Texas Hunting Forum

Schooling Tadpoles

Posted By: TexFlip

Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 04:31 PM

Yesterday evening I noticed 3 or 4 large schools of tadpoles in my pond. This is a first for me. It was dug in August and filled with TS Imelda. I haven't stocked it but there are warmouth and bass from the bayou that filled it. Is it common occurrence for tadpoles to school? Seems like they'd be easy picking for the fish. [Linked Image]
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 04:33 PM

I don't see them in my backyard pond anymore.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by TexFlip
Yesterday evening I noticed 3 or 4 large schools of tadpoles in my pond. This is a first for me. It was dug in August and filled with TS Imelda. I haven't stocked it but there are warmouth and bass from the bayou that filled it. Is it common occurrence for tadpoles to school? Seems like they'd be easy picking for the fish. [Linked Image]

I've read that sometimes tiny guys like that will school together to look like a bigger fish, so predators avoid them.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

I've read that sometimes tiny guys like that will school together to look like a bigger fish, so predators avoid them.

X2
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 05:21 PM

I can't see your picture well on my phones small screen.
Are you sure they're tadpoles?

This time of year Mud cat fry congregate in balls for protection. Usually appear like black balls from softball size up to beach ball size.
Tadpole schools are usually lighter color. Mud cat balls are black.

Might be a good idea to get a long handle fine mesh dip net and catch some to be sure they're tadpoles.

Because if they're not tadpoles you probably want to take action to prevent mud cat taking over.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 05:22 PM

Never seen that before either, pretty cool up

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler

This time of year Mud cat fry congregate in balls for protection. Usually appear like black balls from softball size up to beach ball size.

Might be a good idea to get a long handle fine mesh dip net and catch some to be sure they're tadpoles.

Because if they're not tadpoles you probably want to take action to prevent mud cat taking over.

I call them bullheads .
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Never seen that before either, pretty cool up

That is cool.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 05:34 PM

I have seen tadpoles do that before and just like a large school of fish there is safety in numbers.
Posted By: StephenB

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 05:46 PM

Kind of like when you are shooting at a covey of quail. You have to pick an individual bird to shoot at. If you shoot at the whole group you won't hit anything.

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by StephenB
Kind of like when you are shooting at a covey of quail. You have to pick an individual bird to shoot at. If you shoot at the whole group you won't hit anything.

Nailed it. I don't miss.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler

I'll take my pool skimmer over this evening or tomorrow and see if I can't scoop some out.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Nailed it. I don't miss.

Much easier to line them up on the ground.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

Nailed it. I don't miss.

Kind of like shooting dove off a mesquite tree branch.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Nailed it. I don't miss.

Kind of like shooting dove off a mesquite tree branch.

I do that too roflmao the sooner I get a limit, the sooner I can eat them.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/10/20 06:48 PM

Looks like catfish to me.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Schooling Tadpoles - 07/11/20 01:36 PM

Whether tadpoles or mudcats (they both will school) they are both hard to school. They don't want to larn for nuthin.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum