Texas Hunting Forum

BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT

Posted By: Mickey Moose

BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 01:50 AM

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1308945650202144768

== Edit ==
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/09/23/dallas-city-council-votes-cut-dallas-police-overtime-budget/

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The Dallas City Council voted 11-4 Wednesday night to cut $7 million from the Dallas Police Department’s $24 million overtime budget.

The police department’s overall budget as proposed by City Manager T.C. Broadnax is more than $516 million, while the general fund budget is more than $1.4 billion.

The day before the vote, five former Council Members, Rickey Callahan, William Blaydes, Jerry Allen, Gary Griffith and Mary Poss, who also served as Acting Mayor, wrote a letter to current council members expressing their concerns about the reduction in police overtime.

“We are urging you to reconsider your proposed $7 million cut from Dallas Police Department’s overtime budget,” the letter said.

Mayor Eric Johnson had sharply criticized the idea, as had Governor Greg Abbott, who blasted city council members during a news conference in Austin earlier this month.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 01:53 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 01:53 AM

Here we go. Buncha idiots
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 01:56 AM

If they had enough officers on the force to begin with, they wouldn't need much of an OT budget.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 02:05 AM

This keeps up and the presidential election will not be necessary when Trump is forced to declare Marshall Law.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by pegasaurus
This keeps up and the presidential election will not be necessary when Trump is forced to declare Marshall Law.

I think the election is the only thing keeping POTUS from unleashing the hounds. Hopefully, the day after he's reelected he acts decisively.
Posted By: Dan702

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
If they had enough officers on the force to begin with, they wouldn't need much of an OT budget.

Correct.

I would add that they likely could do a better job of managing their hours.

What do I mean by that?

I have watched from my high rise office dozens of times a small fender bender or disabled car be moved to the side of the road and not blocking traffic, but yet there are four Dallas police squad cars responding. Oftentimes with more than one officer in each vehicle. And they stand around with four squad cars and five to seven officers, for an hour and a half or more. No ambulances, no crime happening, just hours ticking away waiting for a tow truck.

It's a complex issue. Other factors are the starting pay for Dallas PD. Weak or basically non-existent pension for officers. It's tough to recruit top people when they can start out making 30% more in one of the suburbs.

But to the OT, there is certainly a lot of fat to be cut around what the officers are actually doing to reduce crime while on the clock... 4 cars for a flat tire?

Interestingly the alternative was to cut city managers pay... shocking that they voted to cut police overtime versus their own pay.

I'd prefer to see the money stay with police overtime and have a really strong accounting of how that overtime money is spent. As a manager I would want to see what am I getting for my expenditure.... Data on how OT is being used, when are we overstaffed or understaffed and in what locations? Use the overtime money, but use it when it actually matters and makes a difference in serving and protecting.

Not sure I'd lose much by taking a little bit out of the top management of the city. Many are making two to three times what a beat cop is making... And likely not contributing as much as they could be or should be.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dan702

Correct.

What do I mean by that?

I have watched from my high rise office dozens of times a small fender bender or disabled car be moved to the side of the road and not blocking traffic, but yet there are four Dallas police squad cars responding. Oftentimes with more than one officer in each vehicle. And they stand around with four squad cars and five to seven officers, for an hour and a half or more. No ambulances, no crime happening, just hours ticking away waiting for a tow truck.

It's a complex issue. Other factors are the starting pay for Dallas PD. Weak or basically non-existent pension for officers. It's tough to recruit top people when they can start out making 30% more in one of the suburbs.

But to the OT, there is certainly a lot of fat to be cut around what the officers are actually doing to reduce crime while on the clock... 4 cars for a flat tire?

Interestingly the alternative was to cut city managers pay... shocking that they voted to cut police overtime versus their own pay.

I'd prefer to see the money stay with police overtime and have a really strong accounting of how that overtime money is spent. As a manager I would want to see what am I getting for my expenditure.... Data on how OT is being used, when are we overstaffed or understaffed and in what locations? Use the overtime money, but use it when it actually matters and makes a difference in serving and protecting.

Not sure I'd lose much by taking a little bit out of the top management of the city. Many are making two to three times what a beat cop is making... And likely not contributing as much as they could be or should be.

That data is already tracked and kept. Just do an open records request

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 02:55 AM

Ok Dan, are you saying they’re out there riding the clock? What if no other calls at the time so they’re posted up as safety barriers for the ones involved in the wreck?
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:00 AM

Correct.

What do I mean by that?

What are they supposed to do? I bet if there was a shots fired call everyone of one those officers would be running toward the gun fire while you’re still looking out of your high rise window, obviously not doing your job, judging them for doing their job on down time.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
[Linked Image]

Trickle down, no different then fleeing Cali to TX. Fleeing Dallas residents will destroy Fort Worth and burbs, just like Californians are doing to Texas. Flee an ideology only to re-champion them again is the trrue definition of insanity or idiocracy or both
Posted By: BigPig

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:11 AM

Reducing the OT budget is only for scheduled OT, it doesn’t affect the officers going to court or getting hung up on a late call/arrest. In the end, it only effects the citizens.

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Ok Dan, are you saying they’re out there riding the clock? What if no other calls at the time so they’re posted up as safety barriers for the ones involved in the wreck?

How many cars do you think is appropriate to respond to a vehicle with a flat tire that is out of the way in a safe spot?

These guys wear red on their shoulders... Traffic officers.

So go do traffic stops. I see dudes going 90mph+ daily on 75. Target rich environment.

Traffic Officers turn up great things often! My buddy works traffic in a suburb and he said he loves it because Officers on traffic get way more drugs, weapons, drunks off the street than most patrol officers. Like he is passionate about getting wrecks to the side of the road and stopping vehicles that are dangerous/suspicious.

And yes, I have seen quantifiable examples of Dallas police Officers riding the clock.

That's why I said I definitely want them to have the full overtime budget, I'm pro police, but for there to be a very firm accounting of how that money is spent. Preferably conducted by a third party.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
[Linked Image]

Trickle down, no different then fleeing Cali to TX. Fleeing Dallas residents will destroy Fort Worth and burbs, just like Californians are doing to Texas. Flee an ideology only to re-champion them again is the trrue definition of insanity or idiocracy or both

Well said. Dallas still sucks.

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by KRoyal

Correct.

What do I mean by that?

What are they supposed to do? I bet if there was a shots fired call everyone of one those officers would be running toward the gun fire while you’re still looking out of your high rise window, obviously not doing your job, judging them for doing their job on down time.

Calm down. Take a deep breath.

I know that I might have said something you don't completely agree with but it's going to be okay.

No need to be flustered good sir.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:22 AM

Dan, you took a neighborhood cop course and are now think you have some sort of authority on the subject. You aren't...

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:26 AM

I’m super calm, but way to deflect and not answer any of the questions I asked. Typical, personal attacks, and trying to make it look like I’m over reacting, but that’s cool. I already know what your answers are.

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:29 AM

OT question, why in the hell have we been inundated with TFF losers over here lately. Have they gotten more strict over there or are a lot of them getting banned from their TDS because it’s getting closer to the election and they’re losing their [censored].

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:31 AM

OT question, why in the hell have we been inundated with TFF losers over here lately. Have they gotten more strict over there or are a lot of them getting banned from their TDS because it’s getting closer to the election and they’re losing their [censored].

Well, now that is a good question popcorn

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:33 AM

Hard to know the entire story from a high rise office. Just sayin.

I’d rather them provide safety than have someone pulled over on 75, causing a slowdown and/or more fender benders. I say that . . . . being the Jack azz doing 80+ with the flow of traffic as to not get run over up

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:34 AM

Kyle, I . . . . . kinda want to see you get riled up and go at somebody like a spider monkey. I don’t know why! roflmao

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Kyle, I . . . . . kinda want to see you get riled up and go at somebody like a spider monkey. I don’t know why! roflmao

Haha I’m way to calm for that. I’m a lover not a fighter. It’s hard to hit people on their chin when you’re only 4’ 5” lol

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:50 AM

He must have had his wife's platforms on to hit that number...
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2Beez

Noticed the influx as well.

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 03:56 AM

He must have had his wife's platforms on to hit that number...

I ain’t saying anything. He’s good on the trigger. All I need to know. bolt

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 04:18 AM

Dan, you took a neighborhood cop course and are now think you have some sort of authority on the subject. You aren't...

I aren't what?

I aren't think I have some sort of authority on the subject?

Well I'm aren't. But I are have a degree in Criminal Justice, and I are am have an opinion. Aren't it?

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 04:37 AM

L I B, M R A Dik ^^^^^^^

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 04:39 AM

Duk. My bad. It won’t let me edit for some reason. If only I had a degree.

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 04:42 AM

I aren't what?

I aren't think I have some sort of authority on the subject?

Well I'm aren't. But I are have a degree in Criminal Justice, and I are am have an opinion. Aren't it?

Lol
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 08:20 AM

If they are so concerned about the police budget and cutting costs perhaps they should start by eliminating their own security details....
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 09:36 AM

Ahhh . . ., the wisdom that comes up there from Texas Lite.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lazyjack

Noticed the influx as well.

Yep, and it’s not a change for the better!
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 11:25 AM

Dallas has treated it's cop like shat for years. It's a wonder they can find anyone go join at this point.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 11:37 AM

Dallas has treated it's cop like shat for years. It's a wonder they can find anyone go join at this point.

I'd move like you.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

I'd move like you.

^^^^^this peep
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 01:26 PM

blue city
Posted By: Western

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Reducing the OT budget is only for scheduled OT, it doesn’t affect the officers going to court or getting hung up on a late call/arrest. In the end, it only effects the citizens.

I caught a bit of the video call with the COP and the council on the news, one of the female council members told the Chief not ver batem but, " If one of your officers deals with someone near the end of the shift that should go to jail, just let them go" SMH
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 11:09 PM

The unseen enemy has lost the narrative, they are losing their carp. I am noticing how many old posters and TFF's have shown up saying how we shouldn't talk about politics. IMO, pushing the agenda. Also dogcatcher has been a little slow on the propaganda these days as well. Those that scream the loudest. Its just lovely to see the narrative switch and the clowns go down in flames.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 11:12 PM

Also like how the mayor got ahead of the bad news like he was actually doing something. Good cop , bad cop.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: BREAKING: Dallas, Texas City Council Votes To Cut Police Overtime Budget By $7 Million - KTVT - 09/24/20 11:33 PM

Can I vote twice? confused2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum