Texas Hunting Forum

Who else is this old ?

Posted By: Stub

Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:06 PM

I had completely forgotten about doing this every year. Makes you wonder what else did we do back then that is not done now?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:08 PM

Yup....every year
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:10 PM

x3
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:11 PM

Yep, I’m guilty.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:12 PM

They don't do that anymore? Did they stop using books, or do they get new books every year now?
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:13 PM

They just stare at a screen. It’s sad
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:17 PM

Done it. I remember the pre-cut ones with glue on the flaps. We had Buttercrust (bread) ads, and other ads, on them.

Speaking of old - I had a slice of birthday cake at my granddaughter's birthday party a few hours ago. It was a "confetti" cake, with sprinkles and candy in it. Holy crap! That artificial junk hit me like a ton of bricks. I've had more energy after a bottle, yes, I said "bottle", of wine. Hopefully this gin will counteract it. bolt
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:20 PM

Yes, Sir. Standard procedure.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:20 PM

Yep. When they ran out of the real book covers, we used brown paper bags. The cashier would give us extra bags for the book covers.

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:21 PM

The brown bags were always the best little art projects too.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:21 PM

Recess, teacher would ring a bell by hand to tell us to come back to class.
Each morning, pledge of allegiance and reciting the Lords prayer in class. I remember when they added "Under God" to it.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Done it. I remember the pre-cut ones with glue on the flaps. We had Buttercrust (bread) ads, and other ads, on them.

Speaking of old - I had a slice of birthday cake at my granddaughter's birthday party a few hours ago. It was a "confetti" cake, with sprinkles and candy in it. Holy crap! That artificial junk hit me like a ton of bricks. I've had more energy after a bottle, yes, I said "bottle", of wine. Hopefully this gin will counteract it. bolt

We would flip them pre-cut ones over so they were blank. Then we would draw what we wanted on them.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by retfuz
Recess, teacher would ring a bell by hand to tell us to come back to class.
Each morning, pledge of allegiance and reciting the Lords prayer in class. I remember when they added "Under God" to it.

I remember in elementary school we would take turns praying before lunch. Them teachers were awesome.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

We would flip them pre-cut ones over so they were blank. Then we would draw what we wanted on them.

This^^^
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
I had completely forgotten about doing this every year. Makes you wonder what else did we do back then that is not done now?

[Linked Image]

I definitely did that
Posted By: rickym

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:46 PM

I remember doing that and I’m only 30.
Posted By: AMF

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:49 PM

When I was a kid, my parents were on a party line. There were no EMS, the police had crash wagons. I remember coming home from school on the bus and seeing men in black and white striped uniforms chained together digging out the ditches. A white man in a khaki uniform sat in a folding camp chair holding a double barrel shotgun. Cigarettes were about 25 cents a pack and gas was about 25 cents a gallon. Snickers bars were a nickel and 12 ounce, glass bottled Cokes were a dime.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:55 PM

I was borne at home. I grew up on a cotton farm in Arkansas. I picked cotton. I plowed mules. I saved scrap iron. One of the happiest years of my life was when my daddy came home from the big war.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: erathar

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 10:56 PM

My grandmother would sew fabric book covers every year for all of her grandkids that would bring them to her. I had forgot about those. Good memories.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by gusick
They don't do that anymore? Did they stop using books, or do they get new books every year now?

They probably get new books every year to keep up with liberal educators changing biology and history so often.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 11:42 PM

Yeah. If you did em right, they were skin tight.

How about when the lunch room served"fish on Friday"?
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 11:48 PM

at least you had books. I had to walk up hill barefooted
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 11:51 PM

One thing I remember was making a kite. Two sticks, some paper (even newspaper) some string & flour glue. Old rags tied together for a tail. You could buy a store made 2 stick kite for $.10 & a fancy 3 stick kite cost $.15. I had a kite string break once & the string tangled in the electric wires. The kite flew for 2 days on its own & then it was gone!
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 11:54 PM

Yes.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/06/20 11:55 PM

Remember them well. No bookbags, no cell phones, no laptops, no kneeling...different times for sure.
Posted By: cm250

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 12:01 AM

Would use brown paper bags, funny papers or just regular news paper to protect our school books. Remember you had to sign the book on receiving it, some books were so old, had many signatures inside. Actually had history books back then as well with the same requirements, you owned it until turn in, or payed for it. Never paid for a book, knew it would have come out of my backside. World was a lot better off back in those days!
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 12:37 AM

Done that more than once. Geez, that was a long time ago.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 12:47 AM

Yep, I am that old.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 12:50 AM

I did that.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 12:58 AM

Yep
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by cm250
Would use brown paper bags, funny papers or just regular news paper to protect our school books. Remember you had to sign the book on receiving it, some books were so old, had many signatures inside. Actually had history books back then as well with the same requirements, you owned it until turn in, or payed for it. Never paid for a book, knew it would have come out of my backside. World was a lot better off back in those days!
Not really, same play book back then and as well. Remember the riots, same group of folks , same plays.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 01:15 AM

well. yes, but my mommy did mine banana
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by rickym

Me and my brothers and sister did it, I'm only 17..
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Yup....every year

smile ani
Posted By: Sailor

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 02:20 AM

yep...…….
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 02:23 AM

Yep!
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 02:35 AM

I never could get those dang corners right!
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 02:43 AM

My goodness, aren’t you all glad we have moved past these archaic, simplistic, racist, and white supremacist beliefs?
It is amazing any of us survived such. It is such a good thing that we have advanced to much more pure motives.
Glad we have the “yutes” of today to save us and the planet.

Ok seriously, man this bring a back some great memories. Man I loved the fish sticks.
Posted By: jsteve

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 02:44 AM

yep.

got of pic of Oxners school supplies: [Linked Image]
His history book had one page...blank.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 02:52 AM

clap
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 05:56 AM

Yep, I remember those and those big pencils they had us use in 1st and second grade. I also remember carrying a pocket knife as a grade schooler and playing Mumbly-peg. Carrying a pocket knife to school now would probably get you thrown in jail.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 12:42 PM

Yep, we had them. They had the limes on them to guide your cut and a big a tiger logo with all the businesses in towns advertising on them. Seems like there was a calendar with all the school holidays on them too. These days, my 17 year old uses a Chromebook, and has since the first grade.

Interestingly enough, one of his dual credit courses required us to purchase a book from the college, and it came vacuum sealed in plastic with the thinnest paper I have ever seen, and no comb or front and back, just holes. We had to get a three ring binder to put it in. The other book he had to have was an access code they mailed to us, all this for $380.00.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 12:58 PM

Retired from teaching 8 years ago and still had my students do this. Went to the local grocery store and they would donate all the paper bags I requested. They had to draw and color something related to the subject I taught on it that way they could easily identify their book. It also showed me who were creative and motivated so I could do a seating chart.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Old Shakie
Yep, I remember those and those big pencils they had us use in 1st and second grade. I also remember carrying a pocket knife as a grade schooler and playing Mumbly-peg. Carrying a pocket knife to school now would probably get you thrown in jail.

Pocket knives and in high school guns in the back window of trucks.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Originally Posted by Old Shakie

Pocket knives and in high school guns in the back window of trucks.

Our school still allows pocket knives, guns are a no-go though.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 01:29 PM

...time to go to the lunchroom

[Linked Image]

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 01:34 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 01:39 PM

We used Piggly Wiggly or Safeway paper bags for our book covers. Anyone remember using Ludens Cough drops for candy in the winter so you could eat it in the class room?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tin Head

And in the snow?
Posted By: Stub

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Originally Posted by Tin Head

And in the snow?

Don't forget it was uphill to and from school in the Snow laugh
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 02:51 PM

We only had 48 states in the Union. Where did the time go?

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear
[Linked Image]

BIG CHIEF TABLETS! ......how politically incorrect in this snowflake world.

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 02:58 PM

Remember when only winners got the trophy!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/07/20 05:10 PM

Done it many times.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/08/20 09:44 PM

Yep, on book day I learned to look for the books with the smart girls signed on inside cover because the would write notes/underline in the books before high lighters.

If did n't have your own vehicle, we used to bring out shotguns or rifles with us into the gym locker room after hunting before school and stand them in coaches office corner and leave them there all day and pick em up on way out after the after school practice just in time to hunt last light. Every pick up had a gun rack with some gun in it all the time.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/08/20 10:23 PM

Yep, those were my book covers. My school years were at the end of the guns in cars, they started banning anything on campuses.

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/08/20 10:39 PM

Took my shotgun to school a few times. Class of ‘99. My HS is 1/4mile from TMS
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/08/20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt

Yep, on book day I learned to look for the books with the smart girls signed on inside cover because the would write notes/underline in the books before high lighters.

If did n't have your own vehicle, we used to bring out shotguns or rifles with us into the gym locker room after hunting before school and stand them in coaches office corner and leave them there all day and pick em up on way out after the after school practice just in time to hunt last light. Every pick up had a gun rack with some gun in it all the time.

me too, but i didnt grow up round here.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/08/20 11:19 PM

x2
also going to the dentist, and that HUGE metal/glass syringe of Novocaine he kept in the large beaker of blue alcohol, and used the same one on EVERYBODY... eek2

taking lunch to school in a brown paper bag once I was 'too old' to be taking a 'lunchbox'.

learning/memorizing 'times tables' (multiplication) from a single half-sheet card that listed them all, up to 12x12

getting smacked on the palms with a yardstick by the nun for 'cracking-up' /talking in class.

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/08/20 11:24 PM

I now use my Kindle reader.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/08/20 11:32 PM

My german speaking ancestors who immigrated straight into Texas had to learn spanish, then english, and now I have to learn spanish all over again to get any help at the grocery store/walmart! rofl

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/08/20 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by oldoak2000
x2
also going to the dentist, and that HUGE metal/glass syringe of Novocaine he kept in the large beaker of blue alcohol, and used the same one on EVERYBODY... eek2

taking lunch to school in a brown paper bag once I was 'too old' to be taking a 'lunchbox'.

learning/memorizing 'times tables' (multiplication) from a single half-sheet card that listed them all, up to 12x12

getting smacked on the palms with a yardstick by the nun for 'cracking-up' /talking in class.

Still so weird to me to hear of nun teachers in Texas
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/09/20 01:52 PM

Did it every year.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/09/20 01:57 PM

We used newspapers to cover them too.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/09/20 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by rickym

Im 33 and remember it. We also used to pray before sporting events etc.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/09/20 03:55 PM

The Taco Villa in my town sponsored our school systems book covers. They all had the Taco Villa logo, and an extra flap that was a coupon you could tear off for a free bean burrito. Teachers had to oversee the distribution so no kid could abuse the system and make off with a stack of free burritos.

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/09/20 04:04 PM

Dang mean ol teachers roflmao

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/09/20 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Dang mean ol teachers roflmao

Not all.

Back seat of a 57 Chevy.

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/09/20 04:13 PM

If a teacher takes my burrito coupon, they go into the mean category.

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/13/20 05:03 PM

The teacher couldn't take these away from you because they are not candy. happy3
[Linked Image]

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/13/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear
The teacher couldn't take these away from you because they are not candy. happy3
[Linked Image]

Ours were Ludens
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/13/20 06:20 PM

Use to love both the cherry and licorice.
Posted By: jeepman3366

Re: Who else is this old ? - 09/13/20 06:49 PM

Yep our kids will ne3ver know the sacrifices
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum