceries ON the date listed, without inspecting? I don’t.

There are always visible signs before tires go. Look closely, see super small cracks? That’s a problem. See uneven wear? Problem. I could go on but if it’s a 7yo tire, if I really inspect them and they pass, I bet you they perform as they were designed to.

This is how I operate and have never had an issue.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 12:19 AM

I do NOT miss stacking 22.5’s or 24.5’s one dang bit. Glen, you have a big camper sir.
Posted By: gusick

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 01:03 AM

The sun ruins most trailer tires while it's parked. Keep it inside or cover the tires and they would probably last forever.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 01:04 AM

Trying to figure out why this even a discussion.
Posted By: booskay

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 02:22 AM

It is a discussion so someone doesnt take his boat on the hwy and get 4 flat tires,,, just trying to be helpful.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
My truck just turned 7 years old. Tires are fine.

Be careful, Bill. No kidding. Tires wear out from dry rot. May look fine until you get on the hwy at 70 in 95 degree weather. Keep both hands on the wheel. 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 02:57 AM

I learned the hard way just how much an impact heat and speed can have on tires. Erath ain’t kidding.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 03:21 AM

You need some BFG KM3's Bill.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by gusick
The sun ruins most trailer tires while it's parked. Keep it inside or cover the tires and they would probably last forever.

Spray them with Armor All, Cover them etc. After 5 yrs you are asking for trouble regardless, trust me. I have had my hands on a lot of them.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 01:46 PM

I rolled my previous pickup truck because I didn't know.

The police report showed 75% tread depth all the way around. Visually, they looked great, but the tread had gradually turned very, very hard - offering almost no traction. It was an old truck that I only used for my 3 mile daily commute to my shop, so the tires looked perfectly good at about 7-8 years old. No cracking/checking or flat spots.

Driving through a construction area at 45-50 MPH in a drizzling rain and it felt like I was driving on a layer of ice. The other cars around me were not have any problems at all, but I slid off into a ditch, rolled over and landed upright. Two witnesses said that it looked like I had hydroplaned in non-existent deep water.

Lesson learned.

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 01:55 PM

I believe the tires get "ate up" or deteriorate from the inside out
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 02:00 PM

I think all of today’s tires are junk.. I have numerous trucks and trailers and I can’t seem to get a tire past year 3 anymore. The last set made it 2 years and I lost 5 of 8 on a little 30 mile trip. The trailer might of had 2500 miles on it. My truck tires are 12 ply 22” Nitto Trail Graplers and I’ve had 4 either brake a bead or have a knot pop up in the middle of the tire with less than 2000 miles and less than a year old. These are $500 a piece tires no less which sucks. I’ve always bought name brand so called quality tires but I think the cheap tires will last just as long now days.. Everything’s junk now, ticks me off bang
Posted By: retfuz

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
What if you’re not pulling the trailer? Let’s say....an illegal Russian is towing it. That okay?

Nyet Komrad!
Posted By: TPACK

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 11:04 PM

I put new tires 2 times on my current 2003 Dodge 2500 because they were 7 years old. They still had good treads, but the sidewalls had lots of spider cracks and that concerned me.

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/07/20 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by TPACK
I put new tires 2 times on my current 2003 Dodge 2500 because they were 7 years old. They still had good treads, but the sidewalls had lots of spider cracks and that concerned me.

See?

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/08/20 10:22 AM

People will tend to think tight, be tight and not spend $ only to put themselves in a pickle. Spendthrifts can end up costing themselves more on the long run.

Plain & simple, I would have a hard time with any SIL who would have 7 year old tires on any vehicle or trailer hauling around my spawn or the grandsons.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/08/20 10:47 AM

I got 20 year old tires on my boat trailer, but i only pull it 10 miles .
Posted By: wp75169

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/08/20 11:07 AM

People learn the hard way. You gotta be tough if you’re gonna be dumb.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/08/20 12:37 PM

I can't remember the last time I replaced a set of tires on one of my trucks because the tread was worn down. I have a take home car for work so I don't drive my truck daily. I average about 7,000-9,000 miles a year on my trucks. Probably the last three sets of tires I've replaced (other than replacing the ones they came with) have been because of age and cracking with plenty of tread left. Once they get to that point I just can't bring myself to take off on a trip with them.

Re: FYI - 7 yr old tires are no good - 10/08/20 12:41 PM

Most things that touch the ground are important - shoes, foundations & tires to name just a few.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum