Texas Hunting Forum

Texas cities to retire ???????

Posted By: Roll-Tide

Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 09:06 PM

What y’all got????

A hospital would be nice. Major airport within a couple hours. Affordability. Things to do.

I like Athens, Graham, maybe Tyler.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 09:32 PM

None that come to me.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 09:34 PM

Check the feet above sea level first.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 09:36 PM

10 years ago i would of said New Braunfels but that place exploded. I'd say Fredericksburg or Wimberley now.
Posted By: hawk

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 09:38 PM

For country living I'd say Mason. City liviing we like San Angelo. Of course not everyone can take the heat and lack of rain. But we love it here. Good hospital and great hunting/fishing.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 09:46 PM

House in the area with acreage or in town? Hobbies? Fish?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Payne
10 years ago i would of said New Braunfels but that place exploded. I'd say Fredericksburg or Wimberley now.

Can you say sticker shock? These areas are extremely overpriced.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 09:55 PM

ain't nothing for a stepper
Posted By: tlk

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 09:55 PM

Marble Falls

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
House in the area with acreage or in town? Hobbies? Fish?

Acreage is good. But fairly close to a town (15 minutes).

Hobbies. I do fish, hunt, hike. Watch tv.

Richland Chambers has interested me. But would like to have animals.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
What y’all got????

A hospital would be nice. Major airport within a couple hours. Affordability. Things to do.

I would pick Tyler for my major shopping and healthcare hub above the metroplex any day. Several areas between there and Canton are nice. Not a fan of Athens, Caucasian’s are definitely in the minority, which is fine, just know what you’re signing up for.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 10:09 PM

Canton is a consideration. Grand Saline also.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 10:20 PM

Conroe?

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 10:32 PM

Some where outside of San Angelo, like between Bronte and Angelo or Ballinger. Or the same with Abilene, Cisco to the east, Stamford to the north, Winters to the south. Abilene and San Angelo both have good medical facilities, good Doctors, and if you are a veteran good VA clinics. Small acreages are still reasonable, better if you go farther west. Also there is Coleman to the southeast of Abilene, also close to Hwy 67 to get to you in to DFW

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 10:42 PM

Chevy.
Posted By: DeRico

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Can you say sticker shock? These areas are extremely overpriced.

I’m finding some homes in New Braunfels affordable, given that it’s way better than living here in San Antonio
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 10:49 PM

Granbury is worth checking out.......northern edge of the hill country......gtg for hospital and shopping......45 min. from downtown Ft. Worth and 1 and half from Dallas....

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 10:53 PM

Fort Bend county sucks, especially. In the Katy-Fulshear area. Don't even consider it.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 10:55 PM

Odessa, thank me later banana
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 10:56 PM

Mentone is very nice this time of year.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 10:58 PM

If I had my way we'd be living in Alpine. Wife says it's too far from the grandkids.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by 7mag
Odessa, thank me later banana

Been there, probably won't be back.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by hawk
For country living I'd say Mason. City liviing we like San Angelo. Of course not everyone can take the heat and lack of rain. But we love it here. Good hospital and great hunting/fishing.

San Angelo is starting to grow on me and the wife for retirement. She loves to fish, I love to hunt. Housing is really affordable in Angelo. Has a mall, HEB, Wally Worlds etc oh and tweekers, lots of tweekers.

The tweeks wouldn't keep us away. I like San Angelo. We had considered Canyon Lake but meh not to sure on that anymore.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 11:03 PM

What about Bandera? Had a friend from there. He always talked about it. I’ve never been.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 11:05 PM

What about Bandera? Had a friend from there. He always talked about it. I’ve never been.

You might want to check your IRA.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 11:08 PM

I am telling you to check out Marble Falls - cool town with a lake and not too far from everything you need = still small but within distance of hospitals etc

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 11:09 PM

that's an excellent suggestion

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 11:09 PM

If there was a bigger road leading in and out of Bandera I would be all for it. Just too far of commute on a smaller road for me. I’ve got a coworker that has land out that way

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 11:10 PM

Also when I-10 gets fixed up Boerne would be recommended
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

You might want to check your IRA.

Irish Republican Army? confused2

Bandera's the (wannabe) Cowboy Capital of the World!!! ('Bama folks would love it, I'd surmise. bolt)
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 11:14 PM

Alpine or Ft. Davis are on my list....will probably be more in the Hill Country area some place....but it will not be in town.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 11:15 PM

Graham is nice...PK is a nice lake near by.
Granbury ....near lake Granbury

Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 11:18 PM

I would like to retire to a deep water lake house on Granbury.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/30/20 11:31 PM

How about Van Horn or El Paso? Both are reasonable in pricing and El Paso has good things.......
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 12:13 AM

Think outside the box. Tuscaloosa.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

Tuscaloosa, nope. Nice campus, nice strip. Couldn’t live there.

Only SEC city I could live in would be Fayetteville Ark.

Now, Alabama has incredibly low property tax and most pensions are exempt from state income tax.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 12:28 AM

I like the ones you mention in East Texas
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 12:50 AM

Bosque County....Meridian, Lakeside Village (Morgan), Clifton....Valley Mills, Walnut Springs...close to Waco and within an hour or so of at least 4 lakes.
Posted By: mikereiling5

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 03:03 AM

Graham, Granbury, Fredericksburg, Anything by Lake Texoma for me
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 03:25 AM

Canton is a consideration. Grand Saline also.

One of my places is between Grand Saline and Mineola....I like that area quite a bit. Not much in Grand Saline being a two stoplight town, but Mineola has about everything you'd need and it's only about 10 miles away.

Granbury is nice as well....wife and I went a few weeks ago and stayed at a B&B and walked around the square. It's a cool town.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Alpine or Ft. Davis are on my list....will probably be more in the Hill Country area some place....but it will not be in town.

I was gonna say Alpine, but apparently that's out, Ft Davis is nice. Take a look at Ft Stockton. On I-10 and about an hour, or a little less, from I-20. Has a hospital. 80 minutes to Odessa.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 03:44 AM

If you want affordable and close to a growing city the size of Mesquite, 2 hours from DFW airport, look around Texarkana and Maud area.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 03:56 AM

I'll retire right here where I'm at, one way or the other.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 04:02 AM

I’m good here. I wouldn’t mind having a place up in Colorado to hang out.

Y’all need to spend time in Granbury during the week and see if you’re OK with the traffic. That Cresson railroad crossing has its own page.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by deerfeeder

I was gonna say Alpine, but apparently that's out, Ft Davis is nice. Take a look at Ft Stockton. On I-10 and about an hour, or a little less, from I-20. Has a hospital. 80 minutes to Odessa.

I have stayed in Ft. Stockton since 2007 while mule deer hunting every year......that is about all I can stand is 3 weeks of it a year.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 04:58 AM

....but it will not be in town.

My thoughts exactly. My closest neighbor is a half mile away and that is too close. I am happy where I am.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 05:28 AM

Right here is fine by me.
Posted By: Sailor

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 06:28 AM

I'm retired....... in Eastland...………….2cents
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
If you want affordable and close to a growing city the size of Mesquite, 2 hours from DFW airport, look around Texarkana and Maud area.

Just get yourself a lot of random lengths of chain, post hole digger, a pallet of sakrete, and however many locks you need. You will have to chain everything outside of your home to the ground.

I have a friend in Texarkana that dreams of the day he gets out of there.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 10:51 AM

Tuscaloosa, nope. Nice campus, nice strip. Couldn’t live there.

Only SEC city I could live in would be Fayetteville Ark.

Now, Alabama has incredibly low property tax and most pensions are exempt from state income tax.

My brother lived in that area. Loved it.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 11:53 AM

PK or Albany
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 01:18 PM

Where & what is PK?
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 01:32 PM

Possum Kingdom lake. Look west of Ft Worth.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 01:40 PM

I wouldnt mind living in Bandera if I was retired. Its beautiful, not big, close to the city you should check it out. There's plenty of Axis deer out there if you get some acreage.

I also like Seguin

Those would be my two places to live if I moved outside San Antonio.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 01:46 PM

Seguin and the surrounding area is an under praised beauty of a spot and especially so if you do not have kiddoes. Waterfront homes there and acreage with waterfront is much more affordable than anywhere near NB, which is only twenty miles away. Seguin also puts you closer to the coast and closer to South TX.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 01:49 PM

Seguin and the surrounding area is an under praised beauty of a spot and especially so if you do not have kiddoes. Waterfront homes there and acreage with waterfront is much more affordable than anywhere near NB, which is only twenty miles away. Seguin also puts you closer to the coast and closer to South TX.

Finally we agree on something.....

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 01:51 PM

Just make sure your dwelling on the waterfront is at a safe height. The water has been known to come out of the banks.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 02:02 PM

Rusty is so right here. I would never live adjacent to a waterway where flood was a likelihood. Just remember, flood waters do not observe imaginary lines drawn on paper by engineers.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 02:05 PM

I like it right where I am..

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 02:42 PM

Rusty is so right here. I would never live adjacent to a waterway where flood was a likelihood. Just remember, flood waters do not observe imaginary lines drawn on paper by engineers.

Just speaking from personal experience. The Guadalupe River goes on a terror every now and then. Usually right after a drought.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear
Where & what is PK?

Possum Kingdom lake one of if not the prettiest lake in Texas. Bring your big checkbook though.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Just make sure your dwelling on the waterfront is at a safe height. The water has been known to come out of the banks.

I live on Lake LBJ & I never thought I'd see this lake flood homes like it did year before last. Due to total mismanagement by LCRA many homes were unnecessarily destroyed. I was very lucky & the water got within 1' of coming in my house.

Great place to live but going down. Waterfront properties are selling out & are crowded together not to mention the waterfront prices are ridiculous now. A lot of liberals from Austin starting to buy here as second homes or home-bases to commute from. My observation as an 18 yr local. If I was considering a move, I'd be looking at the hill country with some acreage. Those barndominiums builds look pretty good, but not sure the wife would approve. Distance to a HEB seems to be a prime factor also.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 03:36 PM

a few that I haven't seen mentioned ... Lampasas, Llano, Burnet ... lots of lakes close, decent hunting (if you can find a place), property starting to climb on price but still affordable (well, sorta). We have always dreamed of retiring on Lake LBJ but waterfront is stupid expensive ...

Smithville, LaGrange, Giddings, Paige are a few more that come to mind that are relatively close to a major metro area for medical, shopping, airport.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 03:38 PM

Know a guy that retired and bought a place on the water in Marble Falls. Got flooded soon after that. Then moved to a place on the Guadalupe just outside Seguin. Went from the frying pan to the fire. It’s not a question of if the Guadalupe will flood, but when.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
a few that I haven't seen mentioned ... Lampasas, Llano, Burnet ... lots of lakes close, decent hunting (if you can find a place), property starting to climb on price but still affordable (well, sorta). We have always dreamed of retiring on Lake LBJ but waterfront is stupid expensive ...

Smithville, LaGrange, Giddings, Paige are a few more that come to mind that are relatively close to a major metro area for medical, shopping, airport.

Man I do love the land out in that LaGrange area, but its kind of out there.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 03:52 PM

Gonzales, Luling to Belmont creates a pretty nice triangle.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Originally Posted by PMK

hour to Austin, 1.5 hour to Houston, 2 hours San Antonio ...

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 09:46 PM

According to Forbes.
Two Texas cities make Forbes list of best places to retire in 2020
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 09:59 PM

I think they should retire Austin.

JR

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by jrgocards
I think they should retire Austin.

JR

They did, they listed San Antonio and Dallas.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by PMK

Ha! I coached in LaGrange for a year in ‘95. My wife thought it was in the middle of no where. Hell I was ready to buy a house! I lost. We moved back to Houston the next year! Lol
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 10:10 PM

Check the feet above sea level first.

They are well above sea level.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 10:36 PM

2 miles outside Georgetown's city limits - 25 acres - first picture is out my home office window - all 7 grandkids and both of my kids live here - got no reason to go anywhere! God is good!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169
What y’all got????

I would pick Tyler for my major shopping and healthcare hub above the metroplex any day. Several areas between there and Canton are nice. Not a fan of Athens, Caucasian’s are definitely in the minority, which is fine, just know what you’re signing up for.

WAY too much traffic for me in Tyler.Hate it when I have to go to the VA there. Of course I live in Eustace. banana2

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
2 miles outside Georgetown's city limits - 25 acres - first picture is out my home office window - all 7 grandkids and both of my kids live here - got no reason to go anywhere! God is good!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 11:10 PM

Maybe I can move in with tlk

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 11:31 PM

Maybe I can move in with tlk

you are welcome anytime - come catch some fish

Now on the other hand .......................................... move in??? NOT

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 08/31/20 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

thank you Sir
Posted By: tex70

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 12:11 AM

Yep, that's a great looking place tlk cheers

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 12:18 AM

Very nice tlk

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 12:22 AM

Very nice tlk

X2

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 12:37 AM

We have been happy in the Tyler area with retirement. Great medical care and there is whatever shopping a person might need.

Lake Palestine will never flood, if so Noah will be in the area. Have seen a little water in boat houses, but no water in houses.

There is an airport and also a shuttle that goes to DFW airports.

Beats living on the coast, hurricanes and the traffic.
Posted By: Burnet.hunter

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 01:25 PM

Really like the area around Mason!!
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 01:36 PM

I think you're on track with the East Texas area. Anything from Canton and East.

The only problem is - everyone else also has the same idea - and real estate has gotten pretty pricey, still a good value compared to other areas though.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 01:39 PM

I'm gonna rerire on the coast somewhere, and fish my life away. Have you ever considered the coast?

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 03:44 PM

Oh wait, what is this??? You can move down here. The house next door is for sale!

[Linked Image]

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 05:06 PM

Have you ever considered the coast?

How many times do you like cleaning flood damage from your house, roof damage and lost possessions?

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 05:10 PM

Hey S.A. hunter, you could retire to Dallas and change your screen name to TX Lite hunter
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 05:13 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 05:21 PM

Hey S.A. hunter, you could retire to Dallas and change your screen name to TX Lite hunter

Nope, retiring on the coast and gonna learn how to catch reds......

Heading down there next week to some fishing.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

pretty place ... you must be east of Georgetown??? We lived on Eastview Drive for many years before moving to the west side of town ~20 years ago.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 05:54 PM

I was at coast for 30 yrs....this ol hill country boy had to return to the cedar breaks, rocks and hills. Got tired of the flat terrain, salt, sand and skeeters....plus Harvey forced my hand also but I was going to leave anyway...back where I belong...by a fresh water lake and deer sleeping in my yard.
Seen MANY “retire” to the coast only to leave and go elsewhere.
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Absolutely beautiful place! Been looking for a property like this myself, in this area. Have seen a few pop up and they are under contract in no time. Need to get in quick as prices are going up!! My old boss bought a 1400sf house on 26 acres in Florence about 5 years ago for 500k. You cant touch that property now for less than 750k-900k

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 06:51 PM

I am retiring to Montana

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
Originally Posted by tlk

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

pretty place ... you must be east of Georgetown??? We lived on Eastview Drive for many years before moving to the west side of town ~20 years ago.

Yes Sir we are out past Eastview High School

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
I am retiring to Montana

We had friends that did that, after the first winter they became winter snowbirds going to either the Valley or Arizona.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 10:17 PM

Wyoming and Rockport. Life’s to short not to venture with the seasons
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 10:21 PM

All you out of state guys, move to inner city Austin, you will love it.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gringocazador
All you out of state guys, move to inner city Austin, you will love it.

+1 - This
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Wyoming and Rockport. Life’s to short not to venture with the seasons

That’s a great plan....
Posted By: Retired and hunting

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 11:03 PM

Votaw Texas,we have 150 people according to the last census,40 minutes from Beaumont and neighbors watch out for each other

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/01/20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Retired and hunting
Votaw Texas,we have 150 people according to the last census,40 minutes from Beaumont and neighbors watch out for each other

Sea level and hurricane damage?
Posted By: glens

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by PMK

Had 100 acres 15 miles southwest of La Grange and sold 3 years ago. Dead end road, Buckner Creek in the back. Owned for 15 years. Wish I still had it. Made a small fortune on it. Live in Kingsland almost downtown on 10 acres and hate it as neighbors all around. Only good thing is HEB, Bank, Doctors Office and Oreilly's and Napa less that a mile away. You all wait around and Wifie will get bored of this new one and it will be up for sale or if I can get a deep hole in this Granite,, She (for sure) and I might stay here. .

banana
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 12:56 AM

San Saba and Mills county seem nice.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 01:03 AM

I'm happy right here where I'm at.
Posted By: glens

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 01:06 AM

Even if in good health in retirement, make sure the Doc and store is close.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 01:23 AM

Someone mentioned Eastland. Maybe Ranger area isn’t to far out.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 01:35 AM

Ranger would be a good place.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 01:49 AM

Not if you have to use the hospital in Eastland, that place is a joke.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by scalebuster

Not if you have to use the hospital in Eastland, that place is a joke.

I wouldn't expect much out of any small hospital between Fort Worth and Abilene. But the smaller hospitals are better than nothing and can get the patients stabilized and transported.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 04:14 AM

My retirement spot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 04:41 AM

I would.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

My retirement spot.

[Linked Image]

Gonna need some info on this place. Looks great.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 12:29 PM

A couple of years ago we had sold a property and looked pretty intensely at using the funds to purchase something in Ruidoso. Didn't find a whole lot of what we thought was real special and then sauntered off to Cloudcroft. Really liked it there, as in a whole bunch. Found some nice smaller acreage places outside of the village with value and, of course, NM being an income tax state, there wasn't much holding cost in the way of property taxes. We just couldn't get over wasting a day's time to get there and then another to get back. We want whatever place it is to be a center of get togethers, happiness and a haven for our entire family.

We've gotta be close enuff to the childrens and grandkids or wifeypoo would throw a hissy. In fact, if we were to win the lottery, we would still stay close by. Just like my daughters and the three son in laws too much. Two live in the Peoples' Republic of Austin with one of the wanting to get back here. The third lives down by Lake Placid just below McQueeney. Guess we'll end up suffering here in New Barnflies.
Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 02:54 PM

Dolores, Divide, Ouray, South Fork, Pagosa Springs, Del Norte, . . . .

Oh, Texas. Uh, Floydada, Turkey, Silverton.

grin

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 03:52 PM

It is nice up by Divide
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Salado area works for me..
Posted By: MO

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/02/20 06:19 PM

Lindale , 20 minutes to Tyler,. On I 20 half way between Dallas and Shreveport.
Up the road is Mineola, acreage probably cheaper there.
South of Tyler is Bullard. , another good choice

Mo
Posted By: TXNDN

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/04/20 05:36 AM

Junction.

No HEB but there is a Lowes grocery store.
Small hospital.
Llano or South Llano River nearby.
2 Feed Stores.
2 Auto Parts Stores
2 Hardware Stores
Hell, there's even 2 Dollar Stores!
Nice city park and even nicer state park 4 miles south of town.
3 public access points to South Llano River 10,12 and 13 miles south of town.
Numerous restaurants.
Acreage is relatively affordable.

I bought 50 acres in 2018 with a small cabin, barn, deer stands, good well and electricity. Beautiful area, lots of whitetail and axis and only a 2 mile drive to Boones crossing. I plan to split time between there and Toledo Bend.

I'm sure its not a big enough town for a lot of folks but its just right for some.

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/04/20 08:07 AM

Bullard is a nice rural small town, not far to Tyler or Jacksonville.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/04/20 08:24 AM

I see they are building alot of 55 plus retirement places up and around Frisco and Collin County. Smaller house on or near golf courses, and other subdivision have a lot amenities for older people to enjoy that are part of the HOA .

They have really made some really nice places for retired people to live up in the area, My neighbor across the street just moved into one, it's pretty cool all the activities they do for their residences.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Texas cities to retire ??????? - 09/04/20 11:47 AM

The "best' place to retire is totally dependent upon what you want and can afford. The best decision for one person may be the worst for another.

I will be quite happy to retire right where I am.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum