Texas Hunting Forum

Today in Texas History

Posted By: Sniper.270

Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 03:13 PM

August 1st, 1966 -- Gunman opens fire on students at UT

On this date in 1966, Charles Joseph Whitman began a killing rampage that left seventeen dead and thirty-one wounded in one of the worst mass murders in modern United States history. Whitman first killed his mother in her apartment and his wife in their residence. He then went to the tower on the University of Texas campus where he clubbed a receptionist, who later died, then killed two other people and wounded two more. Gaining the observation deck at an elevation of 231 feet he began firing on persons crossing the campus and others on nearby streets, killing ten and wounding thirty-one (one died a week later). Police returned his fire from the ground while police officers Ramiro Martinez and Houston McCoy gained the observation deck, where they shot and killed Whitman. An autopsy revealed a tumor in Whitman's head but medical authorities disagreed over its effect on his actions.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 03:15 PM

Social workers couldn't have stopped him.
texas
salute to the police.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 03:17 PM

Remember it well. angel texas
Posted By: Cast

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 03:18 PM

I remember.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 03:34 PM

Bill used to take Charles Whitman quail hunting
Posted By: MO

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 03:35 PM

I remember visiting the campus in 69- or 70, My future , ex brotherinlaw , showed us some of the bullet marks in concrete and granite.

Part of the reason I chose to attend college elsewhere.

MO
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 03:36 PM

I remember it.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 04:56 PM

I was just a tadpole....14 months old
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 05:05 PM

I was 6yo, no 24hr news.
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 05:51 PM

I was 5 but remember it on the news.......When it was real news.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 05:59 PM

I was 13. I came home from school and watched Walter Cronkite reporting on it on the evening news.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 06:01 PM

Remember it well
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 06:18 PM

I remember it. I was 11 years old.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 07:16 PM

weird how many remember but dont remember the why.

I got to looking and found similarities with modern day shooters. Ex military, on pills-medications, note left of hearing voices and impluses.

I talked with a Doctor once for about two hours and tried to convey to him my fears that I felt come overwhelming violent impulses

side effects of dextroamphetamine
signs of psychosis--hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not real), new behavior problems, aggression, hostility, paranoia;
Posted By: maximum

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/01/20 07:25 PM

Whitman also had a growth in his head.
I don't remember if it was cancerous or
not. His father was also extremely abusive
and physically and emotionally abusive to
his mother. Put regular dope use and poor
sleep and stress on top of that and nothing
good can come of it
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/02/20 12:35 AM

I remember it well. Seems to me that the policeman that shot him died just a few years ago.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/02/20 01:19 AM

I remember it from the news coverage.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/02/20 01:44 AM

I was 15 months old but my mom was working for MA Bell downtown and was told to work OT till the threat was silenced. I have the CD "The deadly Tower" think I'll dig it up and watch it tonight.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/02/20 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Remember it well. angel texas

The world started changing.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/02/20 03:35 AM

texas angel texas
angel texas angel
texas angel texas
angel texas angel
texas angel texas
angel texas angel
texas angel texas
angel texas angel
texas angel texas
angel texas angel
texas angel texas
angel texas angel
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/02/20 04:49 AM

My mom was 6!
Posted By: leswad

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/02/20 12:28 PM

Exerts from a Texas Monthly article:

JAMES DAMON was a graduate student in comparative literature. A retired real estate investor, he lives in Austin.
My wife was six months pregnant, and she was stuck on the fourth floor of the Tower, in the stacks. I looked around and didn’t see any police, so I went home and got my gun. It was an M1 carbine, which I’d bought for $15 when I was discharged from the Army. I went to the top of the new Academic Center and tried to keep out of sight. That was the closest I could get. I only saw him once, long enough to take aim, but from time to time I would shoot over the ledge of the observation deck and try to hit him.

CLIF DRUMMOND was a senior and the student body president. He is a high-tech executive in Austin.
Students with deer rifles were leaning up against telephone poles, using the pole, which is rather narrow, as their shield. And they were firing like crazy back at the Tower.

FORREST PREECE was a junior. A retired advertising executive, he lives in Austin.
I saw two guys in white shirts and slacks running across the lawn of the Pi Phi house, hustling up to its porch with rifles at the ready. Someone was yelling, “Keep down, man. Keep down!”

BRENDA BELL: I don’t know where these vigilantes came from, but they took over Parlin Hall and were crashing around, firing guns. There was massive testosterone.

J. M. COETZEE was a Ph.D. candidate in English literature and linguistics. A novelist who won the 2003 Nobel Prize for literature, he lives in Adelaide, Australia.
I hadn’t fully comprehended that lots of people around me in Austin not only owned guns but had them close at hand and regarded themselves as free to use them.

BILL HELMER: I remember thinking, “All we need is a bunch of idiots running around with rifles.” But what they did turned out to be brilliant. Once he could no longer lean over the edge and fire, he was much more limited in what he could do. He had to shoot through those drain spouts, or he had to pop up real fast and then dive down again. That’s why he did most of his damage in the first twenty minutes.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/96-minutes/
Posted By: tigger

Re: Today in Texas History - 08/02/20 12:45 PM

Remember well
Had summer job with highway department picking up trash and cleaning roadside parks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum