Texas Hunting Forum

New or slightly used Jeep

Posted By: David7912

New or slightly used Jeep - 08/08/20 11:02 PM

Anyone know a good place or had a good experience buying a slightly used Jeep?My wife thinking about making a purchase.I don't care for car shopping to much BS,price always changes once you get there and sometimes while your there.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/08/20 11:07 PM

Better find a good mechanic if you're looking at a jeep too.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/08/20 11:33 PM

Get new Bronco!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/08/20 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Superduty
Get new Bronco!

X2
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

What kind of problems have you had with yours?

When I sold mine it had 230k on it and was fine.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 12:09 AM

Bought my wife's 2015 with 2000 miles on it from a place in N. Ft Worth that specializes in lifted Jeeps and trucks. Don't remember the name but could find the papers if interested in a DFW place.

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 12:27 AM

She is trying to shop around east Texas but may have to travel,she is selling her FJ so trying to find a good place to deal with.

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 12:36 AM

Netdirectautosales.com

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by z71dustin

Never had one, but it's wildly known that they are problem childs.
I'm sure you probably took great care of yours, but that doesn't negate that they commonly have problems.
Posted By: blanked

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 08:27 AM

My wifes grand cherokke has been very reliable. 2 years old. Bought new
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 12:15 PM

www.collinsbrosjeep.com

Bring your wallet and get one with a hemi swap
Posted By: Mike W

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by David7912
Anyone know a good place or had a good experience buying a slightly used Jeep?My wife thinking about making a purchase.I don't care for car shopping to much BS,price always changes once you get there and sometimes while your there.

If you are talking about a Wrangler, the best deal is still new. The used Wrangler market is crazy. David Stanley in Oklahoma can save you some money if you are willing to drive. If used is the route you are going, avoid pre-2013 wranglers. Some early 3.6's had head issues, and the 3.8 is a weak dog.
Posted By: SR025

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 01:38 PM

She is trying to shop around east Texas but may have to travel,she is selling her FJ so trying to find a good place to deal with.

Selling an FJ for a jeep... I think that’s one of the commandments. “Thou shall not sell thy FJ for a heep”
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by SR025

Selling an FJ for a jeep... I think that’s one of the commandments. “Thou shall not sell thy FJ for a heep”

He wants to find out how the other half lives.....constantly at the dealership for repairs... roflmao bolt peep
Posted By: Bbcat78

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 01:49 PM

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Posted By: SR025

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted by SR025

He wants to find out how the other half lives.....constantly at the dealership for repairs... roflmao bolt peep

roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 01:59 PM

For the price they should ride and run better
Posted By: retfuz

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 02:06 PM

Wife's 2016 Cherokee Limited has been great. Zero problems
Posted By: Judd

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mike W

If you are talking about a Wrangler, the best deal is still new. The used Wrangler market is crazy. David Stanley in Oklahoma can save you some money if you are willing to drive. If used is the route you are going, avoid pre-2013 wranglers. Some early 3.6's had head issues, and the 3.8 is a weak dog.

Best advice in this thread. The 2012 3.6 had head and oil leak issues. The 2013 and newer is what you need to focus on.

Other advice, the Rubicon is worth it for the electronic lockers if you plan on using the 4wd. If it’s for your wife and not really Going to be used for off-road, then get the Sahara.

Another thing, insurance is shockingly cheap. I bought a 2013 Rubicon in April and my insurance is half what my one fiddy or two fiddy’s have been.

Oh and at some point you’ll need something done...Dallas Offroad is legit group to deal with, not sure in deep East TX.

The Bronco is great but it’s looking like next year until they are in numbers where you might be able to buy one right.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike W

Two years ago I debated selling a great FJ Cruiser with I think between 50 - 60k miles or trading for a Jeep Wrangler. If purchasing vs. trading read the fine print on Autotrader ads. Some prices shown don't include incentives you have to qualify for. It was mind boggling and very irritating. To get that price two years ago I would have had to recently purchased a New Holland tractor. You read that right. Also I would have had to be a member -- I think -- of Young Farmers of America, or something like that, be a veteran, finance with Chrysler, and a few more hoops.

David Stanley near OK City was the only one I found that was honest about the pricing. I was about a day away from going after one with plans to sell the FJ. I figured I would do better selling vs. trading. However, the dealer in Greenville made me an acceptable offer on the FJ. For $3,750 TT&L out the door difference between a 2014 FJ and a new 2018 4-door hardtop Wrangler -- I took it.

If you study used prices vs. new it is hard to not go new. At least you know you aren't buying something that has attempted mountain climbing.

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 05:53 PM

I'm sure you probably took great care of yours, but that doesn't negate that they commonly have problems.

What a surprise. Someone who is a expert on something they have ZERO experience with roflmao
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
For the price they should ride and run better

On any of these newer ones, I agree. You come to expect it from the old ones(which are just way cooler to me)

I’d keep the FJ

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 06:04 PM

I have a slightly used Jeep I will sell ya. Won't be cheap though... grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 06:11 PM

You better nawt!!! Your story with this one is just too cool to ever sell er

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 10:17 PM

What a surprise. Someone who is a expert on something they have ZERO experience with roflmao

The forum is full of them roflmao

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 10:33 PM

You don't need experience to read the internet is full of mall crawling jeeps that break down all the time.
It's not like it's a secret

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 10:43 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 10:46 PM

But I did look at buying a jeep, so I did research. It was a reoccurring theme that they aren't reliable.
So good for you, you had a good experience, but that doesn't negate all the info out there that they like to break down, a lot.

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

The forum is full of them roflmao

According to Consumer Reports, he's not wrong....

[Linked Image]

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 11:24 PM

But have you owned a jeep txhogslayer?
If not, you have zero experience and aren't qualified to speak on it!

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 11:36 PM

You do have zero experience if you haven't actually had one. roflmao

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 11:37 PM

The wife's 2015 Sahara has run flawlessly for over 4 years. Regular oil changes and tire rotations all it's ever required. Would I want it for MY daily driver - no, just because it rides too rough for me.

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 11:44 PM

[Linked Image]

There's mine. Sadly, in its current state it is still better quality than what they are putting out now....

Now what do you want to talk about, fishing?

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 11:46 PM

I have never been pregnant, can I not have an opinion on that? roflmao

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/09/20 11:54 PM

[Linked Image]

There's mine. Sadly, in its current state it is still better quality than what they are putting out now....

Now what do you want to talk about, fishing?

It's too hot to fish right now!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 12:30 AM

I guess there’s no point in researching a product or asking others for their opinion before buying something to know if it’s worth owning or not. Just buy it and hope for the best. Then you’ll know!

That’s almost as ludicrous as owning one item and thinking it represents all the rest. Mine was great, so the other million are great, too!

Man, some people sure do get butthurt when they hear the truth about their baby.

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I guess there’s no point in researching a product or asking others for their opinion before buying something to know if it’s worth owning or not. Just buy it and hope for the best. Then you’ll know!

That’s almost as ludicrous as owning one item and thinking it represents all the rest. Mine was great, so the other million are great, too!

Man, some people sure do get butthurt when they hear the truth about their baby.

Not butthurt in the slightest and certainly not my baby as I have zero interest in ever getting another one. I am highly amused though when jeeps come up with all the people who are experts on the newer models when they've either never owned one or are comparing a JL to a CJ.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 12:38 AM

What vinyl letters are you going to put on the hood?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 12:48 AM

Not butthurt in the slightest and certainly not my baby as I have zero interest in ever getting another one. I am highly amused though when jeeps come up with all the people who are experts on the newer models when they've either never owned one or are comparing a JL to a CJ.

Right. Owning one equals expert status on the rest. Owning none means you can’t read all the reports. Do you not see how ridiculous that line of thinking is?

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 01:07 AM

Right. Owning one equals expert status on the rest. Owning none means you can’t read all the reports. Do you not see how ridiculous that line of thinking is?

Sure. Now who has that line of thinking?

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 01:12 AM

You all need to quit arguing and order the new Bronco.

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 01:14 AM

barf

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 01:16 AM

barf

Well I have seen your "Jeep" so there is that.

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 01:23 AM

So......you decide.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 01:27 AM

Anyone know a good place or had a good experience buying a slightly used Jeep? My wife thinking about making a purchase.I don't care for car shopping to much BS,price always changes once you get there and sometimes while your there.

I think it is best to ignore the advice and start shopping for a Jeep.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 01:34 AM

My son was eaten up with Jeeps for about 10 years. Literally had 5 of them at the same time(no I don’t know why).
He finally got tired of fixing them and got in to Toyota’s.

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 01:38 AM

barf

Below the belt..... roflmao

Better to have a late 80's Bronco.

Or this....

[Linked Image]

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 01:40 AM

barf

Or this....

[Linked Image]

My apologies.

I am a Ford guy...... farmer

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 01:52 AM

So......you decide.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tbar
My son was eaten up with Jeeps for about 10 years. Literally had 5 of them at the same time(no I don’t know why).
He finally got tired of fixing them and got in to Toyota’s.

Tundra is my other vehicle. up

Lexus GX460 is my wife's. When I get her a new one I am taking this and turning it into a most capable off-road hunting vehicle. Has the same frame as a 4runner and the 4wheel drive system of the Land Cruiser Prado.

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 02:12 AM

barf

Or this....

[Linked Image]

My apologies.

I am a Ford guy...... farmer

No worries. I like some Fords too.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 02:00 PM

Back on topic, try Cargurus.com. They consolidate ads from dealers and individuals. Tons of filters you can apply.

I bought my daughter a Wrangler. To the point above, most used ones sell close to what you can get a new one for. And the price doesn't vary much by model year. All JKs price out about the same if they have the same mileage/options even if they're 8 model years apart.

So I only looked for a newer one. It took a while, but I finally found a deal on one from the Toyota dealer in College Station.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 02:24 PM

That’s true. Almost worth buying new. Many times it ends up cheaper with rebates and stuff. Depending on what you are looking for, I’d call some dealers and make them work for it. I bought my truck in Greenville and they beat my local guys by several thousand. I wasn’t in a hurry and really wasn’t looking hard but they kept at it til I got the deal I wanted.

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 04:43 PM

I have never been pregnant, can I not have an opinion on that? roflmao

I'd venture to say most people with cervix's (I think that is what we are supposed to call them now rolleyes ) would say you can't....unless it's pertaining to the donor portion of the pregnancy....you can have an opinion on that.

In my opinion...it's one thing to say "you're gonna need a good wrench" versus they have issues with X, Y and Z...one is a valuable opinion and one makes you look like you talk out of your donkey or could be like many of the olds around here, just talk to get post counts up. confused2 Regardless the reason they both have the same value.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 06:32 PM

My Wrangler has been flawless.
Posted By: Mike W

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/10/20 06:33 PM

63k on the wife's 2015, had an injector stick around 40k got it fixed for $100

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/16/20 02:18 AM

She bought one today,I drove it I like it so far actually rides better than the FJ. [Linked Image]

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/16/20 03:43 PM

Good deal. What year? Now get it lifted and new tires and wheels. My wife loves hers and sitting up over everyone.

Re: New or slightly used Jeep - 08/16/20 03:55 PM

Congrats
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum