Texas Hunting Forum

Insurance PSA

Posted By: Hudbone

Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 10:44 AM

Wifeypoo recently went over the top and bought me a new shotgun. She got to thinking (someone has to do it for us) and requested I empty the safe, vehicles and wherever else there may be a weapon, put them all together, take photos and write down make, model and serial numbers. Got 'em all out and included the scope as well. Did it all, put them back in the safe and other places.

Note to many - our home policy does not have a limitation on firearms. Check yours. Too many companies have come to Texas or have changed their forms in Texas, to where coverage for firearms (in total) is limited to $2,500 or so. I would call that minimal and otherwise woefully insufficient.

Our safe is, well, safe. Although burglarized prior, reason for the safe and yes, the cows were out of the barn, I am not so concerned about theft of 'em all. That would suck, but it is unlikely. A fire could be a different story. That there safe is fire rated, but I fear the damage that could be done by heat in the unexpected event of a total loss. Anyways, why take chances. Writing down this information and taking photos [provides a visual representation of what is actually owned and would come in mighty handy at the unfortunate time of a major loss. it's just not that hard to do.
[Linked Image]
Please do not give me heartburn for owning a Tikka. At least it isn't chambered in 6.5 Creedmore.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 10:48 AM

cool
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 11:20 AM

We have done the same thing but also copied list and pics onto multiple flash drives and have them dispersed for safety.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 11:33 AM

I took photos.
Posted By: Sailor

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 11:40 AM

you know of course...…………….
insurance is a scam...………...

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 12:09 PM

Insurance is a burden and a cost. It's something you never hope to utilize and wish like heck you have it when you need it to respond.

You can say other than Hud's, insurance is scam, but don't go disparaging me and the tools I utilize to help others every single day of my life. The guy who just left my office cuz the big ol' tree fell on his home is particularly grateful right now.

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 01:16 PM

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 01:16 PM

Hud -- what's the blue sponge you're using? Assuming you use it to lightly oil?
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

He's right you know. up
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 01:36 PM

I concur.

Insurance is a necessary evil as far as I’m concerned. And it’s also my biggest expense.

I also did the photo and serial # recording during the recent shut in. My insurance homeowners policy only covers $2500 firearms loss. My deductible is more than that bang was thinking about an extra firearms policy. It’s $2.75 per $100 of value. Im still working on getting values, heck I’m having a hard time remembering when I bought most of my firearms.

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 02:00 PM

I've seen big trees fall without wind before, but this is ridiculous. Photos don't even do justice. Woke tree guy up at 6:30 and he has already been out there. Says he has to use a crane and I believe it. The house is on the other side of the garage. We fear the garage will tumble on to the home. Topping it all off, it's the neighbor's tree.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 02:06 PM

I've got pictures of everything, and pictures of the serial numbers. All of it is saved on the computer as well as offsite cloud storage.

I also have some brief write ups on some of the important guns in case something ever happens to me. That way my son will know what he's getting.

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 02:07 PM

It’s the neighbors tree? That’s gonna be a logistical nightmare! I’m constantly trimming trees that hang over my property line, that belong to neighbors that just don’t do anything about it.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 02:08 PM

I use an app on my phone called GunDB. You can add your guns with pictures, then add accessories and ammo for each gun. It will keep a running total of what your collection is worth including accessories and ammo. It will also separate the two, because scopes, lights, holsters and anything that is considered an "accessory" is covered by regular insurance. The gun itself is covered as the "gun" under the insurance. So you can have $1500 gun and a $1500 scope plus $300 in other accessories on your rifle plus $500 in ammo.

You might have a $3800 package, but if you have it all broken down $1500 goes on the gun insurance and $2300 goes on regular insurance.

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 02:08 PM

I’ve also got some huge cedar elms close to my house that really need to be taken down.

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 02:16 PM

Thanks for the GunDB heads up! I lovey this forum AND Sailor's Hump Day contributions.

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 03:01 PM

Does GunDB put the values on automatically?
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

No, you put in what you paid for them.

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
I've seen big trees fall without wind before, but this is ridiculous. Photos don't even do justice. Woke tree guy up at 6:30 and he has already been out there. Says he has to use a crane and I believe it. The house is on the other side of the garage. We fear the garage will tumble on to the home. Topping it all off, it's the neighbor's tree.
[Linked Image]

I have a similar problem. Waiting on the man. What price were you quoted?

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 03:40 PM

Didn't obtain a quote. it's an emergency action to prevent or otherwise minimize or other damage. Since it hit the structure, the insurance company will be on the hook. We are just using a crane and cutting off what is needed on our side of the property. That there tree owner will deal with the majority of the trunk and the root ball.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

No, you put in what you paid for them.

You put in what you paid or what you told your wife you paid?
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 05:32 PM

Just an FYI, with most policies that $2500 firearm limit only applies to loss by theft. Fire or any other cause loss has no limit.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
I use an app on my phone called GunDB. You can add your guns with pictures, then add accessories and ammo for each gun. It will keep a running total of what your collection is worth including accessories and ammo. It will also separate the two, because scopes, lights, holsters and anything that is considered an "accessory" is covered by regular insurance. The gun itself is covered as the "gun" under the insurance. So you can have $1500 gun and a $1500 scope plus $300 in other accessories on your rifle plus $500 in ammo.

You might have a $3800 package, but if you have it all broken down $1500 goes on the gun insurance and $2300 goes on regular insurance.

That's solid info, thanks.

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by mohunter
Just an FYI, with most policies that $2500 firearm limit only applies to loss by theft. Fire or any other cause loss has no limit.

What’s Hudbones thought on this statement?

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 05:57 PM

I'll have to research (and will).

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 05:59 PM

And neither, is true...………...

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sailor

Insurance is a scam is exactly what my nieghbor thought when his house burned and got a check for way more than his home was worth from his policy...And covered his living expenses for a year while the new house was built... I’m sure he would have been better off without having insurance.

A scam is exactly what the housewife that lost her husband to cancer and was paid $1,000,000 life policy was thinking as well...

A scam is what the parents of a sick child that ran up $900,000 in hospital bills was thinking as well.

A scam is what the guy that just totaled his new $80,000 F250 and is now driving another one paid for by his auto policy is thinking.

I guess you don’t need to waste your money on such a “scam”

I

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 06:11 PM

Sailor ie: flat earther

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 06:30 PM

Insurance is a scam is exactly what my nieghbor thought when his house burned and got a check for way more than his home was worth from his policy...And covered his living expenses for a year while the new house was built... I’m sure he would have been better off without having insurance.

A scam is exactly what the housewife that lost her husband to cancer and was paid $1,000,000 life policy was thinking as well...

A scam is what the parents of a sick child that ran up $900,000 in hospital bills was thinking as well.

A scam is what the guy that just totaled his new $80,000 F250 and is now driving another one paid for by his auto policy is thinking.

I

of course, you can find cases where ins, paid ………………
But for every one, you find..... I can find one as well...…...So what ……..
Insurance, is a ponzi scam...… ..………..
During the depression, only two industries were not affected..... Oil, and insurance....
And it hasan't changed...…….
Five years ago, my house was flooded, as were, most of the houses around the lake....
I called my insurance...They sent an adjuster out...………….
Denied my claim...… And said the reason my house flooded was a maintence problem.....
Hey, I got insurance.....on my cars......

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 06:49 PM

Why'd you allow the maintenance issue to get in the way of getting paid?

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 06:50 PM

I

of course, you can find cases where ins, paid ………………
But for every one, you find..... I can find one as well...…...So what ……..
Insurance, is a ponzi scam...… ..………..
During the depression, only two industries were not affected..... Oil, and insurance....
And it hasan't changed...…….
Five years ago, my house was flooded, as were, most of the houses around the lake....
I called my insurance...They sent an adjuster out...………….
Denied my claim...… And said the reason my house flooded was a maintence problem.....
Hey, I got insurance.....on my cars......

Sorry about your house but flood is not a covered loss without seperate flood insurance regardless of maintenance of any kind.
That’s like getting mad at your auto policy for not repairing the AC when it goes out.

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 07:01 PM

Too often, I find people who want more than what they pay for.

Re: Insurance PSA - 06/01/20 09:01 PM

Seeing some ambiguous info, but most likely just a theft limitation at least for USAA and State Farm. When going to and from the lease, my vehicle will have within

2 long rifles
a 22
shotgun
Judge
40 cal is always there

If stolen from the vehicle or if the entire vehicle is stolen, the personal property within is paid off the home coverage.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum