Texas Hunting Forum

Civil Disobedience

Posted By: Hudbone

Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 12:33 PM

We have a view from our home. It points Southeast and when thunderstorm roll up the coastal plains it can be an awesome sight. I had heard fireworks sales were way up. The City, in its infinite wisdom, shut down their public display. Belief mine, I saw more bursting fireworks last night than ever. Neighbors on two sides had bought big ones which were going off directly over our home and Wifeypoo didn't like that too much. It was a choose your battles issue for me. There is a whole lot of pent up something something out there.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 12:41 PM

I live. In a restricted subdivision. One of the restrictions is no fireworks. They went off across the street.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 12:44 PM

Same here, we are in the city limits and no one cared. The neighborhood was a site to see. The wife and I walked outside and enjoyed the show. The neighbors were having a ball.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 01:50 PM

We are also in the city limits. I put my dogs In the kennels at the first pop, which was 7:30 last night. I’ve been tempted to call the PD or FD, and ask when did fireworks become legal in the city limits. I’m worried about somebody setting the neighborhood ablaze, since we are in a cedar break.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
We are also in the city limits. I put my dogs In the kennels at the first pop, which was 7:30 last night. I’ve been tempted to call the PD or FD, and ask when did fireworks become legal in the city limits. I’m worried about somebody setting the neighborhood ablaze, since we are in a cedar break.

FD won't respond to fireworks going off. It's not part of our job description.

PD will probably take their sweet time and not fo a whole lot of investigation...
Posted By: JCB

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 02:23 PM

There was 10 times the fireworks around here that there normally is. Guess the city decided not to have their show so everyone decided to have their own. I cant imagine all the calls the PD got last night from all the tattle tales! roflmao flag
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 02:29 PM

You live in Kissing Tree?

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 02:32 PM

KT is out in the county.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 02:37 PM

You can't stop people from getting together and having a good time...We will find a way!

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

You live in Kissing Tree?

Nope, right at the very edge of city limits. Not that far from KT.
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 03:06 PM

Lots of fire works in this rural area,counted 27 at one time (Very high bursting), driving our dogs batty, also bothering my Wife, Me ? I was happy. it just made me think folks want to see all the crap to go away, liberty and happiness, yahhhhhhhhhhhh

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by BradyBuck

PD will probably take their sweet time and not fo a whole lot of investigation...

Back in the 60’s when fireworks were first banned in a lot of city limits, the FD was in charge of enforcement. They would watch vehicles leaving firework stands, then pull over and issue citations as they entered city limits. I would call this act part of their job description, it’s called “fire prevention”. Guess y’all just wait around for fires now, instead of trying to prevent them. What happens in all that spare time at the firehouse? Working out, cooking, and washing fire trucks?

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 03:13 PM

Watching the fireworks

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 03:15 PM

I insure tons of round bales. As the subdivisions have expanded and encroached into the farm/ranch land, my guys have learned to adjust their hay bale count and costs prior to the Fourth.
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 03:17 PM

Back in the 60’s when fireworks were first banned in a lot of city limits, the FD was in charge of enforcement. They would watch vehicles leaving firework stands, then pull over and issue citations as they entered city limits. I would call this act part of their job description, it’s called “fire prevention”. Guess y’all just wait around for fires now, instead of trying to prevent them. What happens in all that spare time at the firehouse? Working out, cooking, and washing fire trucks?

You have the perfect signature.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
We have a view from our home. It points Southeast and when thunderstorm roll up the coastal plains it can be an awesome sight. I had heard fireworks sales were way up. The City, in its infinite wisdom, shut down their public display. Belief mine, I saw more bursting fireworks last night than ever. Neighbors on two sides had bought big ones which were going off directly over our home and Wifeypoo didn't like that too much. It was a choose your battles issue for me. There is a whole lot of pent up something something out there.

the sleeping giant has awaken.
Posted By: Concho

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 05:20 PM

Everyone seemed to disobey last night, folks celebrating our Independence by exercising their Rights. What did the government expect when they shutdown all the firework shows? flag texas

A bit of sarcasm and humor there in case I was misunderstood.....this is the story I hear from folks.

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 05:54 PM

Not everyone disobeyed, I being one that didn’t. Not all fireworks shows were cancelled, a person could find one if they really wanted to see some. I just have seen bad things happen with personal fireworks. Trips to the hospital for firecrackers going off in hands due to short fuses, Roman candles and bottle rockets bounced off the side of someone’s head. And houses set ablaze from aerial fireworks. That’s also why cedar shingles are not allowed a lot of places also. Brady Buck should be familiar with the wood shingle issue, I’ve seen quite homes in Abilene that still have them.

Ok, rant over.
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tin Head
Originally Posted by Hudbone

the sleeping giant has awaken.

Maybe I am reading this thread incorrectly. But of all the limits having been placed on our liberties lately, fireworks is where we have drawn the line? Fireworks is where we resist? Wonder where all those fireworks come from?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 06:09 PM

Lots has changed since the 60's. Major increase in fire prevention, major decrease in number of structure fires, major increase in total call volume.

Not gonna speak for Law Enforcement, but my bet is they have bigger problems than some fireworks going off. And if it is happening in an entire town, with only so many patrol officer on duty at once, they cannot get to every one of those calls. PD and FD have to prioritize call types when the system gets taxed.

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 06:11 PM

Not everyone disobeyed, I being one that didn’t. Not all fireworks shows were cancelled, a person could find one if they really wanted to see some. I just have seen bad things happen with personal fireworks. Trips to the hospital for firecrackers going off in hands due to short fuses, Roman candles and bottle rockets bounced off the side of someone’s head. And houses set ablaze from aerial fireworks. That’s also why cedar shingles are not allowed a lot of places also. Brady Buck should be familiar with the wood shingle issue, I’ve seen quite homes in Abilene that still have them.

Ok, rant over.

How many injuries and deaths have you seen or heard about from automobile crashes?

Millions of people still drive every day.

You cannot legislate away the free will of people.

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 06:17 PM

I get it Fireman JG, but the response of “It’s not part of our job description” rubs me the wrong way.

A few high dollar citations passed out on nights when the fireworks are being set off in the city limit would go along way to curbing the issue. And the city would get some much needed revenue.
But I’m sure that’ll never happen here. City just passed ordinance that any class B and C misdemeanors are getting ticket only. Even weed possession. The beginnings of total lawlessness.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 06:50 PM

Looks like it was a win-win got to see a fireworks show and didn’t cost any money up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 08:47 PM

Our neighbors that have obnoxious barking dogs took their dogs out of town and then proceeded to shoot fireworks most of the night. They said their dogs were scared of fireworks. I will shoot off our fireworks after their dogs return, I figure a pack of black cats will last about 2 weeks. Payback is so much fun. clap

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Our neighbors that have obnoxious barking dogs took their dogs out of town and then proceeded to shoot fireworks most of the night. They said their dogs were scared of fireworks. I will shoot off our fireworks after their dogs return, I figure a pack of black cats will last about 2 weeks. Payback is so much fun. clap

I’ll bet it will be.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 08:50 PM

roflmao
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 08:59 PM

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 08:59 PM

I get it Fireman JG, but the response of “It’s not part of our job description” rubs me the wrong way.

A few high dollar citations passed out on nights when the fireworks are being set off in the city limit would go along way to curbing the issue. And the city would get some much needed revenue.
But I’m sure that’ll never happen here. City just passed ordinance that any class B and C misdemeanors are getting ticket only. Even weed possession. The beginnings of total lawlessness.

It's not the job of firefighters to be enforcing law. That's for law enforcement.

Our fire investigators could possibly respond but what are they going to do?

PD will respond but i highly doubt they are able to ever actually do much if it's just a few popping off here and there.

Now if someone is in the street lighting off an entire show, that's different.

FD will most likely not respond unless there is an actual fire or injury.

We have a lot of other things going on besides trying to chase down kids lighting off black cats.

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 09:01 PM

These were not kids, most of them were adults.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 09:04 PM

I did not have any fireworks and felt left out so I went out and unloaded all my magazines into the air!

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 09:04 PM

....I'll also add a funny side note.

I do remember when I first got on the FD that PD would confiscate fireworks throughout the city and guess where they brought them?

Yep, to the fire station where we would all split them up and go light them off at home off duty.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 09:07 PM

Live in the country on a hill with a view. What a time I had last night watching all the fireworks in the sky. Pulled up a chair had a couple of bourbon's it lasted so long. May go out again tonight as there are always some left over for some reason.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 09:13 PM

Greatness!

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 09:41 PM

It's not the job of firefighters to be enforcing law. That's for law enforcement.

PD will respond but i highly doubt they are able to ever actually do much if it's just a few popping off here and there.

We have a lot of other things going on besides trying to chase down kids lighting off black cats.

^^Yup
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

^^Yup

Our FD handles fireworks calls because we're too busy working the shootings.

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 10:02 PM

"A few high dollar citations" that wouldn't get paid & end up w/someone in jail in the future. What it'd boil down to is people going to jail for fireworks.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 10:33 PM

Fire chief lives on my street. Figure he could take care of any fires I start. Luckily havent started any yet. It was a war zone last night in the city though. Ain't no one stopping anything.

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by LFD2037

"A few high dollar citations" that wouldn't get paid & end up w/someone in jail in the future. What it'd boil down to is people going to jail for fireworks.

It’s all boils down to breaking the law. That’s why there’s laws. Sounds like you lean to the left. You also condone speeding and running stop signs in residential areas? What about running red lights? Robbery, assault, murder...
Posted By: cbump

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 10:52 PM

Fire marshal and pd do here. But it’s hard for about 7 guys to quickly respond to and “investigate” 50 backed up fireworks calls. Especially when there’s still domestics, reckless drivers, thefts, etc still coming in.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/05/20 10:55 PM

Was at the ranch this weekend so missed fireworks. Sure there were plenty going off in my area even with burn ban and very dry conditions.

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by cbump

Fire marshal and pd do here. But it’s hard for about 7 guys to quickly respond to and “investigate” 50 backed up fireworks calls. Especially when there’s still domestics, reckless drivers, thefts, etc still coming in.

^^And that's what I'm talking about. Sometimes PD has to say "aint nobody got time for that".

68Rustbucket,
My recommendation to you, if you want enough officers to respond to every single call in less than 4 minutes is to start at city hall telling them they need more officers on the shift. Also, have a plan to increase taxes to pay for them.

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 01:03 AM

It’s all boils down to breaking the law. That’s why there’s laws. Sounds like you lean to the left. You also condone speeding and running stop signs in residential areas? What about running red lights? Robbery, assault, murder...

Yup, all those things are perfectly parallel with shooting off fireworks on Independence Day, inside city limits. rolleyes
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 01:50 AM

flag

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 02:07 AM

^^And that's what I'm talking about. Sometimes PD has to say "aint nobody got time for that".

68Rustbucket,
My recommendation to you, if you want enough officers to respond to every single call in less than 4 minutes is to start at city hall telling them they need more officers on the shift. Also, have a plan to increase taxes to pay for them.

We are already paying extra city tax, our area was annexed against our wishes several years ago. We receive no extra services that we weren’t already getting from the county. Rural water system, volunteer fireman, trash pickup, county LEO that would show a presence, and a dog catcher that would show up and do his job. So I don’t need the pay more tax speech. We seldom see a city LEO. And yes, they are understaffed.

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by LFD2037

Sounds like you lean to the left.

I'm as far right as you can get. Government overreach is something people on the right believe in. I guess you feel everybody should've stayed home, inside, w/masks on, hand sanitizer @ the ready & let our Nations Independence Day slip by silently?
How many houses burned down in your area from fireworks last night? I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it must happen very rarely as I've never been to a structure fire due to fireworks but what would I know.
It's more likely someone will blow their hand up & that's 100% on them. It happened to me when I was about 10. 100% my fault. Luckily it wasn't bad enough to blow fingers off but split the heck out of one of my fingers & got a decent burn. Oh well, that's the chance I took. Had a hell of a good time doing it. I was in city limits w/a very strong/ticketing police force yet, there I was.
I'm in the county & we had the most impressive fireworks display in my area that I've ever seen. It rivaled city shows I've seen.
No houses burned to the ground but I guess that's because we weren't in city limits. trout

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 02:49 AM

68Rustbucket,

We are already paying extra city tax, our area was annexed against our wishes several years ago. We receive no extra services that we weren’t already getting from the county. Rural water system, volunteer fireman, trash pickup, county LEO that would show a presence, and a dog catcher that would show up and do his job. So I don’t need the pay more tax speech. We seldom see a city LEO. And yes, they are understaffed.

So, you have corruption. That's a whole other can of worms to open.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 03:05 AM

Things definitely getting strange when like minded individuals start nitpicking at each other....seems to me “they” are starting to win.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 03:16 AM

Let's see.

Complains about being annexed by the city.
Doesn't like fireworks.

Karen?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Let's see.

Doesn't like fireworks.

Karen?

rofl
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 03:26 AM

Yup, all those things are perfectly parallel with shooting off fireworks on Independence Day, inside city limits. rolleyes

Sounds like a citizen's arrest was in order roflmao

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 11:11 AM

Laws are typically set up for the safety of citizens. Fireworks are often illegal in areas where #1, congestion exists or #2 because it is too dry. Damage from the illegal use of fireworks does take place, DnB knows it, Rusty knows it and so do I. We all know it. From Northridge, "Illegal Fourth of July fireworks display destroys 8 apartments . .". Rusty's admonishments of local responders may well be misplaced as there is no way any local PD could respond to all that was going on with fireworks while also maintaining normal duties not caused by the pent up emotions that led to the large explosion if fireworks.

The whole evening reminded me of the camp fire joke that led to Clayton's defeat and the rise of Ann's prominence. Frankly, it was mind blowing. As I watched from the back porch in almost utter amazement with large fireworks going off directly over my HOME, I had some quick decisions to make. I chose to sit back, monitor the situation and enjoy it. Just glad people were able to blow off some steam and that, from what I know, no one I knew or cared about was injured.

Here's the true words, "Things definitely getting strange when like minded individuals start nitpicking at each other....seems to me “they” are starting to win."

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 12:13 PM

Thanks for starting the thread Hud, BP down til New Years Eve. Hopefully I’ll be at hunting camp then.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 12:29 PM

We took the boat out to watch the Thunder over Cedar Creek airshow over the lake (the F-35A was awesome this year!) then went home to grill some Ribeyes. Then sat in our backyard and watched hundreds of fireworks blasting the sky around us for about three hours, in every direction.

No civil disobedience required and no complaints that I could hear or see.

Crappy cell phone pictures:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mako My Day

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 02:00 PM

The Governor of California banned all fireworks out here, and the display all around Monterey was amazing! Everywhere you looked, there were fireworks going off and we enjoyed them from the hotel. Didn’t read about any fires started here, and all was peaceful last night. Heading back to Texas tomorrow.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 02:12 PM

On July 3 and 4, Dallas police officers and fire inspectors issued a combined 10 citations relating to illegal fireworks while confiscating 822.3 pounds of fireworks.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/a...ks-in-dallas-fire-officials-say/2401164/

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ndhunter

On July 3 and 4, Dallas police officers and fire inspectors issued a combined 10 citations relating to illegal fireworks while confiscating 822.3 pounds of fireworks.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/a...ks-in-dallas-fire-officials-say/2401164/

Was BigPig involved in this?
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 04:06 PM

Looks a little fake , dont know

Posted By: Wytex

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 06:09 PM

They're legal year round up here. Not legal to shoot on public land though.
Our town had a nice little display that was echoed by someone on other side of town. Made for a nice show.
Only saw 1 vehicle up op the mountain above town this year watching from above, we might have to go up one time to see it.
We find a spot about 500 yds from the shooting area.

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 06:25 PM

Legal all year? That’s interesting.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Let's see.

Doesn't like fireworks.

Karen?

Yup....I found out where he lives.... cheers

[Linked Image]

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 07:52 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
Our town had a nice little display that was echoed by someone on other side of town. Made for a nice show.
Only saw 1 vehicle up op the mountain above town this year watching from above, we might have to go up one time to see it.

In Ruidoso the Inn of the Mountain Gods puts on a fabulous fireworks show. To watch it up close means about an hour plus of crazy traffic when it is over and you have to spend the day there to get a place to see it. We used to either go to the mountain top to the east, and waste about half that amount of time or sit in the loft and see the top 3/4's of the show. The grandkids decided the loft is better and they get plenty of treats with us at their beck and call. Looking down on the display is definitely better.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Marc K
We took the boat out to watch the Thunder over Cedar Creek airshow over the lake (the F-35A was awesome this year!) then went home to grill some Ribeyes. Then sat in our backyard and watched hundreds of fireworks blasting the sky around us for about three hours, in every direction.

No civil disobedience required and no complaints that I could hear or see.

Crappy cell phone pictures:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is an awesome pic with the F-35 the P-51 Mustang and the A-10. The F-35 or the A-10 came over our place early on.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 10:05 PM

PD has too much on their plate, FD, on the other hand is fully capable of being sent to all those "lift assist" calls that tie up EMS.

Sponsored by EMS from all over. roflmao

edit I should say stand alone EMS
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/06/20 11:24 PM

[Linked Image]

clap cheers

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/07/20 12:17 AM

up
Posted By: Concho

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/07/20 01:44 AM

In Ruidoso the Inn of the Mountain Gods puts on a fabulous fireworks show. To watch it up close means about an hour plus of crazy traffic when it is over and you have to spend the day there to get a place to see it. We used to either go to the mountain top to the east, and waste about half that amount of time or sit in the loft and see the top 3/4's of the show. The grandkids decided the loft is better and they get plenty of treats with us at their beck and call. Looking down on the display is definitely better.

up
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/07/20 04:19 AM

Yep , a good sized store just south of town. The places in Cheyenne sell more to Greenies than folks from Wyoming.
No shortage of bottle rockets up here.

Re: Civil Disobedience - 07/07/20 04:23 AM

Yep , a good sized store just south of town. The places in Cheyenne sell more to Greenies than folks from Wyoming.
No shortage of bottle rockets up here.

What’s a greenie? Transplant, tourist?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum